Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,768Posts
    • 17,866Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
Page 86
    • Farway
    • By Farway 4th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 7,717 Thanks
    Farway
    PN, sometimes best to bite the bullet and bin stuff like unappealing soup, wasteful as it is. I know mine just had to go

The cauli cheese was a good 'un, and quick with the nuker for both precook cauli & make sauce. Finished off in the oven along with the salmon fishcakes

Banana / yoghurt / honey combo for pud

I remember the skin on milky coffee, but as a weirdo I used to eat that bit, actually slurp it up as disgustingly as only a ten years old boy can manage, along with rice pud & custard skin. Hated the blobs of cream in tea when the milk was on the turn

I had to look up gomasio, seems is is similar to furikake
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 4th Oct 17, 7:19 PM
    • 60,965 Posts
    • 356,077 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... rice pud & custard skin....
    Originally posted by Farway
    I used to ask for the skins on these at school dinners. The dinner ladies would take the huge metal trays out and plonk them on the worktop, then they'd scrape the skin to one end/corner as most people didn't like it. I'd get there, they'd serve me my portion, then I'd say "can I have a bit of skin?" and they'd willingly give it up! Saved it going in the bin.

But I couldn't ask first else it'd have become "part of my portion" instead of "extras" .. and I was one of the "going back for seconds and thirds when possible" type of person at school dinners

I guess with foibles, there are some things you are totally grossed out about, whereas some similar seeming items are welcomed!
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 22-10-2017 at 3:19 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 4th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 2,768 Posts
    • 17,866 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    I'm not keen on the skin on hot milky drinks, it gives me the squirms but love it on rice pudding, custard etc. My mum used to be the opposite and when she made us hot drinks would pinch the skin with relish. What I can't stomach though is an egg whisked into hot milk as a drink, when I was wee I was felled with gastric flu and ended up in hospital with dehydration (apparently I was really unwell but I just remember the needles....), this was given as a "build up" drink which had to be taken or else I couldn't get home. It was truly vile, once I got home our GP decided that this should be continued for a week or so much to my horror, with the threat I'd be re-admitted if I didn't comply. I think it's where some of my food texture foibles come from
    On the subject of soup, I've just had give my Dad a ticking off after he's given himself a dicky tum eating soup that he made on Sunday and he has left sitting on the stovetop ever since. I keep having to remind him that yes while when I was growing up soup was never put in the fridge at this time of year but a) it got used in 24 hours (there was 5 of us) and b) we didn't have central heating and the kitchen was baltic.

I had hoped to get tomorrow's stew started this afternoon but I got sidetracked trying to sort a new bank account for the voluntary group I support. Talk about convoluted.....

I'm sticking with chicken wings tonight along with a flat mushroom , tomato and wedges. I'll cook the sausages for the stew as I like to add them cooked to the beef towards the end so the skins don't go slimy and I've roasted most of the grease out of them
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 4th Oct 17, 7:36 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 9,733 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    omg I HATED that hot milk with skin on the top, I never had coffee with hot milk since, not ever, not since the 50s. I cannot drink neat milk now because of it and that is why I cannot drink normal milk over crispy cereal
    Originally posted by kittie
    I'm the same as you and PN on this one. My mum always had 'milky coffee' and I remember trying it once, and there was this horrible thick skin, I haven't been anywhere near coffee with hot milk ever since, or hot chocolate made with milk either, although I will drink the instant stuff now and again.

Same with the breakfast cereals. That is a hang up from what PN describes about the cream on the top of the milk. Sometimes it would get left out in the sun all day and mum wouldn't realise, and we would end up with it on our cereal. By the time I was about 8 I had stopped eating breakfast cereal.
    <shudders thinking about it>
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 4th Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 14,204 Posts
    • 38,503 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

I had to look up gomasio, seems is is similar to furikake
    Originally posted by Farway
    Not quite farway - its sesame seeds and salt mixture. As in - used in macrobiotic cooking (which I've only had a very brief flirtation with) but that's a bit I adopted and occasionally use.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 4th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 14,204 Posts
    • 38,503 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Re milky coffee - there was a spell (years back - when I was still drinking instant coffee) where my usual breakfast was two slices of toast and a mug of milky coffee.

.....and then I moved onto drinking real coffee only and that breakfast went out the window and usual breakfast is now porridge made with milk/with fruit and seeds on top and then 2 slices of toast with mug of real coffee.
    #MeToo

• caronc
    • By caronc 4th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 2,768 Posts
    • 17,866 Thanks
    caronc
    Oh how I miss proper strong coffee in the morning, even decent decaff beans aren't the same, but it sends my Meniere's haywire so it's no-no.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Oct 17, 6:21 AM
    • 14,204 Posts
    • 38,503 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Not having watched that programme - I'd hazard a guess with that tv programme that just a few episodes involved the same contestants and the contestants were conned by the tv company that they could make some personal specifications and these would be abided by.

If so - I'd feel rather annoyed if I were that contestant - as I'd know I'd been "set up" for a fall by the tv company deliberately - in order to make "good tv".

Must say - I long since decided that, if anyone ever offered me the chance to be on tv I'd just refuse - as I've read too many cases of people being set up to look bad by a tv company looking to make a more tv-worthy programme. That's before I start wondering just how much the tv company is paying them to be on the programme and the answer is probably "Too little - maybe nothing at all".

I recall reading on MSE recently that Elona (a well-known poster on MSE and that has a thrifty blog - she's MeanQueen and blog is Life After Money) was on a tv programme about her thrifty ways and got paid nothing at all for doing it and they wouldnt even let her keep the food she'd been demonstrating on the tv (despite promising her that she would be able to keep it). She didnt seem too bothered about it all - but, basically, they used her.
    #MeToo

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 5th Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 7,385 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had porridge and fruit for breakfast. I keep meaning to have porridge a few times a week as I read recently that it is better than statins for high cholesterol. Not that my cholesterol is particularly high, but it can't hurt.

I'm making a tofu scramble for lunch with baked beans and grilled tomatoes. That is actually for both of us, not just for me.

Oh how I miss proper strong coffee in the morning, even decent decaff beans aren't the same, but it sends my Meniere's haywire so it's no-no.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I don't drink coffee anymore as I think it makes me get vertigo. I don't know why.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,805 Thanks
    kittie
    I`m sitting drinking a strong real coffee, best time of the day for me as I am at my most energetic in the morning and as soon as the ground looks drier then I will get that exercise done, just via a cycle ride but so lovely, gets me slightly puffed several times and I get to be amongst widlife and rushes

Porridge and those dried fruits this morning. Later ratatouille, left out to get to room temperature, as that is nicest and yummy mouth watering roll- mops. Last of the soup later and some sd spelt toast and mid afternoon, the most gorgeous satisfying treat of hm choc cake, berry compote and soya cream, eaten very slowly with a teaspoon. I love that cake and will be playing around with the sugar content, I already reduced it by half, it has 2 eggs in the recipe, milk and very healthy cacao and not that much flour

I`ve been reviving my sd starter over the last 12 hours, going back to making my own bread, by hand and via the oven for now but will be experimenting with the bm over the next few weeks. Using the stop/start button to make sure the rise is right. Spelt collapses if risen too long. The sd starter needs a bit of extra body to raise spelt, so I added rye, OO and spelt. Ran out of strong white but that is on purpose as spelt is far better for me. It will take another two days to become energetic enough to climb out of the container. Reason for doing this is the sheer cost and small size of organic sd spelt loaf, bought this week. £3.29 for 400g and contains enhancers as well as organic spelt and sd. My equivalent weight spelt loaf will cost 88p plus a small bit for the sd and the oven heat which will be multi used anyway, so should cost about £1 max and it will be completely organic too. Being spelt, it flops when rising, so I cannot use my peel but will use a tin in a hot cloche. I am excited, reckon I will get a stunning looking loaf
    Last edited by kittie; 05-10-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Oct 17, 1:00 PM
    • 2,768 Posts
    • 17,866 Thanks
    caronc

I don't drink coffee anymore as I think it makes me get vertigo. I don't know why.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    It's the caffeine, it affects the pressure in your ears and also certain receptors in your brain which can trigger vertigo, it was the first thing I had to drop when I developed meniere's disease.

I'm trying to organised for my offspring arriving so lunch is a roll and the last of the lentil soup. I need to get my finger out and start tonight's stew, it'll be going in the pressure cooker as it's too late to slow cook it!
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 5th Oct 17, 2:00 PM
    • 3,273 Posts
    • 6,882 Thanks
    jackyann
    Building block ideas again:
    In the summer, I get a pork fillet, cover it in a paste made from garlic, paprika, salt, herbs & a bit of oil, marinade for a day, then cut into medallions and freeze. They defrost quickly,so are perfect for BBQs.
    This evening, I've taken the last out of the freezer and will just grill them. I'll do plenty of roast veges and save half of those back. Tomorrow will be cous-cous, re-heated roast veges and cubes of feta stirred into it.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 5th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 7,385 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I didn't have tofu scramble as I went out to get bread and so just had a can of soup and the fresh bread instead for lunch.

It's the caffeine, it affects the pressure in your ears and also certain receptors in your brain which can trigger vertigo, it was the first thing I had to drop when I developed meniere's disease.
    I don't get it with coke or strong tea, though. It's strange. I think there is something else in coffee that I am sensitive too. I can't even have decaf coffee without feeling ill afterwards.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Farway
    • By Farway 5th Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 7,717 Thanks
    Farway
    I'm another with coffee problems. "real" stuff gives me stomach ache & makes me dizzy. I'm OK with instant but have to limit that to just a couple a day or tum troubles.

PN They are very tasty ... mmmm (L1dl, Chef Select, 6 for £1.05).
    Thanks for tip, I'm in there tomorrow and could just get some, as I try and avoid the Stollen aisle a sausage roll hunt could be a useful distraction

Dentist first thing, I now need a filling refurbished.

Into Morries on way home, another pork pie slipped into the trolley, as did a 50p pack of doughnuts

I was really looking for easy meals for one, got liver & bacon, love that and really CBA mucking around buying ingredients & prepping it

Also picked up a YS Hunters' chicken & wedges ready meal.

Both are in the Traditional range. Now I know I'm old but since when was Hunters' chicken traditional? Did the lasses from t'mill, or tin miners, get home to a steaming plate of Hunters' chicken. I'm willing to bet even hunters didn't.

Lunch was cheese salad sarnie, and two jam doughnuts

Dinner is either a frozen ready mince hotpot or Hunter chick. Not sure yet. Both are bung in oven & the accompaniment will be steamed fresh veg, just depends how I feel in an hour or so
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 9,733 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone

I've just been 'grazing' on food today. I had a banana and some toast for breakfast, then a crumpet mid morning followed by cheese on toast at lunchtime.

Dinner will be whatever I can drag out of my poorly freezer later before it defrosts all over the kitchen floor .

I was just going out this morning and went into the kitchen without shoes on and realised that my feet were getting wet. It turns out that there is water coming from the back of the fridge/freezer. An engineer has been out and declared it not worth repairing. It is a 16 years old Bosch, so doesn't owe me anything.

So I've been researching fridge/freezers all day and have narrowed it down to another Bosch, a Liebherr (I hadn't heard of them until today, but they seem to get pretty good reviews and are either made by the same manufacturers as Miele or at the same factory, there seems to be some confustion over this on the internet), or a Hotpoint as it is a very good size for the money. There was a Miele I would have bought as it was greatly reduced, but surpirse surprise it is out of stock.

If any of you have any experience of these makes or suggestions of other makes I would be grateful for your input.

I want a 50/50 split and as large a freezer as possible (no surprises there ).

The Liebherr has a small net fridge space of 165 litres and a freezer net space of 129 litres so very large. It isn't that often that the fridge on my current one is full. Cheapest I can find this one is £429.99

The Hotpoint has a net fridge space of 204 litres and 124litres of freezer space. The cheapest I can find this is £549.

The Bosch one has a net fridge space of 214 litres and 105 litres of freezer space. The cheapest I can find this is £649. I think I'm only considering this one because of the reputation that Bosch has, or I 'think' it has. I could be wrong .
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,805 Thanks
    kittie
    Liebherr, absolutely wonderful fridge. Mine grew too small for me so dd had it and it is going strong. It is a make that I would buy again

I read something about flammable plastic backs on many new fridges, not all and it would be worth researching that
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 9,733 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Liebherr, absolutely wonderful fridge. Mine grew too small for me so dd had it and it is going strong. It is a make that I would buy again

I read something about flammable plastic backs on many new fridges, not all and it would be worth researching that
    Originally posted by kittie
    Thanks Kitty. Liebherr seem to get good reviews, and it certainly looks good value.

Now you mention it, I remember reading something about the plastic backs as well, and how some manufacturers are using plastic instead of the more expensive aluminium. I'll check that out now.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 5th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 4,791 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    is it something that was brought to light after the grenfell tower fire, i think it was started by a fridge with a flammable back panel??
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 9,733 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    is it something that was brought to light after the grenfell tower fire, i think it was started by a fridge with a flammable back panel??
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    Yes, you are right it was a Hotpoint that started the fire. The Which? web site lists makes/models which are fire retardant and those which are not. It's put me off Hotpoint, so that ones not in the running now.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 5th Oct 17, 5:54 PM
    • 3,273 Posts
    • 6,882 Thanks
    jackyann
    Are you able to have a good look at the Liebherr before you buy? I'm glad that Kitty had a good experience. I found mine (I bought it 2005) rather awkward, and I passed it on. I couldn't seem to make good use of the space. I broke a couple of things on it, and the replacements were expensive.
    However, a lot may have changed in 12 years!
    My 5 year old LG has had no problems and I haven't broken anything in it either!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,419Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter