Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,840Posts
    • 19,437Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

GC - Jan £39/£120
Page 222
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 8th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 46,119 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    There has been very little cooking in the McC29 household, as my rebellious tummy rebelled against all the rich festive season food, and has had to have a couple of days off, which is the only thing that puts it right. My freezers are well-stocked, but the fridge could do with a refill, along with the cupboards.

It's a glorious day here, and I feel a shopping trip coming up later, my work being under control, and allowing me some time off today, hooray. There are compensations to working on Saturday and Sunday, and a leisurely Monday is one of them.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 11,087 Posts
    • 67,163 Thanks
    kittie
    mrAP, one door shuts and another door opens I love to read about your `adventures`

Very grim indeed today, grey, cold and no wind. Slight food diversion, I found a pack of 2 fat organic pork sausages and a chunk of black pudding, yummy, will still do the veg with it but tummy satisfying. I am making a casserole, all ready to cook for meals
    starting this evening. All bits and bobs that I need to use to make room, lots of leeks, turkey, parsnips from the freezer. Spices like grated ginger, chinese 5 spice, soya, little water. No idea what it will taste like but everything in there is edible. 2.5 litre pressure cooker is full but the leeks will reduce the volume

I fancy custard with some berry crumble for lunchtime afters. Yes, will make custard, crumble pud is already made

I have electric heaters on thermostats and 3 candles from my stash and am maintaining 19 in my living area. I did sums lately and electric heaters are far cheaper than pellets for heating this house because my house is so well insulated
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 8th Jan 18, 11:53 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Funnily enough, we bought a kitten from the rescue, 18 months ago, after a 7 year gap with no pets. He is very affectionate, and has been a great comfort since hubby died. I certainly chat to him or hubby! !!!
    Plastic takeaway boxes are kept, to portion cat food into! As I feed him raw food. Which brings me to the would I get eaten if I keeled over!! Most definitely! ! but would be my fault, if he was fed death nuggets I doubt he'd realise I was food!!!
    Originally posted by wort
    Heck, I knew there was a reason I didn't feed the dog raw food!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 8th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Morning, or should I say afternoon all?

Not as bitter cold today as the week-end, picture me and dog doing our Bambi on ice impressions Saturday and Sunday mornings... I thought 'Blimey! If the dog is struggling, I've got no chance of avoiding eating pavement!'

However, apart from a few slapstick moments, which ruffled my dignity, managed to stay upright.

Food wise:

Breakfast - it begins with a p....
    Lunch - a virtuous jacket potatoe, no butter, half tin of low salt, low sugar baked beans, with yogurt (low-fat). Groan. The diet is kicking in today....
    Tea/dinner - will be low fat chicken with no skin, and variety of whatever frozen veg I fancy, and gravy.

I am re-training my body not to snack, which in this cold weather, I think deserves a Blue Peter badge or something. (No I am not telling my weight, and sadly, no the scales are not broken)...
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • elona
    • By elona 8th Jan 18, 12:01 PM
    • 11,001 Posts
    • 61,859 Thanks
    elona
    I had egg and turkey bacon on one slice of toast for breakfast and have some cottage pie I made yesterday for later.

After a week of eating more sensibly I have lost five pounds so very pleased. Going to York later for U3A and no idea what to eat tonight.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 8th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Irenadler
    [QUOTE=kittie;73681181 have porridge for breakfast, don`t particularly relish it, so I soak the oats with a few prunes all night, in milk for the protein, keep it in the fridge. Made in 2 minutes and then sprinkled with shelled hemp seeds.[/QUOTE]

Hey Kittie

I think of this as fuel to start me off; ever since my local GP asked about my breakfast habits, and discovered I was eating (what I thought was healthy) certain cereal of flakes of corn which will be nameless. With white sugar, lots of it.

Never forget the wry look on his face as he drawled 'Might as well eat the box....!'

Never touched that cereal again, put me right off, went to oats or bran, but oats are the only breakfast that seems to keep me feeling full...
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 8th Jan 18, 12:12 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Irenadler
    I had egg and turkey bacon on one slice of toast for breakfast and have some cottage pie I made yesterday for later.

After a week of eating more sensibly I have lost five pounds so very pleased. Going to York later for U3A and no idea what to eat tonight.
    Originally posted by elona
    Wow! Well done Elona, I am well impressed.
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 8th Jan 18, 12:36 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    BucksLady
    I love to read about your `adventures`
    Originally posted by kittie
    There have been plenty of them too .

Thanks to all for 'good wishes' for baby. She's a good little soul and we feel blessed to have her
    • wort
    • By wort 8th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 7,917 Thanks
    wort
    Neighbour just knocked to tell me the washing line has broken!! Luckily the lawn is still frosty and hard, and the Washing was half dry! Just done running repair but I'm frozen after 10 mins out there, even with the sun out its baltic. Will add line to shopping list.

I made ham salad on gf seeded bread, for lunch ,I also made a duplicate to take to work tomorrow. I'm about to have an apple rice pot to warm me up, I'll take the raspberry rice tom.

Mr AP- that does sound quite a story reminds me of the program on tv at the moment called house through time, very interesting. Ice cream for breakfast
    Elona- well done that's a good loss in a week.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 8th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 9,705 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Crumpets with olive Pure spread and Marmite and a banana and an orange for breakfast.

I just had some crackers with peanut butter for lunch. I was going to make jacket potatoes, but I was doing three lots of washing and I forgot to put them in the oven! I will have them later.

I have half a tin of beans left to have with them.

All my choccie coins are gone, they lasted ages.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 4/60
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 8th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Stoke
    Gammon joints are currently 3 for a tenner at Morrisons. I don't often shop in Morrisons but it seemed fairly good value. I tend to throw them in the air fryer for about an hour at 160 degrees. Half for tea. Half for work lunch tomorrow.

I'll do some nice steamed veg (or boiled if I'm feeling lazy) to go with it. It's tempting to do some healthy chips too, but I think i'll turn into one if I keep eating them They are so so good though!!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 5,850 Posts
    • 8,471 Thanks
    Farway
    Afternoon folks

Dull & cold so stayed in and played with TV gizmo, found ultimate couch spud app, I can now control it from my mobile . Next stage is get my photos up I know not where they go but dr0pbox is involved and I think I can then see them on the TV. Boys & their toys?

MrAPJI
    , another genealogy buff i see. That's me & PN as well. I have been pondering getting DNA test, although I do not use Ancestry. OT, but have you tried Lost Cousins? Free to join. I'm on it but no lost cousins, a few found ones though

Breakfast was one of my HM yoghurts
    Lunch was last of the bacon, with tom & lettuce in a sandwich
    Dinner is sausages defrosting at the moment, LO mash, LO beans & a grilled wrinkly tomato
    • Cicatriz
    • By Cicatriz 8th Jan 18, 4:28 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Cicatriz
    Thought I'd drop into the thread.

Saturday I made chicken fajitas with enough filling for one more meal out of it.
    Sunday I made Sri Lankan Curry, 3/4 now in the freezer.

Stocked up I have
    3 * Psycho Con Carni (awesome crazy hot chilli)
    1 * Chicken, mushroom and leek pasta
    2 * Bologneise
    3 * Sri Lankan
    1 * Fajita filling (or whatever I feel like doing with it)
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 8th Jan 18, 5:22 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Irenadler
    I've just eaten two sausage rolls, hot.
    Not feeling much love for food this week, to be honest.
    A real CBA month so far.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Hello PN
    Sad to read you are not fancying much food; start of the year can be cold, grotty weather, and not wanting to shop....
    A little confused. What is cba?
    Cooking banned atthe moment?
    Convenience or boiled or as it is i.e. raw....

Keep seeing it, and not sure what it means.....
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 11,419 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Hello PN
    What is cba?
    Originally posted by Irenadler
    Can't be a*sed
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 11,419 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I've just eaten two sausage rolls, hot.
    Not feeling much love for food this week, to be honest.
    A real CBA month so far.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Are you suffering from food overload from Christmas/New Year like a lot of people? .

I think I am suffering from December/New Year food overload . If I wasn't feeling like not eating anyhow because of this cold I think I would be off food. I'm not sure whether my CBA is food overload or cold symptoms or a combination of both.

I don't even fancy stollen/mince pies/cake or crumble, things must be bad .
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    • 11,087 Posts
    • 67,163 Thanks
    kittie
    I CBA with food either but am still making the effort, I want to be tip top if I get any flu contact. My turkey casserole was one of those when I said `wow`. I thickened it with chicken gravy granules. Took 20 minutes in my little pressure cooker and is spoon food. Loved it, have separated into 3 more meals, one tomorrow, 2 for the freezer. I have lovely cooked ham to use, freezer. Roll mops and lots of cheese slices, I`ll have to have 2 slices a day to get through them before ubd. Oh I know, I`ll go continental and have cold ham and cheese for breakfast, with warmed cold soaked oats and prunes to start

Looks as though I will be alternating leek quiche and turkey and leek casserole all the rest of the week. Oh well, leeks are a good food and I still have another 12 on the allotment

I am looking forward to my bed tonight, electric blanket on and will carry on with my mindless, coal mining village girl book. It will only take me the week, just reading before sleep. I have a few more, specifically bought for easy reading in winter enforced (ie sensible) staying in the house
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 14,583 Posts
    • 40,155 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Hi cicatriz

CBA - indeed ...yep...can't be ars*d/can't be bothered (delete as applicable according to which you use personally). It's a phrase that features a lot in singles' kitchens...

There oughta be a halfway phrase to that - sorta cba here tonight. Vegetables needing using up - so resorted to another "standard" for use-ups = roasted veggies. Forgot to add much in the way of "taste" - whoops! Anyway had with a cheat "grains" thing - ie packet of assorted quinoa and seeds ready-prepared and a bit of tahini sauce over it.

Currently getting together a couple of folders worth of recipes I've been accummulating that suit my tastes. So - maybe I'll do a bit better soon....

Blimmin' cold here still - but things starting up again properly tomorrow thank goodness after the Christmas enforced "break". Lunch out tomorrow with a friend - due to shortage of reasonable places to eat out round here - its restricted choice. Suspect I'll have a "modern" (ie interesting) salad with ciabatta bread. Might check what sweet things they have as a treat (hoping for something chocolate). Of course I couldnt possibly comment that there might just be a couple of glasses of wine with it. My excuse being that one of the things later in the week is a womans spa outing - so should sweat it all back out again...and exercise it all off with a couple of exercise classes during the week as well.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 08-01-2018 at 6:15 PM.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 8th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    MrAPJI
    [QUOTE=Farway;73683607]

MrAPJI
    , another genealogy buff i see. That's me & PN as well. I have been pondering getting DNA test, although I do not use Ancestry. OT, but have you tried Lost Cousins? Free to join. I'm on it but no lost cousins, a few found ones though

Farway, thanks for mentioning the Lost Cousins site, I will take a look, particularly as it is Free

Kitty, thank you for your kind words

Wort, ice cream at breakfast is a First and an absolute winner

I think a lot of people feel a bit deflated after xmas. We all gear ourselves up for 'the day' which seems to disappear far more quickly than it appears. Too much food and sometimes too much drink - then we pay the price - system overload (mentally and physically). To top it, the sun goes awol and casts a gloom upon us. Now I am feeling miserable lol. Whenever I feel down in the dumps I think of one particular young lady that I had the good fortune to meet. Our paths crossed in an airport in Canada and since that day I've taken 'nothing' for granted. Let me introduce you to 'Molly' who as well as being a motivational speaker, also has a youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILSOCxsy4bc
    Last edited by MrAPJI; 08-01-2018 at 6:58 PM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Jan 18, 6:57 PM
    • 5,850 Posts
    • 8,471 Thanks
    Farway
    Welcome Cicatriz, hope you find a few ideas here, even if it is just that cold pizza, or ice cream, is OK for breakfast, as is toast for dinner. No food shaming here, but many useful tips & ideas. No doubt you will see food post sooner or later & think "I fancy that now"

The dinner of bangers, mash etc went well, hard to muck that up
    To follow I used up the last of the Greek yoghurt, and sliced a banana in it + spoonful of honey. Tasty as it sounds

Absolutely no ideas for food tomorrow having used up my left overs. I am hoping my mooch around Lild on way to volunteering may spark an idea. If not I have loads of things in the freezer, none of which I fancy at the moment

Now cracked the TV thingy and my pictures, plus I managed to get pics off my phone onto the computer with out needing a cable.

PN I hope you perk up soon, at least the sausage rolls & chocs should sustain you temporarily
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,782Posts Today

9,756Users online

Martin's Twitter