Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,222Posts
    • 14,984Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
Page 66
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,248 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    OMG I am SO pleased I had that burger.... no signs of me tiring of them whatsoever ...

I randomly bought a jar of Colman's Ketchup some months ago and my god that's gorgeous. I've been used to eating cheap stuff which was "It's ketchup, nothing to write home about", but I'd tell ANYBODY to try the Colman's ... I must've got it from Home Bargains or something, for about £1 else it wouldn't have come to my attention.

It's amazing... I will definitely seek it out to buy it from now on, rather than randomly grabbing an own-brand cheapo ketchup.

Just googled it, £1 at Iceland. Maybe that's where I got it, I know I was in an Iceland about 9 months ago. http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/colmans-ketchup-800g/p/59223
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Sep 17, 6:42 PM
    • 5,492 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Farway
    OMG I am SO pleased I had that burger.... no signs of me tiring of them whatsoever ...

I randomly bought a jar of Colman's Ketchup some months ago and my god that's gorgeous. I've been used to eating cheap stuff which was "It's ketchup, nothing to write home about", but I'd tell ANYBODY to try the Colman's ... I must've got it from Home Bargains or something, for about £1 else it wouldn't have come to my attention.

It's amazing... I will definitely seek it out to buy it from now on, rather than randomly grabbing an own-brand cheapo ketchup.

Just googled it, £1 at Iceland. Maybe that's where I got it, I know I was in an Iceland about 9 months ago. http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/colmans-ketchup-800g/p/59223
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Oh Oh PN, that's two branded items you now prefer to cheapo, Bisto gravy & now the ketchup

We'll know times are a changing when you come out of Mark's beaming at the quality V price
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 14th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 7,310 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Those mint and lamb ones are lovely. Now you've mentioned them I may have one for lunch tomorrow now.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 14th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    • 25,623 Posts
    • 103,751 Thanks
    candygirl
    Baked camembert, n crunchy tiger loaf for tea 🤑Feel v fat now 😂
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,984 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

Yum - chocolate brownies and baked camembert how lush.

I've had a bit of a frustrating day - my loo is still not flushing 100% , when my son is up at the weekend I'm going to get him to hoick the pressure washer out of the garage and see if a good blast with that solves the problem!

Then as the weather was dry I decided to do some gardening, popped into the greenhouse to see what was needing picking to discover my toms had started with blight so my kitchen is now full of toms in varying stages of ripeness and the plants are binned. Consequently I'm shattered so it was lovely to get a call from friends to say they were in Troon and did I fancy a fish supper? It was lovely to see them and the fish & chips were lovely so no CFO for me tonight. In fact no CFO for a few days as my son is home tomorrow night until Sunday
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,248 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Oh Oh PN, that's two branded items you now prefer to cheapo, Bisto gravy & now the ketchup

We'll know times are a changing when you come out of Mark's beaming at the quality V price
    Originally posted by Farway
    I think the Colman's probably compares very well /100g compared to the L1dl/4ldi cheapos, which are smaller. Colman's looks a big bottle. It's 800g, so £1.25/Kg.

I'll check.... Lidl is 49p for 565g, so £8.70/Kg. But as I'll only get through 1-2 bottles a year, it's not worth worrying about the additional pennies.
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 14th Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    poppystar

Originally posted by Farway
    She could maybe do that this weekend Marks have chickens at £2 small and £2.50 medium….don't normally buy a whole one myself but am deffo thinking about t if they have some left next visit.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 14th Sep 17, 10:25 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 7,310 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    She could maybe do that this weekend Marks have chickens at £2 small and £2.50 medium….don't normally buy a whole one myself but am deffo thinking about t if they have some left next visit.
    Originally posted by poppystar
    That's unusual for Marks. It's a very good price, but I'm not keen on the dark meat on chicken so usually buy the mini joints or crowns if it's just for me.
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 15th Sep 17, 5:50 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    poppystar
    That's unusual for Marks. It's a very good price, but I'm not keen on the dark meat on chicken so usually buy the mini joints or crowns if it's just for me.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Yes, I'm much the same - mainly for me because a whole bird looks like a bird! I really like to not think about what the meat I'm eating was before.

Only tempted because of price and I fancy a change from lamb which i've been eating a lot of recently.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Sep 17, 6:33 AM
    • 11,053 Posts
    • 60,998 Thanks
    kittie
    not much idea today, I`ll be winging it again

Best meal yesterday was the previously made soup, lentil, carrot, tomato and carrot. I put some extra water in and spelt pasta and for serving added a length of soft goats cheese, was lovely, a comforting bowlful

Breakfast was spelt flakes, raspberries and almond milk. I have red cabbage, a small celeriac and various other veggies, I may just make celeriac wedges and cook the rest in one pan and add some prepared beans like soya from a jar

Brilliant making session yesterday, made two more different things in the new bm. Best was cinnamon buns, rich dough spread with stuff, rolled, cut, rose and baked. They went up massively and because I made them myself, I hardly used any added sugar and added some raisins. 9 made and 8 frozen. Plus made a spelt loaf, now in small bread bin and not freezer

I have to keep freezer diving, not sure about the last meal
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Sep 17, 9:46 AM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,248 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I fear whole chickens .... or anything that has bones, fat, skin. It's just so gross looking. I limit my chicken to boneless breasts ... even the skin being on there grosses me out until I remove it (using a knife and fork so I don't touch it). Ewwwwww.

Not sure what to eat. There's stuff open, which needs to be eaten .... which is making me think maybe a cheese/tomato savoury bake/loaf bread pudding combo of some sort which would use up some bread, the milk, cheese and tomatoes I have to get through.

People say when you're CFO you can "eat what you want!" - NO. You have to eat all this stuff you've already opened, that's going off, that you have to eat alone, all of it .... so, having opened anything it lurks and you end up continuously focussing on what needs using up, no time to "eat what you want" most of the time... you're simply food juggling and making do and using up.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 15-09-2017 at 9:50 AM.
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 15th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    poppystar
    People say when you're CFO you can "eat what you want!" - NO. You have to eat all this stuff you've already opened, that's going off, that you have to eat alone, all of it .... so, having opened anything it lurks and you end up continuously focussing on what needs using up, no time to "eat what you want" most of the time... you're simply food juggling and making do and using up.
    Not just that ^^ but also there are lots of things that I just wouldn't buy no matter how much I might want them because they are sold in too big portions, are too costly, or need to be used in recipes too complicated to contemplate and would take too long to cook relative to eating time…or need kitchen gadgets that I don't have and that wouldn't fit in the kitchen!!

So NO I don't think we can eat what we want.

At least not at home. I save up such things for restaurant meals or eating out. Usually meals with lots of different ingredients but only a few bits of each so making it near impossible to do at home without lots of wastage. e.g.. salads stuffed with loads of goodies

Ready meals get bad press but they do allow more variety overall so I do succumb on occasion

Now I must go figure what to do with the 600g of grapes I picked up YS for 45p...
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,248 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Now I must go figure what to do with the 600g of grapes I picked up YS for 45p...
    Certainly the "tip" of freezing them to add as ice cubes to drinks is a naff one .... you'd have to be an alcoholic to get through them ...
    And it still doesn't address the fact they'd take up freezer space.

Best thing is probably to put them in a bowl very close to you and rely on just nibbling at them for 3-4 days. Even that's a bit optimistic.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Sep 17, 12:59 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,248 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I need to make a bubble/squeak as I've half a cabbage to use up ... but I've no spuds as I used those the other day - and I don't wish to buy more spuds as I want "a break" between buying things in big bags that then lurk a long time.

I'll probably end up just eating it as cabbage as I've also got carrots to use up ... and I've some mixed swede/spud mash I made Sunday that's now on its last legs. So, today, it looks like lunch and tea might have to be those leftovers .... but with what? I've nothing to go with them unless I shove a burger on the plate, which is a bit odd.

Oh - and 1/3rd of a swede .... still got that.

I'll remember something soon that makes a meal of that rag bag of stuff.

And let's not even wonder what will be happening to the loaf of bread and the tomatoes that are sitting idle while/if I cook those vegetables. There's a limit to how much food you can eat in one day ....

And the milk is best before tomorrow.... and I've opened a pack of cheese slices.... 10 left.

I would make one of those wartime pies.... woolton .... except that's spud-reliant.

I've got "all the wrong veggies" for many things... not even good for a veg curry/chilli.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 15-09-2017 at 1:04 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,248 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    OK, I had that unexpected thought .... cottage pie .... because I've got leftover swede/spud mash ... which can go on top. The carrots I've got can go in with the lamb and the cabbage can be served on the side

So I'll knock that up in a bit. Need a rest first while I gather my Round Tuit.

It'll have chicken gravy because .... as a CFO you can't have a selection of gravy in the cupboard, you have to choose just one and get through all of that - and I currently have chicken granules in the cupboard.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 15th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 7,310 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Yet again I had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast. I'm going to have something different tomorrow.

I've opened another tin of tuna, so I'm back on the tuna mayo sandwiches for lunch.

Dinner is going to be a lamb rump steak with steamed veg and mash. When I was rummaging through the freezer to find something for dinner this morning I realised that I've got quite a lot of lamb in there, so it looks like lamb will be on the menu quite a lot for a while.
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 15th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    poppystar
    Idea for some of the grapes - am about to do a veg curry so I may throw some in there after all they are only undried raisons/sultanas or whatever aren't they and you often find those in curries.

Otherwise it is the put them close by and nibble relentlessly - but healthier than crisps or chocolate

Didn't know you could freeze as ice cubes - do they really not go squishy when they melt in the drink? May try one or two of those although it will be non-alcoholic drinks I would put them in of course
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,248 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    OMG .... this is one of the best shepherd's pies I've ever had....

Yet again: why don't I cook more often .... because I love the end result when I do

It's used up half an unopened bag of lamb mince I had in the freezer ... and some swede/carrot mash from the freezer ... and the last of the swede/spud mash from the fridge ... and some peas from the freezer ... and one of the onions that was starting to get a bit manky ... and one of the carrots bought last week.

Got a portion of the mince mix leftover.... so that goes in the fridge for tomorrow.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 15-09-2017 at 3:59 PM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 15th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 7,310 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    OMG .... this is one of the best shepherd's pies I've ever had....

Yet again: why don't I cook more often .... because I love the end result when I do
    I love shepherd's pie, and like you when I make it I always think that I should do it more often. I don't know why I don't. It's one of those meals that I would quite happily make and eat two or three days running.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 5,492 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Farway
    Thanks for that, I find Mark's chicks are nice, and if they are roast in bag, even better. I have no qualms about chickens, or preparing them. Old school, sitting in Nan's kitchen gutting & plucking them. We even used to pull the tendons in the claws to make a grab. I expect she would be reported for child cruelty these days, or write a blog about homely food

Nil breakfast

Lild had one YS I fancied, smoked mackerel, so quick change of plan for dinner

Lunch was ham salad sandwich, now down to the last couple of slices for tomorrow, then change lunch food

Dinner will now be YS smoked mackerel, salad, and was going to be baked spud, but the spud had sprouted, so now it is same spud but chipped in the Actifry
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

83Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin