Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,763Posts
    • 17,848Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
Page 88
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,794 Thanks
    kittie
    I am not at all hungry this evening but ate some rye crispbreads and a small chunk of cheese and a kiwi. I am hot though, seem to have been baking bread all afternoon, was very tricky as the doughs were way far too wet and sticky. Anyway success but I ended up with 4 loaves of sd (6.5 lb in weight) and I miscalculated the cost of the spelt bread, only 50p for the equivalent size loaf that I bought a few days ago.

I found a much easier spelt recipe on the net, uses less sd, will make that one next time. If anyone wants it let me know. The other 2 loaves are interesting, thirds of peasant heritage flour with ryes, pea and bean as flours, strong white and a crunchy malt flour. I`ll have a chunk of that one with soup tomorrow. I bet it is fantastic. Must make notes now with better estimates of flour and water for next time and will also aim to raise all night in the fridge. Sd is slow bread

Having a nice cold drink now, cool ginger on ice and planning on what to do this evening, so I stay awake until 10. Won`t take much for my eyelids to droop. Nice food Elona, bet they love coming to yours
    Last edited by kittie; 06-10-2017 at 6:11 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Just popping in to say "hi", I'll have a proper read back when CFO life resumes on Monday.
    I'm up to my armpits in prepping for dinner for 12 tomorrow.
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 6th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    Good evening everyone,
    Just popping in to say "hi", I'll have a proper read back when CFO life resumes on Monday.
    I'm up to my armpits in prepping for dinner for 12 tomorrow.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Rather you than me hun! Hope it all goes well 😁
    Just had a piece of yesterday's frittata, wedges n Heinz curry sauce.Was delish 😁
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    caronc
    Rather you than me hun! Hope it all goes well 😁
    Just had a piece of yesterday's frittata, wedges n Heinz curry sauce.Was delish 😁
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Thankfully I'll I've plenty of helpers on the day. I'm doing Tex-Mex so some stuff is best done today so the flavours can develop so far Beef Barbaco (Mexican pulled beef) and a Squash & brown lentil chill are made. Pinto & turtle beans have been cooked to make refried beans and the rest will be done tomorrow. It will be bedlam but should be great fun
    • wort
    • By wort 6th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 7,113 Thanks
    wort
    Dd1 was due to come for tea today, so I nipped out for green beans, already had broccoli, but she doesn't eat that, I put a joint of beef in the oven. Then saw the text saying shed been for a filling, and was feeling awful, with a bad head. I told her to stay home as she has a 45 min drive.So she will come tomorrow , so I've sliced the beef into the gravy, par boiled the pots ready to roast,and the veg is ready to go. I've now invited dd2 with dgson, as they are alone tomorrow too. There should be just enough for 4.

So tea was a gluten free ciabatta roll warm with allioli and rocket,cheese, and gf chicken goujons, with a few chips and extra cheese and allioli on them too!!! Deelish!

Did someone post about cheese sauce done in the microwave? ? I'm back off holiday and saw a mention but although I've read back I can't see the post.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 60,949 Posts
    • 356,013 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Pub meal scoffed. Utterly .... kn4ckered. I'll nod off in a bit I think.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 7th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 7,331 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    The HM soup was delish. I have a huge bowl leftover for lunch today.

I had porridge, almond milk and sliced banana for breakfast, along with rooibos tea.

I'm not sure about dinner yet.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 60,949 Posts
    • 356,013 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Breakfast: scrambled eggs, beans, toast.
    Lunch: 4 digestives.

EDIT:

Later Lunch 2: beans/cheese on toast (bread's dated yesterday; cheese dated yesterday and drying out; beans already opened) - so I went with "easy stuff".
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 07-10-2017 at 2:43 PM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone

I've had a lot of Greek yoghurt with honey today. The first lot was breakfast with a banana, I went out and when I came back had some more, and I've just had a toasted cheese sandwich followed by another yoghurt. I found a 500g tub at the back of the fridge that is 10 days out of date so I thought I would eat it up today. The only worry is that the fridge temperature is fluctuating so much at the moment. I'm sure I will be ok though .

Dinner will be a pie and chips from the freezer. I'm finding things that I didn't know were in there.

The cost of a new f/f is a lot to find out what's lurking in the freezer though .
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 60,949 Posts
    • 356,013 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Did someone post about cheese sauce done in the microwave? ? I'm back off holiday and saw a mention but although I've read back I can't see the post.
    Originally posted by wort
    I wrote it - and I struggled to find it again myself

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73105360&postcount=1231

That's the white bit - to make it cheese, just have it a bit more watery and add cheese (the cheese thickens it). Too cheesy, add milk.... not cheesy enough, add cheese. Simples.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 5,724 Posts
    • 7,702 Thanks
    Farway
    Originally posted by wort
    Here you go, copyright is PN's

There are no measurements, it is by guess & by God

Cheese sauce in a microwave

Into a bowl, knob of butter. Nuke to melt.
    Add the flour, stir until smooth.
    Add a bit of milk, stir until smooth ... repeat a few times.
    Nuke a bit (30 secs or so), check/stir and stare at it, how's it coming along?
    Add more milk as you decide/require.
    Nuke/stir/look a few more times
    When it "looks about right", lob the grated cheese in, stir.
    Nuke to melt the cheese, stir it ... does it need more cheese or milk? Add if required, stir, nuke.. serve.

It's easier done than it sounds ... it comes down to: You know what's in it... you know how you expect it to look .... so lob the stuff in until it's the right consistency.

Works for me, used it just this week for cauliflower cheese

Nothing in the shops worth getting, so came home empty handed

Lunch was two of the Lild sausage rolls, heated in the mini oven. Sorry but not to my taste, I think I prefer cold ones TBH

Then two slices of marmalade toast. Should have avoided but really fancied it, which is another CFO plus

Dinner really is ???? Lots of choice but may finish up with cheese on toast because I have been collecting crusts and they need eating instead of staring at me when ever I look in the fridge. May go exotic and add a tin of cheapo spaghetti to them, which I know will be another disappointment

Off out along the seafront with the grandchildren tomorrow so a day off CFO
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 60,949 Posts
    • 356,013 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Here you go, copyright is PN's

There are no measurements, it is by guess & by God
    Originally posted by Farway
    Blimey, you found a better rendering of it than I did. Losing my touch!

For measurements: Start with identically sized amounts.... I usually start with a heaped teaspoon, or a heaped tablespoon, depending what I'm making it for.

Teaspoon's enough for starting a slice of Welsh rarebit .... tablespoon for mac cheese.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 60,949 Posts
    • 356,013 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... tin of cheapo spaghetti to them, which I know will be another disappointment
    I found a splash of balsamic vinegar made these better/easily. My first bottle of balsamic, my first foray into "buying strange foreign posh stuff", 4ldi, 59p/bottle. Handy for cheapo spaghetti I find.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 5,724 Posts
    • 7,702 Thanks
    Farway
    Blimey, you found a better rendering of it than I did. Losing my touch!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    No, I wrote it out in Word some time back, now just copied & pasted

Getting a bit peckish, I am now going to try out the PN nuke a jam sponge in a jug pud

I will report back later
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 60,949 Posts
    • 356,013 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    No, I wrote it out in Word some time back, now just copied & pasted

Getting a bit peckish, I am now going to try out the PN nuke a jam sponge in a jug pud

I will report back later
    I've a whole secret blog of it all ... but I'm ashamed of the mostly cr4ppy photos (very very poor dim lighting in the kitchen means in winter they can hardly be seen; in summer very very limited space ... and no "lifestyle/soft focus" shots). That's why I don't declare its location

One of the problems is that, CFO, I often just eat with a big spoon from the dish things are cooked in - which tend to be old microwave plastics - which don't make for great photos either.... and with 0 attention to presentation as "it's just for me".

My cooking experience/style and retro eating habits aren't for most people.... so it's best to stay quiet and just let random googlers discover the bit they were looking for.

But if what I do works for some of you, I might one day declare where it is.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 07-10-2017 at 3:15 PM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

But if what I do works for some of you, I might one day declare where it is.
    Works for me . I just fancied something different and made your marmalade nuked pudding, and wow was that good. I had it with custard and it is delicious, and so quick and easy. I was looking at the rest and thinking that I should probably save it for tomorrow, but I think it will probably get eaten at some point this evening, as a snack while watching tv .
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 7th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    poppystar
    I found a splash of balsamic vinegar made these better/easily. My first bottle of balsamic, my first foray into "buying strange foreign posh stuff", 4ldi, 59p/bottle. Handy for cheapo spaghetti I find.
    Balsamic vinegar PN It'll be chai seeds next!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 60,949 Posts
    • 356,013 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've a feeling .... some of you might soon be ready for my "instant DIY Goblin puddings" recipe

We'll wait a bit, it's not "proper winter" yet.

http://www.simpsonsfoods.co.uk/more_info.asp?current_id=95
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 07-10-2017 at 4:38 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 14,195 Posts
    • 38,496 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Balsamic vinegar PN It'll be chai seeds next!
    Originally posted by poppystar
    Ooh I am so going to tease her if it is
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Oct 17, 5:06 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I've a feeling .... some of you might soon be ready for my "instant DIY Goblin puddings" recipe

We'll wait a bit, it's not "proper winter" yet.

http://www.simpsonsfoods.co.uk/more_info.asp?current_id=95
    Oh yes, I had forgotten about them. I used to love them many moons ago. They used to be in tins. They're something else that I tried again a few years back, and I felt the same way about them as I do the Fray Bentos pies!.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,153Posts Today

6,722Users online

Martin's Twitter