Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HomelessChump
    • By HomelessChump 17th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 4Thanks
    HomelessChump
    BT Infinity early cancellation
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    BT Infinity early cancellation 17th Jul 17 at 6:34 PM
    Hi folks,

I signed up to BT Infinity a few months ago and the line has been active for a month. I have no complaints, but the line speed is 40Mbps and I've just found out that Hyperoptic broadband is going live in my building next month. 100Mbps or 1Gbps here I come!

There's just the matter of what will be the 10 months remaining on my contract. From my reading, it seems to me I will pay a £30 cessation charge as I'd be turning the line off and £18 a month for my package (Infinity 1 Unlimited, weekend calls - see page 145 of the BT tariff handbook, which can be found by googling BT early termination charges). This totals out to £210.

I will soon be receiving my £200 prepaid Mastercard from BT and have already received £150 in credit on my account as compensation for some delays in activation. Even with the £210 to cancel, I think I would essentially be breaking even. The equipment is still boxed as I used my own and I can post it back.

Am I missing anything?
Page 1
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 17th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 2,839 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    Do you NEED more than 40mbps? Does 40Mbps prevent you from doing anything? What would you be using the 100Mbps or 1Gbps connection for?

Why not just see out your contract with BT then move to Hyperoptic if the deal is right at the time?

Seems like you're just throwing money away for the sake of a faster headline speed?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,163Posts Today

6,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin