Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wilkies5
    • By wilkies5 17th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 116Thanks
    wilkies5
    Do I have to inform insurance company?
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    Do I have to inform insurance company? 17th Jul 17 at 7:43 PM
    I am considering getting rear parking sensors on my little Mazda 2. It has had a black box fitted already and I want to know if I should inform the insurance company of an adaptation such as this?
    Many thanks
    Wilkies5
Page 1
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 17th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 3,487 Thanks
    rudekid48
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    Check your policy wording, but most insurers will want to know about any modifications...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 25,445 Posts
    • 10,089 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    Speak to them first otherwise you may end up with a large bill and no insurance. Lots of insurers do not like modified cars.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 31st Jul 17, 8:07 PM
    • 10,195 Posts
    • 9,277 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 31st Jul 17, 8:07 PM
    • 31st Jul 17, 8:07 PM
    You could just not mention it and no one would know. If queried, (unlikely), you could just say,oh they were fitted when i bought it.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 31st Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 32,402 Posts
    • 16,496 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 31st Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 31st Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    You could just not mention it and no one would know. If queried, (unlikely), you could just say,oh they were fitted when i bought it.
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    Take care over this advice.

Your policy will require you to notify modifications and lying to insurers is never a good idea - especially following a claim when it is likely any undeclared modifications come to light

This would allow the insurer to void the claim and the policy. If a third party was involved and you were liable, although your insurer would deal with the third party claim they would then turn their sights on you to reimburse them.

A cancelled policy on your record is bad news
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 31st Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 10,195 Posts
    • 9,277 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 31st Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 31st Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    We hear you quentin but really the truth is that insurance cos are in the business of making money and will do their best not to pay it out. I guess a definition of a modification would be good.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • societys child
    • By societys child 31st Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 4,645 Thanks
    societys child
    • 31st Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 31st Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    I guess a definition of a modification would be good.
    Noticed recently that just about anything is regarded as a mod by some companies.

No more go-faster-stripes or STP stickers . . .

• C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 31st Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 10,195 Posts
    • 9,277 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 31st Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 31st Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    Noticed recently that just about anything is regarded as a mod by some companies.

No more go-faster-stripes or STP stickers . . .
    Originally posted by societys child

What about a yellow flower sticker on the boot of your micra?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 31st Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    • 32,402 Posts
    • 16,496 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 31st Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    • 31st Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    ..... I guess a definition of a modification would be good.
    Moneysupermarkets:

A car modification is a change made to a vehicle so that it differs from the manufacturer’s original factory specification.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 1st Aug 17, 10:15 AM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 4,645 Thanks
    societys child
    What about a yellow flower sticker on the boot of your micra?
    Ohh, I'm not sure, what does it symbolise?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,332Users online

Martin's Twitter