Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,839Posts
    • 19,419Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

GC - Jan £39/£120
Page 223
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 2,839 Posts
    • 19,419 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Hi cicatriz
    My trundle back and forward to the Drs earlier was challenging to say the least as the pavements were really slippy and my rollator kept skidding - I don't think you can get "winter tyres" for them
    Lunch ended up being a quick meal of oatcakes, cheese, salad and a cuppa soup before I spent a fair chunk of the afternoon (critically) reviewing examples my elder son had prepared for a promotion application - he is still speaking to me though. He is as usual Mrlastminute,com has it has to be submitted tonight.
    Still on track to make the "Aubergine & Kale Sata" tonight (MTSTM - think this might suit you), I'm pondering whether to have rice or noodles with it. There will be LOs so I'm hoping it's tasty.

Hugs for anyone with the January/CBA blues, I'm not doing too badly so far, mainly I think because the sun has been shining and I've been steady enough on my feet to get out in it so I'll make the most of it before the rain returns at the weekend.
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Jan 18, 7:37 PM
    • 14,632 Posts
    • 40,124 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Thanks caron - the thought has crossed my mind to try that recipe. I do occasionally read that blog and have tried a few of her recipes (though I tend to feel the need to add a bit extra food to some of them though - as I've got a standard size appetite and it feels like she has a small one).

Apji - I get what you mean by thinking about that girl. I admire people that can cope with blindness or near blindness - as I'm no "weakling" but it's not something I could cope with myself - so they're stronger than me that they can. A couple of hours of slight eye problems the other day had me thinking "If ever I get cataracts even - I'll have the operations within days of being 'ready' to", as I'm watching a friend of mine now (in this remote area and living more remotely than me) having problems with that and her life restricted whilst she is waiting for the NHS to deal with them. Which has reminded me - she's the one I'm having lunch with tomorrow - and I've never really found out how "into" music she is (as I feel music helps a lot - a fact I often forget). Might help her cope a bit better while she's waiting (and I'm trying to persuade her to pay and get it sorted LOL).

Personally - I dont like Christmas/New Year or the month of August and that's even more the case in such a quiet/family-centred area as this is (very different to my busy/focused on singles Home City I moved from). So - I've always used end of year as a time to plan/catch up a bit indoors etc. So I tend to think it's best to try and think as positively as possible about end of year time and try and use the time for that purpose.

It does sound to me like you are making some very positive moves all round re getting to know new people. Imo there is a "hit rate" of 50% success rate at trying out new groups/individual people - some you win and some you lose. But I think a 50% hit rate is reasonable imo. Two new groups coming up for me next week on top of the groups I'm already involved with - so if only one of them is a "hit" = its worth it imo.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 8th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 1,098 Thanks
    BucksLady
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILSOCxsy4bc[/URL]
    by MrAPJI;

Whenever I feel down in the dumps I think of one particular young lady that I had the good fortune to meet. Our paths crossed in an airport in Canada and since that day I've taken 'nothing' for granted. Let me introduce you to 'Molly' who as well as being a motivational speaker, also has a youtube channel :)
    [URL
    What a brave and inspirational young lady. I'm not surprised she has so many followers
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 2,839 Posts
    • 19,419 Thanks
    caronc
    Thanks caron - the thought has crossed my mind to try that recipe. I do occasionally read that blog and have tried a few of her recipes (though I tend to feel the need to add a bit extra food to some of them though - as I've got a standard size appetite and it feels like she has a small one).
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Yes - I tend to get less portions than specified too!
    However, can't report back as I've not made it into the kitchen yet, so it's been put back until tomorrow!
    Best laid schemes of mice and men etc. as I been on the phone/online with elder son sorting out his application as he hit a "wall" with the last example he needed and had got himself into a bit of a paddy. Still all sorted now - good his "old Maw" still has her uses.
    Think dinner will be egg, beans and toast with maybe a few mushrooms chucked in.

Re inspirational speakers, I was very moved hearing this guy speak a few years ago at an event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Andrew a real fighter against the odds.
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 9th Jan 18, 7:42 AM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 8,834 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Not as bitter cold today as the week-end, picture me and dog doing our Bambi on ice impressions Saturday and Sunday mornings... I thought 'Blimey! If the dog is struggling, I've got no chance of avoiding eating pavement!'
    Originally posted by Irenadler
    yes there were a couple of dogs having the same problem in the park where I walk, one leggy spaniel puppy in particular had to be lifted out of the frozen pond, his back legs couldn't get purchase to jump the 18inch wall

I also noticed ice floating down the river I did hear a forecaster on the telly say that we haven't had such low temps for 5 years - how easily we get out of the habit of dealing with this.
    Keep Moving = 40.24mls/1000mls

New2meRecipes = 2/24
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Jan 18, 7:54 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 9,671 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Crumpets with raspberry jam and tea for breakfast.

I'm having an avocado and tomato salad for lunch with the last of my pistachios and a WM roll.

Yoghurt and fruit about 11.

It's still dark outside and it's nearly 8!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 3/60
    • wort
    • By wort 9th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 7,907 Thanks
    wort
    The pasta sauce got divided ,3/4 into pots in the slow cooker with extra chilli, onions peppers and mushrooms. Tea tonight.with cheese!
    The other 1/4 went in the pasta , it did have veg in but added same extras, made a bit of garlic bread, and dumped a ton of extra mature cheese on top and it was yum!!!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 11,607 Posts
    • 67,080 Thanks
    kittie
    I have been going to bed later, getting very engrossed with my sock or fairisle hat making, my eyes don`t close to nod off in my chair when my brain is busy like that. So I wake later in the morning and get going later, quite nice too, I have no need to leg it to the allotment to get a whole stack of work done before it gets too hot. Its the hibernating season and I go with the flow

Cold soaked oats with a few prunes, followed by home cooked ham and some emmental. Nothing now until lunch and I think that is going to be a slice of leek quiche, warmed from frozen. Last meal, heated turkey casserole in a bowl

In betweeners, fruit plate, dark chocolate, berry crumbleand soya cream and I won`t be hungry for anything else
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 9th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 4,647 Posts
    • 46,080 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Yes - I tend to get less portions than specified too!
    However, can't report back as I've not made it into the kitchen yet, so it's been put back until tomorrow!
    Best laid schemes of mice and men etc. as I been on the phone/online with elder son sorting out his application as he hit a "wall" with the last example he needed and had got himself into a bit of a paddy. Still all sorted now - good his "old Maw" still has her uses.
    Think dinner will be egg, beans and toast with maybe a few mushrooms chucked in.

Re inspirational speakers, I was very moved hearing this guy speak a few years ago at an event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Andrew a real fighter against the odds.
    Originally posted by caronc
    As soon as I saw 'less portions than specified,' I knew you meant Jack Monroe, even without checking back. I think Jack does have a small appetite, judging by her size and figure. I'm sure some of her 'for two' recipes, were for her and a small child, No way does 150g of pasta feed two people.

I'd not been able to eat due to tummy trouble, but seem to have recovered.
    Yesterday I went shopping and demolished a three pack of Welsh Pantry ham and cheese pasties, outside Heron Foods, outside Aldi and inside Aldi. I was so hungry that I didn't care. Normally I would never do this. Normally I would never buy pasties, either. Needs must!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 14,632 Posts
    • 40,124 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Jack Monroe has a normal figure. She's not skinny and I know I take into account her figure and think "She must be using right size quantities then - because she has right size figure". (Yep...I'm the one that literally takes a quick look at the person presenting YouTube cookery videos before I decide whether to make them). So I switch straight on to another one if it's either a young girl acting daffy and dancing round the room literally and giggling OR if they're plump. Either way - I think "Next please" and switch through and start listening if I can see they're slim and "serious". I wouldnt even look through the "Two Fat Ladies" cookbook - as I obviously don't want to eat the way they do LOL.

But I think she probably is scaling-up the quantities she uses for herself and her child - rather than it being 2 adult size appetites.

EDIT; Quick check later and I use 113 grams of pasta for myself when cooking - as I measure in ounces and it's 4 ounces. So yep....150 grams would be one adult and a rather young child. Further edit: quick check for a spaghetti bolognese recipe as an example and first one that came up uses 350 grams of spaghetti for 4 people (though again one comes to the "If it's 4 people - then maybe 1 or 2 of them are children" thing).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-01-2018 at 9:37 AM.

• caronc
    • By caronc 9th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 2,839 Posts
    • 19,419 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning,
    Yes I tend to work on the premise that if a Jack Monroe recipe serves 2 that it will do me once as a main meal and once for a lunch portion.
    Still bitterly cold and frosty here though it was very dark and overcast earlier it has brightened a bit now thankfully.
    I'll suss what the pavements are like and if not too icey might venture out for a bit, if they are like glass I'll contemplate some housework.
    I think today will be another no breakfast day, I'm not feeling hungry at the moment so will probably go for an early lunch option which will feature LO baked beans and something
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 9th Jan 18, 9:56 AM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 8,834 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Had some Cottage cheese on toast with a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce for breakfast, the hotpot is in the slow cooker and already starting to emit a lovely smell in the kitchen

I have a match to play the other side of town at noon and also want to get a couple of miles walked before then so little opportunity for lunch today, I will probably just snack on some fruit then have my hotpot when I get home mid-afternoon.
    Keep Moving = 40.24mls/1000mls

New2meRecipes = 2/24
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 9th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    MrAPJI
    Morning to all

It was scrambled eggs for breakfast - must have overcooked them - they tasted awful and you should see the saucepan . This was followed by some grapes - just right - can't stand them when they are too soft.

Money, I feel the same about 'visual loss' - the thought of that happening is terrifying and my biggest fear. That's probably why I so admire Molly - she hasn't become 'a victim' and dedicates her life to helping other people. Her mum is very special too (she usually travels with Molly) - supporting her daughter, but at the same time allowing her the opportunity to spread her wings

Lunch will be chicken in a spicy tomato sauce, served on top of some pasta. I've been assured that it's a 'very' easy recipe, so I really hope so .

It's another gloomy day here. I've decided that it's time to sort my garage out - what's lurking in there is anyone's guess
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 9th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Stoke
    Last night I took some diced casserole beef, and made a weird DIY curry.

I used passata, two table spoons of curry powder, some ginger, basil, and a load of other weird herbs in my spice rack

Turned out actually really good and provided tea and lunch for today.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jan 18, 10:48 AM
    • 14,632 Posts
    • 40,124 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Morning to all

It was scrambled eggs for breakfast - must have overcooked them - they tasted awful and you should see the saucepan . This was followed by some grapes - just right - can't stand them when they are too soft.
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    Scrambled eggs - 2 eggs (freerange obv.), a dash of milk (say a dessertspoon worth), grind of black pepper, grind of Himalayan pink salt, knob of butter (say half an ounce?) and cook on LOW heat VERY slowly, stirring frequently is my definition of how to cook scrambled eggs.

They then come out nice and creamy. It's the butter and the low heat that's the clue.

On that note - better do some housework before heading off for that lunch with a friend. I know what I'm really doing right now - and that's hanging around near the phone because it's the norm for my mother to phone me early on my birthday (ie that would be today then...) to wish me "Happy Birthday". It's not so much that she hasnt yet - as that I know the reason - ie her mind is now such that she probably hasnt remembered. From a couple of things she's said - she does know this is happening to her mind...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-01-2018 at 10:50 AM.

• kittie
    • By kittie 9th Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    • 11,607 Posts
    • 67,080 Thanks
    kittie

happy birthday money, many of them

I got my smoothie blender whatsit out and decided to blitz my berry assortment with soyjade soya milk. Goodness in one glass and it was truly loverly, berries were still part frozen but that would make an awesome cooler for summer as it was thick. Needless to say I wanted a hot drink after that and hankered after a really good cup of coffee. Got my grinder and large machine out of the shed and made a real coffee with some frothed milk. Oh my goodness, what a treat. I put them in the shed thinking I should make space on my worktops but heyho, its only me and I can have what I like out, until I go up for sale and then much has to be temporarily re-located but don`t need to do that until then I have been having instant coffee, to use it up but in comparison, it aint nice
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Jan 18, 11:30 AM
    • 61,314 Posts
    • 358,960 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    No way does 150g of pasta feed two people.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    I've weighed a lot of my food in the past year, to work out exactly how much I DO cook to eat. And 75g of pasta, for me, makes "the equivalent meal I'd get from a ready meal for one".

I try to keep my portion sizes somewhere in line with what a ready meal would give me ... even though I think they skimp a bit ... because when you look at calories and published portion sizes they do seem to be correct. Small, but correct.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 11,607 Posts
    • 67,080 Thanks
    kittie
    I feel the same about 'visual loss' - the thought of that happening is terrifying and my biggest fear.
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    that is exactly why I need to move, to be nearer to a shop, within walking distance of a bus, village hall and activities and easier for a taxi to locate. It was the realisation that my retina, like that of anyone over 40, is degenerating only I saw the 3d image, an optional with my optician and seeing it in colour and in 3D, even though I am in normal parameters for my age, is terrifying. Seeing the enlarging hole around the optic nerves, experiencing the floaters, seeing the small custers of dry amd. Reality set in pdq, I cleared every room, my very large insulated shed and my garage and all could now be packed to move. I ached and ached but persisited

My garage was bad mrAP, it is sorted now but I have many large boxes of tools, cycle kit etc plus workbench, scrollsaw, pillar drill etc. No way is any of that going to be re-homed as I want to set up a workshop somewhere on my new plot. I have new skills to learn, may even get a bandsaw. The thought of moving it all is a nightmare but I think I can do all well enough, with professional help. Not somewhere smaller, just somewhere else, only a mile or so from here but it will make all the difference to me feeling more secure if I could not drive

I coped with clearing my husbands things by setting to very early in the grieving process, giving away what was wanted by family and just bagging the rest, a bag at a time and re-homing with someone else via the charity shop. I did gift aid and know I made a lot of money for them, the hospice shop, just by the good amount of tax that they got back. It was all very therapeutic, cheery music on the cd player and knowing that my husband would have wanted exactly that. The last of his things went only a few months ago, they were the most difficult but he would have wanted me to make a new life for myself. This, I know is the last stage in the healing process, being able to make that new life for myself.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 9th Jan 18, 12:07 PM
    • 4,993 Posts
    • 45,621 Thanks
    meg72
    Scrambled eggs - 2 eggs (freerange obv.), a dash of milk (say a dessertspoon worth), grind of black pepper, grind of Himalayan pink salt, knob of butter (say half an ounce?) and cook on LOW heat VERY slowly, stirring frequently is my definition of how to cook scrambled eggs.

They then come out nice and creamy. It's the butter and the low heat that's the clue.

On that note - better do some housework before heading off for that lunch with a friend. I know what I'm really doing right now - and that's hanging around near the phone because it's the norm for my mother to phone me early on my birthday (ie that would be today then...) to wish me "Happy Birthday". It's not so much that she hasnt yet - as that I know the reason - ie her mind is now such that she probably hasnt remembered. From a couple of things she's said - she does know this is happening to her mind...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Awww hugs love. Happy Birthday hope your Mum phones soon its heartbreaking to watch parents suffer memory loss.
    Slimming World at target
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 9th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 4,426 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Luxury non MSE scrambled eggs involve cream rather than milk. Just saying ...

I was once told that the true test of a chef was the ability to get scrambled eggs just right.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,459Posts Today

9,114Users online

Martin's Twitter