Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,782Posts
    • 17,953Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
Page 165
    • Farway
    • By Farway 6th Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    • 5,737 Posts
    • 7,759 Thanks
    Farway
    Up and about, but trying to keep food to minimum because I am out to a buffet this afternoon, for us volunteers. Luckily I do not have any problems eating anything, so will not go hungry because something is not dairy free, GF / vegan or whatever

Late breakfast was toast & jam
    Light lunch, probably more toast
    Dinner, really no idea, depends on the buffet. Today would be a good day for tin of sausages and beans that I never bought

Oh, I do get so tempted by that fruit and wonder what would happen if I helped myself

I doubt MrTs staff would do much but any lurking mummy m@fia would probably pin me to the ground and call the police
    Originally posted by poppystar
    You could always use what seems common reply these days of any wrong doing "I'm was very dark place & on a journey, I regret if anyone was offended"
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Dec 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 7,478 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    So far I have had two cups of normal tea and one of herbal tea. Toast with Marmite, some sweet chili crisps, a pear and a clementine.

I have leftover tomato and chickpea stew for lunch, probably with a wholemeal roll with marg dipped in.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Dec 17, 12:25 PM
    • 14,232 Posts
    • 38,555 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

You could always use what seems common reply these days of any wrong doing "I'm was very dark place & on a journey, I regret if anyone was offended"
    Originally posted by Farway
    I've seen people come up with that one before. Think I've only had it used once on me to date - that was someone who ran a small firm that was basically saying to me "I can't give you a refund - it would upset me too much - as I have Depression". I am still kicking myself for not going "Excuse me? - and that's an excuse for not fulfilling your obligations to your customer to give them a due refund - how?"
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 11,373 Posts
    • 64,851 Thanks
    kittie
    I did a round trip in the car to waitrose, I fancied a change, takes me 40 minutes each way but blimey I could have paid for my petrol with all the yellow stickers in there, except I had taken my food out the freezer for today and don`t have any spare freezer space. I felt like a spring chicken in there, the only person not clad in a quilted jacket and/or with a walking stick. It must be the time when older locals sweep up bargains and make no mistake, the store is surrounded by older people living in suitable homes, all massively overpriced btw

So I now have some extras for christmas, mince pies and some biscuit/ cake things. I was very careful to not go mad but I did buy nice pork sausagemeat and puff pastry in a roll. Two of each, in case of visitors, halved each of them and froze them to make yummy quick sausage rolls and also in case I see any more of pn`s posts on sausage rolls which always make me drool

breakfast, cold A2 soaked oats, walnuts, raisins. Break a small banana, fresh fig and few grapes. Now cooking my last (phew) turkey bean ready meal and while waiting, I have cleaned and sorted the fridge. I have indicated all my subs into next weeks veg box, my first set veg box today and I was impressed, I usually just order random stuff but a box is easier for them and me and I can add stuff to the box if I want. Probably toast and LO soft goats cheese for last meal
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Dec 17, 1:00 PM
    • 60,983 Posts
    • 356,199 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... sausagemeat and puff pastry in a roll....to make yummy quick sausage rolls and also in case I see any more of pn`s posts on sausage rolls which always make me drool
    Originally posted by kittie
    I got "conned" one Xmas. I bought/took sausages and pastry to my sibling's house at Xmas - to make sausage rolls. The morning of the day I was leaving I'd still not cooked them (food overload/was only staying 2½ days) ... and sibling suggested I cooked them and went out to leave me to it.

So I did.... cooked the lot. 8 sausages, one whole sheet. Sausages cut into halves I think, so 16 large sausage rolls.

Then "the trouble" .... sibling looked and ate one, said "I'm on a diet" ... followed by "I just wanted a taste".... so I ended up having to eat the whole 15 remaining sausage rolls myself!

That's why I buy the packets most of the time. They are an instant known quantity. No folding/egg washing, baking, clearing up ... and, overall, a smaller quantity
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 6th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Nothing exciting news wise from me. Lunch consisted of a small baked potato and the last of the tinned sweetcorn. That was an afterthought as I wanted to use up the 'frozen corn on the cob' I had had for ages, but it was not very nice at all somehow so the tin came to hand instead. Odd that as it has good reviews, just bad luck I suppose it was well in date 2019...

There is now *some* storage space.

I looked and did pick the LM veg sausage but I decided for some reason to do a "lastminutedotcom thing" and switch to a different brand, the same name as the Turkish Delight choc (yum!) although I think its a different company. The main reason was although I've had LM's before it was ages ago and the other one seems to have good reviews and I noted on the box instructions pic it listed micro too, a small added bonus as its an approved method.

Mind you I'd have no qualms in zapping the LM one's anyway. , a min or two to defrost them on high power, then probably stick a fork in them to !!!!! them and then the usual 2/3 min + turn + repeat until they were 'ready'

Regarding the odd foods today well I am merely 'using up what is here' as things arrive tomorrow. There's sufficient freezer space although I ought to get some kind of large plastic box (A4 type size) or cardboard box, plastic would be better then it can sit on the floor for my 'tin collection' in the pantry as I do not have much cupboard space. Will check local £1 shop to see what they have.

I do understand about 'min order' value for online although I think one place might be 25 instead of the more usual 40 or *gulps* 60 . My reasons for using online are as put previously simply due to distances really, I can usually manage and get odd and ends locally to 'stretch it out' as such.

I think I'm probably spending about the same give or take a little in total as I only think about 'an order' near the time and start to build it about a week advance, looking at the calendar it seems on average I'm having one about every 6 or 7 weeks so its not that bad all in all.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 6th Dec 17, 1:24 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Oh I knew there was a quick question

I was looking for a pack of dried onions but could not find any. You know the usual 'cup soup' type size of box with just said onions in.

However I did see two small alternatives here both were tiny 'salt pot' size tubs:

One was 'Onion Granules' and one was 'Onion Salt'

Which would be best to have ? The salt may be a bit too much as really I merely wanted the dried onions to either throw into mash, perhaps put a few bits/flakes of them into a hot soup or such.

I'm thinking neither would be best really as salt is salt ( ? ) and the granules I suspect will merely dissolve like that "onion gravy" mix you can get. I may have to wait, I'd rather not have a fresh onion as a little 'freeze dried' pack will last me a long long time.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 14,232 Posts
    • 38,555 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I've got onion granules personally. They are something I find the need to "bash at" (ie with end of a teaspoon) after a while in the jar - as they go a bit clidgy. But they're one of the things I use to transform bland vegan food into summat tasty. So its that and garlic granules and trying my way through things like miso. Add sweet paprika or a tiny bit of chilli powder.

After all the comments in recent recipes I've read online about sriracha sauce - I finally got some the other day (had to be courtesy of Amazon again - as couldnt find it in the shops near me). So will be trying that soon.

Coining a new term - and I just had a "bitsa meal" - ie bits of this and bits of that. So trying not to waste last little bit of that dish I cooked a couple of days back with barley/tomatoes etc. Eaten with olives and feta cheese and a bit of mixed grains I'm using up (and so had cooked in my slowcooker). For pudding it was a bitsa pudding too - I'd previously mixed up some coconut milk, avocado and fruit I was using up and chucked in a bit of cocoa powder and little "sweetening" and turned it into a sorta icecream. So that was hauled out of freezer and ate half of it. Courtesy of a bit more freezer reorganisation going on. Have now eaten my way through about half of the cheese drawer and repurposing it to be for dried beans, lentils or grains I've cooked up myself (to save on having canned ones).

Guess I should save a bit of money somehows - after just thinking "These slippers really arent warm enough", had a quick look at Amazon ahem.....and £38 odd later I've got a pair of cosy-looking clog style ones with what looks like durable soles to them (for once) now en route to me. It was the favourable review mentioning built-in arch support that did it for me - and I pushed the order button....

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 60,983 Posts
    • 356,199 Thanks
    PasturesNew

I was looking for a pack of dried onions but could not find any. You know the usual 'cup soup' type size of box with just said onions in.

However I did see two small alternatives here both were tiny 'salt pot' size tubs:

Originally posted by AndyCF
    I picked up a monster bag at home bargains some time back, so no idea if they'd have them still. 500 grams .... and would've cost me about 70p I think. "Crispy Fried Onions" the bag says, but no manufacturer name I can spot. (Bag says best before February 2017, so I've had them some time now!)

I used quite a few ... then I switched to frozen, but I am currently on "real/fresh" onions.

I can't answer re the granules or salt except I'd expect them to be the same thing ....
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 6th Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    • 10,105 Posts
    • 24,910 Thanks
    suki1964
    I have to admit that I'm childless and I have taken the odd free to children Apple

The rabbit liked them and as I treat all our animals like family I thought fair enough
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

still singing, loud and clear
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    • 60,983 Posts
    • 356,199 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I didn't even know, until this thread, that any stores gave away free food! It's probably not all stores, surely. Just bigger ones/near cities.

My nearest Mr T is 8 miles ... in the opposite direction to 4sda, so can't be done in a "round robin". I'd usually pop in there on a Wednesday as the local town's got a street market that day .... today in fact.... and I did think about going for a "round robin" .... but then I couldn't be bothered and didn't "need" anything and knew I'd come home with more food that needed using up...and time passed...so it's not happened.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Dec 17, 3:50 PM
    • 14,232 Posts
    • 38,555 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It's not just the bigger Tesco's that do that free fruit (for kids) thing Pastures. I think they all do - not sure about the absolutely weeny corner-shop size ones - but the rest certainly.

• caronc
    • By caronc 6th Dec 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,953 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Farway - hope you enjoyed your buffet.
    Andy - I have dried onions in the cupboard they are "Great Scot" brand, Whitworth is another brand that does them. I think mine came from Morrisons or Asda as I know Tesco don't stock them.
    If you have an Asian store near you they quite often have big bags of the dried fried ones.

It's wild outside and fully dark so I think the forecasted gales this evening aren't far away. It's not really cold but damp and chilly so my heating was popped on about 1/2 an hour ago.

Lunch ended up being toast and tinned soup, it was quick and filled a space! I've still not decided about tonight but don't think I fancy pasta we'll see!
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Dec 17, 4:29 PM
    • 60,983 Posts
    • 356,199 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I opened the pack of cooked sausages and munched on about 8 of them (pack of 40)... then, for an early tea, I've just had chips, beans and grated cheddar

It turned cold, so I put the heating on for a bit. I find it's better to put it on when I think it's about to get freezing, rather than waiting until it does - as that heat is of most benefit and "lasts longer" than waiting until I'm freezing and it's the last possible minute.

Heating's on for the same amount of time, just "before I need it" rather than "long after I needed it".
    • Farway
    • By Farway 6th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 5,737 Posts
    • 7,759 Thanks
    Farway
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Farway - hope you enjoyed your buffet.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Yes thanks I did, too much food for me, but it was pick N mix with plenty of choice. They used one of the "We supply your high tea" type of catering, posh china cups, tea pots, dainty triangle sarnies etc. Very well done, and no washing up for the kitchen volunteers

I came home with a doggy bag of mixed sarnies, sausage rolls, pizza triangle & a mince pie. No CFO tonight so a good food day all round, Shame about the calories

Dried onion flakes, they were very handy but I've not seen them for ages. Maybe gone the way of many useful but not a lot of profit items?

With the talk of stew & dumplings PN, with Caroline + Arctic plunge on the way, I have added a packet of Veg suet to my must buy soon list, along with the bangers & beans in a tin. I think I will decant the suet into a jar & store in fridge in the hope it does not go manky before I use it again
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 6th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Thanks PN and caronc for the Onion ideas, appreciated.

I decided not to bother with the Onion Salt or Onion Granules on my order, they were 80p each anyway so not a mass bank breaker but I suspect I'd try them once and never want to use them again as I do not really think either was going to be ideal for what I needed it for.

The latter to me really really says "this is onion gravy granules in a way" (even though its not) as if I wanted those I'd pick a small tub or stock cube type item of said flavour.

I'll keep an eye on a local shop then for something suitable, it will turn up. I did think a "famous stuffing manufacturer" made them but their site is down so I can't check, it may be my memory playing tricks but the last box I had was certainly about that size. I'll just spend a bit of time when I'm in each 'local' to find (or actually ask someone!) if they have any.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 6th Dec 17, 4:43 PM
    • 4,968 Posts
    • 45,446 Thanks
    meg72

Which would be best to have ? The salt may be a bit too much as really I merely wanted the dried onions to either throw into mash, perhaps put a few bits/flakes of them into a hot soup or such.

I'm thinking neither would be best really as salt is salt ( ? ) and the granules I suspect will merely dissolve like that "onion gravy" mix you can get. I may have to wait, I'd rather not have a fresh onion as a little 'freeze dried' pack will last me a long long time.
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    If you are near an Asda they have the Scots dried onions

https://groceries.asda.com/product/mixed-other-vegetables/great-scot-dried-onions/39636
    Slimming World at target
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Dec 17, 6:15 PM
    • 60,983 Posts
    • 356,199 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I think I will decant the suet into a jar & store in fridge in the hope it does not go manky before I use it again
    Originally posted by Farway
    What I used to do was buy a box of the suet and a small bag of flour - because the suet used to be in 250g boxes ... so it was the perfect mix. But now it comes in 200g boxes (grrr). So now what I do is tip the whole box out and weigh out 400g of the flour and mix them - then just store those in an airtight container. Lasts more than a year, I've never had a problem with it at all. What I spooned out 2 days ago was mixed up at least a year ago!

Do it like that and there's no future measuring, just give it a shake and/or a spoon around to check it's still mixed, then just spoon out "what you fancy, by eye"
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Dec 17, 6:19 PM
    • 60,983 Posts
    • 356,199 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Scots dried onions
    Originally posted by meg72
    At the risk of sounding as tight as I am ....

That's £10.75/Kg. My big bag was about £1.40-£1.50/Kg!

It's always that balance isn't it, between having a manageable quantity... or a trough-full that'll last 10 years because "it's better value"
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    • 60,983 Posts
    • 356,199 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I fancy something sweet.... but the kitchen is soooooo very dark in the evenings. I was going to knock up a quick flapjack, I have everything there .... but then I remembered how depressing and brown and dark the kitchen is and decided to go without.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,962Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin