Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lukerichardson40
    • By lukerichardson40 17th Jul 17, 6:39 PM
    • 272Posts
    • 169Thanks
    lukerichardson40
    When does sick pay end?
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:39 PM
    When does sick pay end? 17th Jul 17 at 6:39 PM
    Hello all,

Thanks in advance for reading this, and I hope it makes sense.

I need some advice regarding when sick pay and absence due to sickness ends.

I work offshore on a 2/3 rota, 2 weeks away offshore, 3 weeks back home.

Recently I've suffered a bout of fairly severe depression. It's all dealt with and I'm feeling much better and back at work.

The issue is when work are considering me as no longer on sick pay and back on normal pay.

I had been poorly for a few months. I was signed fit to return to work on the 4/8/16. This was during my 3 weeks leave. So I did not return offshore until the 16/8/16 which was my usual rota. Work are considering me still 'sick' for those 12 days. It was their doctor I saw who signed me as fit to return.

Is this correct?

My analogy was as follows -

I go offshore on Wednesday (date A) as usual. 1 week later I turn my ankle and have to go back onshore and see a doctor. I receive treatment, and am certified fit to return 1 week later (2 weeks from date A). That means I have been 'sick' for 1 week. I am then on my leave rotation for 3 weeks. That 1 week sickness absence then turns in to 1 month because of my rotation. That doesn't make sense to me.

Any clarification or help or advice would be great.

Many thanks.

Luke
    Last edited by lukerichardson40; 17-07-2017 at 6:41 PM.
Page 1
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 17th Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    • 16,993 Posts
    • 25,990 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    When did you inform work you were fit to work? From the 16th what were you paid ?
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • lukerichardson40
    • By lukerichardson40 17th Jul 17, 6:58 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    lukerichardson40
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:58 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:58 PM
    Thank you for the reply Torry

It was works own doctor, work knew the very same day I had the appointment, the doctor wrote the report and emailed it to HR while I was there (template, he just put in my specifics in a few sections).

From the 16th I received no pay, they claim I owe them £10,500(!!!). This is why I am asking really. Over the course of my illness I had 5 absences. The difference between the dates I was certified as fit to return, all by their own doctor, and when I actually did return due to my leave period, add up to quite some time which they are claiming I owe them for, despite being good to go back.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 17th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 16,993 Posts
    • 25,990 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    We're you not entitled to SSP? How long were you sick and where does the £10500 come from
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    • lukerichardson40
    • By lukerichardson40 17th Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    lukerichardson40
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    Over the course of my illness I was off just under 6 months according to when I was signed fit again. Using the dates I was actually offshore is closer to 9 months. The 3 months difference is when I was on leave.

I am allowed 6 months full pay due to sickness. The £10,500 is what they say I was overpaid for the 3 months difference.

Am I making sense? Sorry if not, it's got quite complicated.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 17th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 4,777 Posts
    • 9,627 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    I'm assuming theyre taking issue with the fact youre only 'sick' on your rotation, so for every 2 weeks sick you're claiming three weeks normal pay.

Have they explained if you have hit some absence triggers. How many work days have you actually worked in the past 12 months. Does your last message mean you were on leave 3 months, 6 months sick and 3 months work?
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 17th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 4,921 Posts
    • 6,148 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    They are probably making the proportion of time you should have been scheduled to work but weren't match the proportion of time marked sick.
    Imagine a teacher who works 3 equal terms (and has no sick pay!)- if they are sick for one term then then the employer won't want to pay them more than 2/3 of their salary.

The other question is if your employer could reasonably have changed the rota to send you offshore immediately you were fit, and if they do this for other people.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 17th Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    • 16,993 Posts
    • 25,990 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    When was the 3 months in relation to the sick time?

• lukerichardson40
    • By lukerichardson40 17th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    lukerichardson40
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    i have a list of dates in a letter, I will write them up shortly.

I am allowed 6 months off on full pay, followed by 6 months on half pay.

The 6 months I am allowed off on full pay is inclusive of my leave. If I am sick and miss 2 trips offshore (4 weeks working), I am still 'sick' for the 3 week leave between those trip, which is fair enough I believe.

The trigger for half pay is 6 months off, including your leave on rotation if you haven't been signed fit to return.

Are you following? I'm sorry if I'm not explaining it too well.
    • lukerichardson40
    • By lukerichardson40 17th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    lukerichardson40
    To simplify it, I'll do it based on 1 rotation; 2 weeks away, 3 home.

1st WORK rotation.
    Week 1. No problem, work as usual.
    Week 2. Injury at start of week. Get sent onshore to the doctor. SICK LEAVE STARTS. 1 weeks sickness at the end of this week.
    1st LEAVE rotation.
    Week 3. Still injured. End of this week is 2 weeks sickness.
    Week 4. Saw doctor at the start of week. Fit to return. TOTAL TIME 'SICK' is 2 weeks.
    Week 5. Leave as usual.

Using that, I was sick a total of 2 weeks. But because work won't consider you off sick until you actually get back on the platform, that 2 weeks turns in to 4.

It's these couple of weeks which add up to cause the issue.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 17th Jul 17, 7:44 PM
    • 4,777 Posts
    • 9,627 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I imagine if that ratio hits a certain level they start to look at things with scrutiny. Same way that sickness close to leave triggers investigations in many other jobs.
    Youre saying this has happened a few times and has added up...

Start to finish (the time you are talking about) ignore the sickness factor for a second.

1. What was your normal amount of working weeks?
    2. How many weeks did you actually work?
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 17th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    General Grant
    The OP is blessed with corporate sick pay rather than just SSP so the company make the rules. I believe he needs to get hold of the detailed rules.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 17th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 4,921 Posts
    • 6,148 Thanks
    theoretica
    The 6 months I am allowed off on full pay is inclusive of my leave. If I am sick and miss 2 trips offshore (4 weeks working), I am still 'sick' for the 3 week leave between those trip, which is fair enough I believe.
    Originally posted by lukerichardson40
    Rather than just being the leave between trips, I suspect they look at sickness as blocks of 5 weeks - if you miss the 2 weeks you should have worked, they mark the entire 5 weeks as sick. They don't really care if you are sick or not when you aren't supposed to be working. But if (for instance) you only worked every other trip offshore for a year they would want the record to show 6 months sick, which would mean counting half your onshore leave time as sick.

We have something similar in my work handbook - if you are sick Monday to Friday they mark you down as sick for the weekend following too.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 17th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    • 2,945 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    Xbigman
    The OP is blessed with corporate sick pay rather than just SSP so the company make the rules. I believe he needs to get hold of the detailed rules.
    Originally posted by General Grant
    I absolutely agree. Its the companies own rules that count. You need to check if payroll/HR have applied their own policies correctly. If they have you have little option but to try and negotiate a repayment schedule.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,696Users online

Martin's Twitter