Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,232Posts
    • 15,062Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
Page 61
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 15,062 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

Where are you thinking of moving to kittie?

I gave breakfast a miss as I wasn't hungry, no doubt due to over-eating yesterday.

Lunch will be a ham salad roll and probably a cupasoup as it's cold here today. I've no idea what to have for dinner yet!
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Sep 17, 10:53 AM
    • 59,970 Posts
    • 350,575 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... easy to spot these days thanks to PN
    Originally posted by kittie
    Which of my patented systems are you using?

1] Keep one drawer empty, once things are in it work hard to empty it again? This ensures you don't stockpile things that are clogging the system up - and ALWAYS have space for those unexpected purchases.
    2] Keep a drawer just for things that have been opened, so they're more easily used up as "opened so try hard to use this and not open another/similar one"? This ensures you don't end up with a freezer full of identical packets, all opened - and assists with knowing what you've got and makes choosing easier as you can head for the opened packets first, to free up space, rather than pawing through everything to see what's what.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 08-09-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    • 11,058 Posts
    • 61,118 Thanks
    kittie
    number 1 tip PN and its a good one
    Caronc, I have written on the prepping thread mainly because I am prepping for getting older, Need to be near a better bus service, shop, good village hall and for me, easy safe cycling country. Its taken a while to come to terms with severing the link with this lovely house but what I am going to do is right for me and will be my last, forever home. Not too far away either as in I will be keeping my allotment

Today I have been on track and all meals are from the freezer, apart from allotment salad to go with the small lamb chop and de-frosted cannelini beans, last meal

Now what, I am not tired, still feeling energetic, so will re-enter the garage and do more sorting
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 7,439 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone

As it is cold today I had porridge with some berries for breakfast this morning and have had a toasted cheese sandwich for lunch. I had intended for it to be a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich because I found a tomato sitting on top of the fridge/freezer this morning but forgot to use it. I'll have it with dinner tonight instead.

I will be having the last of the y/s ham that I bought yesterday with egg, chips and beans as planned. I'm quite looking forward to that .
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    • 5,508 Posts
    • 6,759 Thanks
    Farway
    Just catching up with latest postings. Seems we are starting to synchronise, ham ham & more ham. Without even knowing about the trend I bought two packs of Black Forest ham, on offer, from Lidl this morning. I like their one, just slices of cured pig meat, not "formed from"

My lunch was some of the ham in a salad sandwich, made a change from cheese and will no doubt figure in a few coming meals, including the egg & chips version as per HH

Nil breakfast, volunteer day and time is scarce

Into Lidl as mentioned, along with the offer ham also bought offer pointy cabbage, some of which which will be used tthis evening

The rain hammered down earlier, jsut the right weather for tonight's planned pie faced meal, one ready made mince & onion pie defrosting, with plenty of steamed fresh veg, and I will bung on some boiled spuds, I put them in the base of the steamer for convenience

This time I will deliberately cook extra spuds ready for sauteed ones another day, perhaps posh ham / egg / sauteed spuds?
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 8th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 25,681 Posts
    • 104,040 Thanks
    candygirl
    Hi guys 😁
    Well it's either egg n chips, or omelette n chips tonight, as i've eggs that need using up.I picked DD up from work yesterday, n we had chips n curry, nectar of the Gods , but I was soo full n bloated afterwards I don't cope well with greasy food nowadays
    PN will be happy to know, that my normal toast n crumpet service has resumed, as I picked a new toaster up yesterday
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 59,970 Posts
    • 350,575 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Went with the "use stuff up" route - I'd got the last of the mini sausages, so those with 2 scrambled eggs and some hash browns from the freezer. Splash of brown on that lot.

Pondered beans or tomatoes, but decided I didn't want to open a can knowing it'd generate food that needed to be used up

I had planned ... on making something with the lamb mince, but, yet again, CBA so didn't get round to it.

So many things that can be made, it puts you in a spin of indecision ... until you end up heading for "easiest right now".
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 15,062 Thanks
    caronc
    Caronc, I have written on the prepping thread mainly because I am prepping for getting older, Need to be near a better bus service, shop, good village hall and for me, easy safe cycling country. Its taken a while to come to terms with severing the link with this lovely house but what I am going to do is right for me and will be my last, forever home. Not too far away either as in I will be keeping my allotment
    That sounds sensible and great you can keep on your allotment

I will be having the last of the y/s ham that I bought yesterday with egg, chips and beans as planned. I'm quite looking forward to that .
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Now there's a meal I've not had in a long, long time - Enjoy

Lunch was as planned and being weak-willed a twix finger was had mid-afternoon . I've some chicken wings defrosting so will have these with jerk spice, HM wedges or a baked spud and a heap of runner beans
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 5,508 Posts
    • 6,759 Thanks
    Farway
    That's dinner over, used the very last of my own runners, all just a memory now until the runner bean chutney matures sometime around the time of the beardy bloke in red suit

Plus one crumpet with ginger marmalade

Maybe one of my fresh apples later?

Fruit & veg tally so far 7, if add apple that's 8 and a Gold star for effort
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 15,062 Thanks
    caronc
    That's dinner over, used the very last of my own runners, all just a memory now until the runner bean chutney matures sometime around the time of the beardy bloke in red suit

Plus one crumpet with ginger marmalade

Maybe one of my fresh apples later?

Fruit & veg tally so far 7, if add apple that's 8 and a Gold star for effort
    Originally posted by Farway
    I hope to get a few more pickings from my runners but doubt they'll be enough to freeze as I just love them so much I just have them as they are ready . Still I probably enjoy them so much because I don't have them all year round
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Sep 17, 5:52 AM
    • 11,058 Posts
    • 61,118 Thanks
    kittie
    decisions decisions, what to eat? haha

I have to concentrate on freezer food, every day but the upside is that I like it and it tends to be plain and simple, so is easy to cook. I think I am basically staying with meat/fish/beans and veg and nuts/cheese salads with an egg here and there at least 5 times a week. I am getting to use my spelt bread slices from the freezer and will plod on until it is all gone, ditto with my sugarless scones. I will keep making those until my frozen kefir is gone. Every day I am having apple in some form and mixed berries and blackcurrants, once the last meringue is gone, today, I will be having those with half a very creamy brown cow yoghurt. It makes for nice meals for me tbh, I like this sort of food and so does my tum, it keeps heartburn away and I sleep much better

Another great load for the tip today and for passing on to strangers, I packed the car yesterday
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    • 5,508 Posts
    • 6,759 Thanks
    Farway
    'Morning all

Just clocking in before I trot off on a YS mooch while the sun is out

Up early, porridge for breakfast, then with a bit of time spare I made the dough bit for short breads using Caronc recipe. That is now in the fridge chilling out
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 59,970 Posts
    • 350,575 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Breakfast didn't happen.

Early lunch is sweet chilli kebab meat in a bread roll, splash of sweet chilli sauce and half a tomato sliced up.

You'll see this again no doubt as there are three more portions of the meat to get through and I'd prefer to avoid freezing it.

Actually, having eaten that, I wish I'd doubled up on the meat really as it was tasty but "not enough" really. Some cheeky chips would've worked wonders too.

Maybe tea will be kebab meat and chips then

EDIT: Now that's preying on my mind! I bet I have kebab meat and chips for Late Lunch soon :P Although I just thought of rice.... might do kebab meat on a bed of basmati with a hot & sweet chilli sauce on top. That sounds good.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 09-09-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 13,456 Posts
    • 36,651 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Starting to think (well - a little bit) re food but lunch has just been wholemeal toast with nut butter on top and some leftover roasted tomatoes. Followed by a banana.

Discovered some frozen fish in freezer back from when I was having a pescatarian phase - and don't want to waste money - so I guess it's some of that with potatoes and kale tonight.
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 7,439 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone,

I seem to have bought more eggs than I usually do. I think I must have bought one box, forgotten and then bought another one. I should use them up though. In view of this I had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast.

I've just made myself a cheese and salad sanwich for my lunch. I don't seem to have a cheese mountain anymore which is good .

I'm another one trying to eat out of the freezer at the moment so defrosed a chicken breast joint to have a mini roast dinner with tonight. I also got a sausage out of the freezer to go with it, so that's two things from the freezer today .
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 7,439 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

EDIT: Now that's preying on my mind! I bet I have kebab meat and chips for Late Lunch soon :P Although I just thought of rice.... might do kebab meat on a bed of basmati with a hot & sweet chilli sauce on top. That sounds good.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    That sounds really nice and has made me fancy chilli. I'm going to get some mince out of the freezer in a minute to make chilli for dinner tomorrow .
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    • 59,970 Posts
    • 350,575 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Having eaten the entire bag of choccies I bought yesterday, I am contemplating going to buy another bag later.... well, it IS the weekend

I've about 6 hours to decide... bet I go though.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 5,508 Posts
    • 6,759 Thanks
    Farway
    Back from YS mooch, nothing special, except a YS pack of sausage rolls that I really should not have bought but just did anyway

Had a stab at the shortbread, the dough would not roll, just crumbling, so made shortblobs instead

They taste just fine, in fact excellent, but a bake off fail. I think that, like my porridge, it will be trial and effort, plus a few hundred zillion calories

Lunch was re run Black Forest ham salad sandwich, with plenty more where that came from

Dinner I just do not know. I keep vacillating between some frozen fish lurking in freezer, shades of MTSM, and salad of some sort. Unfortunately one does not go with the other in my book or problem would be solved

Plenty of time to muse and chomp some shortblobs with a cuppa
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 9th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 25,681 Posts
    • 104,040 Thanks
    candygirl
    number 1 tip PN and its a good one

Today I have been on track and all meals are from the freezer, apart from allotment salad to go with the small lamb chop and de-frosted cannelini beans, last meal

Now what, I am not tired, still feeling energetic, so will re-enter the garage and do more sorting
    KITTIE it's weird but your criteria for moving, is exactly the same as my DM's.She is downsizing into a 2 bed bungalow, in a lovely little village with all the facilities you described It was a total.shock for us at first, as she has lived in her house for 54 years , since she was first married to my late Dad
    Food wise for me today; cauli cheese with potato skins and green beans
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 59,970 Posts
    • 350,575 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    While out choc hunting (got the LAST bag in the shop!!!) ... it started raining and I went for a mooch round 4ldi and came out with a chicken breast joint, a cabbage, bag of carrots, swede. I'd have also bought Yorkies but they had NONE! So I bought milk and thought "I'll make my own s0ddin yorkshires then".

So ... who knows .... tomorrow it might be a roast dinner.

I've left the chicken breast in the fridge to defrost, so it's almost guaranteed that I'll have that just because I "have" to.

For those interested in cookware for one ... £land have a new range that includes a small quiche dish (with the wibbly wobbly edges), a small rectangular dish and a small round dish, in a light salmon pink (might be other colours).

My tip for those with newly acquired tiny ovens is: check out the rectangular one, looks like it might come in handy for when you cook stuff you want to keep separate ... it's on my "think about it, ponder if you really NEED it" list.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 09-09-2017 at 4:10 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,075Posts Today

8,567Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin