Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,800Posts
    • 18,061Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
Page 84
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 3rd Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 293 Posts
    • 1,027 Thanks
    poppystar
    Good idea in principle. In practice - I think that box might possibly do 2 people for 5 days - but it certainly wouldnt do a family of 4. Very over-optimistic of Morrisons to say that it would do.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Looking at the contents I agree. Also I'm not sure it is any cheaper than buying the contents loose/individually. I bought similar (minus the swede as I'm too feeble these days to get into one!) for less than £4 from Mr T.

Unless you plan your meals around them there may well also be wastage of the 'don't really know what to do with that' or 'noone likes cabbage here' variety. Or even for CFOs the 'too much that needs eating soon'
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 3rd Oct 17, 12:30 PM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 9,958 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone

I get where you are all coming from re the floor space of shops.
    It would be really useful for them to have that information on their web site.

I've been out looking at food processors, mine went bang last night, so I need a new one. It needs to be compact to fit in my kitchen. I've decided on a Kenwood, and they had one left in the sale in Debenhams. I'm too tired to go back out so I hope that one is still there in the morning.

I've had Greek yoghurt and berries for breakfast this morning, and a banana as I was going to be out for a while.

Just come back and had a cheese salad sandwich. All that walking around has made me hungry.

Dinner is going to incorporate a suggestion by farway yesterday that I cook extra veg and have bubble and squeak. That made me really crave bubble and squeak. I'm gong to have it with a gammon steak, mushrooms and a grilled tomato. I'm really looking forward to this, I haven't had gammon for a while .
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 3rd Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Wow, that is cheap!
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000

I buy the wonky veg, I find it keeps really well and most of it isn't wonky at all.
    I must admit I was looking forward to some rude carrots
    they also do wonky apples which I find delicious
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160 oct 151.56/160 nov 141.30/150
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    • 61,026 Posts
    • 356,415 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... minus the swede as I'm too feeble these days to get into one
    Originally posted by poppystar
    No need to. Lob the whole thing into the microwave for 20 minutes.... then cut it in half and scoop it out soft. Literally remove it from your shopping bag, open the nuker door, put it in, close the door, twist the dial, press start.... walk away.... although it's good to put it on something as it produces a bit of goo.

That's a long cooking time, so if you can manage to cut it in half first and put it "flesh side down" in a dish (to catch any dripping goo), then the cooking time is less and you're only cooking a small portion.

I'm sure a slow cooker could be used too, in all honesty - lob the whole thing in, with water .... and wait 3-4 hours until a knife goes through the middle bit.... cutting it into chunks if you can manage it at all. You can always find somebody to cut one into half for you when you've bought it (knock on a neighbour's door with a knife), then wrap the two exposed ends in foil and it'll sit on the worktop for 1-2 weeks at least.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 03-10-2017 at 1:31 PM.
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 3rd Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 1,027 Thanks
    poppystar
    No need to. Lob the whole thing into the microwave for 20 minutes.... then cut it in half and scoop it out soft. Literally remove it from your shopping bag, open the nuker door, put it in, close the door, twist the dial, press start.... walk away.... although it's good to put it on something as it produces a bit of goo.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Are you sure it won't explode? - they already look a bit like cartoon bombs

I've never nuked anything for that long either. Bit terrified quite frankly. Do you think it would work putting it in the oven whole too? Pretending it was a huge baked potato?

Even cutting in half is beyond me these days My attempts totally amused the friends I was with last xmas as I offered to do the veg and was presented with a swede as well as the usual culprits. I had to be rescued and put on table laying duty
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 3rd Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    purpleybat

That's a long cooking time, so if you can manage to cut it in half first and put it "flesh side down" in a dish (to catch any dripping goo), then the cooking time is less and you're only cooking a small portion.

You can always find somebody to cut one into half for you when you've bought it (knock on a neighbour's door with a knife), then wrap the two exposed ends in foil and it'll sit on the worktop for 1-2 weeks at least.

I like this idea of zapping a swede, I might have to give it a try. thankyou for saying about the goo.

if I knocked on my neighbours door with a big knife I think they may call the police!
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160 oct 151.56/160 nov 141.30/150
    • Farway
    • By Farway 3rd Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    • 5,750 Posts
    • 7,824 Thanks
    Farway

I've never nuked anything for that long either. Bit terrified quite frankly. Do you think it would work putting it in the oven whole too? Pretending it was a huge baked potato?
    I've never tried oven swede, not a big fan of the veg anyway, but I bet it would, try same as baked beetroot method. Wash, wrap in tin foil, bung in oven

Reading not keen notes on HM soup has made up my mind on the cauldron pot of bung it all in soup I made this week and now find most unappealing. It will be binned and lesson learnt. Not sure what has changed, I used to love them, maybe taste buds change as get older?

Ref the floor area of shops. How about using Google maps in Streetview? Just grab the little yellow bloke & plonk him outside the shop. Quick peer around and that should give a fair idea of area in comparison to the nearby shops, frontage at least, assuming it is not a long narrow shop over 6 storeys

The Jamaican bread pud, I have put a stone on just reading the recipe. It does sound lush

Morries must have changed their tune on wonky veg, last time I looked it was only pennies less than the "good" stuff. New offer seems good value. I'll recheck next time I'm in

Lunch was last of the pork pie, with mustard, fresh tomato and olives

Dinner is a bit ??? At the moment it is clear out and use the last of the cheapo frozen bangers, with frozen chips, fried eggs & mushrooms from Lild offer this morning. But this is all subject to feeling like it come the prep time
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 61,026 Posts
    • 356,415 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Even cutting in half is beyond me these days My attempts totally amused the friends I was with last xmas as I offered to do the veg and was presented with a swede as well as the usual culprits. I had to be rescued and put on table laying duty
    I understand totally where you're coming from. No it won't explode. I did mine for Xmas dinner last year like that, did it the day before and then stored it for quick nuking on the day. As they tend to be sold "per item" the greedy me always heads for the biggest one ... and I got a monster!

But, if you're worried, stab it "to be sure" ... but it won't. As for scared/too long, I get that too.... in which case, just do it for 4-5 minutes and let it sit for a minute, repeat 4-5x. I do that as I think using it for too many minutes will make the whole thing go into meltdown, it's one of my fears.

I bet the oven would work too. Again, shove a fork in it to be sure, wrap in foil to catch any goo.

They are tough bugg4hs to cut safely
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 03-10-2017 at 2:47 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Oct 17, 2:57 PM
    • 14,270 Posts
    • 38,682 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Ref the floor area of shops. How about using Google maps in Streetview? Just grab the little yellow bloke & plonk him outside the shop. Quick peer around and that should give a fair idea of area in comparison to the nearby shops, frontage at least, assuming it is not a long narrow shop over 6 storeys
    Originally posted by Farway
    Personally I use Streetview a lot to get a look at places and had done a virtual travel to the "tiny" chain store opened some distance from myself and friend and it wasnt really possible to tell the size looking at the front. I could see that it's a several-storey building (ie that looked promising) - but it's got a small footprint according to my disappointed friend that visited it after local friend told us it was "huge".

Because people that have spent all their lives living here will possibly have a different definition about how to describe sizes compared to former city dwellers (like my friend and myself) then it's very difficult to work out. I've come to the conclusion the best I can do when asking local people the size of a place is to compare it to the largest places I can think of in a nearby bigger place that they might know and say "I'm used to a shop that's twice the size of so-and-so in nearer bigger town - so how does it compare to that?".

I must admit the first time I looked up the new chain shop I'm thinking of I looked around their website for some time and then looked at the national website thinking I must have missed the bit at which they put the square footage of shop concerned and searching and searching for it. Until I came to the conclusion that no-one at the firm concerned seemed to have thought of it - and wondered how much I'd be paid to do their job instead of them...
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 14,270 Posts
    • 38,682 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Back to thinking of food - and lunch today was home-made croissant (not by me) and coffee. Havent had time to think of more than that - as it's "one of those days" where my mother is "driving me nuts" in various phonecalls and am sorely tempted to take the phone off the hook for the rest of the day.

She might take to ringing my brother and "driving him nuts" instead. It's beginning to sound like a very good idea to take my phone off the hook for the rest of the day then.....

Dinner tonight will be the singles re-run Groundhog Day thing of the other portion of pasta and sauce from yesterday.

• Farway
    • By Farway 3rd Oct 17, 3:07 PM
    • 5,750 Posts
    • 7,824 Thanks
    Farway
    I must admit the first time I looked up the new chain shop I'm thinking of I looked around their website for some time and then looked at the national website thinking I must have missed the bit at which they put the square footage of shop concerned and searching and searching for it. Until I came to the conclusion that no-one at the firm concerned seemed to have thought of it - and wondered how much I'd be paid to do their job instead of them...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I suspect it may have been thought of but could stop some potential customers from going.

Too small, avoid, too large, avoid [that would be me]

Like pubs, families welcome, avoid or rush there depending on individual requirements
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    • 14,270 Posts
    • 38,682 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I suspect it may have been thought of but could stop some potential customers from going.

Too small, avoid, too large, avoid [that would be me]

Like pubs, families welcome, avoid or rush there depending on individual requirements
    Originally posted by Farway
    I very much doubt these firms have had the sense to think of this personally.

I would estimate it would about balance out according to personal requirements.

Within my own family - my mother would think "Too big - agh! my head hurts - too complicated - don't want much choice" on the one head.

Whereas I would be thinking "Really big - oh goody! Lots of choice - there's a better chance I will find what I want personally then. Less hassle in the long run than having to look and look and look in umpteen places - because I've not got enough choice". I'm certainly prone to thinking along the lines of "There's only 10 choices! Agh! I'm used to 20 choices - and I would like 50 choices".

Just thinking I could pretty much manage with 3 shops - provided they were all huge size - John Lewis, Waitrose and a genuine wholefood shop and that would be me pretty much sorted and rarely having to go into any other shop.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 03-10-2017 at 3:15 PM.

• Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 3rd Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 9,958 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I've got an urge to go out for sweeties.....

I might be exposed to sausage rolls while out though! Soup might fade into the background .... and sausage rolls might become the winner.
    Go on, you know you want your favourite choccies , and if some sausage rolls should fall into your basket, it's not your fault .

A bit like the stollen that fell into my basket this morning .
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Oct 17, 5:36 PM
    • 61,026 Posts
    • 356,415 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Go on, you know you want your favourite choccies , and if some sausage rolls should fall into your basket, it's not your fault .

Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Favourite choccies are troublesome to find now, £land stopped selling them.

I've got some "fake marathon bars" from L1dl .... and a pack of digestives.... 6-pack of sausage rolls (two currently being re-heated) ... 10 large eggs ... loaf of white/sliced bread.

And I stocked up with a bag of oven chips and a bag of hash browns.

Spent £4.75.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 18,061 Thanks
    caronc

Nope they don't explode but do "sing" rather alarmingly.... It does work really well though

Lunch was as planned lentil & bacon soup with part-baked rolls from the freezer. Simple but tasty, there was just my sister and I so I've plenty of soup left.
    Definitely going with cod in sauce for dinner, with mash I think as it's pretty wintery feeling tonight
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 3rd Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 8,437 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    I didn't fancy the l/o peppers today so opted for some split pea soup as that's the one I have most of in the freezer. I had some cheesy toast for breakfast so decided on a mustard sauce to go with my cauliflower and fish fingers tonight.

Got some garden tidy-up jobs done but feeling really tired now just hope I can stay awake long enough to see the last episode of Dr F0ster.

if I knocked on my neighbours door with a big knife I think they may call the police!
    Originally posted by purpleybat
    Mine too

Lunch was as planned lentil & bacon soup with part-baked rolls from the freezer. Simple but tasty, there was just my sister and I so I've plenty of soup left.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Yummy - that has to be the next one for my soup list, maybe with a ham shank rather than bacon.
    Oct GC = £49.92/£60.00
    Nov GC = £55.48/£60.00
    Dec GC = £47.15/£70.00
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 18,061 Thanks
    caronc
    I didn't fancy the l/o peppers today so opted for some split pea soup as that's the one I have most of in the freezer. I had some cheesy toast for breakfast so decided on a mustard sauce to go with my cauliflower and fish fingers tonight.

Got some garden tidy-up jobs done but feeling really tired now just hope I can stay awake long enough to see the last episode of Dr F0ster.

Mine too

Yummy - that has to be the next one for my soup list, maybe with a ham shank rather than bacon.
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    It's lovely with a ham shank but not half bad with bacon. I use half a pack of cooking bacon and it makes a good tasty stock. I have shank in the freezer so I think I'll make green split pea & ham with that . I made it in the pressure cooker so end to end including making the stock (I always prefer to do it separately) it took just under an hour.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 3rd Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 5,750 Posts
    • 7,824 Thanks
    Farway
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    I was sooo tempted as I went round Lidl this morning, but a packet of chocolate digestives did happen to fall into the trolley

PN, solution must be sausage roll soup? Or soup and dunk sausage rolls in it, or call them croutons as they float on top of the soup

Dinner over, the last of the cheapo bangers now gone forever out of my life,
    I made my own chunky chips from a spud that was getting somewhat tired and sorry in the fridge, that plus nuked mushrooms & couple of eggs

Sliced banana / yoghurt / honey for pud

Very full now, may just squeeze some Bread Pud in later, or violate the virginity of the chocolate digestive packet. Or both
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Oct 17, 6:56 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 18,061 Thanks
    caronc
    I am not one for bacon, pork, gammon, ham, hocks etc .... it does seem very popular in British cooking these days, I wasn't aware of it years ago, but maybe my parents and school simply didn't use it. I don't like the fat and saltiness often found.

I don't buy/cook lentils either .... although mum did used to have the very occasional hock with orange lentils in the pressure cooker - but I'm really not sure what she did with that when cooked as it wasn't served to us as a meal. Maybe it's something she/dad ate after we were in bed. It's possible my memory of it is from just 1-2 instances ever of them cooking it.
    I prefer to cook the stock first so I can remove excess fat, I hate greasy soup and you can control the salt better. Lentils (all types) are probably my favourite pulse. Certainly ham, gammon, bacon etc. were popular in my area when I was growing up don't think that has ever really changed.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 3rd Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 5,750 Posts
    • 7,824 Thanks
    Farway
    I am not one for bacon, pork, gammon, ham, hocks etc .... it does seem very popular in British cooking these days, I wasn't aware of it years ago, but maybe my parents and school simply didn't use it. I don't like the fat and saltiness often found.

I don't buy/cook lentils either .... although mum did used to have the very occasional hock with orange lentils in the pressure cooker - but I'm really not sure what she did with that when cooked as it wasn't served to us as a meal. Maybe it's something she/dad ate after we were in bed. It's possible my memory of it is from just 1-2 instances ever of them cooking it.
    Maybe hock was a Northern thing? We never had it, not that mum would ever do that type of cooking, but my Nan would and we never had that there at all.

Had winkles picked out with her hatpin though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,902Posts Today

8,612Users online

Martin's Twitter