Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,388Posts
    • 15,815Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £125/£200
Page 87
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 5th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 5,965 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I didn't have tofu scramble as I went out to get bread and so just had a can of soup and the fresh bread instead for lunch.

It's the caffeine, it affects the pressure in your ears and also certain receptors in your brain which can trigger vertigo, it was the first thing I had to drop when I developed meniere's disease.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I don't get it with coke or strong tea, though. It's strange. I think there is something else in coffee that I am sensitive too. I can't even have decaf coffee without feeling ill afterwards.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Farway
    • By Farway 5th Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    • 5,577 Posts
    • 7,033 Thanks
    Farway
    Oh how I miss proper strong coffee in the morning, even decent decaff beans aren't the same, but it sends my Meniere's haywire so it's no-no.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I'm another with coffee problems. "real" stuff gives me stomach ache & makes me dizzy. I'm OK with instant but have to limit that to just a couple a day or tum troubles.

PN They are very tasty ... mmmm (L1dl, Chef Select, 6 for £1.05).
    Thanks for tip, I'm in there tomorrow and could just get some, as I try and avoid the Stollen aisle a sausage roll hunt could be a useful distraction

Dentist first thing, I now need a filling refurbished.

Into Morries on way home, another pork pie slipped into the trolley, as did a 50p pack of doughnuts

I was really looking for easy meals for one, got liver & bacon, love that and really CBA mucking around buying ingredients & prepping it

Also picked up a YS Hunters' chicken & wedges ready meal.

Both are in the Traditional range. Now I know I'm old but since when was Hunters' chicken traditional? Did the lasses from t'mill, or tin miners, get home to a steaming plate of Hunters' chicken. I'm willing to bet even hunters didn't.

Lunch was cheese salad sarnie, and two jam doughnuts

Dinner is either a frozen ready mince hotpot or Hunter chick. Not sure yet. Both are bung in oven & the accompaniment will be steamed fresh veg, just depends how I feel in an hour or so
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 8,220 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone

I've just been 'grazing' on food today. I had a banana and some toast for breakfast, then a crumpet mid morning followed by cheese on toast at lunchtime.

Dinner will be whatever I can drag out of my poorly freezer later before it defrosts all over the kitchen floor .

I was just going out this morning and went into the kitchen without shoes on and realised that my feet were getting wet. It turns out that there is water coming from the back of the fridge/freezer. An engineer has been out and declared it not worth repairing. It is a 16 years old Bosch, so doesn't owe me anything.

So I've been researching fridge/freezers all day and have narrowed it down to another Bosch, a Liebherr (I hadn't heard of them until today, but they seem to get pretty good reviews and are either made by the same manufacturers as Miele or at the same factory, there seems to be some confustion over this on the internet), or a Hotpoint as it is a very good size for the money. There was a Miele I would have bought as it was greatly reduced, but surpirse surprise it is out of stock.

If any of you have any experience of these makes or suggestions of other makes I would be grateful for your input.

I want a 50/50 split and as large a freezer as possible (no surprises there ).

The Liebherr has a small net fridge space of 165 litres and a freezer net space of 129 litres so very large. It isn't that often that the fridge on my current one is full. Cheapest I can find this one is £429.99

The Hotpoint has a net fridge space of 204 litres and 124litres of freezer space. The cheapest I can find this is £549.

The Bosch one has a net fridge space of 214 litres and 105 litres of freezer space. The cheapest I can find this is £649. I think I'm only considering this one because of the reputation that Bosch has, or I 'think' it has. I could be wrong .
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 11,132 Posts
    • 62,115 Thanks
    kittie
    Liebherr, absolutely wonderful fridge. Mine grew too small for me so dd had it and it is going strong. It is a make that I would buy again

I read something about flammable plastic backs on many new fridges, not all and it would be worth researching that
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 8,220 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Liebherr, absolutely wonderful fridge. Mine grew too small for me so dd had it and it is going strong. It is a make that I would buy again

I read something about flammable plastic backs on many new fridges, not all and it would be worth researching that
    Originally posted by kittie
    Thanks Kitty. Liebherr seem to get good reviews, and it certainly looks good value.

Now you mention it, I remember reading something about the plastic backs as well, and how some manufacturers are using plastic instead of the more expensive aluminium. I'll check that out now.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 5th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 4,509 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    is it something that was brought to light after the grenfell tower fire, i think it was started by a fridge with a flammable back panel??
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 8,220 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    is it something that was brought to light after the grenfell tower fire, i think it was started by a fridge with a flammable back panel??
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    Yes, you are right it was a Hotpoint that started the fire. The Which? web site lists makes/models which are fire retardant and those which are not. It's put me off Hotpoint, so that ones not in the running now.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 5th Oct 17, 5:54 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 6,372 Thanks
    jackyann
    Are you able to have a good look at the Liebherr before you buy? I'm glad that Kitty had a good experience. I found mine (I bought it 2005) rather awkward, and I passed it on. I couldn't seem to make good use of the space. I broke a couple of things on it, and the replacements were expensive.
    However, a lot may have changed in 12 years!
    My 5 year old LG has had no problems and I haven't broken anything in it either!
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 8,220 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Are you able to have a good look at the Liebherr before you buy? I'm glad that Kitty had a good experience. I found mine (I bought it 2005) rather awkward, and I passed it on. I couldn't seem to make good use of the space. I broke a couple of things on it, and the replacements were expensive.
    However, a lot may have changed in 12 years!
    My 5 year old LG has had no problems and I haven't broken anything in it either!
    Originally posted by jackyann
    I think I'm going to have to go and have a look at some. I am starting to get myself really confused now. We don't have many electrical shops in the town where I live so may have to go a bit further. I'll ask my neighbours if any of them have got any spare space in their freezers in case it gives up working at all, but it is probably better to lose the cost of the food in the freezer rather than make an expensive mistake by buying a fridge/freezer that doesn't suit my needs.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 60,272 Posts
    • 352,132 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... perfect for BBQs....
    Originally posted by jackyann
    As a sweeping statement, CFOs don't do BBQs, no need for BBQ food. It's simply not on the radar....
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Oct 17, 8:41 PM
    • 60,272 Posts
    • 352,132 Thanks
    PasturesNew

PN They are very tasty ... mmmm (L1dl, Chef Select, 6 for £1.05).
    Thanks for tip, I'm in there tomorrow and could just get some, as I try and avoid the Stollen aisle a sausage roll hunt could be a useful distraction
    Originally posted by Farway
    Toaster oven: Bottom shelf, foil on the tray, tray on the rack.
    Two sausage rolls.
    Upside down at the front of the tray.
    No pre-heating. 195°C, top and bottom elements on.
    10 minutes. Done.
    • gt568
    • By gt568 5th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 2,416 Thanks
    gt568
    As a sweeping statement, CFOs don't do BBQs, no need for BBQ food. It's simply not on the radar....
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Just because it's not on yours doesn't mean it isn't on others. I BBQ regularly for one.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    • 60,272 Posts
    • 352,132 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    £429.99
    £549.
    £649.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    I'm out of my depth. I thought I'd overspent a fortune when I spent £200 on one Still smarting from that, 3 years on!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Oct 17, 8:47 PM
    • 60,272 Posts
    • 352,132 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I BBQ regularly for one.
    Originally posted by gt568
    Describe your BBQ/style - and what's on the menu?

I just nuked a burger in 2½ minutes and shoved it in a bread roll
    I'm d4mned if I'm going to spend £10 on equipment, that then needs storing, then coals etc .... then to wait and be smoked out for an hour to produce a burger that "tastes a bit better, but it's still eaten in under 1 minute flat".

Tea tonight was: cheeseburger in a bread roll, squirt of ketchup, side portion of chips. That's all the burgers gone now from the last packet. I'll get a new box (Lamb/Mint ones, 4ldi) in a couple of weeks, but I'll give the freezer a rest for now ... and eat what I've got. Now out of fish fingers and burgers in there.... plenty more chips as I bought another bag in the week.

I'm too full to eat some more sponge pudding that I made earlier, so I'll have that tomorrow with custard.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 05-10-2017 at 8:50 PM.
    • katkin
    • By katkin 5th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 7,250 Thanks
    katkin
    PasturesNew could you please give me the recipe for your marmalade sponge pud. It sounds lovely.

A cheapy disposable BBQ is a nice treat. Costs a pound or two and can be set up in the garden or taken on a picnic somewhere like the beach for an outing. Cook up a few burgers, sausages or the like and even a foil parcel of veggies. What you can't eat can be micro'd to heat back at home. It'll have a lovely extra bit of flavour.

Mind it's not exactly BBQ beach weather just now, well not here!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Oct 17, 10:12 PM
    • 60,272 Posts
    • 352,132 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    PasturesNew could you please give me the recipe for your marmalade sponge pud. It sounds lovely.
    Originally posted by katkin
    I do it in a Pyrex, whisk/nuke in one dish.
    Small egg, weigh it (inc shell).
    Get that same weight in each of: SR flour, sugar, marg/butter.
    Bring those 3 together (like breadcrumbs).
    Add whisked egg. Beat smooth. Spoon in some marmalade as blobs. Nuke 3 minutes. Stand 1-2 minutes. Tip out. Eat.

Poor Photo, that's about the size of half a Pyrex jug in height and I skimped on nuking as I was too eager (so just 2½ mins):
    https://s1.postimg.org/1vw0yhochr/Orange_Marmalade.jpg

Cut open: https://s1.postimg.org/4s3qoyxunz/Orange_Marmalade2.jpg

I ate that bit I cut off; other bit's still in the fridge in a takeaway box.

A cheapy disposable BBQ is a nice treat. Costs a pound or two and can be set up in the garden or taken on a picnic somewhere like the beach for an outing. Cook up a few burgers, sausages or the like and even a foil parcel of veggies. What you can't eat can be micro'd to heat back at home. It'll have a lovely extra bit of flavour.

Mind it's not exactly BBQ beach weather just now, well not here!
    Ah, disposables. I've seen what they do in beach environments in the wrong hands and it'd take a lot to get me to get round to buying one, then lugging it to the beach. Ferals don't take them with them, they bury them in the sand and if somebody runs over that spot a bit later they can end up in Hospital. Even left to cool they become unsightly and dangerous beach rubbish.

It'd be "another s0dding thing to have to lug all the way down there" when already lugging a tent, windbreak, little chair, towels, drinks, nibbles, sun cream, change of clothes, etc etc.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 05-10-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    • katkin
    • By katkin 5th Oct 17, 11:37 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 7,250 Thanks
    katkin
    I do it in a Pyrex, whisk/nuke in one dish.
    Small egg, weigh it (inc shell).
    Get that same weight in each of: SR flour, sugar, marg/butter.
    Bring those 3 together (like breadcrumbs).
    Add whisked egg. Beat smooth. Spoon in some marmalade as blobs. Nuke 3 minutes. Stand 1-2 minutes. Tip out. Eat.

Poor Photo, that's about the size of half a Pyrex jug in height and I skimped on nuking as I was too eager (so just 2½ mins):
    https://s1.postimg.org/1vw0yhochr/Orange_Marmalade.jpg

Cut open: https://s1.postimg.org/4s3qoyxunz/Orange_Marmalade2.jpg

I ate that bit I cut off; other bit's still in the fridge in a takeaway box.

Ah, disposables. I've seen what they do in beach environments in the wrong hands and it'd take a lot to get me to get round to buying one, then lugging it to the beach. Ferals don't take them with them, they bury them in the sand and if somebody runs over that spot a bit later they can end up in Hospital. Even left to cool they become unsightly and dangerous beach rubbish.

It'd be "another s0dding thing to have to lug all the way down there" when already lugging a tent, windbreak, little chair, towels, drinks, nibbles, sun cream, change of clothes, etc etc.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Your pud looks yummy. Thanks for the recipe, sounds like custard, ice cream or cream would be divine with it. Not had a pud for ages, you've put me right In the mood for one. Love how easy you've put it together.

I dispose of disposable BBQs appropriately! However, I get what you mean. It makes me angry to see people leaving them or even using them on public picnic tables, burning them.

I do enjoy a picnic though and I'm lucky enough to have nice picnic equipment and a car with plenty of room for the kit. I camp so they come in handy for a quick meal. Though you can't beat cooking on a proper camp fire. There's something delicious about food cooked outdoors, all cosy and smokey
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Oct 17, 11:56 PM
    • 60,272 Posts
    • 352,132 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Love how easy you've put it together.
    I should also point out that all mixing was done with a simple fork. First bit comes together in about 20 seconds, add the egg and that's another 20 seconds .... job done.

No processors, power whisks, complex items required. Simple fork and no effort/energy.

Alternatives to "sauce"/custard could be:
    1] having finished ... spread a layer of marmalade on top, which will end up on the bottom when you tip it out.
    2] in a small mug, mix some more marmalade with a bit of boiling water and nuke for about 30-45 seconds, then pour over... just a pouring "jus" as those posh folks say
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 6th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 7,822 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Morning All

Apart from finally getting around to making a bakewell tart I had a very lazy day yesterday. It was too cold and windy to do anything outside and I finally had to submit and put the central heating on for a bit. Pinged some freezer supplies - soup for lunch and bolognaise for tea, a truly cba, cfo kinda day .

Weathers improved today and so has my mood; started the day with some greek yoghurt and prunes, found the remains of a tin of spaghetti in the freezer so will have that on toast for lunch, then more freezer supplies for tea, using up some scampi & potato wedges........omg as I type I've just realised everything is orangey/beige - will add the last of the salad, sweetcorn and beetroot for a bit of colour .
    Oct GC = £40.01/£60.00
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    • 60,272 Posts
    • 352,132 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Just ate the rest of yesterday's sponge, with lashings of custard. Too much custard really as I ended up just emptying the part packet into the jug. It was nicer/tastier than yesterday, which was surprising!

Going out for my tea, last minute thing. No idea what/where, but probably "pub bar meal".

Because of that it meant I viewed the sponge as an "eat it now" thing, rather than saving it for tea-time. On reflection .... I should've had toast now and eaten that about 3ish. Oh well... it's eaten now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,843Posts Today

6,868Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin