Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 3,428Posts
    • 22,670Thanks
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

GC - Jan18 £55/£120, Feb18 £68/£120, Mar £104/£150
    GC YTD - £227/£390
Page 228
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jan 18, 6:53 AM
    • 15,099 Posts
    • 42,014 Thanks
    Fingers crossed for our thread not "going missing" - accidentally deleted. Today is the day caron said she'd do a Mark 3 version of it.

A couple more longstanding threads have vanished inexplicably.

My take on it being that "threads going missing" seems to coincide with when spammer attacks are being rather frequent - and I switch on of a morning and think "A spammer has been at it again". I wouldnt be surprised if MSE "ramp up the volume" re whatever-it-is-they-do to deal with the spammers when they're being pretty bad and "catch innocent threads" sometimes in the process and then MSE have to "ramp down the volume" a bit and then another spammer attacks and so we go on....

Fingers crossed we don't have this happen accidentally...

They must deal with these spammers pretty quickly - as I know I can't resist the temptation sometimes if I spot the spam is in a foreign language (as is often the case) to put up a post in case the spammer spots it saying words to effect of "This is a British website - wrong language - we speak English in this country". LOL.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 13-01-2018 at 6:57 AM.
    Never give up on a dream...
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 13th Jan 18, 8:31 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    Re going out - if there are inconsiderate germy b4st4rds on the loose... slide a pack of antibacterial/similar wet wipes in your bag and keep wiping your hands every time you touch something "the great grubby public" might have touched

Doors/handles, baskets/trolleys ... change from the till.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I keep a pack in the car and during the winter months keep my gloves on when doing my shopping - then annoyingly when I went to the self serve checkout the darn screen wouldn't respond to touching with the gloved finger and had to take my glove off, all my good efforts undone
    Keep Moving = 172. 55mls/1000mls @ week 10

GC = £40.88/£60.00
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:43 AM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 22,670 Thanks
    Happy CFO Anniversary
    Good morning everyone,
    Hard to believe it's a year since I started CFO.
    With another thread being zapped definitely time to put this one "to bed" and start of a nice new thread. Will get one sorted out this morning
    GC YTD - £227/£390
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 22,670 Thanks
    New CFO thread
    ****** Link to new Cooking for One thread *********
    GC YTD - £227/£390
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Jan 18, 8:55 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 11,557 Thanks
    I can't stand this time of year, I just want the daylight back! I usually perk up in April.

I just had a toasted bagel with marg and Marmite and half the mini veggie pizza I made for dinner yesterday.

I think lunch with be HM soup as I have spuds, carrots, onions and broccoli in the veg drawer in the fridge.

I think I will make pizza again tonight as I have 2 mini pizza bases left.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 16/60
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 22,670 Thanks
    ****** Link to new Cooking for One thread *********

Please post on the new thread - I've asked admin to close this one. Thanks
    GC YTD - £227/£390
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,010Posts Today

7,853Users online

Martin's Twitter