PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 August 2017 at 12:53PM
    This CFO is getting complicated. I seem to have a lot of food and not too much choice. I need to start looking at different ways and recipes to cook the things that I do have in the freezer without creating more leftovers to go in the freezer. I'm not sure this is going to be that easy :(.

I've had some scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast and I'm just about to have a tuna mayo sandwich for lunch. I am determined to eat my way through the tinned tuna moundtain however long it takes :).

I've got some chicken marinating in a tomato, sweet pepper and garlic marinade and I will grill that and have it with some new potatoes and salad for dinner, with a slice of cake and some Greek yoghurt for pudding.

I may well have a crumpet this evening if I'm still hungry.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2017 at 1:40PM
    Good afternoon all.

I have been busy doing my weekly clean through the house this morning and haven't yet eaten anything. I wasn't hungry until I read the thread and now I'm starving! Cheese and crackers is calling me as it's quick and tasty :) I did fancy cheese on toast but I cba waiting for the grill to heat up today. And yes I realise that had I been efficient and clever I'd have put the grill on first :rotfl:

I am very much looking forward to my tea tonight. It's what I call a rubbish tea bit will be yummy :) I made a red Thai chicken curry a while ago and got my two portions in the freezer for meals to come. I was left with a good portion of sauce so I froze that as well and have defrosted it to have with rice and chips tonight as a naughty treat :T

Meg Hope you feel better soon. Keep snuggled up in this bizarre August weather.

Money Hope it all comes to fruition for you and that you can at least buy a beer to celebrate:)

Caron How did you make your vegetable bake it sounds good.

Holly I get stuck in ruts sometimes and need to find new things to cook. Do you portion everything up before you freeze it so that you're not having to cook too much and create leftovers? You probably do lol it was just a thought.

PN How's the head today?
  • Hollyharvey
    SunnyGirl wrote: »

Holly I get stuck in ruts sometimes and need to find new things to cook. Do you portion everything up before you freeze it so that you're not having to cook too much and create leftovers? You probably do lol it was just a thought.

Yep. I freeze meat in 200g portions. That way it makes two or three meals and I can freeze it flat in freezer bags so it takes up less room in the freezer. I freeze left overs like that as well. I chose 200g portions as ideal for me, because it creates one to eat and then one or two for the freezer,
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    That's a good idea Holly. I freeze in amounts like single chicken breasts and I know that 750g of mince will make 8 meals when cooked with other stuff. I'll have to give it a whirl actually weighing things. I weigh my cheese which is one of the first things I learnt from this thread :D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Meg hope you improve, sounds rotten, but I find beef stew fixed a lot of things

Mixed weather, dull and sunny at times, if I had some a stew would be nice today

Breakfast was a few freshly picked cherry toms from the conservatory before trotting out on YS hunt, nothing really found except peaches 25p. They are the sort that never ripens, ever, just go wrinkly & manky, so will fit in well here :D

I fancied something warming for lunch, and cheese overdose lately I think. So had a mushroom omelette, with another fresh tom, followed by my last banana

Dinner is fish cakes, as part of my clear the fishy surplus from the freezer campaign. I think with frozen chips and probably baked beans for convenience
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    So far today I've had coffee, water, watermelon and pineapple.

For a snack I'll have hummus with cucumber and carrot.
    For lunch I'll have rice noodles with miso soup (peas and sweetcorn in this)
    I'll have the vegan lasagne/pasta bake thing I made for dinner tonight. I've made up a fifth of a packet of vegetarian strawberry jelly in a mug with a portion of mixed fruit in it; it's setting in the fridge now. Works out to be 50p by my calculations. Not bad for an afters.
    Mint tea, green tea and aloe juice will be my other drinks today.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 August 2017 at 6:14PM
    This CFO is getting complicated. I seem to have a lot of food and not too much choice. I need to start looking at different ways and recipes to cook the things that I do have in the freezer without creating more leftovers to go in the freezer. I'm not sure this is going to be that easy
    That's the way it goes :) I'm the same right now.

As a CFO you end up limiting your range, so you have as little food as possible in the house that you don't fancy :)

I've just been for a shuffle round 4ldi. 2 tins of spuds, brown sauce and some handwash was my total haul. So stocking up ...
    NOTHING I fancied in there. Every time I look they seem to be going more and more up market - and I notice there are fewer and fewer "cheap dinners" to be spotted.

4ldi used to be a good value shop ... then the middle classes moved in on it and it became "trendy" and now they're chasing their money instead of paupers' money :(

I even spotted something that looked like/said Eton mess - in a plastic carton. That'll have nudged something cheaper off the shelves.

So, with no tea to speak of still .... I went into £land and got a bag of my favourite choccies.

Still no idea what's for tea... maybe I'll think of something in the next 1-3 hours.
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    PN How's the head today?

It's fixed. I'm very robust - you have to be when it's just you ... and nobody gives a stuff if you're well/not and you have to do everything for yourself :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    NOTHING I fancied in there. Every time I look they seem to be going more and more up market - and I notice there are fewer and fewer "cheap dinners" to be spotted.

4ldi used to be a good value shop ... then the middle classes moved in on it and it became "trendy" and now they're chasing their money instead of paupers' money :(

I even spotted something that looked like/said Eton mess - in a plastic carton. That'll have nudged something cheaper off the shelves.

Same is happening at Lidl, more posh stuff, and seems dearer now tan it was, still good value for some items though. And the YS reductions are 30% right away, not knock 10p off and see if anyone bites

Dinner finished up with just the fishcakes, once I opened them they were huge [Lidl] and chips / beans would certainly have been waay too much. Filled me up. I think a larger than usual lunch nudged the less for dinner

Should I feel a bit peckish later then the stewed apple is in the fridge
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Farway wrote: »
    .... fishcakes...
    Fishcakes!!

THAT's what my life needs. I'd bought/eaten fishcakes about 4-5 months ago and loved them and had intended on buying more, but had completely forgotten/not got round to it.

Last lot I bought was an Iceland £1 1Kg bag of ~10-12 of them ....I'd meant to see if L1dl/4ldi did the same ... or what Sainsbobs did... but then I moved onto burgers and "got stuck". :)

I need to write a list to buy next time I go out: fishcakes, fish fingers, burgers .... all healthy stuff :)
  • Hollyharvey

I need to write a list to buy next time I go out: fishcakes, fish fingers, burgers .... all healthy stuff :)
    Provided it's food that you like and want to eat that's all that matters, says I as I tuck into a second slice of cake :).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure