Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,802Posts
    • 19,182Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

GC - Jan £39/£120
Page 217
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Morning All,

All this talk of hot cross buns had me wishing I had some - instead I had to make do with some cinnamon and sultana porridge for breakfast, didn't quite satisfy but close enough.
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    That sounds good to me . I have porridge a lot for breakfast, but have done it with apple and cinnamon, as I really like both I would like to try it. Do you grate the apple, or stir in chunks/slices?
    • karcher
    • By karcher 5th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 15,097 Thanks
    karcher
    I'm trying to make Farway's Soda Bread, but with no buttermilk I've done a mix of milk and vinegar but it isn't curdling!! What am I doin wrong?

I really dislike Hot Cross Buns..just saying
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I've been on the sofa all afternoon, I've come down with a cold virus and feel awful .

I did have breakfast of scrambled eggs on toast and a banana this morning.

Lunch was a tuna mayo sandwich and some stollen.

I haven't felt like cooking or eating much this evening so I've just had some cheese and crackers.

There are a few bits and pieces that need using up, but I really don't feel able to cook at the moment .
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jan 18, 6:50 PM
    • 2,802 Posts
    • 19,182 Thanks
    caronc
    I'm trying to make Farway's Soda Bread, but with no buttermilk I've done a mix of milk and vinegar but it isn't curdling!! What am I doin wrong?
    Originally posted by karcher
    It may not curdle but just taste sourish - keep going it will be fine
    I've been on the sofa all afternoon, I've come down with a cold virus and feel awful .

I haven't felt like cooking or eating much this evening so I've just had some cheese and crackers.

There are a few bits and pieces that need using up, but I really don't feel able to cook at the moment .
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Poor you - just rest and graze as you feel like it. Hope you feel better tomorrow.
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    • 2,802 Posts
    • 19,182 Thanks
    caronc

Feeling very stodged. I think the scales must be wrong, because they are showing me 2 lbs heavier....
    In 2 days? Sigh. No more ice-cream.
    Originally posted by Irenadler
    - must be the scales (fingers crossed)
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 5th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 8,803 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    That sounds good to me . I have porridge a lot for breakfast, but have done it with apple and cinnamon, as I really like both I would like to try it. Do you grate the apple, or stir in chunks/slices?
    Holly, I just had to make do with sultanas and cinnamon this morning I didn't have any apple, but I do often have cinnamon and raisin porridge with stewed apples - I do them with sweetener so don't need to add any sugar or honey to the porridge.

By the way I had a quick look in sainsbugs for HXB's and the ones they had looked pale and very unappetising not at all what I expect from a HXB.
    Keep Moving = 40.24mls/1000mls

New2meRecipes = 2/24
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 5th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 8,803 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty

I had a horrible virus a few weeks ago and very unlike me I took to my bed for two days, I just couldn't face getting up, on the third day I had to cause I needed more paracetamol.

So be good to yourself and manage your symptoms as best you can.
    Keep Moving = 40.24mls/1000mls

New2meRecipes = 2/24
    • karcher
    • By karcher 5th Jan 18, 7:08 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 15,097 Thanks
    karcher
    It may not curdle but just taste sourish - keep going it will be fine

Originally posted by caronc
    I just went for it..it's in the oven now. Wish me luck
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Jan 18, 7:14 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I had a horrible virus a few weeks ago and very unlike me I took to my bed for two days, I just couldn't face getting up, on the third day I had to cause I needed more paracetamol.

So be good to yourself and manage your symptoms as best you can.
    Thanks, I shall take some paracetamol before I go to bed and certainly stay in for a few days.
    Holly, I just had to make do with sultanas and cinnamon this morning I didn't have any apple, but I do often have cinnamon and raisin porridge with stewed apples - I do them with sweetener so don't need to add any sugar or honey to the porridge.

By the way I had a quick look in sainsbugs for HXB's and the ones they had looked pale and very unappetising not at all what I expect from a HXB.
    Thanks, I've got some stewed apples in one of the freezers so it will be an opportunity to use something from the freezer, so a win win situation .

I saw theirs when I went in the store and agree that they don't look that good. I've just had a look on their web site and they really are that pale.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    It should be fine. I often use milk and vinegar or lemon juice instead of buttermilk and it is always as good as using buttermilk. It's so much cheaper. as well.

Enjoy the wonderful smell from the cooking bread .
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 2,802 Posts
    • 19,182 Thanks
    caronc
    Fingers crossed, hope you've got butter and cheese in, nothing nicer than warm soda bread with those IMHO
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 5th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    MrAPJI

I feel positively piggish compared to other people's diets,,
    Originally posted by Irenadler
    You're not the only one

Lunch today was at a carvery - nice not to have to cook . The meal was pretty good and such a wide choice for both vegetarians and meat eaters alike. There was a sweet trolley which was laden with calories - but who could resist - certainly not me

I told BucksLady that when baby number 2 is born - I was to be the 'first' to be told Just received a message from her husband to say that at 6.15 pm a baby girl was born at home. So that's a bit of good news for a change

Holly, you're really in the wars. Hope you feel much better soon

Did anyone see that programme with Miriam Margoyles in America? At one point she was driving and munching on a radish - couldn't believe the size of that.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 5th Jan 18, 7:37 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 15,097 Thanks
    karcher
    Fingers crossed, hope you've got butter and cheese in, nothing nicer than warm soda bread with those IMHO
    Originally posted by caronc
    Thanks...I have both

But Ouch, just burnt my hand getting it out of the oven

BTW how do I know when it's 'done'? I left it in 25 mins as per recipe and it looks 'done'....as you all may guess, baking isn't my strong point but I am determined to actually 'cook' this year

Holly...just take it easy, eat what you fancy and I really hope you feel better soon xx
    • karcher
    • By karcher 5th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 15,097 Thanks
    karcher

I told BucksLady that when baby number 2 is born - I was to be the 'first' to be told Just received a message from her husband to say that at 6.15 pm a baby girl was born at home. So that's a bit of good news for a change
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    Ooo congrats BucksLady

MrAPJI you are truly honoured to be on the 'first to know' list

And hat's off to you for helping your elderly neighbour, I'm sure she loves the company and appreciates the help.

If you and your neighbour did do it today, I hope sorting your wife's things wasn't too painful for you x
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 14,570 Posts
    • 39,944 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    You're not the only one

Lunch today was at a carvery - nice not to have to cook . The meal was pretty good and such a wide choice for both vegetarians and meat eaters alike. There was a sweet trolley which was laden with calories - but who could resist - certainly not me

Did anyone see that programme with Miriam Margoyles in America? At one point she was driving and munching on a radish - couldn't believe the size of that.
    Congratulations to BucksLady then from us - as we've seen her here on the thread

I'm sorta wondering whether to see that programme or no on Iplayer/whatever - not having seen it at the time. I've been watching the celebs go on their travels checking out possible retirement places and, by and large, enjoying it - but admits to sorta "closing my eyes and ears" when Miriam comes on. Whereas I find the male dancer (Wayne Sleep?) interesting to watch and like that delicate blond one that is sometimes on there (Jan Leeming?). But I might "get past that" to watch that ...I aint sure.

Glad lunch out went well.

Feeling a bit cba today - did do an old stand-by of "the way to use up various odd vegetables is a stirfry" for lunch (with bit of tofu thrown in). Followed by "the way to use up various odd fruits is fruit salad". Not really "supposed" to serve up stirfry with spicy sweet potato baked "chips" - but I did.

Dinner was cba because emails have been flying to and fro between myself and a firm I bought some hundreds of £s worth of goods from between 1 year and 6 years ago and imo they're trying to wriggle out of the refund I should have after their "should last my lifetime" goods havent. I'll never understand the lack of logic these days with firms taking that attitude - in this day and age of Facebook/Google reviews/the like..... But, if the human race was logical it wouldnt fight wars/pollute/overpopulate - and we all know it does all that...

So dinner - was toast/cheese/fruit.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,802 Posts
    • 19,182 Thanks
    caronc
    You're not the only one

Lunch sounds lovely , please pass on my "Congratulations" to BucksLady

BTW how do I know when it's 'done'? I left it in 25 mins as per recipe and it looks 'done'....as you all may guess, baking isn't my strong point but I am determined to actually 'cook' this year

A bit like newborn babies "tap it's bottom" though with bread it should sound "hollowish" rather than giving a yell
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 5th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    poppystar
    Hi guys

Well, having thought I was back and functioning last week when I popped in The Virus took over. I can't remember the last time I have effectively spent a week in bed or on sofa with only two trips to my local shop.

Food consumed this week has been juice, couple of slices of toast and honey and lemon in drinks. Tonight I have tried a piece of chicken but frankly it hurts so much to eat that it has left me feeling worse.

The Virus moved into my eyes on NYE too so I look like something out of a horror movie! My nights are spent bathing my eyes every hour or so to get rid of the grot and to put my mind at rest that I can still see something.

Typical of people on their own I was too ill to see a dr and anyway I suspect I would have been sent away with a flea in my ear because it is a Virus. If Im feeling a bit better next week I may go just to get the eyes checked over.

I have coughed so hard that I've also hurt my tummy and have to cough bent over! I am not someone who generally gets a cough so that in itself has been an experience.

The head sweats at night mean that my pillows will be ditched once I am recovered - and I pray I reach that point soon!!

Positives are that I have lost weight and only really fancy fruit and non sweet stuff.

Not sure when I shall feel up to being here again and be able to see the screen but wanted to say HNY to all while I could.

Hope your new years have started better.

…if this is the aussie flu then do everything you can to avoid getting it. I would not wish this on anyone. Mind you I am extremely careful and still got hit so maybe that is not so easy.

Take care all
    • wort
    • By wort 5th Jan 18, 10:08 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 7,797 Thanks
    wort
    Mr AP I hope sorting your wife's things wasn't too painful, it was kind of your neighbour to help, I sorted my husbands things immediately, which raised a few eyebrows, but it was best for me, I think it would have been harder if I left it. I think we know when is the right time.
    Hope those feeling poorly are soon feeling better. Much congratulations to Bucks lady.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Jan 18, 11:08 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Hi guys

Well, having thought I was back and functioning last week when I popped in The Virus took over. I can't remember the last time I have effectively spent a week in bed or on sofa with only two trips to my local shop.

Food consumed this week has been juice, couple of slices of toast and honey and lemon in drinks. Tonight I have tried a piece of chicken but frankly it hurts so much to eat that it has left me feeling worse.

The Virus moved into my eyes on NYE too so I look like something out of a horror movie! My nights are spent bathing my eyes every hour or so to get rid of the grot and to put my mind at rest that I can still see something.

Typical of people on their own I was too ill to see a dr and anyway I suspect I would have been sent away with a flea in my ear because it is a Virus. If Im feeling a bit better next week I may go just to get the eyes checked over.

I have coughed so hard that I've also hurt my tummy and have to cough bent over! I am not someone who generally gets a cough so that in itself has been an experience.

The head sweats at night mean that my pillows will be ditched once I am recovered - and I pray I reach that point soon!!

Positives are that I have lost weight and only really fancy fruit and non sweet stuff.

Not sure when I shall feel up to being here again and be able to see the screen but wanted to say HNY to all while I could.

Hope your new years have started better.

…if this is the aussie flu then do everything you can to avoid getting it. I would not wish this on anyone. Mind you I am extremely careful and still got hit so maybe that is not so easy.

Take care all
    Originally posted by poppystar
    Sorry to hear that you are still unwell from this virus. Just eat what you can, anything is better than nothing when you are feeling too ill to cook, and it is too painful to eat. Hopefully you are able to take plenty of fluids.

I've come down with something today and am hoping that it isn't the really bad one with the cough and bad chest. I have had the flu jab, so it should be a cold virus and not flu.

I hope that you feel better soon, take care of yourself x
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Jan 18, 8:19 AM
    • 14,570 Posts
    • 39,944 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Poppystar - hope you're feeling better soon ((( ))).

That does sound bad. I've had flu once in my life and that was bad enough - but that does sound like a particularly bad version of it. Eyes and all - agh to the eyes being involved like that!

Think that's a useful reminder to all of us on here just-in-case to review whether we're well stocked-up (well - as well as our kitchens will allow for) with food - as we all know the problems singles encounter with doing the shopping if we're ill (ie because there is only us to do it).

I've just made amended my shopping list to include more mylk than I'd planned on (ie plant milks - rice milk, oat milk, that sorta thing) and a couple of extra packets of porridge oats. I've always found to date that, whatever I feel like, I can manage porridge to eat personally. Not made my porridge yet with plant mylk instead of diary milk (an experiment still awaiting trying) - but plant mylk does have the virtue of keeping for months on a shelf and so certainly wouldnt go to waste in this household. Not that it would harm me personally to lose a bit of weight. Still got that 2 stones to lose as "Project on list" at the moment! and can see a noticeable number of my clothes are 2-3 sizes too small for me (ie "real size" 14 - rather than 21st century label size 14).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 06-01-2018 at 8:24 AM.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,390Posts Today

8,657Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Of course but this question is about the specific "ladies first" rule. Ie a man giving a seat because it's a lady n? https://t.co/FBmEfwnHNM

• Today's twitter poll: Traditional manners have/had the concept of "ladies first". Is that compatible with gender eq? https://t.co/Qk4bC3pHjk

• RT @helwid87: @MartinSLewis Thankyou for your student loan refund advice. My £617 refund came through yesterday, making January less of a t?

• Follow Martin