Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,815Posts
    • 19,279Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

GC - Jan £39/£120
Page 220
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Jan 18, 10:36 AM
    • 61,283 Posts
    • 358,818 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    A few years ago I remember eating yorkshire puds (in Yorkshire) which were filled with meat. They were absolutely delicious - has anyone tried cooking those?
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    Although I can make my own Y puds, most of the time I buy frozen. The reason for this is that the small quantities I require and the dishes I have don't work well with the batter ratio.... for a giant Yorkshire I'm prepared to put up with the fact "it's not quite right, but close enough".

I can cook them .... if I'm making a biggun that serves 4. Under that it can get a little underwhelming

When I do make my own Giant YPs I'll fill those with whatever's the current food I'm using up/cooking etc ... sometimes beef, sometimes chicken.

I like Yorkies to have a "pudding base" by preference, that was how we all liked them in our house. A thick base, with the sides that rise up ... and to get that I need to make more batter .... so I cut the quantity down and make a giant Yorkie without a pudding base as that really needs a much larger/wider/deeper dish than I use to make a Yorkie for one.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 61,283 Posts
    • 358,818 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I didn't fancy cooking, but I was starving, so decided to make the effort even though I'm feeling quite groggy. I did it, ate it .... and feel no different!

Oh well, at least I don't have to feel any need to eat something now.

Not done the washing up .... *sighs*.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Jan 18, 10:48 AM
    • 2,815 Posts
    • 19,279 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    It's beautiful morning here though still sub-zero. Don't mind though as the sun is shining. My sister is picking me up in a bit and we are going to pick up a takeaway coffee (not very MSE but a nice treat) and we'll take it down the shore. It will be freezing there but the views should be good.
    No breakfast again so will have a nice brunch when I come back.
    Tesco arriving later with fresh stuff and hopefully about to be needed tea bags. I've chicken thighs defrosting for later which I'm going to cook in a marinade of yoghurt, harissa paste, lemon and garlic and will do some roasted veg to have with it.
    APJI- re the giant Yorkshires. Most supermarkets sell them in packs of two so a handy base to fill with whatever you fancy.
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 7th Jan 18, 10:48 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    MrAPJI
    Apji - you're probably right re the gym being a "hunting ground" for 20's/30's - though I've never been a gym-goer myself.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Money, I only use the pool - wouldn't have a clue about how to use all that apparatus, and even if shown, wouldn't have the inclination lol. For me, the perfect excercise is swimming and when the weather is fine I will cycle or go for a walk
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 7th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    MrAPJI
    [QUOTE=caronc;73676244

APJI- re the giant Yorkshires. Most supermarkets sell them in packs of two so a handy base to fill with whatever you fancy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Caron, I will take a look as I quite fancy that as a change

Enjoy your coffee and time with your sister
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 10,324 Posts
    • 26,240 Thanks
    suki1964
    MrApji, roast beef in yorkies is so easy, even if you can’t cook a thing

Step A - hit the deli counter and buy a few slices of roast beef. Get them sliced as thick as you like

Step B - hit the freezer section and buy aunt Bessie’s giant yorkies and a bag of steam veg bags

Make a gravy with gravy granules , put the beef in a microwaveable container, cover with the gravy. Nuke the steam bag of veg, nuke the beef in gravy whilst heating the yorkie in the oven , when all hot, assemble and enjoy

If you want to cook your own beef and still don’t have cooking skills, buy a reasonable sized joint of brisket. Season well, place in the slow cooker with a small glass of red wine and cook on low for about 5 hours. It will basically be fall apart soft ( check after 4 hours )

Still buy the frozen yorkies, they are good enough I do make my own but I’m cooking for 3 so it’s worth it

Fail safe easy to remember recipe for yorkies is
    1 egg
    4 tbsp milk
    4 tbsp of water
    4 tbsp plain flour
    Salt and pepper

Whisk together till lump free. Leave to sit for 30mins. Make sure your oven is very hot and the oil in your tin is at smoking point. That means you can see a haze from the oil. Quickly pour batter into tin, return to oven and cook for about 25 mins. Don’t open the oven till it is fully risen and golden. If it’s getting too brown turn the temp down but only after it has risen
    Last edited by suki1964; 07-01-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot the flour lol
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 61,283 Posts
    • 358,818 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I just checked, I had a Giant Yorkie 5x last year.... two were Aunt B's frozen ones on a whim (wasn't impressed/no different to my own) ... and the other 3 I made from scratch.

Xmas dinner I just bought frozen - a pack of four "medium" sized ones and I've used 3 since Xmas day.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 61,283 Posts
    • 358,818 Thanks
    PasturesNew

1 egg
    4 tbsp milk
    4 tbsp of water
    Salt and pepper

Whisk together till lump free. Leave to sit for 30mins. Make sure your oven is very hot and the oil in your tin is at smoking point. That means you can see a haze from the oil. Quickly pour batter into tin, return to oven and cook for about 25 mins. Donít open the oven till it is fully risen and golden. If itís getting too brown turn the temp down but only after it has risen
    Originally posted by suki1964
    In your rush you didn't mention the flour
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 10,324 Posts
    • 26,240 Thanks
    suki1964
    In your rush you didn't mention the flour
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Damm lol

Iíll edit it now
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 7th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Irenadler
    The "sleep on it" thing has virtues and sometimes works - and it's always worth trying to think how to deal with a problem/take a positive attitude it can be resolved at the outset.

One of the downsides of getting older though imo is the realisation that there are problems that just can't be solved whatever one does. Not just the big things - you know world peace etc etc. But, at a personal level, the fact that sometimes it boils down to a "best case analysis" of what can be done to ameliorate a situation that can't be completely "binned/forgotten".

Me - I tend to giving myself time to "hear myself think" in quiet (and notebook taken with me when going for a walk - as sometimes things surface then whilst the mind is otherwise not that preoccupied) and be prepared to fight harder than many expect a woman and/or someone who'd like to "fit in" if possible to do (but has higher priorities if fitting in translates into being walked over).

I'm a great researcher of facts about issues of concern to me and find them out as best I can and then work out the odds of succeeding with whatever-it-is I've realised I've got a fight on my hands about.

The virtues of "switching off" when one has done all the research/planning/etc one reasonably can about any issue aren't to be under-rated either. Current personal favourite - and yep...I know it's mindless - being watching detective tv programmes.
    I enjoyed reading that, Money, I try to think in a similar way. Research and be informed.

I am currently assisting a parent, who, unfortunately I feel, was fobbed off by a consultant after a diagnosis of 'detached retina' with the words that he wasn't going to do anything about it. As she's independent, wouldn't allow anyone to accompany her.

After research, even the NHS's own website states this diagnosis, untreated, leads to loss of vision! Now persuaded her to allow me to accompany her to GP for a referral/second opinion.

I always get the impression that the stoic attitude of the older generation is abused by some medical practictioners, or, who don't have the time/bedside manner to explain diagnosis or consequences.

Anyhoo, the usual:

Porridge, porridge, porridge. (And frozen fruit with banana, sh don't tell PN)

Lunch: full Sunday at parents...

Tea: probably nothing as will be too stodged...
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 7th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 9,495 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    It's perishing out there today!

I had a veggie bacon sandwich and a banana for breakfast.

I don't feel that hungry so I'm not sure what else I will have today.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 3/60
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Jan 18, 11:47 AM
    • 61,283 Posts
    • 358,818 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Breezy as heck here today, gusting close to 50mph

....stoic attitude of the older generation is abused by some medical practictioners, or, who don't have the time/bedside manner to explain diagnosis or consequences.

Originally posted by Irenadler
    I took my mum for a problem and the Dr was a locum/Indian, flown in to do out of hours cover..... coming out mum was waving her prescription about in her hand and I asked "do you know what you've got to do with those tablets?" .... and she hadn't got a clue. She'd not been able to understand a single word he'd said, she'd not said a thing, he'd written a prescription, she'd taken it and left!

I bet that's not uncommon.

Professionals assume people are hearing/understanding what they're saying and have absorbed the correct instructions for what to do with the tablets, daily, next and how long for and what to do if whatever the problem is has changed or still there.

Without me there mum'd probably have just got her tablets and then taken 2-3 randomly until they were gone .... without knowing how many she was supposed to take, when etc.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Jan 18, 11:58 AM
    • 14,590 Posts
    • 40,005 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    A friend of mine had the detached retina thing - and it was instant panic/deal with at once scenario in case of blindness. Fortunately she and her husband made sure it was too.

Know what you mean about elderlies attitude to medicine sometimes - long since lost count of asking my parents about anything they are/should have been prescribed - as I'm rarely able to persuade them into investigating what it's all about. Did manage to get my mother to kick up one time when the NHS was trying not to do her second cataract operation and it got done after all. That's the only success I can think of. I think she's got me "trained" better than vice-versa frankly - as I stand there and go "Whatever she does (or doesnt) want, then that's what I want her to have".
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Jan 18, 12:27 PM
    • 11,585 Posts
    • 66,939 Thanks
    kittie
    The virtues of "switching off" when one has done all the research/planning/etc one reasonably can about any issue aren't to be under-rated either. Current personal favourite - and yep...I know it's mindless - being watching detective tv programmes.
    yes, I watch old cracker dvds or get stuck into knitting a complicated fair isle hat

Food is so easy today and quite enjoyable. I am waiting for a lasagne forno to cook, no other cooking at all today. All fruit is raw or frozen and it will be spelt cereal for last meal as I have de-frosted a litre of milk, which I froze as a litre

It is so enjoyable today, washing is almost done and drying, the sun is blazing in and I am sitting in a recliner, knitting socks. Later I will scroll through my bought audible books, bought 4 years ago and will find one I would not normally pick up and read.

det retina, A and E for emergency treatment
    Last edited by kittie; 07-01-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 61,283 Posts
    • 358,818 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It's getting windier here.... if I kept chickens they'd be laying the same egg several times apiece!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 10,324 Posts
    • 26,240 Thanks
    suki1964
    It's getting windier here.... if I kept chickens they'd be laying the same egg several times apiece!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

My hens go in when it's windy as they can't stand against it I shouldn't laugh but it is funny seeing them be blown around

We have been so lucky with the storms. We were originally meant to be in the eye of Ophelia, she done a divert, Dylan, blew over a pot plant and Eleanor seemed like she was going to hit, and whilst all around us had trees and power down, this wee corner was missed

It's flipping cold though. Luckily it was dry yesterday so the main roads were gritted ( we have had torrential rain since Christmas and roads and fields are flooded everywhere) It is still only minus 3 out there and I think we have snow on the way for next week
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 7th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 9,495 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I still feel cold. I just got myself a hot water bottle to put on my lap when I'm watching TV in my chair.

I'm having jacket potato with baked beans for late lunch. I am adding chopped onions and apples and sweetcorn and curry powder to the beans to give it a kick. Probably might sound weird, but it tastes nice.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 3/60
    • wort
    • By wort 7th Jan 18, 1:49 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 7,835 Thanks
    wort
    Funnily enough, we bought a kitten from the rescue, 18 months ago, after a 7 year gap with no pets. He is very affectionate, and has been a great comfort since hubby died. I certainly chat to him or hubby! !!!
    Plastic takeaway boxes are kept, to portion cat food into! As I feed him raw food. Which brings me to the would I get eaten if I keeled over!! Most definitely! ! but would be my fault, if he was fed death nuggets I doubt he'd realise I was food!!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 7th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    MrAPJI
    MrApji, roast beef in yorkies is so easy, even if you canít cook a thing

Step A - hit the deli counter and buy a few slices of roast beef. Get them sliced as thick as you like

Step B - hit the freezer section and buy aunt Bessieís giant yorkies and a bag of steam veg bags

Make a gravy with gravy granules , put the beef in a microwaveable container, cover with the gravy. Nuke the steam bag of veg, nuke the beef in gravy whilst heating the yorkie in the oven , when all hot, assemble and enjoy

If you want to cook your own beef and still donít have cooking skills, buy a reasonable sized joint of brisket. Season well, place in the slow cooker with a small glass of red wine and cook on low for about 5 hours. It will basically be fall apart soft ( check after 4 hours )

Still buy the frozen yorkies, they are good enough I do make my own but Iím cooking for 3 so itís worth it

1 egg
    4 tbsp milk
    4 tbsp of water
    4 tbsp plain flour
    Salt and pepper

Whisk together till lump free. Leave to sit for 30mins. Make sure your oven is very hot and the oil in your tin is at smoking point. That means you can see a haze from the oil. Quickly pour batter into tin, return to oven and cook for about 25 mins. Donít open the oven till it is fully risen and golden. If itís getting too brown turn the temp down but only after it has risen
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Suki, many thanks for your post - the instructions are fantastic I would never have thought to go to the deli - probably sounds daft . I will 'give it a go', that's for sure. Cooking the briskit in the slow cooker also sounds good. Thanks again
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 15,126 Thanks
    karcher

I think it may have been too wet, should be just sticky
    It does turn out heavier than yeast type of bread, and I think you left it in too long, about 20 minutes does it, and tapping if for hollowness is the way to tell if done, as does it turning into charcoal
    Originally posted by Farway
    Thanks Farway.

I deffo think the mix was too wet then so will aim for a dryer but sticky dough and shorter cooking time next time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin