Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,598Posts
    • 17,001Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
Page 64
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Sep 17, 7:42 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I put two huge jacket potatoes in the oven last night, they took about two hours to cook! My husband had his with grated cheese and I made a chickpea salad for mine. Chickpeas, sweetcorn, yellow pepper and cherry tomatoes with some lemon juice, salt and a spoonful of egg free mayo. Yummy! I then snacked on pistachio nuts, some squares of dark chocolate and a few glasses of white wine while watching TV.

I will probably make that chickpea salad again for lunch. Breakfast is to be crumpets and jam and a cup of tea. I'm not sure about dinner yet.

Blimey, it looks like Hurricane Irma has arrived here now, black as coal, hammering down and so windy a couple of large boughs broken on nearby tree
    Originally posted by Farway
    Weather is changing rapidly here too and it's been blowing a hooley since lunch time
    Originally posted by caronc
    It was really loud thunder and lightning here yesterday afternoon too.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Sep 17, 8:03 AM
    • 13,904 Posts
    • 37,820 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

I couldn't believe my eyes! I had to go back and take a double check .... they actually had some funny little sachets with the box saying they were: Organic Chia Shots.

Now .. I've absolutely NO idea what that even is .... but the fact it had the word organic in the title ... and chia .... means they don't want the custom of "my sort", but are seeking the larger wallets of people who like their latest food and fads
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I'll let ya' get away with teasing me Pastures - considering as how I've discovered you've got a very kind heart

Chia seeds - yep...duly got them in my larder and will probably chuck some on my morning porridge in a minute. Though I did manage to snag an enormous (1 kg) bag of them recently for about £7. Can't remember the details - but they've got all sorts of goodness in them. There is the factor as well of the way they swell up with liquid and I gather were used by whoever-it-was (native Americans??) or someone anyways as a way to help fill the stomach and eat less food (sounds like a good idea to me when one has some weight to lose still...).

I won't buy things like "chia shots" and the like and the other excuses manufacturers dream up for getting a bit of "added value" from them. One adds up paying a noticeable amount for something that represents a rather small amount of food to eat that way.

Is keeping fingers crossed here re the weather. Autumn has descended anyway - and there have been a few gales already here. So fingers seriously crossed when they say that the tail-end of 3 hurricanes could end up hitting Britain - when one lives in a part of the country prone to gales anyway (as they come straight across the Atlantic and hit us here I gather). Not sure the "locals" here would call what we've had so far gales. But, coming from somewhere about as "calm as a mill pond" means I do call them gales. Reminds me - I must google as to how to prevent myself getting to look "weather-beaten" living here. To date my strategy has consisted of staying in as far as possible when it's a gale outside - but that's not really a very good strategy - considering how often they happen here. Right - off to trawl beauty pages about "going out in the wind" without getting "wind damage" to face.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-09-2017 at 8:11 AM.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 60,665 Posts
    • 354,660 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast, splash of the brown stuff on top. Black coffee.

Seemed easiest as it only takes 2 minutes and I have bread and eggs and buttery stuff. This month's buttery stuff is the 75p tub from L1dl, Heavenly Buttery or similar name... didn't get the "low fat" one this time, thought I'd live dangerously just for the LOLZ.

Definitely need to pull my finger out .... and get some of the chicken I cooked Sunday and some peas from the freezer ... and make a white sauce .... and make that swede/potato mash ... and shove it all together in a pie-like fashion with a blast under the grill to give it a brown finish. Later though...
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,116 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I had scrambled eggs on toast again this morning.

I got some minced lamb out of the freezer for dinner tonight and have made a shepherd's pie.

I've settled on a cheese and pickle sandwich for lunch.

Need to pop out in a minute and get some milk and a couple of other things because I've got a washing machine being delivered tomorrow so have to wait in. I'll see if there is anything I fancy for dinner tomorrow while I'm out.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 13,904 Posts
    • 37,820 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Right - tomatoes and all that.

So - I know one can freeze ripe tomatoes okay no problem.

But what about green ones - for those (like myself) that don't like green ones? I'm wondering if there's any way I can freeze green ones and then hoick them out of the freezer later and be able to "ripen them on" into being red/ripe ones iyswim.

I'm guessing the answer is a "no" - but it's worth asking just in case.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,789 Thanks
    kittie
    no to green tomatoes money, they won`t ripen. You could freeze and make green tomato chutney in the future but all that sugar!! I was at work once in se wales and someone got word that all her sea facing windows had blown out. I hate strong wind

Lunch was nice and so easy, just runners and spelt pasta cooked together and I mixed in anchovy and some creamy goats cheese. I need a rest now, I have done so much work this morning and am listening to my body, I hope it says `get up and go` later. Lots of veggies were juiced earlier and I drank half, will have the other half late afternoon. Its a masticating juicer

I have to make lentil soup, will probably just add a tin of tomatoes and some chopped carrots to my turkey stock, which was previously cooked with all the works, like celery, onion

I don`t eat unadulterated seeds any more, most need grinding or are useless in the body and anyway can stick in little pockets in the gut and cause problems later. I threw my chia away last year. Having said that I just ate sprouted alfalfa seeds, a different kettle of fish altogether
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,116 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Right - tomatoes and all that.

So - I know one can freeze ripe tomatoes okay no problem.

But what about green ones - for those (like myself) that don't like green ones? I'm wondering if there's any way I can freeze green ones and then hoick them out of the freezer later and be able to "ripen them on" into being red/ripe ones iyswim.

I'm guessing the answer is a "no" - but it's worth asking just in case.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I would say no to this based on personal experience. I tried to do the same thing a few years ago and it didn't work at all. All I ended up with was some green soggy tomatoes . But we learn from mistakes and I won't try that one again .
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    • 5,650 Posts
    • 7,376 Thanks
    Farway
    Nil breakfast, but fancying the eggs on toast thoughts, idea put to one side for another day

Into Lild this morning, I get the idea of priced out and "odd" stuff as mentioned by PN, I've not reached priced out yet, at least on what I normally buy there, which today was exciting bleach, iceberg lettuce, jar of Lidl instant coffee & daff bulbs. £4.17 kerching !. Nothing YS to tempt at all, there were items but nothing I would buy.

I bought the lettuce because today is salad day, put off from yeaterday, I think it will open a tin of salmon, baked spud & salad bits
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 60,665 Posts
    • 354,660 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I made/ate the chicken pie .... chicken/peas/sauce ... topped with swede/spud .... browned.

Then I looked at it and thought I'd have something on the side and reached for a few chips.

Totally stuffed now. Ate WAY too much.

Glad I made the pie ... but I've still a mound of chicken to use up... I'll end up freezing some of that I bet, unless I turn it into a "dip into the fridge and nibble a bit when passing" food item
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 12th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 26,016 Posts
    • 105,418 Thanks
    candygirl
    I keep losing posts today , so I'll keep this short
    Went to ALDI today, n got a top up shop.Tea will probs be a cheese omelette n chips later on , n I aim to make a red lentil lasagne too
    TTFN
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 5,650 Posts
    • 7,376 Thanks
    Farway
    The salmon salad for dinner was excellent, I really should have more salads instead of chips
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    • 60,665 Posts
    • 354,660 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I really should have more salads instead of chips
    Originally posted by Farway
    OMG .... was the salad poisoned? You're talking nonsense!!
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 12-09-2017 at 8:56 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Sep 17, 9:14 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Today has been "one of those days" in lots of ways.... Turns out "toilet problem" is not just me but a fractured sewer elsewhere (sorry Dad) due to excess rain. Weather has been dire and internet playing up. Needless to say cooking has not been high on the agenda and dinner is a ping one + some oven chips- roll on duvet snuggling time

MTSTM - get the green toms on/near a sunny window and they will ripen. Might not be quite as tasty as vine ripened ones but fine for sauce/passatta
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 5:32 AM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,789 Thanks
    kittie
    Thinking about food isn`t so hard today, I have a made veg juice in the fridge for later, masticated juice keeps a couple of days. Was up early, felt too cool so will have to adjust bedding for tonight and oatmeal with small figs is cooking for breakfast. Soup later, it turned out yummy, the tinned tomatoes and chopped flat leaf parsley added that extra nice taste to an `ordinary` lentil and carrot soup. Looks like a cheese salad at mid day, feta and I am going to have a go at freezing the rest of it in portions, so far every cheese has frozen well, a bit of tasty bulk with some frozen roasted parsnips. I really like them, they are not sweet and gives me as much mouth satisfaction as crisps. I only grew 2/3 of a bed this year, will grow a full bed next year

That leaves puddings: Dark chocolate, a bowl of blackcurrants and raspberries topped with puffed amaranth and half a yoghurt and the last currant bun when I fancy a treat

I have almost finished my freezer bread, I cannot wait to make bread on an as needed basis, using my bm
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 5:40 AM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,789 Thanks
    kittie
    yum, the oatmeal is lovely and the figs make it sweet enough. I made it with hm almond milk and water and have just added more almond milk. The nut milk makes nice porridge and I make it from sprouted almonds, just until the tiny root starts to show. I soak the pinhead oatmeal all night in the fridge. Just right on a miserable windy day
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    • 13,904 Posts
    • 37,820 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    There's a thought for when I get round to having a go at making my own plant milks. Note to self - try sprouting the almond a little first.

I've just "expanded my repertoire" a bit recently and added almond milk as one I'm okay with - after already having rice milk as one (but it's gotta be Rice Dream brand - and not any other make or I did have a go at making my own one time and it was not successful).
    #MeToo

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I just noticed your signature Moneyistooshorttomention, I have done that quiz and I am a Questioner too.

I had a sandwich for dinner last night.

Vegan cheese, marg, tomatoes, lettuce and brown sauce in a baguette. It was nice. I had a big handful of pistachios and an orange too.

Went to ALDI today, n got a top up shop.Tea will probs be a cheese omelette n chips later on , n I aim to make a red lentil lasagne too
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Red lentil lasagne sounds nice. I've never made that before.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 13,904 Posts
    • 37,820 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Wednesday - Have you read the book with that quiz in? I'm wondering whether I should buy or borrow it?

I admit to being interested what proportion of the population are deemed to fall into each category. There's times when I think "Right - any time I question and the person being questioned obviously wishes I'd just 'take their word for it and obey'" I'm now inclined to turn round and say "Mine is a perfectly valid personality type - one of 4 in our society".

I think one of our roles is helping to keep our societies democratic (errr....well....in theory...ahem....) as we question people who try and make out they are more "important" etc (for whatever excuse they can think up to try and justify it - be it paid a lot more/born into right background/got a "Title" of some description as an "executive" of whatever-it-is). Making out we're Somebody or brown-nosing people that are making out they're Somebody 'r not us LOL. We don't suck up to people or look to be in the "in crowd" for the sake of it. At a cynics guess our least likely phrase would be "How do I fit in here?". Our most likely phrase "What's going on here? Please explain it logically to me".

Good job we don't live in Saudi Arabia isnt it? Our type probably "disappears" rather frequently or gets locked into their homes by a male "guardian"
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 13-09-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    #MeToo

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Sep 17, 10:40 AM
    • 60,665 Posts
    • 354,660 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Here's one that'll get some of you going .... I think I've decided that today is chicken stew & dumplings day

I've got peas, cabbage, swede, carrots, chicken ... so those would make the backbone of the stew. I've got sweetcorn I could chuck in ... and onions .... so it looks like "I might as well do that then" - and no decent stew is worthy of the name without a monster dumpling, or two more genteel ones, perched on top
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 13-09-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Wednesday - Have you read the book with that quiz in? I'm wondering whether I should buy or borrow it?

I admit to being interested what proportion of the population are deemed to fall into each category. There's times when I think "Right - any time I question and the person being questioned obviously wishes I'd just 'take their word for it and obey'" I'm now inclined to turn round and say "Mine is a perfectly valid personality type - one of 4 in our society".

I think one of our roles is helping to keep our societies democratic (errr....well....in theory...ahem....) as we question people who try and make out they are more "important" etc (for whatever excuse they can think up to try and justify it - be it paid a lot more/born into right background/got a "Title" of some description as an "executive" of whatever-it-is). Making out we're Somebody or brown-nosing people that are making out they're Somebody 'r not us LOL. We don't suck up to people or look to be in the "in crowd" for the sake of it. At a cynics guess our least likely phrase would be "How do I fit in here?". Our most likely phrase "What's going on here? Please explain it logically to me".

Good job we don't live in Saudi Arabia isnt it? Our type probably "disappears" rather frequently or gets locked into their homes by a male "guardian"
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Haha, it was a while ago, but I think it was a podcast and a blog, not the book.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,101Posts Today

5,348Users online

Martin's Twitter