Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,410Posts
    • 15,920Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £125/£200
Page 90
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 8,316 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone

When moving the frozen food from the old freezer to the new one I found 6 unlabelled packages, and one of them looks like a nice piece of steak that I didn't know was in there. I'm going to have that with some salad and oven chips for dinner tonight. I'm looking forward to that .

I'm going to eat the other unidentified packages this week as well, so that they are all out of the way. Then I know that my list of what is in there is accurate. It will be interesting to see what I end up eating this week .
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Oct 17, 2:28 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 15,920 Thanks
    caronc
    Oooh caron - sympathies on having done your back in.

Been there/done that - and agh! it hurts and is a worry when living on your own. I really hated it when I did mine in a couple of times - and the money I landed up spending at an osteopaths to get it sorted asap.

Sympathies on that one. I well remember all that very cautious moving-around in case it hurt again. I felt like a bent-over crab.

Quick google as to what "crabbit" means - and have decided I might adopt that word myself. It's quite an expressive word for how I'm feeling right now myself - ie my brother is trying to manoeuvre me into being "a carer" to suit himself. I've told my parents to spend whatever money they need to to get whatever help they need to - but I've now realised my brother probably hasnt said that to them and is hoping I will "fill the gaps" so they dont spend any money I've "got news" for my brother = it's the 21st century now - where people don't get manoeuvred like that just because they're women. I shall be re-doubling my attempts to persuade my parents to spend it/fling it all away/its your money anyway to get whatever they need or want and expletive deleted re my greedy little brother....

So - lunch hasnt happened today and I'm about to send my brother something that will have him choking on his dinner. Errrm...yep...that means right now "I am livid" with him.

Dinner here today - yep...a CFO repeat of summat I did yesterday - so a concoction of lentils/spinach/onions. Guess I'll have it with the last of my home-grown tomatoes and some tahini sauce again. Still eating up lots of frozen fruit from the garden (both my own and other peoples) - so I guess that will be pudding after that.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Yes if it's not better by tomorrow I'll be phoning the physio who sorted it out last year after I damaged the sacroiliac joint in a fall last year, boy did the physio help though it cost a fair bit it was worth every penny and saved me serious long-term issues. I've been left with a weakness now so it "goes" every so often. "Crabbit" is a great word sums the mood up completely I think
    Afternoon everyone

When moving the frozen food from the old freezer to the new one I found 6 unlabelled packages, and one of them looks like a nice piece of steak that I didn't know was in there. I'm going to have that with some salad and oven chips for dinner tonight. I'm looking forward to that .

I'm going to eat the other unidentified packages this week as well, so that they are all out of the way. Then I know that my list of what is in there is accurate. It will be interesting to see what I end up eating this week .
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Sounds as though you could be in for some interesting meals this week
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £125/£200
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 5,588 Posts
    • 7,072 Thanks
    Farway
    Afternoon all

Bit of a damp day and not much to report, lunch was 1/2 a pork pie & salad

Dinner, is very much an unknown, I am veering towards ready meal for one liver & mash, but could easily become a cheese salad baguette

I am nearly out of fresh veg, just a bit of broccoli & cauli left. loads of frozen but I prefer fresh even though I know nutrition is the same

Lild tomorrow so time to get some fresh veg in, and maybe another 2 pack of frozen deluxe pies?
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Oct 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 5,998 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've been really hungry today. I had crumpets and jam for breakfast and then a huge baguette when I was out.

I then got chips on the way home for both of us. It's not even 4.30 yet.

A good excuse though to treat myself to a "posh" breakfast of toast, avocado, grated cheese and spoonful of salsa that I found lurking and that's three thing used up from the various tubs in the fridge.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Sounds nice!
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,312 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I bought a YS bag of spuds yesterday (£1/2.5Kg, 10 baking spuds) ... had TWO of those earlier, nuked, topped with cheddar and beans (new tin opened).

Then I finished off the bag of toffees .... so stuffed on sweeties.

