Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,406Posts
    • 15,907Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £125/£200
Page 85
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 15,907 Thanks
    caronc
    Holly/Farway - stop talking about Stollen I love the stuff and can't get to Lidl/Aldi to get any and I want some (in the next 10 mintes would be fab)
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £125/£200
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 13,672 Posts
    • 37,160 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Need2bethrifty - has distinct feeling I won't manage to stay awake long enough to watch that last episode of Dr Foster either.....

But.....a combination of Iplayer bringing up tv programmes for me on my computer and the fact that I recently swopped my pc monitor from standard and small size to large and whatever-technical-interior-bits and bobs Mr Computer Man explained to me as being necessary to be able to see darker tv shots normally on a pc screen and that's that sorted. I'll watch it tomorrow if need be. I was previously watching programmes I'd missed on Iplayer etc - and just standing up to see screen from a different angle for bits that were too "dark and moody" to be able to see clearly sitting at a p.c. screen.

There's a theme right now in the series I'm currently watching - Dr Foster, Liar and Victoria - all 3 feature strong determined women LOL.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 03-10-2017 at 7:01 PM.
    #MeToo
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 15,907 Thanks
    caronc
    Maybe hock was a Northern thing? We never had it, not that mum would ever do that type of cooking, but my Nan would and we never had that there at all.
    Originally posted by Farway
    Yes I think it might be - pease pudding and all those regional dishes spring to mind. Certainly popular in many guises here in Scotland
    • Farway
    • By Farway 3rd Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 7,065 Thanks
    Farway
    Forgot to mention, the HM soup was flushed away this afternoon.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 3rd Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Holly/Farway - stop talking about Stollen I love the stuff and can't get to Lidl/Aldi to get any and I want some (in the next 10 mintes would be fab)
    Originally posted by caronc
    It is my one Christmas food love. This is the one thing that makes me forgive shops having all their Christmast goodies out at the end of September. I'll have a fair amount of it between now and Christmas.

I always find it hard to get hold of by the second week of December around here. Everywhere seems to have sold out by then .
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 15,907 Thanks
    caronc
    It is my one Christmas food love. This is the one thing that makes me forgive shops having all their Christmast goodies out at the end of September. I'll have a fair amount of it between now and Christmas.

I always find it hard to get hold of by the second week of December around here. Everywhere seems to have sold out by then .
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    It's pretty high up my list as well
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 15,907 Thanks
    caronc
    Oh no Tesco have their Stollen in.......and on SO as well so I might need to get two!
    OK a Stollen & a Christmas pud have jumped into my virtual basket
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 3rd Oct 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 4,511 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    booths also have stollen in
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 4th Oct 17, 6:05 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 7,850 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Need2bethrifty - has distinct feeling I won't manage to stay awake long enough to watch that last episode of Dr Foster either.....

But.....a combination of Iplayer bringing up tv programmes for me on my computer and the fact that I recently swopped my pc monitor from standard and small size to large and whatever-technical-interior-bits and bobs Mr Computer Man explained to me as being necessary to be able to see darker tv shots normally on a pc screen and that's that sorted. I'll watch it tomorrow if need be. I was previously watching programmes I'd missed on Iplayer etc - and just standing up to see screen from a different angle for bits that were too "dark and moody" to be able to see clearly sitting at a p.c. screen.

There's a theme right now in the series I'm currently watching - Dr Foster, Liar and Victoria - all 3 feature strong determined women LOL.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I had to watch last weeks episode on iplayer, but managed to see most of last nights (did nod off a one point) but how sad, didn't see that ending coming.
    Oct GC = £49.92/£60.00
    • kittie
    • By kittie 4th Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 62,179 Thanks
    kittie
    That celery/broccoli and cashewnut soup is gorgeous, all it had in was that 2/3 head of celery and a small head of broccoli cashews and 2 garlic cloves and veg stock. It really was lovely, thick and creamy. My liquidiser made short work of creaming it. The three portions are just the right size for me, not too large and was totally satisfying with some crispy sourdough toast. Its ok to leave in the fridge for today and tomorrow, no milk in it and no meat stock. Its a brilliant start tbh, from that book. Next one will be cauliflower and chives. I am off to sainsburys later and will get a few bits that I normally don`t have in the fridge, just the add ons for more soup because I was well impressed. The best bit was the satisfying tummy feeling that I had the whole evening

Obviously soup at last meal, bean ratatouille with some halloumi for lunch, followed by all my treats in one very gorgeous pud, chocolate cake, berry compote and soya cream. Had that yeaterday and no cravings at all the rest of the day

Porridge and dried fruit for breakfast, the sweet syrup had drained down, so I just picked some fruits out to warm in the porridge, was nice

I managed to stay awake last night by getting some new compicated fair isle knitting out, just a hat but just casting on and getting it onto dpns was enough and the interesting health hour was on LBC from 9-10. Phew, I managed it, to stay awake, I had a nap in the afternoon and didn`t want to ruin my sleep even more

oh no, not stollen, oh no. I am definitely not stocking up on `just in case` goodies this year, I am the one who ate them all last christmas. I think I will be on a wing and a prayer this year, one dd has already asked me over, I am very happy, I will only go for the day as I prefer my own bed but at least it will stop the neighbours asking if I am going anywhere. I hate that, I know it is kind but it is just another day for me
    • kittie
    • By kittie 4th Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 62,179 Thanks
    kittie
    I`ve been good and planned my soup meal for every day and next tuesday I will be making real scotch broth with swede, mutton and barley and am so looking forward to that . There are some lovely meal- in-a bowl soups in the book. I can`t believe that I have had that book for two years and never opened it. Got to go now and look see if I can find the pearl barley before I buy some more. Next one is caulie and chive, on sunday I am making celeriac and bacon. Most will be for two days, half quantity and some for three days. I will still be ploughing through the freezer but no more of that frenzied scrabbling as I will be cool calm and collected
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 4th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 5,984 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had a peanut butter sandwich with blueberries and green tea for breakfast.

I was going to go out to get a flu jab today and was going to get chips from the chip shop as we have some nice white rolls at home and fancied a chip butty.

I can't be bothered to go out now so I might just have oven chips with baked beans and the rolls later.

That celery/broccoli and cashewnut soup is gorgeous, all it had in was that 2/3 head of celery and a small head of broccoli cashews and 2 garlic cloves and veg stock. It really was lovely, thick and creamy. My liquidiser made short work of creaming it. The three portions are just the right size for me, not too large and was totally satisfying with some crispy sourdough toast.
    Originally posted by kittie
    Mmm, sounds yummy!
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • caronc
    • By caronc 4th Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 15,907 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Kittie - proper scotch broth with mutton how fab, I'm jealous
    I've finished sorting out a massive on-line shop (I've been good and taken the stollen out, I'll get it next week) as I'm getting invaded this weekend. My elder son & his partner are arriving tomorrow evening until Monday, my younger son is up on Saturday for an overnight and I'm catering for 12 on Saturday night for my friend's birthday so I need plenty of supplies.
    I've got beef skirt & links defrosting to make a stew for tomorrow night, unfortunately I need to go out for a few hours in the evening so want something that can be flexible re timings and just need heated up. Saturday it's "Tex-Mex" and we'll wing the rest.

Today it's soup and a roll for lunch and tonight I think it'll be chicken wings.

Holly, I fair enjoyed my cod and parsley sauce last night thanks for reminding about it. It was perfect with mash and veg for a stormy night.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 4th Oct 17, 2:28 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone

I'm glad you enjoyed your cod last night caron.

Having had root around the fridge this morning looking for eggs, I realised that I had used them all. I seem to either have too many or none. You would think that as I like scrambled egg on toast for breakfast I would keep a better check on how many I have!

So I ended up making some porridge and having that with a few frozen berries stirred through. They defrosted quick enough though, so all was ok.

I met my sister in law in town this morning and she treated us to a sandwich and coffee at lunchtime so no lunch to get today.

I'm making Italian liver for dinner tonight, and will serve that with some rice. Not too much of an effort on the cooking front this evening .
    • Farway
    • By Farway 4th Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 7,065 Thanks
    Farway
    Out and about I spotted a nice fresh cauliflower in the greengrocer's, not too big or too small, just right for 2 CFO size meals. It was an impulse buy as I was looking for dinner inspiration and that was it

Dinner is now cauliflower cheese, using the PN nuked cheese sauce method.
    And spotted this one, it sounds nice and cauli soup is a very likely on the menu this week, not sure what type yet

Next one is caulie and chive,
    Originally posted by kittie
    I bought a 2 pack of YS salmon fish cakes in Asda, they will go well with the cauli cheese, plenty of goodies in there

Lunch was back to cheese salad sarnie
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 4th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 7,850 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Afternoon all,

Some lovely sounding soups on the go, though I'm not a fan of mutton, we always tended to have a bit of thick rib which was cooked in the soup, sometimes shredded in but very often served after with some boiled potatoes and cabbage. I love cashew nuts and sometimes have them in a curry but never thought of putting them in a soup, definitely something I'll try in future, I love thick creamy soup.

Started off with cornflakes and stewed apples this morning, then lunch was feta and beetroot salad with a slice of toast and I'm cheating a bit tonight with the last of my turkey meatballs in half a jar of curry sauce (just cause I can) having it with cauliflower rice and a side salad of red pepper, spring onions and tomato.
    Oct GC = £49.92/£60.00
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 4th Oct 17, 4:52 PM
    • 60,284 Posts
    • 352,297 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ...using the PN nuked cheese sauce method....
    Originally posted by Farway
    Glad you found that handy.... people will say "thanks" the first time - it's only if/when they do it again and mention it that you realise they did actually find it good/useful

Nuking's not for everybody ... but, for me, it's second nature. Especially when it simplifies things, whether that's time, minimum quantity that can be made, or washing up effort. It's hard, say, to use an entire saucepan, to just make 2-3 tablespoons of cheese sauce....

I also use that method when making a Welsh rarebit. Make it all in the nuker, transfer to toast, grill it brown (well, half brown, I don't have the patience to wait!)
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 4th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 13,672 Posts
    • 37,160 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    My "simplifies things" gadget is my Vitamix blender.

Read a tip re it today about how to get juice from fruit or vegetables using it. To effect of just chop the fruit and stick in Vitamix with a "bit of water". Cue for me wondering what definition of "a bit" would be.

Anyways....2 fair-size apples picked from one of my apple trees and duly shoved in there with a "bit of water". One very quick blitz and then I thought "I'm not looking out the nutmilk bag they suggest to strain it through". So I used a fine mesh nylon sieve.

Result = got a reasonable size glass of apple juice and it was nice. I've kept the fine pulp-y bit that was left in my sieve and shall put that on my breakfast porridge tomorrow.

I pronounce that experiment a success.
    #MeToo
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 4th Oct 17, 6:01 PM
    • 13,672 Posts
    • 37,160 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Just had dinner.

It was a "make a bit more effort" meal. So baked portobello mushrooms, sitting on a bed of sorrel (from garden), with onions, garlic scapes (from garden) and teeny bit of stock and yeast extract in water. Topped with few breadcrumbs and grating of parmesan cheese.

Eaten with salad of various lettuce, chicory, nasturtium leaves and tomatoes (all from garden) and tiny bit of beetroot leaves. Topped with dressing of yogurt, sumac, nigella seeds and gomasio.

Also baked sweet potato chips (with bit of garlic salt) and served with hawthorn ketchup.

Verdict = nom nom nom
    #MeToo
    • kittie
    • By kittie 4th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 62,179 Thanks
    kittie
    I've always been funny about "hot milk" since I once had a nasty over-milky coffee made with hot milk, that had a nasty skin on it ... in the 1960s - and that still grosses me out."
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    omg I HATED that hot milk with skin on the top, I never had coffee with hot milk since, not ever, not since the 50s. I cannot drink neat milk now because of it and that is why I cannot drink normal milk over crispy cereal

My mother made something called stamppot, it was dutch. Carrots potatoes onions cooked in the same pan and mashed. I hated that with a vengance, it took me a long time to get to like carrots. It was probably too sweet for me, urgh

Money I admire your dedication. That would have taken me a lot longer to prepare than to eat and tbh I just don`t like cold leaves in this season. I have a vitamix too, hence the very smooth creamy soup, cooked in a pan first though. The juice idea is good, I would do that if I didn`t have a dedicated juicer

I have decided that I am having french toast tomorrow, I really fancy that with some brown sauce. To make up the veg, I`ll just do the veg on their own in a bowl, lol, I`ll call it a starter
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,692Posts Today

8,906Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin