Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,839Posts
    • 19,424Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

GC - Jan £39/£120
Page 227
    • spirit
    • By spirit 12th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 6,010 Thanks
    spirit
    That's what's the cause of this, a meltdown lasting so far nearly 2 weeks to "get over it". As you understand .... life's "difficult" ... but I do "plug on" as they say.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Re my son, from a very young age it was apparent he was different, in as much as at age 3 he had an interest in nature/insects etc. In fact if you watched the programme recently about Chris Packham, I noticed a lot of similarities in behaviour. DS was fine at school but wasn't one of these people who had lots of friends, the same is true now.

He decided himself that he too wanted a formal diagnosis. He had a form to fill out, then a consultation and now a letter from the NHS confirming the diagnosis.

He told me that it was because he wanted to know he wasn't being a 'common or garden a*hole'. He likes labels he said. He posted the result on Fb the other day, which I wouldn't have done, anyway, one of his friends commented to not use the label to become a common or garden a*hole.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • elona
    • By elona 12th Jan 18, 12:15 PM
    • 10,996 Posts
    • 61,790 Thanks
    elona
    I had cereal and banana for breakfast and might just have soup or an omelette for lunch.

Youngest dd and bf are driving over to stay for the weekend as it is her birthday today. We are all getting together for a restaurant meal tonight and I am not sure how many are staying overnight so got all the beds made up just in case.

I am planning a lasagne for tomorrow night and roast beef etc for Sunday lunch so need to go shopping later.

Pastures

I used to be all right till mid January and then get really fed up and low as it felt as if winter would never end and then cheer up in March with bluer skies etc. Hope you feel better soon.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 12th Jan 18, 12:33 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 1,098 Thanks
    BucksLady
    PN, what I would say is that GP's have a very poor understanding of ASD conditions - what I would call a ''textbook understanding''. A lack of understanding in turn can mean a lack of empathy/sympathy. I hope this isn't the case for you, but if it is, you may have to stand your ground and make sure he moves things in the direction you want to go . My husband is a GP and a comment he made summed things up. He said that until you actually live with the condition, you can't possibly understand what it's all about. My sister comes to stay at times to give my mum and dad a break and this has lead to a deep understanding of what people affected by these conditions have to endure - also those who live with them
    My sister received a diagnosis as a child and apart from having AS, she has multiple conditions and unable to lead an independent life. She has amazing mathematical skills and can calculate quicker than you would be able to find the numbers on a calculator. She remembers the exact date on which any appliance in the house has broken down and the date a replacement was purchased. She is a published composer, but has never been taught composition. Anything learnt has been picked up during ''my lessons'' in the past, although none of us realised she was paying attention at the time. She is so amazing in many ways, but in ''the normal'' world she is quite unable to function. Removing a wrapper from a penguin biscuit - impossible. Pouring orange squash into a cup - impossible because her depth perception is so poor and it goes everywhere other than in the container. That doesn't means she doesn't try to master difficult tasks, but so far the results have been poor. Social communication is exceedingly difficult and she has to be encouraged to interact with other people. She doesn't understand their body langauge and others fail to understand hers. Everything is taken literally and her ''honesty'' has caused much upset. So many problems, but sharing time with her is very special.
    PN, you aren't alone and my wish for you is that you will receive a diagnosis which in turn will open new doors. Your determination shines through and I'm sure this is a battle you will win xx
    Last edited by BucksLady; 12-01-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 12th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 6,010 Thanks
    spirit
    ^^

love this post Buckslady, you could almost be writing about DS. He is a senior web developer now, anything to do with facts/numbers he's good at.

Other day to day tasks/thinking is another story.

PN I applaud you for speaking about it and really hope you get to see your GP soon.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 12th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 6,010 Thanks
    spirit
    Don't quote, will delete.

PN, take heart that people don't hate you, if there is any positive news it's that now, such things are far more common than many people realise and so knowledge and understanding is getting better, although not perfect as yet.

As for the food, it's nothing of anyone else's business what you choose to eat or not.

(says spirit standing by holding your hand in a virtual way since I know you are not keen on other sorts)
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 5,848 Posts
    • 8,463 Thanks
    Farway
    In an effort to do "a little more than nothing", yesterday I grabbed a pack of frozen beef cubes from the freezer and popped that into a dish to defrost. They're one of the packs of L1dl special offers about a month ago.

So ... that's beef. So I am now making Lobbin Beef Stew.

That's: What've you got that could be lobbed in?

Grabbed the slow cooker out and lobbed in 4 smallish sprouting spuds (bought end Nov), final 2 dying Xmas carrots, last onion (bought end of September). In went the beef, quick splash of this and that .... and it's now on.

I might do dumplings with my Lobbin Stew later
    Ahh, that sounds like a plan, I also have the Lild beef in the freezer, same offer I think, plus sprouting spuds, dying carrots and splash of this n that, may even have long time frozen HG cherry toms from summer 2016. If only my appetite would return

I have booked into doc's for Monday, but the local rag gave out flu symptoms and I may just have that, but no fever or really knackered to speak of, maybe it is my superb athletic physique combined with a healthy lifestyle that is helping fight what would fell another person?

Last night's dinner fail, lack of appetite plus CBA, I just had toast spread with cream cheese and some buttered crackers later

Dull day, now turned to mizzle
    No breakfast
    Cheese salady sarnie for lunch
    Very likely baked spud with cheese / beans filling for dinner
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jan 18, 3:21 PM
    • 61,315 Posts
    • 358,968 Thanks
    PasturesNew

.... the local rag gave out flu symptoms and I may just have that, but no fever or really knackered to speak of, maybe it is my superb athletic physique combined with a healthy lifestyle that is helping fight what would fell another person?
    Originally posted by Farway
    There was a Dr on the news this morning saying she's had people in the surgery angry at her for not giving them anything. Expecting a prescription for it.

She's said they expect anti-biotics or something, but there really is nothing she can give them that'll make any difference or "cure" the flu. They just have to go to bed and wait for the body to fight it off.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Jan 18, 3:42 PM
    • 2,839 Posts
    • 19,424 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon,
    PN - I completely get living your life with "work arounds", I'm the same but for different reasons, yes they help make life more liveable but they don't solve the underlying issue. I'm "lucky" in that I have a diagnosis (well two to be accurate) many, many people with vestibular problems cannot get one as there is still a huge lack of understanding in actual causes etc. Medics are in the main less concerned about "labels" for these conditions as for most treatment routes are the same but it is helpful for people in wider society if what is wrong has a "name". I found it especially useful when I was working as our Occupational Health/HR seemed to struggle with "balance problems and vertigo" as it was initially so it was helpful when I could say it's X, it stopped the "but what is it that is wrong with you?" questions. Even now they will only be 100% certain when I'm dead as Meniere's can only confirmed post-mortem.

I managed my errands but was wiped out afterwards so lunch was a quick toast, scrambled eggs, tomato and mushrooms. Must now get organised and have a quick tidy up and prep for tonight's meal.
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 5,848 Posts
    • 8,463 Thanks
    Farway
    There was a Dr on the news this morning saying she's had people in the surgery angry at her for not giving them anything. Expecting a prescription for it.

She's said they expect anti-biotics or something, but there really is nothing she can give them that'll make any difference or "cure" the flu. They just have to go to bed and wait for the body to fight it off.
    Thanks PN, TBH I had booked the docs before I read the rag, and because I do not feel fluey, plus had the jab. I had assumed I had some sort of throat or stomach problem. If it is flu I don't expect a magic fix, but would like a diagnosis because I volunteer at Age Concern and if it is flu I should really not there spreading it about

Back to food, spud is in the oven, a nice red skinned King Edward, ex YS W/r post Christmas haul. Beans opened and in a pan all ready so no excuse for CBA later

Just had one of my little pots of HM yoghurt, and this time stirred in a teaspoonful of honey, superb. That will be my grab from fridge choice for a bit.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 10,340 Posts
    • 26,409 Thanks
    suki1964
    PN, I don't hate you, I admire you very much and have great respect for you

I don't need you to be diagnosed , I need you the way you are, telling it how it is

Remember I said I'd come and share a bag of chips , sitting on the floor with a plastic fork sharing a cider? I still would any day of the week. You are one of the most interesting intelligent women I know and whilst we have never met in real life and the chances of that happening are very slim, I think of you as a friend
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 61,315 Posts
    • 358,968 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I cooked the stew.
    I added a dumpling.
    I made boiled spuds.
    I ate.

And it was so nice I've just been back and had another helping of stew/spuds

Not much left to go into the fridge now.... so that'll be tomorrow's food.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 12th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 4,993 Posts
    • 45,621 Thanks
    meg72
    PN, I don't hate you, I admire you very much and have great respect for you

I don't need you to be diagnosed , I need you the way you are, telling it how it is

Remember I said I'd come and share a bag of chips , sitting on the floor with a plastic fork sharing a cider? I still would any day of the week. You are one of the most interesting intelligent women I know and whilst we have never met in real life and the chances of that happening are very slim, I think of you as a friend
    Originally posted by suki1964
    I think you can learn a lot about a person from the thngs they post. I often think I really like someone and would actually like to meet them.

PN you are definetly one of those I would like to meet I like the way you are quick to offer advice and helpto others and I love love your sense of humour.
    Slimming World at target
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 12th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Hello all

Just had a weird thing happen, tried to thank posters on the previous page, and kept getting a message saying I don't have access....?

Anyway, apologies for those I can't thank, and thank you for the snippets of info I am getting!

Breakfast: same.
    Lunch: jacket spud and baked beans as I CBA to try fancy recipe. Yogurt. Who cares if I get a bit windy. The dog doesn't!
    Tea: probably white fish and frozen veg, meringue with fruit/yogurt.

Hoping this message actually posts....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jan 18, 5:51 PM
    • 14,574 Posts
    • 40,129 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Farway - fingers crossed it's not flu and that's very well-mannered/considerate of you not to go to your volunteering work if it does turn out to be. More's the pity not everyone takes that view.

I've not got it and am carrying on with Life as normal and keeping fingers crossed not to come across anyone with it. Am certainly noticing there is an obvious difference between those who don't care if they pass it on and those that are trying not to do so. Come across one person sniffing (fingers crossed it was just a cold) and one who has just had it and isnt really very aware/concerned whether they've still got it - but they were both "out and about".

On the other hand - know of one fellow volunteer at the thing I volunteer at who isnt turning up to do their bit until they are absolutely sure they're clear of it and can't pass it on to anyone else on the other hand So they've not turned up to "do their bit" for a couple of weeks now - but that's accepted as "the right thing to do" - and I've pointed out that if it takes them 5/6 weeks to be sure they're clear of it then that's what it takes.

The division between those that have manners/aka consideration and those that don't give a **** is quite clear when there's something like this going around.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-01-2018 at 5:56 PM.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Jan 18, 6:50 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 11,386 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Hello all

Just had a weird thing happen, tried to thank posters on the previous page, and kept getting a message saying I don't have access....?

Originally posted by Irenadler
    This has been happening to me all day. It also keeps kicking me off threads I am reading, and when I clicked on this thread earlier it said the same thing. Nice to know I'm not the only one.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 11,386 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Farway - fingers crossed it's not flu and that's very well-mannered/considerate of you not to go to your volunteering work if it does turn out to be. More's the pity not everyone takes that view.

I've not got it and am carrying on with Life as normal and keeping fingers crossed not to come across anyone with it. Am certainly noticing there is an obvious difference between those who don't care if they pass it on and those that are trying not to do so. Come across one person sniffing (fingers crossed it was just a cold) and one who has just had it and isnt really very aware/concerned whether they've still got it - but they were both "out and about".

On the other hand - know of one fellow volunteer at the thing I volunteer at who isnt turning up to do their bit until they are absolutely sure they're clear of it and can't pass it on to anyone else on the other hand So they've not turned up to "do their bit" for a couple of weeks now - but that's accepted as "the right thing to do" - and I've pointed out that if it takes them 5/6 weeks to be sure they're clear of it then that's what it takes.

The division between those that have manners/aka consideration and those that don't give a **** is quite clear when there's something like this going around.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I so agree with this post Money. I just wish people would stay at home rather than pass it around unless it is vital that they go out.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 14,574 Posts
    • 40,129 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I can't think of any circumstances that "vital" actually - though I do sympathise if someone is still earning an income and it's obviously a sight easier for a retired person to stay home & do so. Even so - it is just selfish to go out if one has it basically.

Keeping fingers crossed that I won't land up having my first encounter with Tesco online shopping - rather than going out and physically doing it myself. But if it came to a "needs must" situation - then, as a single (as we know - there is no-one else to do it for us) then I'd have to figure it out.

Thank goodness for things like central heating/the Internet/tv/automatic washing machines - all of which make things so much more "possible" if it comes to it these days.

• Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Jan 18, 7:10 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 11,386 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Hello all

Hoping this message actually posts....
    Originally posted by Irenadler
    I don't know if it is related to our problems with the site today or not, but another thread has disappeared this evening same as the one earlier in the week.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    • 61,315 Posts
    • 358,968 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Re going out - if there are inconsiderate germy b4st4rds on the loose... slide a pack of antibacterial/similar wet wipes in your bag and keep wiping your hands every time you touch something "the great grubby public" might have touched

Doors/handles, baskets/trolleys ... change from the till.

I always, in any case, wash my hands after going in supermarkets and before unpacking shopping .... since I read somebody post once about rats in warehouses running over packed tins/goods.... even if it's sealed you can't guarantee what's touched it on the outside. It's hard to know when to stop, but I don't wipe all the packs/tins down (yet).

I also never buy "goods that are air-exposed" such as breads/rolls in bakery aisles. God knows who has ever touched/dropped them or coughed on them.

I don't see any of that as ASD, just "regular person a bit over-zealous with one aspect of shops and the public".
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 14,574 Posts
    • 40,129 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I remember you saying about the breads etc sitting there loose in the supermarket Pastures - and making a mental note not to buy them in case.

I do buy bread sometimes from a "real" bakery - but I know their breads get put straight by them into paper bags and it's "not the thing" for anyone to try touching them beforehand whilst they sit there cooling.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

264Posts Today

2,570Users online

Martin's Twitter