Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,400Posts
    • 15,870Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £125/£200
Page 88
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 5,972 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I am making a spicy sweet potato and carrot soup for lunch.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • gt568
    • By gt568 6th Oct 17, 12:23 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 2,416 Thanks
    gt568
    Describe your BBQ/style - and what's on the menu?

I just nuked a burger in 2½ minutes and shoved it in a bread roll
    I'm d4mned if I'm going to spend £10 on equipment, that then needs storing, then coals etc .... then to wait and be smoked out for an hour to produce a burger that "tastes a bit better, but it's still eaten in under 1 minute flat".
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Full disclosure, I have a small gas grill I BBQ on.

However I do all kinds of chops, sausages, chicken breast, steak, burgers, fish, vegetables, the lot. And because it's gas it takes minutes generally. And tastes better.

I guess that is the rub, when CFO, I still want to eat what I think tastes nice. Clearly you see food purely as fuel, and that works for you, but I enjoy eating and so do a lot of others who CFO. Just because you see cooking as a faff doesn't mean we all do.

Yours isn't the only or best way to CFO.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 11,141 Posts
    • 62,149 Thanks
    kittie
    Full disclosure, I have a small gas grill I BBQ on.

However I do all kinds of chops, sausages, chicken breast, steak, burgers, fish, vegetables, the lot. And because it's gas it takes minutes generally. And tastes better.

Yours isn't the only or best way to CFO.
    Originally posted by gt568
    regularly eating BBQ food is bad bad bad, havent you heard of carcinogens? Yes that is what you input every time you eat BBQ food. I never but never eat the stuff

Snarky tone to your post too, no need for it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nalini-chilkov/grilling-health_b_1796567.html
    Last edited by kittie; 06-10-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    • gt568
    • By gt568 6th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 2,416 Thanks
    gt568
    Clearly I don't BBQ everyday!
    • gt568
    • By gt568 6th Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 2,416 Thanks
    gt568
    Snarky tone to your post too, no need for it
    Originally posted by kittie
    Not at all. Merely pointing out there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,255 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I have a small gas grill I BBQ on.
    Originally posted by gt568
    Ah, I can't do gas. Not too keen on any flames in a BBQ in any case. What does a small gas grill look like? I can't envisage one.

Gas = will spontaneously blow up and explode, either while I'm using it, or randomly in the middle of the night when it's been in the shed for X months.

I have to refill lighters standing in the middle of the garden ... and keep the little gas canister outside too.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 06-10-2017 at 2:07 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 13,659 Posts
    • 37,139 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    ..and I'm in the middle on this.

I would barbecue food per se if I fancied it - because I am pretty experimental with food and sometimes will make the effort to experiment and make something new to me on the one hand.

On the other hand - I avoid barbecued food - because I've also read articles about it not being a healthy idea.
    #MeToo
    • Farway
    • By Farway 6th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 7,045 Thanks
    Farway
    Toaster oven: Bottom shelf, foil on the tray, tray on the rack.
    Two sausage rolls.
    Upside down at the front of the tray.
    No pre-heating. 195°C, top and bottom elements on.
    10 minutes. Done.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Thanks, noted for use this weekend.

I did get some of the Lild sausage rolls, the "posh" ones at £1.09, not the everyday ones. I've also nicked your marmalade pud recipe and again a trial this weekend is very likely, although I've never had much success in microwave sponge type puds and in a way a fail here could be the best result calorie wise

I was on lookout in Lidl for lamb chops on offer, but they were scrawny looking things, and 4 in pack, too many and not enough value for me. I did buy frozen pies offer, Moroccan lamb, which will be a first for me, never had anything slightly Moroccan food tasting.

Yesterday dinner finished up with the Iceland mice beef hotpot, comes under the OK category, I will not bother again. It was only a quid so my expectations were not high. Especially when I spotted "Bamboo fibre" in the ingredients list OK for pandas I guess

Lunch was good old cheese salad sarnie, and a doughnut

Dinner will be YS ready meal Hunters' chicken and wedges. Not sure what, if anything, to put with it

PS, I'm on fence with BBQ food. I would not bother just for me, but if I'm round somewhere and one is going I'm in there
    Last edited by Farway; 06-10-2017 at 2:48 PM. Reason: PS
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 6th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 8,264 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone

PN another one here who has written down your marmalade pudding recipe, it sounds really nice and quick and easy.

I've been out all day looking at fridge freezers. I think I have spent more on coffee out today than I have for the previous 5 years .

At least I now know what I want. I've narrowed it down to two and it's just a matter of checking the online reviews and then finding it at the best possible price.

Before I went I had a large breakfast to keep me going of scrambled eggs on toast followed by another couple of slices of toast. I took a banana and two sandwiches with me, one for the train journey there and one for the return trip , so that was lunch.

Dinner will be a dusted haddock fillet, oven chips and peas. Nice and easy . I don't want to be spending time cooking tonight because I want to check the reviews and prices for the f/f and place an order.
    • elona
    • By elona 6th Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 59,416 Thanks
    elona
    Youngest dd is staying over so I am cooking tarragon chicken with pasta. A large casserole pot of bolognese sauce is finishing off in the oven for an hour or so and will be cooled down and put in the fridge so that tomorrow I just need to make a cheese sauce and assemble a huge lasagne as I don't know if we are four, five, six or more for an evening meal.

Family are taking me on a trip to the beach and meeting up with a couple of relatives for a drink and a catch up so trying to prepare ahead as much as I can.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    • 11,141 Posts
    • 62,149 Thanks
    kittie
    I am not at all hungry this evening but ate some rye crispbreads and a small chunk of cheese and a kiwi. I am hot though, seem to have been baking bread all afternoon, was very tricky as the doughs were way far too wet and sticky. Anyway success but I ended up with 4 loaves of sd (6.5 lb in weight) and I miscalculated the cost of the spelt bread, only 50p for the equivalent size loaf that I bought a few days ago.

I found a much easier spelt recipe on the net, uses less sd, will make that one next time. If anyone wants it let me know. The other 2 loaves are interesting, thirds of peasant heritage flour with ryes, pea and bean as flours, strong white and a crunchy malt flour. I`ll have a chunk of that one with soup tomorrow. I bet it is fantastic. Must make notes now with better estimates of flour and water for next time and will also aim to raise all night in the fridge. Sd is slow bread

Having a nice cold drink now, cool ginger on ice and planning on what to do this evening, so I stay awake until 10. Won`t take much for my eyelids to droop. Nice food Elona, bet they love coming to yours
    Last edited by kittie; 06-10-2017 at 6:11 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 2,400 Posts
    • 15,870 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Just popping in to say "hi", I'll have a proper read back when CFO life resumes on Monday.
    I'm up to my armpits in prepping for dinner for 12 tomorrow.
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £125/£200
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 6th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 25,865 Posts
    • 104,783 Thanks
    candygirl
    Good evening everyone,
    Just popping in to say "hi", I'll have a proper read back when CFO life resumes on Monday.
    I'm up to my armpits in prepping for dinner for 12 tomorrow.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Rather you than me hun! Hope it all goes well 😁
    Just had a piece of yesterday's frittata, wedges n Heinz curry sauce.Was delish 😁
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 2,400 Posts
    • 15,870 Thanks
    caronc
    Rather you than me hun! Hope it all goes well 😁
    Just had a piece of yesterday's frittata, wedges n Heinz curry sauce.Was delish 😁
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Thankfully I'll I've plenty of helpers on the day. I'm doing Tex-Mex so some stuff is best done today so the flavours can develop so far Beef Barbaco (Mexican pulled beef) and a Squash & brown lentil chill are made. Pinto & turtle beans have been cooked to make refried beans and the rest will be done tomorrow. It will be bedlam but should be great fun
    • wort
    • By wort 6th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 6,554 Thanks
    wort
    Dd1 was due to come for tea today, so I nipped out for green beans, already had broccoli, but she doesn't eat that, I put a joint of beef in the oven. Then saw the text saying shed been for a filling, and was feeling awful, with a bad head. I told her to stay home as she has a 45 min drive.So she will come tomorrow , so I've sliced the beef into the gravy, par boiled the pots ready to roast,and the veg is ready to go. I've now invited dd2 with dgson, as they are alone tomorrow too. There should be just enough for 4.

So tea was a gluten free ciabatta roll warm with allioli and rocket,cheese, and gf chicken goujons, with a few chips and extra cheese and allioli on them too!!! Deelish!

Did someone post about cheese sauce done in the microwave? ? I'm back off holiday and saw a mention but although I've read back I can't see the post.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,255 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Pub meal scoffed. Utterly .... kn4ckered. I'll nod off in a bit I think.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 7th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 5,972 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    The HM soup was delish. I have a huge bowl leftover for lunch today.

I had porridge, almond milk and sliced banana for breakfast, along with rooibos tea.

I'm not sure about dinner yet.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,255 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Breakfast: scrambled eggs, beans, toast.
    Lunch: 4 digestives.

EDIT:

Later Lunch 2: beans/cheese on toast (bread's dated yesterday; cheese dated yesterday and drying out; beans already opened) - so I went with "easy stuff".
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 07-10-2017 at 2:43 PM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 8,264 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone

I've had a lot of Greek yoghurt with honey today. The first lot was breakfast with a banana, I went out and when I came back had some more, and I've just had a toasted cheese sandwich followed by another yoghurt. I found a 500g tub at the back of the fridge that is 10 days out of date so I thought I would eat it up today. The only worry is that the fridge temperature is fluctuating so much at the moment. I'm sure I will be ok though .

Dinner will be a pie and chips from the freezer. I'm finding things that I didn't know were in there.

The cost of a new f/f is a lot to find out what's lurking in the freezer though .
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,255 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Did someone post about cheese sauce done in the microwave? ? I'm back off holiday and saw a mention but although I've read back I can't see the post.
    Originally posted by wort
    I wrote it - and I struggled to find it again myself

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73105360&postcount=1231

That's the white bit - to make it cheese, just have it a bit more watery and add cheese (the cheese thickens it). Too cheesy, add milk.... not cheesy enough, add cheese. Simples.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

270Posts Today

1,429Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin