Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knebby
    • By Knebby 17th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Knebby
    Retention On Mortgage Until Lead Water Pipe Replaced
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    Retention On Mortgage Until Lead Water Pipe Replaced 17th Jul 17 at 7:22 PM
    Hi Everyone

As subject line really. Received the mortgage offer from the lender, and they are intending withholding a retention of £1.5k until the lead water supply pipe is replaced (From stop !!!! to tap, so our responsibility). This is based on the surveyors report which just says, "lead water pipe needs replacing" and no other information.

I realise that it is the lenders money at the end of the day and they can stipulate what ever conditions they like, but my understanding is that whilst "The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations" no longer allow lead piping to be installed, there is no legal requirement to remove and replace lead pipes in existing installations.

I also understand the potential health implications of having lead water pipes and would eventually have the pipe changed anyway, but this would be no small job with a lot of upheaval and cost.

Has anyone else had this before with any lender (This is Virgin) ? Is it worth challenging?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 31,632 Posts
    • 37,317 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    My solicitor has successfully challenged a retention of £15,000 in the past
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • PField
    • By PField 17th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    PField
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    Was this the basic valuation that brought up a lead pipe or did you pay extra for a survey?
    • Knebby
    • By Knebby 17th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Knebby
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    It was just the valuation survey that flagged this up.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 17th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 3,830 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    Does it need replacing because it is lead or because it's broken/faulty?

Btw In hard water areas the pipes are so full of lime scale that the lead pipes are no danger.
    • Knebby
    • By Knebby 17th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Knebby
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    I doubt for the valuation survey that the surveyor did anything other than check what material the incoming water pipe was made of. There is nothing to suggest it is broken or faulty.

What I am questioning is just how urgent is replacing the lead pipe, Virgin obviously believe urgent enough to keep retention monies. Surely there are still thousands of older properties still on lead supply pipes, do mortgage companies always insist these are replaced immediately?
    • keith969
    • By keith969 18th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    keith969
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    They presumably believe that it might affect the selling price - I'm guessing you have a highish LTV? It's worth challenging it, I had a lead pipe cold feed in an 1860's house, it was never queried, and there were far more urgent things to attend to anyhow.
    Heaven wasn't built in a day
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jul 17, 7:38 AM
    • 23,122 Posts
    • 88,472 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:38 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:38 AM

What I am questioning is just how urgent is replacing the lead pipe?
    Originally posted by Knebby
    Nobody knows. A pipe in an older property may be buried in walls and spring a leak due to chemical reactions over time, eroding it. The results can be spectacularly expensive, or just a steady drip.

It's a known unknown.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

710Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin