Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,226Posts
    • 15,017Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
Page 65
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 15,017 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

The aubergine bake is being abandoned temporarily - I just don't fancy it as I've a real notion for mince & tatties. Though having just read PNs post could end up being mince & dumplings. The weather is supposed to pick up a bit after today so the veggie bake will get made when the weather is drier, it's currently tipping it down. Breakfast was the usual toast/fruit and lunch will probably be the last frozen portion of chicken soup.

MTSTM - I'm a questioner too!
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • meg72
    • By meg72 13th Sep 17, 12:19 PM
    • 4,917 Posts
    • 45,174 Thanks
    meg72
    Awwww dumplings, love em will be making up a batch to stock in freezer so handy then to toss in a stew.

Spending as little time on cooking as poss and getting on with sewing and crafting for Christmas fair. Really pleased with myself yesterday. I wanted to do some make up bags but really struggled putting in the zip. Tried and tried but couldnt get it right then Bingo after four hours unpicking and trying again I got it. I watched a Debbie Shore tutorial and realised where I was going wrong. I was starting the open end of the zip instead of the closed end. Lol easy when you know how eh? So now have a nice collection of lined zippered bags and more zips ordered from china I get the fabric for free from the charity shop and the zips cost 10p each. Really cheap and quick to make.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Sep 17, 12:25 PM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,393 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Awwww dumplings, love em will be making up a batch to stock in freezer so handy then to toss in a stew.
    Originally posted by meg72
    No need for that. Premix a box of suet and 400g of flour, keep in a lidded container (click/lock). Spoon out just what you need the minute you want them ... nuke in your gravy .... (cover, 1m, turn, 1m, turn, 1m, turn) and they are perfect/cooked... and eaten. You know when you make a stew and there's more gravy than you can eat? ... I freeze that to cook the dumplings in when I'm JUST scoffing dumplings.

Got invited to dinner one night - it was a stew... host mentioned dumplings as a "wish we had" and I said "I'll knock them up". Best dumplings they'd ever had and couldn't believe it just worked.

I'll shove a photo up when I knock mine up later. It used to be easier when the boxes were 250g as that was an exact match for the 500g bags of flour so no measuring whatsoever needed to do the mix. Now they're all 200g, which is annoying.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 13-09-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 993 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Now I fancy some dumplings.

I made lots of steamed veggies and mash for lunch with brown sauce. Yummy.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon all,

I'm doing the minimum of cooking today. I had Greek yoghurt and some berries for breakfast and a cheese and salad sandwich for lunch.

Dinner will be some steamed veg, a chicken breast portion, mash and some gravy that I got out of the freezer.

PN the gravy was leftover from a stew
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,393 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Well, that went down a treat. Didn't do carrots in the end, just left it at using up the cabbage/swede from Sunday and tossed in some peas and chicken chunks. Two dumblies

I "forced" it into one pot, to minimise washing up, so did the stew first, then scooped out a lot of veggie bits to give room for the dumplings on top. Dumps are best cooked if given enough space of their own .... which would have meant a second dish. But it doesn't alter the taste if you chuck them on top of other stuff - they just don't look "magazine photo perfect". They're a steamed item, so benefit from a good steaming, with space ... but sometimes we all "skimp" on end result for one reason or another.

Here's a photo:

https://s26.postimg.org/e77g51l2h/Chicken_Stew.jpg

nezolqs4q

If I were cooking for somebody else, I'd have done it differently:
    - carrots would be in there - and some onions
    - gravy would be thicker
    - dumblies would've been cooked separately, to give them room to 'grow'

But when it's just you there are no extra points for presentation!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Sep 17, 2:51 PM
    • 5,499 Posts
    • 6,721 Thanks
    Farway
    Up early, woken by howling wind & something crashing over, sounded like a dustbin, except we don't have them round here any longer

No breakfast, didn't fancy making it, which was a pity 'cos I had pencilled in eggs on toast. Found there is a lot of carp on TV early morning

The sole YS haul was some mushrooms, nice ones, down to 30p from £1, and that decided tonight's dinner

Lunch used up two stale crusts with cheese on toast with some of "new" jar of 2013 vintage HM chutney

Dinner is turning out to be omelette, using the eggs I got out but never used for breakfast, plus the YS mushrooms, probably chips, and the LO half tin of beans, maybe a fresh tom just for a hint of fresh veg in there

That should be it, I have a fasting blood test tomorrow morning, so nothing but water from about 8 tonight
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 25,668 Posts
    • 103,933 Thanks
    candygirl
    No CFO for me tonight!Am out for tea with Mum
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Sep 17, 6:57 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 15,017 Thanks
    caronc
    The mince is simmering away and a load tatties are in the pressure cooker for mash. Brine is cooling for the shallots so will jar them in a bit. I feel I've been reasonably productive for once.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,393 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    No idea today. Aldi have mixed peppers at 65p for the next 2 weeks, so one morning I'll have to pop down and get some - or wait the full 2 weeks and go in later when customers are sick of the sight of them and there'll be lots left later in the day

I've got some swede/spud mash I made about 3 days ago, should eat that really ... but can't think what with as I don't fancy "cooking a full meal" to go with that.

Last night I had a slice of toast + choc spread on 3 occasions across the evening - and I had the final two spoons of some random spud mash I had loitering in the fridge (lifted lid of the container, got a spoon, ate it). I also finished off the last knob of the chicken I cooked on Sunday - I had to eat it as it'd been in the fridge 3 days and wasn't really enough to turn into anything, so just stood and ate it cold from the box while waiting for some toast to cook.

I'll think about that swede/spud mash and do something so fabulous with it your minds will be blown .... er, or, more likely, I'll nuke it with beans or something

Oh ... oh ... oh ... I COULD cook some mince and use it as the topping!
    That'd work. Shepherd's pie with swede/spud mash .... and open a tin of beans maybe.

Sounds like a meal to me. So ... it might happen; it might not.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Sep 17, 8:38 AM
    • 5,499 Posts
    • 6,721 Thanks
    Farway
    'Morning

Blood test in a bit, so nothing except water since last night

Like PN, absolutely no ideas for meals today. I have eaten / used all the bits I had sculling around, so down to bread, cheese & ham unless a masiive light bulb flashes on as I lurk around Asda later

I spoted an apple pud recipe in the W/rose newspaper, looks easy but needs eggs, but used them last night. May just get more & help use up some of the apple Alps, plus my free found in car park tin of custard. Very MSM, free apples & custard
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had peanut butter on crackers this morning as I forgot to buy bread in the online grocery shopping. Very unlike me!

I might go into Lidl to buy bread on the way home today and I will look around there for inspiration of what to eat for lunch. I don't know what I'm in the mood for.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Sep 17, 8:55 AM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,393 Thanks
    PasturesNew

I might go into Lidl .... I will look around there for inspiration of what to eat for lunch. I don't know what I'm in the mood for.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    You could always check out the Organic Chia Shots

No bl00dy idea what they are still .... or why anybody with even half a right mind would buy them.

Chips are always a winning choice. Everybody needs chips

It's increasingly harder to wander into the likes of L1dl/4ldi and discover something you'll fancy.

It's changeover day on their weekly offers today - four items at 99p (blimey, priced out of cheap veg at L1dl!) ... and their meat/fish stuff's not exciting either. https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Offers.htm?id=84&week=1
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    You could always check out the Organic Chia Shots

No bl00dy idea what they are still .... or why anybody with even half a right mind would buy them.

Chips are always a winning choice. Everybody needs chips
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    No idea what they are, someone told me that they think chia seeds look like frogspawn!

I was actually thinking that I might be tempted by chips on the way home. There is a nice chip shop not far from my massage place. Hmm...
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,393 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Lunch has morphed into an unexpected small batch of Chocolate Brownies

Currently they are cooling.

5"/13cm square, so difficult to know whether to slice into four quarters, or six smaller pieces, or 16 "bites".

Also not sure whether to calculate the calories now (it's made, it'll be eaten) ... or after I've scoffed the lot

Ah ... decided to do it now.... ~1400 calories for the lot! Oops.

EDIT: I cut them into six pieces.... one being eaten, five cooling.

EDIT: That moment when you're still niggled by how much flour you needed ... only to realise 2 hours after eating the brownies that you put in double the flour you should have. Felt it was "wrong" when I was doing it ... but didn't stop and think, just kept pouring. Oh well, they were edible.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 14-09-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 14th Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Lunch has morphed into an unexpected small batch of Chocolate Brownies

Currently they are cooling.

5"/13cm square, so difficult to know whether to slice into four quarters, or six smaller pieces, or 16 "bites".

Also not sure whether to calculate the calories now (it's made, it'll be eaten) ... or after I've scoffed the lot

Ah ... decided to do it now.... ~1400 calories for the lot! Oops.

EDIT: I cut them into six pieces.... one being eaten, five cooling.

EDIT: That moment when you're still niggled by how much flour you needed ... only to realise 2 hours after eating the brownies that you put in double the flour you should have. Felt it was "wrong" when I was doing it ... but didn't stop and think, just kept pouring. Oh well, they were edible.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Chocolate brownies are always worth the calories . They're one of my favourite chocolate treats.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 14th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon all,

I'm still working my way through the extra eggs I accidently bought so had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast again!

I've made a chicken and mushroom sauce using up some left over chicken from dinner yesterday, and some creme fraiche that a nighbour bought to try and didn't like. I've had that with some spaghetti. That was my main meal today.

I'll have a cheese sandwich either with salad or toasted for tea and I fancy an apple and blackberry crumble. I've got a few in the freezer. I'll have that with some ice cream or custard.

I don't have too much that needs using up at the moment. I need to get a few fresh things tomorrow.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 993 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I bought some rolls from Lidl so I will probably just have one toasted with a can of soup. I have a can of Amy's Spanish Rice & Red Bean Soup in the cupboard.

I resisted the temptation of the chip shop, mostly because I walked down a road I hadn't been down before and completely lost my bearings.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Sep 17, 5:54 PM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,393 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Gone for: the last of the jalaeno burgers + big bread roll + slice of cheese + ketchup. burger/roll were freezer items. Already bought the next box of burgers, which are the mint ones again.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 5,499 Posts
    • 6,721 Thanks
    Farway
    Blood test taken, b88locking from Nursey, should've booked double time because I had two pages from the Doc.

If it were not for the fact she was going to stick a needle in my vein I would have replied with something a bit stronger than a wimpy "Oh, no one told me"

Anyway, nothing to inspire on my mooching, but for the gardeners among us, Wilkinson's have heavy reductions in the garden depT, not seeds or fertilisers yet, but supports / canes and BBQ stuff, even a petrol mower at £60

Lunch was ham salad sandwich again

Dinner was the last of tinned salmon with salad & chips
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

1,176Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin