Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,365Posts
    • 15,706Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £107/£200
Page 82
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 1st Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 8,096 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I made a dumpling in a mug, then scooped it out on a spoon and tossed some jam into the mug then put the dumpling back on top ... and nuked it. Ate from the mug with a teaspoon.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Lovely food for this type of weather. It sounds pretty much the same as the steamed jam suet puddings that my mum used to make when we were kids . Something else to add to my nostalgic food cravings. No doubt I'll be making this in a couple of weeks.
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 1st Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 7,803 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Happy to report that my quinoa accident has been dealt with, I made some cookies, a sort of cross between a brownie and a cookie, not that sweet but they'll be eaten. I also made some patties, ended up with 2 large which I will have for tea along with the l/o remoulade and a side salad and there's 4 small which I will probably freeze. I have to say they are quite delicious and in the future I may well cook too much quinoa again .

just a question.... are they old? I had some that were a couple of years old and they took forever to get soft, I was told it was cos they were considered the oap version of pulses. I didn't think it mattered.
    Originally posted by purpleybat
    Not old got them in L!dl couple of months ago, think I'll get a different brand next time.

That's the one
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 1st Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 60,242 Posts
    • 351,962 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Lovely food for this type of weather. It sounds pretty much the same as the steamed jam suet puddings that my mum used to make when we were kids . Something else to add to my nostalgic food cravings. No doubt I'll be making this in a couple of weeks.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    The mix is 2 parts flour to 1 part suet, so I've always just kept a special airtight box in the cupboard and tipped in a whole 500g bag of flour and a box of Atora.... then the s0ds changed the box size a few years ago, it's now just 200 grams... so now I weigh out 400 grams of flour and tip the suet in. Then it's ready mixed.... I just give the container a shake, then run the spoon round and scoop out how much I want to make... easy peasy. I can get through about 600 grams/year like that, 1-2 heaped tablespoons at a time. Sometimes with a stew, sometimes sweet.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 1st Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 60,242 Posts
    • 351,962 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    All this talk of quinoa, I thought I'd flag something up for those who aren't that interested ... or who "didn't know that" yet.

It's mostly grown in south america. In the UK a farm in East Anglia was looking to diversify and realised that they could grow it here. Interestingly (you have to snigger), quinoa is grown here and most typically found in wild bird seed mixes So the growers investigated it and started growing it on their farm, organically of course.... and it's full food grade stuff. So people will soon start harping on about "locally sourced" and "eco friendly" home produced quinoa ....

For me .... it's fad stuff... eaten by food bloggers on the Internet so they get more readers/viewers to their blogs. Once they've got enough income I wonder if they actually cook it ....then open the window and toss it out for the birds ...and get a pie from the freezer to eat for real.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 1st Oct 17, 6:00 PM
    • 60,242 Posts
    • 351,962 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Sticklers for etiquette, look away now ....

I toasted two halves of a muffin and spread jam on them... trotted through to the sofa, sat down - and pulled my leg blanket over my legs, upsetting the jammy muffins with jam landing on the cushion ...and on my bare leg. I scooped up what I could from my leg and flicked it back onto the muffin ... then trotted off to get a wet wipe to deal with the cushion/blanket mess, sticky leg and sticky hands.

Then I ate the muffin halves
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 1st Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 8,096 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

I toasted two halves of a muffin and spread jam on them... trotted through to the sofa, sat down - and pulled my leg blanket over my legs, upsetting the jammy muffins with jam landing on the cushion ...and on my bare leg. I scooped up what I could from my leg and flicked it back onto the muffin ... then trotted off to get a wet wipe to deal with the cushion/blanket mess, sticky leg and sticky hands.

lol . At least you didn't waste anything .
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 1st Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    poppystar
    lol . At least you didn't waste anything .
    She might have done …. there's no talk of licking the leg and fingers
    • caronc
    • By caronc 1st Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 15,706 Thanks
    caronc
    PN, I think there is confusion between bread pud & bread & butter pud.

Mine is bread pud, yours is B & b pud

HH, I use one of my own, but it is based on everyone's ideas. There are no hard & fast rules and it is always edible

Make a pot of strong tea, if you fancy it use Earl Grey for instance
    Any type bread, [maybe not cheese & onion though] any quantity, torn, cut or blitzed into a large bowl
    As much dried mixed fruit as seems sensible, like a handful

Put MF in jug, pour enough tea over to just cover. Leave to soak while you get on with the rest

Pour rest of tea over the bread, not enough to drown it, but enough to soak it. Any excess tea, make a cuppa

There are variations here, use orange juice for some of the soaking liquid, can't say I've noticed difference but who knows

Another variation , add a good table spoonful of black treacle to the bread

Mix the bread up into a squidgy slurry, either hands in, or use a masher

Add one beaten egg, the MF mix, and however much sugar you thing you will like. I use about a table spoonful but I do not like it too sweet. Less if using treacle of course

Mix in about 2 teaspoons or so of mixed spice, more if you like spicy. I also add some powdered ginger. All optional

Then pour into a greased flat tin, I use a Pyrex roasting dish

For a bit of a fancy make tram lines in the top using a fork, Either sprinkle with sugar, or nut meg, or cinnamon or whatever you fancy. I use sugar & grate a nutmeg on top

Pop in oven, gas 4, about an hour. You can tell if done if it is firm & top is brownish. It may take longer depending on how much bread / liquid you started with

I never make the same one twice, but as long as it basically follows the above it works, and it finishes up on your hips
    Originally posted by Farway
    That's basically how I used to make it though I like a bit of ground ginger in it. Not made one for years, probably just as well as now I'm CFO I'd scoff the lot

I would have as well

MTSTM - I've cooked rice in the SC but mainly in things like soup. I found just as rice it went a bit claggy despite being well washed before cooking.

Need2bthrifty - glad you solved the spare quinoa dilemma

My "lurgy" has decided it is going to be the "gift that keeps on giving" and has played silly beggars with my balance, so I've done very little today. Lunch ended up being crumpets and tinned soup.... I've decided I don't really fancy juggling boiling pasta and CBA fishing it out so dinner is now a gammon steak with pineapple, a flat mushroom and either a baked spud or oven chips as it can all go in the oven.
    A storm is really building here so I'm glad I'm inside, I've just popped the heating on as despite a top, a jumper and a bodywarmer I was still chilly. I'll worry about the gas bill in the spring
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £107/£200
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 1st Oct 17, 10:08 PM
    • 13,637 Posts
    • 37,074 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    All this talk of quinoa, I thought I'd flag something up for those who aren't that interested ... or who "didn't know that" yet.

It's mostly grown in south america. In the UK a farm in East Anglia was looking to diversify and realised that they could grow it here. Interestingly (you have to snigger), quinoa is grown here and most typically found in wild bird seed mixes So the growers investigated it and started growing it on their farm, organically of course.... and it's full food grade stuff. So people will soon start harping on about "locally sourced" and "eco friendly" home produced quinoa ....

For me .... it's fad stuff... eaten by food bloggers on the Internet so they get more readers/viewers to their blogs. Once they've got enough income I wonder if they actually cook it ....then open the window and toss it out for the birds ...and get a pie from the freezer to eat for real.
    I regard it as high protein, versatile, useful personally.

As I understand it - the move to start growing it here is because those of us in the West are pushing up the prices of it for people in the countries it normally grows in (ie because we are increasing the demand for it). This is a problematic situation and many of us are caught in that cleft stick of wanting to have it and not wanting those in these countries to have higher prices because we want it too.

Hence the move to grow it here - then, hopefully, their prices can go back down again and we can get our quinoa we want. Thus a win win situation if that works out.
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 2nd Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 5,891 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Mmm, the roast lunch was yummy yesterday.

I had two slices of seeded toast with the last of my olive spread just now. I'm trying to eat up everything in the fridge freezer before we order the new one.

I also had a kiwi, a banana and a glass of chocolate soya milk.

I'm bringing a packet of crisps and an apple with me today as last week I ended up buying a sandwich at Pret because I was hungry.

I'm not sure what lunch will be, it will be a late one so I might just decide when I get in.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 2nd Oct 17, 10:35 AM
    • 60,242 Posts
    • 351,962 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ...juggling boiling pasta and CBA fishing it out ...
    Originally posted by caronc
    I nuke it. In the past I've bought a couple of "steam meals" from the supermarket, which come in a long/deep dish with high sides. I kept the dishes and use those.... but any deep dish will do.

Toss in the pasta, cover, just, with boiling water (and/or splash of oil and salt), nuke for 2 mins, stir, add a dribble more water if required, repeat 3-4x until it's cooked.

Then you're just dealing with a small/lightweight dish,with minimal water. If you've the right sort of collander, you can just toss the whole dish into the collander to drain and then pick it out again.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 2nd Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 5,569 Posts
    • 7,000 Thanks
    Farway
    That's basically how I used to make it though I like a bit of ground ginger in it. Not made one for years, probably just as well as now I'm CFO I'd scoff the lot

I would have as well

My "lurgy" has decided it is going to be the "gift that keeps on giving" and has played silly beggars with my balance, so I've done very little today.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I like the gift idea, my lurgy is following your pattern despite the hundreds of miles in between. Back to sniffling again, sleepless night and just skulking around. I had intended dashing out and doing all sorts, finished up on sofa with a cuppa watching the terrible Las Vegas news and having sliced banana with Greek yoghurt & honey

Due to lurgy the thought of my HM soup, whilst sounding appealing just did not appeal, so I have frozen two portions to reduce the amount staring at me

Lunch will now be real comfort CBA grub of pork pie, with mustard smeared on

Dinner has also changed from planned to easy baked spud, with I think tuna & mayo innards and maybe some side salad. Easy and convenient
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 2nd Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 8,096 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone

Sorry you're both still not feeling very well caronc and farway, I hope that you soon get better.

I'm another one who had Greek yoghurt for breakfast and with a banana as well.
    Luch has been a toasted cheese sandwich.
    I got quite a lot of y/s veg yesterday so I'm having some cod with parsley sauce, mashed potatoes and lots of veg for dinner.

Having looked at the amount of veg, I've got a feeling that I may have bought too much and will have trouble using it up .
    • Farway
    • By Farway 2nd Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 5,569 Posts
    • 7,000 Thanks
    Farway
    Afternoon everyone

Sorry you're both still not feeling very well caronc and farway, I hope that you soon get better.

I'm another one who had Greek yoghurt for breakfast and with a banana as well.
    Luch has been a toasted cheese sandwich.
    I got quite a lot of y/s veg yesterday so I'm having some cod with parsley sauce, mashed potatoes and lots of veg for dinner.

Having looked at the amount of veg, I've got a feeling that I may have bought too much and will have trouble using it up .
    Thanks for the thoughts

You have another meal in the making there HH, just do extra mash & veg and you have got a Bubble & squeak in waiting. Only needs frying & brown sauce, plus could go wild and bung an egg on the top for protein

The pork pie lunch was excellent. I know PPs are rubbish, but oh they are so tasty. I made mine extra healthy but having a fresh tomato & some black olives with it
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 2nd Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 13,637 Posts
    • 37,074 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Just had lunch and made it the main meal for the day.

So pasta with a sauce of loads of tomatoes (from the garden), pesto, garlic scapes (from the garden) and a bit of quorn mince I'm using up (so as not to waste it) with various flavourings. Bit of grated parmesan on top (so as not to waste it). Accompanied by a salad of greens from the garden with topping of yogurt with lemon juice in.

Little gap in stomach filled by drink of rice milk. Didnt have room for any fruit even.
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 2nd Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 8,096 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    You have another meal in the making there HH, just do extra mash & veg and you have got a Bubble & squeak in waiting. Only needs frying & brown sauce, plus could go wild and bung an egg on the top for protein
    Originally posted by Farway
    Yes, I may well do that, I haven't had bubble and squeak for ages. I may have that with some gammon tomorrow for dinner .
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 2nd Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 60,242 Posts
    • 351,962 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I don't cry when I cut onions.

I have a soup in the slow cooker .... which is in the kitchen, the window has been opened in there. The kitchen door is closed. Then there is the hallway, then the living room. The door of the living room is closed. The patio door in the living room is open.... and STILL my eyes are burning and my nose is irritated!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 2nd Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 60,242 Posts
    • 351,962 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    You know you shouldn't be cooking when ... you can't find the tub of Bisto granules.... you had them earlier. You'd tidied up after yourself ... so they're here somewhere.... but where.

Ah ... they're in the fridge
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 2nd Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 8,096 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    You know you shouldn't be cooking when ... you can't find the tub of Bisto granules.... you had them earlier. You'd tidied up after yourself ... so they're here somewhere.... but where.

Ah ... they're in the fridge
    This is exactly the sort of thing that I do .
    • kittie
    • By kittie 2nd Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 11,125 Posts
    • 62,060 Thanks
    kittie
    lol re the bisto in the fridge, me too

I have gone back to morning porridge made with water and milk. I loved it this morning with a bit of maple syrup. Ordinary rolled oats organic and not jumbo, I cannot get organic jumbo in sainsburys so have had to order some online. Its that time of year when comfort eating is needed

Was busy this am so had de-frosted ratatouille with broccolli on top and a nice piece of megrim sole pan fried in butter. Later meal at teatime was a pack of miso soup with hot water and some goats cheese on sourdough. Grapefruit and a kiwi for snacks. I didn`t half fancy cake, so have made a choc cake in the bm, with choc chips and cacao and I used half the amount of sugar. I had one slice and froze the other 7 pieces quickly

I have been eating soup but could not face the amount I had left over yesterday, sad face but I did put the rest down the sink. It had no appeal whatsoever. In future I am going to make small amounts of soup. Tomorrow I will be making some berry compote, cold whole berries hold no attraction at this time of year, so compote will do nicely. I like it mixed in with some creamy thick yoghurt and a few walnuts. Just enough for three days. Its also that time of year when I like to cook a batch of dried fruit and keep it in the fridge for several days, nice with breakfast
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

314Posts Today

3,846Users online

Martin's Twitter