Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,805Posts
    • 19,203Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

GC - Jan £39/£120
Page 215
    • Farway
    • By Farway 4th Jan 18, 3:05 PM
    • 5,838 Posts
    • 8,399 Thanks
    Farway
    Wind is getting up here as well as PN, trees bending a bit now but if stuff survived the other night I reckon it will stand tonight's blow

Beginning to have second thoughts about dinner, could now be one of the gammon steaks, eggs & HM chips

So pleased your HM yoghurt is going well. When I needed extra jars to do a batch for my DD as well as mine I looked on ebay and was shocked at the price. I looked in asda and found the smartprice mint sauce at 24p jars werethe exact size I needed. Bought 6 and emptied the sauce into a big coffee jar put the sauce jars through dishwasher , result free jars and enough mint sauce to probably last me out lol.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Thanks for the tip Meg, I was toying of going a bit posh and using some of the flip top type jars, £1 each, but 30+p each sound much better. Plus enough sauce forever
    I think I may slip an empty yoghurt jar in my pocket just in case Lild have similar mint product when I'm in there tomorrow

Do you use a powdered starter still, or live bought yogurt? I have plenty of starter as part of my pressie, but will eventually need to use a new one as I believe the culture looses "ooomph" along the way
    • Farway
    • By Farway 4th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 5,838 Posts
    • 8,399 Thanks
    Farway
    "Nice day" to me means blue skies/warm/calm. "Nice day" here means "It ain't blowin' a hooly or raining"
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    A nice day to me is upright, awake & breathing
    • wort
    • By wort 4th Jan 18, 4:05 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 7,804 Thanks
    wort
    Extremely windy and raining here just got soaked coming home from work, too windy for a brolly.

Hot smoked salmon and ultimate mash, we're taken from freezer before work and I've prepped the carrots cauliflower and thrown in the last 2 sprouts.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 4th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 14,575 Posts
    • 39,956 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Originally posted by Farway
    I think that one of the things I've realised since embarking on my Second Life in same lifetime (as I've come to think of it - ie since moving to Wales) is just how many things are "subjective" rather than "objective" (as I'd always thought of them as being).

One of the ways I look at things these days is "It's almost like embarking on a Second Life in the same lifetime in the same country" and it's been a bit-of-a-shock to realise just how different things can be as same person in same country/same lifetime!
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • kittie
    • By kittie 4th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 11,577 Posts
    • 66,889 Thanks
    kittie
    how many things are "subjective" rather than "objective" (as I'd always thought of them as being).
    yes agree. A nice day to me is not having any boring moments in yet another day when I don`t see a soul. That was of my own making tbh, this flu bug is keeping me away from crowds plus I don`t want to spend any money. Sometimes the only way to see anyone is by going shopping as I am sure some of you know through hard experience

Veg soup in a bit plus the last slice of fruit cake from the freezer. Stuff is going down nicely in the freezer, only got lovely plain sweet scones left and one fat rascal plus some ciabatta slices, that is the bread/cake drawer. Ooh yes, that leek quiche was gorgeous, my pastry was so flaky and crisp and the taste!! one piece tomorrow and I froze 4, each on an enamel plate so it can go straight in the oven

My next veg box is a small one with 7 veg and no potatoes. not until next week. I have leeks and two whole chards on the allotment and lots of frozen ratatouille, it`ll be a good chance for me to make a bigger freezer dent. It got dark a bit later tonight and wasn`t half windy this afternoon, very loud. I am glad it won`t be bad tonight. I slept downstairs in the recliner twice this week, the wind upstairs wakes me and tbh is scary. I sleep like a log in the recliner
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 4th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 14,575 Posts
    • 39,956 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I think the thing about The Wind that I get concerned about in current house is I worry about whether I will be faced with hassle and expense having to repair the roof of the house. I've had one heck of a lot more hassle and expense than I ever expected since moving - and do worry about having any more.

But - realistically - I know my feelings about it (one way or the other) arent going to make any difference to what actually happens - and the roof has been okay so far (after some initial problems the vendor could/should have told me about - but you know how it goes - and they didnt...).

Know what you mean by being on your own. Life Proper in t'World was due to "resume as per normal" completely tomorrow and that aint going to happen now. But come the beginning of next week and "Yer on....and we're off - and back to it" thank goodness. Next thing to "look forward to" is a meal out with friend early next week - but one of my exercise classes resumes next week before then and I'm expecting (lots more) cheeky comments there from some of the younger members I'm getting to be friendly with...LOL.

On the food front - lunch was very late today and was just toast with seed spread. Starting in on dinner and that looks likely to be cba too (2 lots of sodders in one day later) - and so it's fruit with Oatly "cream" and "chocolate chips" at the moment and I'm contemplating what to have next. Eggs and cheese would be so handy right now - but the eggs were finished weeks ago and the Cheese Mountain in freezer is noticeably reduced and is currently sitting there in freezer frozen solid.

Conclusion = it takes more willpower (trans. = lot more willpower or lot "calmer/less sodders and hassles life") to focus on eating more the way one has decided to. I'll get there....

One of my New Year resolutions is "No more than one sodder dealt with per day - if I must...". So dealt with one in town today (successful outcome) and am in process of dealing with one re goods bought from elsewhere in the country (I'm doing a "Facebook shaming" battle with that firm at the moment - trying to get a refund for their faulty goods they sold me. Signs are good at the moment it's going to be resolved successfully.).

• caronc
    • By caronc 4th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 2,805 Posts
    • 19,203 Thanks
    caronc
    Me too - especially the upright

It's still raining with quite a bit of flooding causing problems in town nearer the shore.
    Son and his gf made it safely back to Cardiff thankfully, though it seems have been a bit of a harrowing drive until Preston where the weather eased a tad.

I got a Fitbit as a Christmas gift so spent this afternoon setting it up. I couldn't do this before as I don't have a smartphone so had to get a dongle to sync it with my laptop. It was seeming to take forever until I realised I had missed a cue to press "next" at one point. Tbh it's not something I would have thought to buy for myself but I'm really pleased to have one.

Food has been more heathy today though I did succumb to some nice cheese on my breakfast toast. Lunch was scotch broth packed with veg and pulses and I was munching on satsumas and dried figs while I was setting the Fitbit up.
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 4th Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    MrAPJI
    You never know - there might be a few more meals you don't have to think about doing then.
    Here's hoping

The wind has returned to my neck of the woods and the rain hasn't stopped all day. About 25 years ago I was held hostage in a French hotel. I had heard people talk about 'The Mistral', but didn't realise what a demon it was. It didn't stop blowing for 3 days and with gales approaching 115 mph, it was impossible to go outside. Fortunately the food was extremely good, but the downside was the proprietress. She seemed to take rather a shine to me and thought it ok to flirt outragously at every opportunity. I wondered why the chef kept giving me dirty looks (usually with a cleaver or knife in his hand) - he was the husband lol. Have to say that I didn't encourage this lady Boy was I glad to leave lol
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 4th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 61,277 Posts
    • 358,785 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Still not eaten today. CBA to even bother yet.
    It's starting to hurt though, so stomach pains will drag me reluctantly to the kitchen soonish... even if it's just to grab two more biscuits
    • Farway
    • By Farway 4th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 5,838 Posts
    • 8,399 Thanks
    Farway
    Thanks again to Meg on the small jar tip for my yoghurt maker. It set me hunting at the back of the "bung it in" cupboard, and I found just the right jars, small ex apple sauce / mustard type. Now in the dishwasher and ready to go tomorrow once I have the milk

Dinner was gammon / eggs / HM chips. Beans & grilled tom would have gone well with it but I didn't think of that until too late

A 1/4 of my YS spotted Richard cake for pud. It is very nice, one I will buy again if I spot the YS
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 4th Jan 18, 7:06 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Irenadler
    I CBA'd to cook, so I did pasta in the microwave - ignore anything that says you can't, you can if your quantity is small enough. Cover with salted boiling water.
    Had it with a wee pot of stir-in sauce, boosted with a big glug of tomato ketchup. Lovely, and virtually no effort whatsoever.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    I've never tried that - thanks Mcculloch29 and Caronc. Good tip!

Better day today:

Breakfast porridge oats same as before.
    Lunch - big jacket spud with coleslaw, side salad including raw carrot, scotch egg, and leftover stuffing. Glass of water
    Snack: plain mixed nuts (not roasted or salted), apple, tangerine.
    Tea - Brussels pate made with roasted garlic, on wholemeal and rye toast, water, bit naughty had some cookies n cream icecream.

Well, have to use up Xmas goodies before I can start eating healthier....

I have tremendous will power.

If it's in the house, I will eat it.....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 4th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 11,237 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I'm still using up eggs, so had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast.

As I want to try and free up some freezer space I had two crumpets with cheese for lunch. Two crumpets take up more room than two slices of bread .

Dinner was a frozen ready meal, beef stroganoff. It was one of the ones my brother bought for me. I certainly wouldn't buy it for myself, it was expensive for what it was.

I had a hot cross bun this morning, and a couple of slices of stollen with some cream was pudding this evening. I have a feeling that I am moving on to the next favourite sweet thing now with the hot cross buns .

I have also been eating grapes and will have an apple later this evening, so something healthy has been consumed today .
    • caronc
    • By caronc 4th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 2,805 Posts
    • 19,203 Thanks
    caronc
    I have tremendous will power.

If it's in the house, I will eat it.....
    Originally posted by Irenadler

I had a hot cross bun this morning, and a couple of slices of stollen with some cream was pudding this evening. I have a feeling that I am moving on to the next favourite sweet thing now with the hot cross buns .

I have also been eating grapes and will have an apple later this evening, so something healthy has been consumed today .
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Hot cross buns much as I like them I never think of having them outside of Easter. My favourite is a toasted bun, butter and strong cheddar

I managed to get the fridge cleaned & sorted out. Perishable LOs from Christmas/New Year are a bit random - lots of cheese (I bought some and my son + gf also got lots from France/Belgium/Wales that I wasn't expecting - it will get used though ) cut basil, chives, a pork joint, lots of spring onions, 1/2 a green pepper, most of a jar of lumpfish roe ( I think next door's cat may be in for a treat), romaine lettuce, harissa paste, a pack of green beans, a pack of bacon and a pot of double cream. These will be interesting "use ups" . Still some of the beans, the half pepper and some spring onions as well as some mushrooms were had a veg with the LO lamb, gravy and mash tonight .
    Regarding the non-perishables not really looked at this yet but I appear to have more wine & fizz than I started with - must have a few "gatherings" where I ask folk not to bring a bottle
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • caronc
    • By caronc 4th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 2,805 Posts
    • 19,203 Thanks
    caronc
    oh and a red cabbage......
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 4th Jan 18, 10:33 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 11,237 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

Hot cross buns much as I like them I never think of having them outside of Easter. My favourite is a toasted bun, butter and strong cheddar
    Originally posted by caronc
    I was cutting through M&S on my way home this morning and they have got them prominently displayed. They have got a lot of new flavours this year. They had a couple of packs of the luxury fruited ones and the apple and cinnamon ones y/s at 50% off so I had one of each. I like the standard fruited ones with a strong cheddar like you.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Jan 18, 7:26 AM
    • 14,575 Posts
    • 39,956 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Here's hoping

The wind has returned to my neck of the woods and the rain hasn't stopped all day. About 25 years ago I was held hostage in a French hotel. I had heard people talk about 'The Mistral', but didn't realise what a demon it was. It didn't stop blowing for 3 days and with gales approaching 115 mph, it was impossible to go outside. Fortunately the food was extremely good, but the downside was the proprietress. She seemed to take rather a shine to me and thought it ok to flirt outragously at every opportunity. I wondered why the chef kept giving me dirty looks (usually with a cleaver or knife in his hand) - he was the husband lol. Have to say that I didn't encourage this lady Boy was I glad to leave lol
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    I'd heard about The Mistral - seems to recall some of the comments are to the effect of it literally driving some people mad. I used to think that was a most odd comment to make about it - until I moved to somewhere (ie here) where 60-80 mph winds are not uncommon and The Wind generally is here so often. By now - I shrug and "get on with it" and was out doing some voluntary work yesterday as usual and then doing other stuff I'd planned on in town afterwards. However, it was very noticeable that there were rather fewer people around than normal and I think even many "locals" seem to avoid going out if they can help it when it's particularly bad here.

I'm beginning to get the feeling by now you've probably led a rather interesting life Apji

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jan 18, 8:32 AM
    • 61,277 Posts
    • 358,785 Thanks
    PasturesNew

A 1/4 of my YS spotted Richard cake for pud. It is very nice, one I will buy again if I spot the YS
    I bought some dried fruit pre-Xmas, with Richard cake and a variation in mind (hence the bramley apple bought too) .... didn't get round to it.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 61,277 Posts
    • 358,785 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    All I ate yesterday was two chocolate biscuits.

I'm guessing .... I'll be eating a lot more today .... when I CBA.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 61,277 Posts
    • 358,785 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... I'm living in an area .... and "The Wind" (as I've taken to calling it).

I spent the first winter here .... until I realised The Wind is normal-for-here.

.... howling through my keyholes (something I've not been used to) or blowing me to smithereens on a pretty regular basis (ditto I'm not used to that).
    I looked it up, there's a map of windy spots on the met office page.

I'm in a darkish blue bit.

Map: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/gallery/mohippo/images/learning/learn-about-the-weather/wind/wind_averes_81-10.gif
    Site: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/wind/windiest-place-in-uk

Looking at that, I'm guessing that wind isn't discussed much because .... look at London, it's quite calm/quiet there and London dominates everything. 10% of the population, 99% of the news coverage and vocal voices in newspapers, social media etc.

We'd all know about the wind if London got it!
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 5th Jan 18, 9:08 AM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 8,812 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Morning All,

All this talk of hot cross buns had me wishing I had some - instead I had to make do with some cinnamon and sultana porridge for breakfast, didn't quite satisfy but close enough.

Lunch will be a repeat of the ham salad I had yesterday and tonight I'm planning a turkey and veg stir fry, yet to decided on flavourings and whether to have noodles or rice......oowh decisions, decisions.

According to the met office website I have 2-3 hours before the rain starts and I really need to achieve 3-4 miles today, its doable - best get dressed and get my boots on.
    Keep Moving = 40.24mls/1000mls

New2meRecipes = 2/24
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,030Posts Today

10,542Users online

Martin's Twitter