Still super-full from that lot, too early to think of eating again/more.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 15,920 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Being welded to heat pad all day seems to have helped I can move a bit more without yelping, though if I drop anything it will be staying there and I suspect sleeping in my shoes could be a distinct possibility
    I've made an excutive decison that the small amounts that are LO of veggie chilli and refried beans are getting ditched. What's left isn't really worth freezing but otherwise they need "using or losing" today and I just don't fancy them tonight so I reckon I can manage to waste 50p worth (this is when I really miss having the pooch as he would happily have had them). That leaves a cooked corn cobette that I'm happy to eat tonight and the need to use up today stuff is all spoken for. There is lorne sausage and tattie scones lurking but I'm happy to freeze those and some cream & sour cream and salady bits will be fine in the fridge for a good while yet. Dinner tonight is going to be a one tray job involving a baked spud and aforementioned corn with either a wee 1/2 portion of HM lasagne that is lurking in the freezer or some chicken wings, I'll see which one is easiest to get with the least bending (I'm fine with this unless I attempt below knee high)
    Tomorrow I need to tackle tomatoes as there are loads ripe in the bowl and I think the time has come to pick all the remaining (lots) of cherry ones from the hanging basket most of which are either nearly ripe of completely green. I've had a smashing tomato crop this year and big bag of ripe ones are now in Cardiff .

ETA - froze the refried beans as there was a "proper" portion left
    Last edited by caronc; 09-10-2017 at 9:18 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,312 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I just had toast. The bread's dated 6 October and I'd been slack at freezing it ...which preyed on my mind. So I took two slices and checked it over for green spots and sniffed it (as mould smells too) .... and toasted it. Spread with cheapo L1dl marg

That'll do me today.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,312 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....trying to manoeuvre me into being "a carer" to suit ...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I saw that coming ...and ran away to Wales. Unfortunately, I "popped back" and ended up doing it through a sequence of unfortunate events....

It's tough saying "no" and meaning it - and those who are expecting you to do it are quite indignant that you won't just do it.... but you know you'd be "out of sight, out of mind", "trapped" while they go on living their life without a care 24/7.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    • 13,673 Posts
    • 37,171 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I saw that coming ...and ran away to Wales. Unfortunately, I "popped back" and ended up doing it through a sequence of unfortunate events....

It's tough saying "no" and meaning it - and those who are expecting you to do it are quite indignant that you won't just do it.... but you know you'd be "out of sight, out of mind", "trapped" while they go on living their life without a care 24/7.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Sounds like you've "been there/done that" to what I'm anticipating are the plans my brother has obviously always had for my life. My sympathies.

I'm rather anticipating an ambush at some point if I "pop back" again. I've told my mother for a long while to spend whatever money she needs to - be it on a cleaner/gardener/taxis/whatever will help. I think my brother probably doesnt want her spending a penny of her money if he can help it and will be trying very hard to trap me into "popping back" and being available and that money gets saved - at the expense of my life. I've witnessed him doing some downright attempted money grabs before now - so I had some idea what he was like. I'm hoping I'm not still a bit naive about him - as it only struck me in the last few days that he was behind my mother asking me several times over the years where I was leaving my house to - ie she (trans. he in actual fact) wanted it left to my brothers children. I dealt with that - and made a Will out fast and have left it to a Good Cause I favour.

So - right now - I'm trying to get him to also tell mother it's quite okay to spend her own money on whatever she wants and if there's nowt left there's nowt left and urge her to make life easier for herself. I have a suspicion he won't want to do that......

I'm anticipating an incoming attempt at guilt-tripping me any minute now...

I've had to stand up for myself to some extremely determined people in my life before now - so I have had practice at it and had some very good advice before now in those situations and the compliment of being told I was "two steps ahead" of who I was up against one time.

Basically I'm thinking it feels like the 19th century is calling - and it wants its ideas imposed on a person in the 21st century....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-10-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    #MeToo
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Oct 17, 10:55 PM
    • 13,673 Posts
    • 37,171 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    You've had it hard there Pastures. (Hope that's okay with you to say that - I'll delete if not obviously).

I do appreciate your comments on this and hope things will go better for you in the future.
    #MeToo
    • meg72
    • By meg72 10th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 45,197 Thanks
    meg72
    [QUOTE=moneyistooshorttomention;73240014]Sounds like you've "been there/done that" to what I'm anticipating are the plans my brother has obviously always had for my life. My sympathies.

I'm rather anticipating an ambush at some point if I "pop back" again. I've told my mother for a long while to spend whatever money she needs to - be it on a cleaner/gardener/taxis/whatever will help. I think my brother probably doesnt want her spending a penny of her money if he can help it and will be trying very hard to trap me into "popping back" and being available and that money gets saved - at the expense of my life. I've witnessed him doing some downright attempted money grabs before now - so I had some idea what he was like. I'm hoping I'm not still a bit naive about him - as it only struck me in the last few days that he was behind my mother asking me several times over the years where I was leaving my house to - ie she (trans. he in actual fact) wanted it left to my brothers children. I dealt with that - and made a Will out fast and have left it to a Good Cause I favour.

So - right now - I'm trying to get him to also tell mother it's quite okay to spend her own money on whatever she wants and if there's nowt left there's nowt left and urge her to make life easier for herself. I have a suspicion he won't want to do that......

I'm anticipating an incoming attempt at guilt-tripping me any minute now...

I've had to stand up for myself to some extremely determined people in my life before now - so I have had practice at it and had some very good advice before now in those situations and the compliment of being told I was "two steps ahead" of who I was up against one time.

Basically I'm thinking it feels like the 19th century is calling - and it wants its ideas imposed on a person in the 21st century....[/QUOTE

As another one who got trapped into an absolute nightmare situation and like PN paid the cost, in terms of my own health, collapsed with complete physical and mental exhaustion, I am praying that you stay as positive and strong as you are now. Its not going to be easy for you either way.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 10th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    poppystar
    Hi (and ditto PN on don'y quote will delete)

Perhaps we need another thread?!

I'm in the middle of similar at the mo. Effectively cut out of family when got ill. Not helped by other family member ingratiating themselves with parents, and who also ensured another inheritance was redirected to them - while I was getting charitable help just to survive. In fair never asked parents for money 'cos was always told there was none, only found out later this had happened. Now no more money likely to be had and job not going to be as easy as just saying 'aren't I wonderful' and pocketing money said family member washing hands of surviving parent. Cue everyone asking what i am going to do … or rather telling my what I ought to do. Not posting here as hardly eating or just grabbing what I can while feeling like I am just having to defend myself to people who didn't give a damn when I was fighting to keep roof over head.

Phew - better for that rant! all so bloody hard alone.

Best of wishes to money, PN and all those dealing with or have dealt with the same!
    Last edited by poppystar; 10-10-2017 at 9:36 AM.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 13,673 Posts
    • 37,171 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I certainly had a friend from a rather posher background than mine some time back (titles and a drawl in the voice type background) who was quite open with me about the way she manoeuvred into getting any money going ever and had a man supporting her and she hadnt worked for decades. That friendship was over the day she didnt seem to regard it as any big deal that I'd just literally probably saved her life (at some risk to my own) and she then went off into telling me about how she'd managed to pay a tradesperson less than NMW for doing a job for her by flirting with him. At that point - that was that and I didnt want to know her any more.

...and hoping Caron's back is feeling a bit better this morning?
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 10-10-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    #MeToo
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,312 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Breakfast: A "dipping pot" filled with chocolate fingers.

Proper food, eh

I've still 7 large bakers, but I've also a yearning for another cheese omelette. Who knows... the world of 2-ingredient food is my oyster
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Oct 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 5,998 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Some awful stories. I'm sorry you had to deal with all of that.xxxx
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 8,316 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    My steak that I was so looking forward to last night wasn't steak . It turned out to be four sausages, so I had two of those with salad and a few oven chips. I did enjoy it though so all ok .

I cooked all four sausages and I am going to have a sausage sandwich for lunch today, so that will be a nice change.

The packet that I grabbed from the freezer this morning with my eyes closed (I thought it would be more fun this way , looks like it is a stew/casserole of either beef or lamb, but as I got it so wrong yesterday it could be something entirely differend. Whatever it is I will serve with some steamed veg and mashed potato.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Oct 17, 2:46 PM
    • 5,588 Posts
    • 7,072 Thanks
    Farway
    Some awful stories. I'm sorry you had to deal with all of that.xxxx
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Ditto, very hard to know what one would do in similar circumstances, easy to say but not easy to do I would think. Counting my lucky stars it never happened to me, possibly because there was no money to be had in the first place?

Spot of luck on the Lild mooch this morning, two packs of YS Chilli con carne, one in the freezer and one for ?? Plus impulse buy of YS smoked salmon, with still a few days left on date. That sort of takes me through to weekend

Lunch was the last P/b baguette filled with cheese & salad bits

Dinner just not sure, the Chilli is calling but I have use it or lose it 1/2 pork pie left and think that will do the job, could put some chips with it to ensure I get carbs and fat daily allowance

The idea of PNs two ingredient food appeals, I have eggs & mushrooms lurking, could be omelette one day, once i have the smoked salmon out of the way

I just fancied something sweet yesterday, and thought of making a tea loaf, but no SR flour in the house. The seed is sown now and SR flour is on my shopping list. Didn't get it from Lidl this morning because years ago I had flour from there with something grit like in it and have avoided their flour ever since

I will probably get the mixed fruit soaking in tea overnight ready to bake tomorrow, if I remember and say awake thet long
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 13,673 Posts
    • 37,171 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Latest food experiment - have tried cooking quinoa in my slow-cooker. Now that did work out - 0.5 cup quinoa and 1 cup water and teeniest little bit of olive oil. Left on high for a lot shorter time than Google said. Google said 3 hours. I left it 1 hour. Possibly because it's only a small slow cooker and I was only doing a small amount?

The rice I cooked in the slow cooker the other day didnt work out - it all went clidgy and I landed up using it up by making a sort of rice pudding with it. But I shall have another go at some point - and with a much shorter cooking time than Google says and see how that comes out.

Lunch today was toast spread with Violife "cream cheese" equivalent I bought the other day to try out. It's a vegan cream cheese substitute and it's not bad - not quite the same as cream cheese. But - reasonable. So toast spread with this Violife stuff and some avocado on top and it was quite nice.
    #MeToo
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,312 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... I just fancied .... but no SR flour in the house. The seed is sown now and SR flour is on my shopping list.
    Originally posted by Farway
    I spend my life wishing I had XYZ. There's always something I've not got ... because, when you're CFO you simply can't have everything in the house all of the time like larger households can have.

Some things I deliberately run out of and have a gap (spuds/eggs).
    Some things I always have in the house (beans/cheese).
    Some things are bought in anticipation of making something specific (digestives/cheesecake), then I just eat the single ingredient and am back to square one.
    Some things I often think of and never get round to buying in because there's simply too much food and too many choices in the world - and as there's always something to be used up you never get to the point of having a clean sheet and thinking about these things and getting them.
    Some things are bought with intent - and loiter, never to be used (e.g. the lasagne sheets bought 3-4 years ago ... I keep intending to make a lasagne with, but haven't so far ...). Not really a fan of pasta/lasagne, so it's never on the "fancy that" list, but I have the sheets... TWO boxes bizarrely!

Earlier I made/ate a gorgeous fluffy cheese omelette, no chips or beans, just the omelette. GORGEOUS it was.... so lovely I just scoffed it PDQ without even getting it onto a plate
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 10-10-2017 at 4:45 PM.
    • katkin
    • By katkin 10th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 7,251 Thanks
    katkin
    Just lurking and passing through as technically I'm not a CFO. Though my hubby works shifts so I adapt and do enjoy this thread.

PasturesNew I've bookmarked your foodblog and congratualte you on an informative, interesting and enjoyable blog. You write well and I adore your stance and sensible no nonsence approach to cooking for one. I've learnt a lot from you and I consider myself a decent enough cook and like to try new recipes, ingredients and have a big freezer to hide my sins!

However, I still cant believe ive just found out how to do fish fingers in the microwave which i love but no one else will eat and as for your puds and quiches, boy are they quick, tasty and amazingly frugal. Your flour and suet mix in a box is great idea I now do! I could go on but I there is definetely a place for your style of cooking out there that people need to learn and you're doing a fab job letting us all know.

Well done and thank you xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

2,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin