Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,222Posts
    • 14,984Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
Page 63
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 10th Sep 17, 7:00 PM
    • 25,623 Posts
    • 103,751 Thanks
    candygirl
    I can't stop eating silverskin onions today
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 7,310 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I could cheat and put some lemon curd on a digestive
    Originally posted by Farway
    Don't forget to put the butter on the digestive and chill in the fridge to set before adding the lemon curd
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,245 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I could cheat and put some lemon curd on a digestive
    Originally posted by Farway
    I did that last week ... which is how come the jar's been opened

Cheesecake made and eaten.

https://s26.postimg.org/41h5bv2t5/Cheesecake.jpg

s57x05la2
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Sep 17, 8:21 AM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 60,996 Thanks
    kittie
    I need to get back to writing my food for the day onto a daily planner, I stopped doing that when I got so busy with `downsizing` stuff and I am still aiming to eat as much as possible from the freezer and have some cold toast and a goats cheese cube for later, to spread proteins. I ate spelt flakes and milk when I got up

Looks as though today will be a good freezer-use-up day,lunchtime will be, gravadlax, parsnips and the last of the peas, mixed berries and currants with ice cream. Later a meat something,small chop perhaps,with ratatouille. Sometime in the day a currant bun and snack will be lettuce leaves haha got no other way to use all this allotment lettuce but it is good calming stuff anyway

So far so good, I see a drawer getting emptier but am receiving a fish order on thursday, all well and good as it will all be quick to prepare. I am thinking I might prepack some in foil for the oven, before I freeze in zip lock bags
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Sep 17, 8:53 AM
    • 5,492 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Farway
    Originally posted by candygirl
    One of the many pluses about CFO

Breakfast was last two of YS sausage rolls, warmed through, dunked in brown sauce. Another of the CFO pluses

Off out in a bit on YS hunt, but busy shuffling furniture around to make way for a new chair. I think the old suite will be charity or tip if they do not want it
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 989 Posts
    • 5,094 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Lunch was a healthy one today. Big bowl of salad (veg. of various descriptions/avocado/fresh lemon juice squeezed on top) topped off with nutritional yeast (for "cheese" flavour) and some seeds toasted with a bit of soya sauce. Then bit of sprouted bread with fruit spread and finished with almond milk to drink (yep....being experimental with plant milks now).

Feels virtuous

EDIT; nearly forgot - also had some of my aubergine "bacon" with it.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Are you vegan too? I wish I ate as healthily as you do. I have tried to make that aubergine bacon before, but it went wrong somehow.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Sep 17, 9:03 AM
    • 989 Posts
    • 5,094 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I often cook for one. I'm married but as I'm vegan I often eat a different meal to my husband. He eats vegetarian food at home (well, mostly all the time now) but he hates vegetables! We are often on different schedules too as he works shifts and I usually go to bed fairly early and get up early so we don't always eat our meals at the same times. Probably sounds a bit weird but we have been together almost 25 years so it seems to work for us.

Originally posted by candygirl
    OMG, now I've read that I'm going to crave them...
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,984 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Hi Wednesday
    Nice looking pie Farway- I really enjoy pies with potato slices on the top, they never feel quite as stodgy as mash (much as I love mash)
    Weather is looking decidedly iffy but hopefully it will stay dry long enough to get some more garden tidying done!
    I enjoyed my takeaway with the family last night and my Dad took the LOs with him so I don't have to worry about using/freezing them which is great .
    Breakfast was the usually toast and lunch will be seafood sticks in a roll with salad. If I get my finger out and get some tomato sauce made ( I hate peeling tomatoes but don't like bits of skin in the sauce) tonight will be aubegine and courgette bake which I might have on it's own or as a side with some sausages.
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,245 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm still full from yesterday ... dunno what to eat today. Currently pondering three options:

- nuke a new dinner from yesterday's leftovers, so that'll be chicken, cabbage, swede and gravy. Maybe stuffing, or a few peas, or I might even mash up the last of the spuds ...

OR:

- bake a baguette and have a chicken/stuffing baguette...

OR:

- make the mash and create a chicken pie from the leftovers, topped with mash.

It could go any way

I think the pie's winning at the moment...get rid of those spuds AND some leftovers. Could have swede/mash topping.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 906 Posts
    • 7,310 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I'm making my way through the extra eggs that I managed to buy and had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast. Really fancied porridge though .

I had to go out earlier so called into the supermarket and got some y/s mushrooms and shallots, so I'm doing a beef in red wine casserole for dinner tonight. I had defrosted the stewing steak to use today but didn't know what I was going to do with it.

Not sure what I fancy for lunch. It may well end up as cheese on toast with some Worcestershire sauce on the top.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 13,426 Posts
    • 36,587 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Are you vegan too? I wish I ate as healthily as you do. I have tried to make that aubergine bacon before, but it went wrong somehow.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Sorta veering on it is how I would describe myself. I gather the term is "flexitarian"

I've had recipes go wrong on me before - cauliflower buffalo wings just didnt seem to work out somehow on me.

But that one was a case of mix up the various sauce ingredients, slice the aubergine as thinly as I possibly could, baste both sides of the aubergine slices and then bake in oven. Thankfully it worked out - the last couple of slices (yep....singleton "repeat" stuff again) are going to be part of dinner tonight.

Thinks - I might get some of that frozen fish I'm using up (not to waste the money I spent on it) outa that freezer as well.

Right now - lunch didnt happen - adrenaline still running from having to stand up for myself yet a'blimmin' again this morning and stop one person steam-rollering what they personally want past a group of us. Grrrrr! Steam coming out of ears. I don't "think" they will come back again for yet another another another go at getting what they personally want.... Fingers crossed - whew!

So - it's a two meals day today and I'll get on with a sorta combined lunch and dinner meal in a minute....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-09-2017 at 1:38 PM.
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 5,492 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Farway
    Blimey, it looks like Hurricane Irma has arrived here now, black as coal, hammering down and so windy a couple of large boughs broken on nearby tree

Lunch was new normal of ham salad sarnie

Dinner main ingredient is some meat loaf I made a month of so back and got fed up with looking at, so froze the remains. Now de frosting

It may be with salad but looking at the weather that could just become comforting chips & beans
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,245 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I realised I could do a quick easier lunch - and use up a lurking beef kebab portion ... so I had chips and that

Quicker/easier always wins.

The kebab needed to be eaten by tomorrow or frozen, so I saved it from that fate.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 13,426 Posts
    • 36,587 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well - just had sorta interim snack of the rest of that aubergine "bacon" and some of that T*sco "sorta-so-called" sourdough bread with nut butter on and a banana.

Thinking on re what dinner in a couple of hours will be....
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Sep 17, 6:38 PM
    • 5,492 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Farway
    That's dinner done. I fianlised on fried LO meatloaf, with beaten egg poured on, sort of omelette, chips & beans

The healthy bit was one of my apples & some cheese for pud
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,984 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

Weather is changing rapidly here too and it's been blowing a hooley since lunch time so no gardening done today though I did get my front windows washed this morning, they were manky and the final straw was a large seagull splatter which managed to get all three of my bay windows. Between that and having to unblock my loo (thanks Dad !!!) this morning ended up very domestic.

Aubergine bake has not been made as I under-estimated how long it would take to me skin 2kg+ of tomatoes then make sauce. I think anyway the sauce will be better having had a "think" overnight.

I've managed to stain my hands a most unattractive orange peeling 1kg of shallots which are now happily brining. My hands don't smell to grand either..... Still I do love a home-pickled shallot so hopefully it's worth it. Loads of broad beans and brambles also processed and frozen so a reasonably productive day

Dinner I think may well be breaded fish, chips and peas/runner beans . ETA - decided it was a night for food in a bowl so it's ragu from the freezer, grated cheese and pitta bread to dip!
    Last edited by caronc; 11-09-2017 at 8:22 PM.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 11th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 25,623 Posts
    • 103,751 Thanks
    candygirl
    Sounds like you've had a sh!!t day CARONC
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,245 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    My original plan was blown out of the window when I randomly spotted a couple of cheese/onion pasties reduced to 50p, I figured I'd give them a taste at 25p/meal. Welsh Pantry - not had those before. I like the occasional cheese/onion pasty, but they're nothing to write home about for the most part - but these appear passable.

Cooked one, froze one.

Also popped out as I ran out of buttery stuff for toast late last week, I've got some "for baking" spread which I've been using, but I'd prefer to just get a spreadable cheap tub of marg, so I went out for that and some fizzy pop .... also picked up a bar of turkish delight chocolate, a loaf of bread and some frozen chips

The chicken pie will therefore have to be tomorrow's plan.

I think Lidl have almost seen me off ... I've been priced out of Lidl

I couldn't believe my eyes! I had to go back and take a double check .... they actually had some funny little sachets with the box saying they were: Organic Chia Shots.

Now .. I've absolutely NO idea what that even is .... but the fact it had the word organic in the title ... and chia .... means they don't want the custom of "my sort", but are seeking the larger wallets of people who like their latest food and fads
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 11-09-2017 at 10:08 PM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 7,310 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I like the occasional cheese/onion pasty

fizzy pop .... also picked up a bar of turkish delight chocolate, a loaf of bread and some frozen chips

The chicken pie will therefore have to be tomorrow's plan.

I think Lidl have almost seen me off ... I've been priced out of Lidl
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I like a cheese and onion pasty every now and again as well. My sister in law always puts some out at Christmas/New Year as part of a sort of buffet tea.

Turkish delight is something that I only buy in the autumn/winter for some reason.

If you have been priced out of Lidl, I don't feel so bad that it's one supermarket that is just too far over the other side of the town for me to get to. I'm just pleased that Ican use Aldi now that I've got trolley to carry everything home in .

At least you have a plan for dinner tomorrow which is more than I have at the minute. I'm going to have a rummage in the freezer shortly and get something out to defrost overnight to turn into dinner tomorrow .
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 60,996 Thanks
    kittie
    I haven`t got a clue and this makes it a dangerous day, so I am going to have to take a few minutes and forward plan my meals for today, I sense a CBA wrt food day so I am going to sit at a table and write my meals on a daily planner. Starting with veggies that I need to use before they go floppy, oh yes I know, I will juice them

I am liking my fresh runner beans cooked in the same pan as spelt pasta, so that has to be a basis, maybe some parmesan chucked in and some chopped baby tomatoes. Ok that sounds like a tasty meal in a bowl. I had peanut butter on toast for breakfast. One more meal to think about and probably will be a soup with a tub of hm stock out of the freezer and some lentils for protein and goodness. Usual mixed berries and half a yoghurt at some stage and a currant bun for a treat. A few things out of the freezer so am not telling myself off, these meals will keep my energy up as I have jobs to do, like poxy window cleaning. I did some last night, in the dark but it was easier because the sun was not making them go streaky and I could see what I was doing by lamplight. That is the downside of a light bright home with many windows
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,540Posts Today

4,229Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin