Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,765Posts
    • 17,851Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
Page 93
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Oct 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 9,723 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Well, that was interesting! Today's food adventures continue . The chicken or turkey casserole turned out to be a sausage casserole, but, I really enjoyed it and if I had of had the choice of the three it's the one I would have chosen. So all's well that ends well .

I'm looking forward to tomorrows surprise dinner now. At least I don't have to think about what to have and make decisions while I'm using up UFOs from the freezer.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 17,851 Thanks
    caronc
    Well, that was interesting! Today's food adventures continue . The chicken or turkey casserole turned out to be a sausage casserole, but, I really enjoyed it and if I had of had the choice of the three it's the one I would have chosen. So all's well that ends well .

I'm looking forward to tomorrows surprise dinner now. At least I don't have to think about what to have and make decisions while I'm using up UFOs from the freezer.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Sounds as though you might need to plan some UFOs to enjoy in the futureSausage casserole is always so good
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 9,723 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Sounds as though you might need to plan some UFOs to enjoy in the futureSausage casserole is always so good
    Originally posted by caronc
    Yes, this has been an interesting week so far . Shame it had to cost the price of a new fridge/freezer though . I had to buy a new cooker in July last year, a new washing machine a month ago and now the fridge/freezer.

To top it off, the tv is playing up. Whenever I try to turn it on it makes a strange noise and has to be turned on and off a number of times before it comes on . This started yesterday. I'm getting so fed up of this now, and my savings are taking too big a hit for my liking . I've just looked up the date I purchased the tv and it was January 2008, so nearly 10 years.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 17,851 Thanks
    caronc
    Yes, this has been an interesting week so far . Shame it had to cost the price of a new fridge/freezer though . I had to buy a new cooker in July last year, a new washing machine a month ago and now the fridge/freezer.

To top it off, the tv is playing up. Whenever I try to turn it on it makes a strange noise and has to be turned on and off a number of times before it comes on . This started yesterday. I'm getting so fed up of this now, and my savings are taking too big a hit for my liking . I've just looked up the date I purchased the tv and it was January 2008, so nearly 10 years.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    It's always the case isn't it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    • 60,951 Posts
    • 356,037 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've just made a hot chocolate drink. No mini marshmallows though.
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 13th Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    poppystar
    A quick post to get us back on to page 1 of the sub forum!

Brekkie avocado on toast. Cue ten minutes scrabbling behind the washing machine and a very bruised shoulder to retrieve errant avocado stone..

Please don't let the whole of Friday 13th continue like this…I know its just superstition but when you start thinking about it…
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,347 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I forgot it was Friday the 13th!

I have the dentist this morning so I'm not eating any hard foods for brekkie as I can't be bothered to floss again as I did it last night.

I probably will be starving when I get home.

I know I'm having curry for dinner, but I'm not sure about lunch yet...
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 60,951 Posts
    • 356,037 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    No breakfast, just a coffee... last of the jar!

So I had to pop out this morning as I'd put off buying coffee until I actually ran out! So, no avoiding it. Also down to the last 2 tablespoons of washing up liquid. So I made a vague list.

Went to L1dl - bizarrely, last time I went I looked for basmati and they had none, so I looked again today and they still have none! I'll need to get that from 4ldi, I spotted the other week that they sell it.

I also looked for flour - could only see bread flour - but, now I'm home again, I wonder if the plain/SR was kept on the shelves near the eggs and not near the bag of flour I saw.... I do hate it when they split things up. If I want flour I expect it to all be adjacent. I'd intended to make a Yorkshire.

Sausage rolls came home with me too

Thought I was nearly out of spread, bought a new one, but when I put it away there's already a spare in the fridge

Stocked up on fizzy pop (4x2litres) as I took the car. 4x2litres is really a little too much weight for my trolley - one of those times when it will do it, but you do think that, over time, it'll weaken until there's a catastrophic collapse one day, so not worth risking it. The trolley's already paid for itself (£4) in parking/fuel savings, so I will eventually buy a new/robust one, in the next 2 years.

Total haul was over £10, which is a lot for me to spend in one go.
    Coffee, sausage rolls, eggs, milk, marg/spread, 4x125g of instant mash, washing up liquid, fizzy pop, dry spaghetti, 3 packs of custard, mini marshmallows (for drinking chocolate), pack of digestives.

Lunch will therefore probably be 2 sausage rolls and tea will be keema jacket spud. I also made a jam sponge yesterday, so now I've got custard I'll have the 2nd half of that jam sponge with custard

Healthy eating: There are some peas in that keema, if you look closely.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 13-10-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 13th Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    poppystar
    a
    Healthy eating: There are some peas in that keema, if you look closely.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Saw them and was very impressed and shamed that nothing green had passed my lips the whole day

Ok. So a friend has given me two humungous apples. I do not particularly like stewed apple (used to love it, not sure why not now) and there are too big for baking and eating at one meal - also they sometimes come with little inhabitants when they arrive truly organic from my friends' tree so would prefer to investigate rather than just cook whole.

Any quick and tasty ideas? Even nuke involving ones

Am in possession of an egg, some rice flour and butter if that helps. No biccis but there are cornflakes. OMG it's like that old cooking prog when contestants used to arrive with a bag of random things to be turned into something wonderful.
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Oct 17, 12:53 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 7,113 Thanks
    wort
    Been for foot injected this morning, so had 2 gf toast with seriously strong cheese spread for brekkie.
    Made piri piri chicken pitta with salad on for lunch, followed by muller corner, new winter flavour of spiced plum, which I enjoyed.
    Tea tonight has been prepared, I'm doing spicy pasta so I've cooked the onions and peppers, I will add mushrooms later, and the bit of chicken left from weds. Should really add a few green beans to help use them up. The obligatory cheese will go on top, and probably a bit of garlic bread.
    If I've room after all that the other scone with jam and cream will be scoffed!!!
    I should really be cutting down this week as I have to keep off my foot so won't be very active this week.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 17,851 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    It is truly horrible wet day here so I'm glad my shopping was being delivered. I got a quote for getting my front paintwork, fascure boards and door painted that I'm happy with hopefully in a few weeks it will all look lovely rather the tatty mess it is just now.
    Lunch was a crusty roll with peppered beef and coleslaw and tonight I think will be fish some how. Not sure how yet though
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Oct 17, 1:09 PM
    • 14,199 Posts
    • 38,498 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Re the humongous apples - well quick in preparation terms is the experiment I did the other day of just remove the "bad bits" from apples and chop into large pieces. Top with a bit of spices (I grated some cinnamon stick on). Put into crockpot on high for long enough (which turns out to be around 2 hours I think it was for 2 enormous apples worth).

Didnt have to add water or anything and I think it came naturally on the sweet side without adding any sweetening of any description.

So it was only a few minutes preparation and then just set the kitchen timer and leave. That was it/done.

Shall definitely be using that as my method of stewing apples in future - as it was so little hassle.

Must get some more experimenting in using that slowcooker - the quinoa and stewed apple experiments to date were successful and the rice one is going to be repeated (but a lot shorter cooking time next time) to see if that works out.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 60,951 Posts
    • 356,037 Thanks
    PasturesNew

.... two humungous apples. I do not particularly like stewed apple .... too big for baking and eating at one meal - also they sometimes come with little inhabitants when they arrive truly organic from my friends' tree so would prefer to investigate rather than just cook whole.

Any quick and tasty ideas? Even nuke involving ones
    Originally posted by poppystar
    I know what you mean about some items needing to be opened and checked .... always a worry with cheap potatoes for baking, so I'm glad I cut mine in half first

Apples .... well, they do go with cheddar, so if you fancy a cheddar/apple pie...

Nuking, could use the sponge recipe and grate some apple into the mix (I'd grate it onto paper towel and give it a press down to remove some moisture before adding it though as it's liquid so will alter the chemistry of cooking) - or just "wing it" and accept you might just end up with a slightly sloppy apple/sponge mound... but it'll still taste good.

You can chop them up and cook with pork/pork sausages ... some form of casserole, or even reshape into burgers. With/without pastry and/or dumplings. In fact, apple dumplings on a sausage casserole or pork stew is doable.

Biscuits could be baked - a simple recipe for biscuits... or apple flapjacks.

If you want to go down the nuke it route, just chop/toss apple pieces into a bowl with a spoon of sugar, ¼ teaspoon of cornstarch (as a thickener, flour at a push) and the same quantity of cinnamon and a tablespoon of water and some sultanas/raisins/similar. Cover/seal and nuke for ~2 minutes until hot. It'll be super heated though, so watch your hands if you do this ... I'd leave it sitting there for 2-3 minutes until it's cooled a bit. Lob some custard at it or ice cream or cream.
    ....crockpot on high for long enough..
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I was going to suggest that, but wasn't sure of quantities involved or poppy's crockpot size. 2 in a 3.5 litre is minimum.... 1 in a 6 litre just looks daft
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 13-10-2017 at 1:54 PM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 9,723 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone

I went out first thing this morning to put a prescription in at the pharmacy and while I was in the town I had a quick look at the market and there is a new fruit and veg stall there, their veg was quite a bit cheaper than the others so I bought a few things that I needed and will see how it keeps.

All I've had today is some Greek yoghurt and a banana for breakfast, and for lunch some more yoghurt this time with some berries, and I had a crumpet mid morning. I want to clear some of the berries from the freezer, which is why I had yoghurt for lunch. I've got far more than I need in the freezers. I'll start having them with porridge as well next week.

Dinner is again unidentified at the moment. It's a casserole of some sort. I've not even tried to determine what it is today. I thought I would wait until tonight and find out when I nuke it to go with the veg .
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 14,199 Posts
    • 38,498 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    My own crockpot is small size (basically suitable for 2 people I would say). Hence 2 large apples would be fine in it and I've got in twice as much as that and that's also been fine.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 5,724 Posts
    • 7,702 Thanks
    Farway
    . I picked the remaining toms from the hanging baskets and now have 2 huge bowls to sort through tomorrow.
    Originally posted by caronc
    You have done well with the toms Caron, mine were finished a month ago

Poppy two humungous apples, how about Irish apple cake? I made one the other week, using this recipe, modified for pleb like store cupboards, One just cannot get Organic English butter sometimes

https://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/i/irish-apple-cake.html Mine turned out lovely, used green top milk as well, not full fat. Never made on before so it must have been easy

Lunch was cheese with HM chutney on toast

Dinner, is 2015 bangers found in the freezer, with I think steamed fresh veg and maybe mash, def gravy & brown sauce
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 60,951 Posts
    • 356,037 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    My plans changed, popping out for my tea ... so I had the sausage rolls and made custard to go with yesterday's sponge leftovers for afters.

Now it's just a question of surviving the "loooong wait until I'm fed later .... so can't touch anything else until then".
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 13th Oct 17, 3:49 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    poppystar
    I was going to suggest that, but wasn't sure of quantities involved or poppy's crockpot size. 2 in a 3.5 litre is minimum.... 1 in a 6 litre just looks daft
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Poppy has no crockpot - in fact she had to google to find out what one was

Hadn't thought of the savoury route, with sausages or whatever, that is beginning to appeal …although will need to wait until have shopped for sausages but might make a nice weekend meal. Thanks.

Also used to do apple and cheese pancakes so that is another thought. Have a big (aren't they always?) pack of cheese slices lurking in fridge.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 5,724 Posts
    • 7,702 Thanks
    Farway
    Hadn't thought of the savoury route, with sausages or whatever, that is beginning to appeal …although will need to wait until have shopped for sausages but might make a nice weekend meal. Thanks.
    I've tried the sausages / apple thingy years back, it came under my OK category, bit like pineapple on pizza, some things are just not "right". Anyone remember the advert years back when Shredded Wheat was trying to sell more & tried convincing us a snotty egg on them was super cool & tasty

Mash is go for dinner, and I have decided to make extra and all set for something fried up with mash over the weekend, like Bubble & Squeak, or just thought of corned beef hash, sounds tasty & now I fancy it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 60,951 Posts
    • 356,037 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Have a big (aren't they always?) pack of cheese slices lurking in fridge.
    Yeah! L1dl had an offer on about 6 weeks ago, Emmental slices - 11 in a pack. Great .... but I really struggled to get through the lot because I stupidly bought THREE packs! I refused to admit defeat as their "BBE" date was approaching and soldiered on just to see the back of the s0ddin' things

Slices simply don't have the longevity of a block once opened.

They were great - and a great size - and I found great ways to eat them .... but once that pack's opened the clock's ticking .... and you can't freeze them because you'd then have to faff about separating the slices before freezing so you could take just one out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,625Posts Today

7,385Users online

Martin's Twitter