Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,839Posts
    • 19,419Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

GC - Jan £39/£120
Page 226
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    • 2,839 Posts
    • 19,419 Thanks
    caronc
    Caron, I hope you feel a little better today and everyone else who is poorly. I woke up feeling more tired than I went to bed - must have been yesterday's excitement lol

I'm still in the mood for 'clearing out'. I've decided to market my house on my return from USA and so am determined to sort things. My brother thinks I should wait for a while, but I know I can't stay here. The house is far too big - ok for when my wife's extended family would visit - but realistically I can't see that happening as much in the future. I'm also going to relocate - prices where I am are daft and there's nothing here to persuade me to stay. The question is 'where' will I go? lol. Have to say that I rather fancy North Devon - it will be an adventure

Kittie, I do fancy a slice of that apple cake - warm out of the oven with lots of custard. We have a bramley tree in the garden which always produces a lot of fruit. My wife used to make some delicious cakes and puddings with them There is just no comparison between home made and shop cakes/puddings

I had better make tracks
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    A chap in my village relocated less than a year after his wife died after cancer. He was ready to move psychologically, daughters independent. He gave up on the house, lovely old semi with a large s facing garden and you could tell by the photos that he had lost heart. He needed a new start, badly, so he sold up, a new family got a bargain doer upper and he went. I am ready too, this house is perfect in many ways, the location is not but more than that, I need somewhere I have chosen for me, a new adventure

Pastures, I hope you are on the mend, we miss your postings

Mary Berry apple cake is in the oven, rather like an eves pudding with a cake base and a lb of apples in the middle. Easy to make and worth it tbh. Think I will take my neighbour two pieces. It is icy here too, the sun is out now but I saw a neighbour test the path gingerly, then she went back in. It is going to be an indoor day but I love the sun in here and that makes the potential for a modern insulated conservatory all the more important in my new home. . Plot direction is important, my house is s facing but I have 2 verandahs/overhangs, solar shading, I don`t think I would like pure south, I don`t like it too hot. SW is good but W/E will do nicely as long as I could build a conservatory to capture the warmth on a day like today
    Originally posted by kittie
    Thanks APJI, the lurgy is still lurking but no more chills so fingers crossed.

Re moving after losing your spouse, my Dad moved 9 months after my Mum died and tbh it was the best thing he could have done. He was only 59 when she died so still a young man. They had lived in what had been my Grand parents house and he said he found the memories overwhelming. He didn't down-size as such in fact his flat is probably much bigger but much more modern and better suited to his needs. He did keep a few things from the house but mainly started afresh, it was the making of him as I think he would have shrunk into himself had he stayed. So good luck with your relocations.

Kittie, my garden faces completely South and I love it - works well in the colder North. Yes the conservatory can get a bit warm in the Summer but it's such a short season I love it. A lot of our storms come from the West here so it breaks the weather a bit.
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Jan 18, 2:41 PM
    • 14,632 Posts
    • 40,124 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Lunch was a "quick grab" as I was expecting a tradesperson along about a bit of work here. In the event - they've phoned to say they will be a bit late. But, by then, I'd grabbed banana, toast, milk to drink.

Caron - dinner sounds good. Errm...I've not thought yet what to have again....

Apji - I've done the move elsewhere in the country thing. It was on retirement in my case and was quite a move from a Southern English city right across the country to West Wales. Some of it was certainly a "crash course" in the event - one could re-phrase as a "learning experience". But I'm guessing you're not having such a drastic change of environment. Fingers crossed for that. You do know that they also say men tend to pick women like their mother don't you?I'm very much inclined to believe that - as the guy I went out with by far the longest has a mother with quite a bit in common with me and her and I are still good friends to this day
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 11,365 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

I finally remembered to get some bramley apples yesterday so will stew some to have along with porridge or yoghurt for my breakfast the rest of this week.
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    You mentioning that you had apples with porridge has got me into that now instead of berries with my porridge, and I have to say that I am really enjoying it with some cinnamon. I have a small pot of single cream and had some of that with it this morning as well, it was lovely . I'm glad you mentioned this .
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 11,365 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Hello everyone,

I haven't been about much because of a combination of this cold and then my computer crashing while trying to install a Windows update. It had to go into computer intensive care .

Anyhow, I've got it back and feel a little better today, so hopefully the cold is on its way out.

I had porridge for breakfast, with stewed apples and cinnamon and a little bit of single cream.

I've just had a masala chicken breast with mashed potatoes and peas for dinner/lunch. Followed by a Mocha Cheescake. The cheesecakes were bought for Christmas, but as I didn't get a chance to eat them I froze them. I would certainly buy them again.

I have made a loaf of soda bread and that is in the oven at the moment, so I will have that with some cheese this evening.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 11,365 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

I have made a loaf of soda bread and that is in the oven at the moment, so I will have that with some cheese this evening.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    That went well Not! Just as I finished typing this post there was a smell of burning. The loaf had risen really well and the top was caught on the top element of the oven.

I have a double oven electric cooker and don't usually use the top oven for baking because of this, and because I find I get better results with the fan oven, but I had used it to cook the chicken and wasn't going to waste money turning the fan oven on.

It will be ok, I'll just slice the burnt bit on the top off when it is cooled. At the minute it is wrapped in two tea towels while it cools, because I like a soft crust on soda bread. The end slice I had for quality control purposes was fine though .
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jan 18, 3:47 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 11,365 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Belated Happy Birthday Money , it's one of the things I missed. I hope that you had a good day, I see that you went out for lunch, always a good start .
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 14,632 Posts
    • 40,124 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Farway - sent you a PM. There's a positive update to what's been going on here electrically - well I "think" it's positive and am crossing fingers hard I'm not going to be told "loadsa bad news" about how my house is here in that respect.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 11th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 4,647 Posts
    • 46,080 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Hello everyone,

I haven't been about much because of a combination of this cold and then my computer crashing while trying to install a Windows update. It had to go into computer intensive care .

Anyhow, I've got it back and feel a little better today, so hopefully the cold is on its way out.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    My son's did that. I suspect many, many others did too, Expletive Microsoft.
    It's too old for repair, really, a very early Windows 7, so he will now be in line for this laptop when I upgrade. The update on my laptop took hours, and I had important 'stuff' to do online, needless to say. Luckily the upgrade finished in time for me to do what I needed to do.
    I had plans for this laptop, but never mind, his need will be greater than mine.

I had a lovely 'picky' brunch of Danish toast, with pickled mussels. I fancied tapenade, but didn't have any olives. Then I saw a jar of pesto, and wondered...
    I can report that green pesto with proper basil makes a great savoury spread on hot toast.
    Who knew?

Not sure about tea. Perhaps more picky stuff. I missed out on a lot of picky over Christmas and New Year as I wasn't well.
    Last edited by mcculloch29; 11-01-2018 at 4:19 PM.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 5,848 Posts
    • 8,461 Thanks
    Farway
    Thanks for PM Money, and it is a decent result and not a fob off. Fingers crossed here

Out and about today, top up big shopping CFO style. Boring stuff I was running low on, kitchen rolls, baked beans, cheese, plus odds & ends, nothing exciting. I did manage to find the W/r chunky fish fingers, expensive but I like the ethics of them. To give you an idea I could get 30 in Lild for less than paid for the W/r ones [£3.25 but 0.65 knocked off using my W/r card]. Never had them before so I hope they are all I expcect them to be. Not keen on the Lild ones as it happens

I did find baking spuds in A5da, on offer, 50p, so a 4 pack of them as a handy standby. Plus I topped up on soups, again offer in A5da, 5 tins for £3.

Lunch was cheese salad sarnie
    one pot of my HM yoghurt as mid afternoon snack, it is very nice, I may try next pot with a spoon of honey stirred in
    Dinner, I think it will be one of the tins of soup, with a couple of slices of Wm bread. I think like PN I am off my food, probably as well given the calories I have scoffed over the holidays

PS computer updates, I saw a bit elsewhere, advice was leave it until it is sorted, which is waht I'm doing. I'm W7 and do not have a fall back computer should it go belly up. I have backed everything up but that will not solve the utter inconvenience
    Last edited by Farway; 11-01-2018 at 4:54 PM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 11,365 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

PS computer updates, I saw a bit elsewhere, advice was leave it until it is sorted, which is waht I'm doing. I'm W7 and do not have a fall back computer should it go belly up. I have backed everything up but that will not solve the utter inconvenience
    Originally posted by Farway
    Yes, I came unstuck. I have been running Windows 10 on this PC since it came out and it has always updated without any problems. This time it had been trying to update for a number of weeks now, but it kept saying that this 'update would take longer than usual', so I kept clicking "remind me in three days", the longest time option, then about 10 days ago it started saying only giving me the option to upgrade immediately or saying "remind me tomorrow", and I had clicked that for 7 to 10 days, then it must have got fed up Tuesday morning and just did the upgrade without asking me. To say that I'm annoyed is an understatement. I wish there was some way of getting the cost of the repair back. It's not as if it was my fault .
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 2,839 Posts
    • 19,419 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Commiserations on the computer Holly, Windows 10 killed my last PC (though it was pretty ancient anyway). I've stuck to Windows 8 on my laptop. Glad the cold seems to be on the retreat.

The weather perked up a bit though the fog has returned now, took the chance to "air my wheels" though it was still a bit icy at times if you hit a shady spot. Definitely milder than it has been though.

I'm delighted after all the last minute panic to get the application in my elder son got through the promotion sift and has interview. So it's fingers crossed and even he doesn't get through it will be good experience for the future.

Lunch was a crusty roll with egg, salad and the end of a jar of gherkins (my favourites - Polish ones). Thankfully I've another jar in the cupboard as I do like them when I've no home grown ones. Dinner will be the halloumi bake as planned though I've still got the veg to chop they won't take long.
    Apart from my short stroll and wrestling with ironing the "Christmas" tablecloths I've had a fairly lazy day, the lingering lurgy has definitely depleted my oomph though thankfully it's not (so far) knocked my balance off.
    Last edited by caronc; 11-01-2018 at 7:11 PM.
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • meg72
    • By meg72 11th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 4,993 Posts
    • 45,621 Thanks
    meg72
    Good evening everyone,
    Commiserations on the computer Holly, Windows 10 killed my last PC (though it was pretty ancient anyway). I've stuck to Windows 8 on my laptop. Glad the cold seems to be on the retreat.

The weather perked up a bit though the fog has returned now, took the chance to "air my wheels" though it was still a bit icy at times if you hit a shady spot. Definitely milder than it has been though.

I'm delighted after all the last minute panic to get the application in my elder son got through the promotion sift and has interview. So it's fingers crossed and even he doesn't get through it will be good experience for the future.

Lunch was a crusty roll with egg, salad and the end of a jar of gherkins (my favourites - Polish ones). Thankfully I've another jar in the cupboard as I do like them when I've no home grown ones. Dinner will be the halloumi bake as planned though I've still got the veg to chop they won't take long.
    Apart from my short stroll and wrestling with ironing the "Christmas" tablecloths I've had a fairly lazy day, the lingering lurgy has definitely depleted my oomph though thankfully it's not (so far) knocked my balance off.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I so hate these updates though thankfully didn't get crashed this time. Why do they do it? Ive never noticed theres any improvement
    or difference afterwards. I am truly in the if its not broke don't fix it camp and wish to hell they would leave well alone..

This lurgy is absolutely the worse I have ever experienced. Into my 5th week now and still feeling under par, the slightest exertion leaves me breathless and drained.

Was sorting out stuff to declutter to the charity shop and found an old Asda card in a handbag. Thought I would take a little walk down to spend it on smart price stuff before it goes up again. Was very pleased to find it had £6 on it. Was even more pleased to find some great reductions as it wasn't the normal time they do them.
    Result got £37 worth of meat for £16 so less my lucky find of the card I only had to pay £10. I got enough meat for the next 2 months or so. Downside being I had a real fight to rearrange freezer and fit it all in and am now quite exhausted and need a lie down.
    Edited to say typed this at 4.15. just woke up and realised didn't click post reply.
    Last edited by meg72; 11-01-2018 at 8:55 PM. Reason: didnt post
    Slimming World at target
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    • 11,607 Posts
    • 67,080 Thanks
    kittie
    my perfectly good laptop did an auto windows 7 update. It completely wiped the laptop out and caused me a lot of stress, thinking I had lost my financial crutch ie m/s money and the whole of my e mail address book plus some important e mails. I eventually got into it again but quickly and permanently dislocated it from wireless internet and took everything else off it bar m/s money and the ability to play cds and dvds. I ended up buying a windows 10 laptop, which now I am familiar, is much more stable but that windows update was unbelieveably stress -making plus it also cost me a lot of money

So that veg box appeared outside my door, I was alerted by a neighbour. The veg look very nice and fortunately most will last a couple of weeks, like sweet potatoes, carrots and celeriac but they did not tell me it would be a day late, ok I give them the benefit of the doubt and will have one more go in two weeks

In the meantime I am making a concerted effort to eat out of the freezer and stores and btw that hm pizza was the ultimate enjoyable lunch. All I did was to make a batch of pizza dough in the bm, divide, wrap and freeze in portions for one. When de-frosted I just spread it out and put the toppings on

Breakfast will be completely different ie leek quiche followed in an hour or so by berries blitzed with soya milk. I have taken the berries out and they are ready in the mini blender, in the fridge. Lunch will be a lamb burger, also defrosting slowly and several veggies. Last meal must be a ratatouille with some more beans from a jar. I need to eat 2 emmental slices sometime tomorrow, I have a few packets

I must say that I am liking to think ahead a bit

Meg I hope you turn that magic corner soon
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 12th Jan 18, 8:09 AM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 8,834 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Morning All

I have quite a bit to do today so made an early start with some cinnamon & raisin porridge, stewed apples on top.

For lunch I've taken soup out of the freezer and salmon fishcakes for tea, I have celeriac & cabbage remoulade and a mixed salad leftover from yesterday which will go nicely with the fishcakes.

There's a nice park and riverside walk I've been doing which is reasonably close to home and it gets me just over two and a half miles of my daily requirement, so I need to do that this morning then I have a match in the afternoon which requires some more walking so I'm hoping to reach 4mls by the end of the day, which is extremely good for me and my own way of going from couch to 5k
    Keep Moving = 40.24mls/1000mls

New2meRecipes = 2/24
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 9,671 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    White toast with peanut butter for breakfast.

I can report that green pesto with proper basil makes a great savoury spread on hot toast.
    Who knew?
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Oh yes, yummy!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 3/60
    • spirit
    • By spirit 12th Jan 18, 9:08 AM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 6,010 Thanks
    spirit
    I'm glad to hear that you are eating more PN. I read your other post elsewhere and if it helps any, my (31yr old) son has just had a formal diagnosis of same. It took about 6 months from initially seeing the GP to being referred.

I don't often post as my meals are rather boring I think. I'm still finishing off a gammon joint I bought for xmas when all the family were round for boxing day lunch.

mainly I try to stick to low carb since I did the Blood sugar Diet in 2016. I ought to do the full 8 weeks again properly really.

I've been feeling a bit odd lately too, raised heartbeat that doesn't calm down when I do deep breathing, slight breathlessness etc. when to Dr on Wednesday, blood pressure is a bit high. She ordered blood tests, which I nipped back yesterday morning to have done, and an ECg is booked for a week Saturday.

DD's baby is due tomorrow. she is getting fed up now and wants him out LOL
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 61,314 Posts
    • 358,960 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    One of the packs of L1dl special offers about a month ago was beef, which I froze.
    Beef Stew.

I might do dumplings later
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 13-01-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Jan 18, 9:23 AM
    • 2,839 Posts
    • 19,419 Thanks
    caronc

This lurgy is absolutely the worse I have ever experienced. Into my 5th week now and still feeling under par, the slightest exertion leaves me breathless and drained.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Hope you feel better soon x
    Morning All

There's a nice park and riverside walk I've been doing which is reasonably close to home and it gets me just over two and a half miles of my daily requirement, so I need to do that this morning then I have a match in the afternoon which requires some more walking so I'm hoping to reach 4mls by the end of the day, which is extremely good for me and my own way of going from couch to 5k
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    Good for you - I was delighted to do over 5K steps yesterday
    Re me/ill, I'm not ill, I've just got a bout of "low mood".... which means I CBA with stuff. There are many reasons I might have this, which it's not worth even trying to fathom out. It could be "the season", or "post Xmas downer", or "it's so bl00dy grey every day", or "seasonal adjustment disorder" or simply "my age".

Yesterday I managed to eat:
    2 sausage rolls
    2 more sausage rolls
    A slice of cheese/onion quiche
    Some squares of chocolate.

So you can see I'm eating "more"
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Hope your mood improves PN x

Spirit - fingers crossed that tests show nothing untoward and that all goes well with DD's baby x
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 2,839 Posts
    • 19,419 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Dry, mild and sunny here this morning which is lovely

I need to venture "properly" out this morning as I need to visit the bank and post office in town. Will get a taxi there but hopefully will manage to walk back in stages

My sister is coming round after her work tonight so I'm making salmon, sweet potato wedges and pepper stew and we'll open a bottle of wine.

The halloumi bake last night was lovely, one I would definitely make again and would work well with any veggies in a spicy tom sauce as a base. There is a portion LO which I'll freeze for another time.
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    • 11,607 Posts
    • 67,080 Thanks
    kittie
    spirit, fingers and toes are very much crossed

pastures you are a light hiding under a bushel, I did my kwh sums the other day electric v wood pellet heating, just because I read a post of yours and yes electric, in my insulated house, is working out far cheaper. Days are getting longer,noticeably too

I attacked the veg from my local supplier and it is as fresh as anything I pick from my allotment, 10/10 for that also no plastic. All veg is ready for later and will steam over one pan. So, now I know, I feel that I could give up my allotment if I needed to, there is a very good alternative, which means it would free me up to go cycling in the nature reserve and to do my wood hobby. Garden in new house would just have to be big enough to grow some berry plants
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,440Posts Today

9,227Users online

Martin's Twitter