Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,765Posts
    • 17,851Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
Page 164
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 5th Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,347 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I have eaten very weirdly today and I'm having a glass of cider now too.

Dinner will be marinated, oven roasted tofu, penne and whatever veggies I have lying around.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Dec 17, 3:50 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 839 Thanks
    Stoke
    I have eaten very weirdly today and I'm having a glass of cider now too.

Dinner will be marinated, oven roasted tofu, penne and whatever veggies I have lying around.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I keep trying with Tofu but struggle to make it taste anything other than, well, bad..... is there a technique behind cooking it?
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 5th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,347 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I keep trying with Tofu but struggle to make it taste anything other than, well, bad..... is there a technique behind cooking it?
    Originally posted by Stoke
    The trick is to freeze it first, thaw it and then try and get as much water out of it as possible with kitchen roll or a clean tea towel.

I'm not exactly a chef so I usually just throw it in the wok with some sesame oil or make it into a tofu scramble with veggies or throw it in a marinade and then roast in the oven. It does pick up whatever flavour you use like a sponge.

It is an acquired taste, though.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Dec 17, 4:29 PM
    • 60,951 Posts
    • 356,037 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I noted stewing beef chunks are on offer from Thursday
    Originally posted by Farway
    Earlier I was thinking about a stew ... not for the stew, it's the dumplings I make/love... but then I thought "veg stew's not very exciting".... so I'll definitely be getting some of that beef then and doing beef stew & dumps.... several times.

NOM.

Love dumplings, but it's often that "it could really do with a stew...." moment and without the ingredients you can't knock one up. I do sometimes just eat dumplings though, to be honest.... I'm more likely to eat just dumplings than a stew/dumps if somebody stood and counted. Just gravy and dumplings .... in fact.... that will be tea tonight I think. Just dumplings/gravy.

EDIT: Done that. 2 dumplings, chicken gravy (used up the final tablespoon in the annoying 'almost empty' canister) and some random peas just because I thought I should cook something else with the dumps

Eating them now
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 05-12-2017 at 4:41 PM.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Dec 17, 4:38 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 839 Thanks
    Stoke
    The trick is to freeze it first, thaw it and then try and get as much water out of it as possible with kitchen roll or a clean tea towel.

I'm not exactly a chef so I usually just throw it in the wok with some sesame oil or make it into a tofu scramble with veggies or throw it in a marinade and then roast in the oven. It does pick up whatever flavour you use like a sponge.

It is an acquired taste, though.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    It is, but I know it's possible to make it taste nice. I once tried to make a tofu curry and it turned out just awful. Then a few months later, I visited a local all-you-can-eat place, that was serving up curry. I accidentally picked up the vegetarian option, tofu, and it was delicious. So I know it's possible, I just can't seem to get it.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 5th Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    • 17,864 Posts
    • 38,727 Thanks
    Glad
    'Afternoon folks
    The remark by money on apple methods prompted me to nuke / stew one of my nicked apples last night, eaten with Greek yoghurt & honey. Very easy and same again tonight I think
    that's my dessert for tonight sorted

B was usual overnight oats
    L parsnippy soup (see below)
    D tuna and broccoli in a tomato sauce with green pea fusilli

parsnippy soup - I decided to do a soup overnight in the SC, opened the tin of coconut milk, then found I only had one parsnip, a big fat one, but not enough, so I added the stalk from some broccoli and a tin of butterbeans, some curry powder and left it, whizzed it up this morning and it tasted pretty much like my usual curried parsnip soup
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Dec 17, 6:43 PM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 17,851 Thanks
    caronc
    oh dear caronc, they will be back in no time but I bet the time is going so slow right now.
    Originally posted by kittie
    Thanks kittie, I spoke to my son just as he was leaving Dover, now heading to Calais rather than Dunkirk! I'm sure he'll be fine driving on the "wrong side" juat wish he wasn't doing it in the dark. I shall be mightily relieved when I hear he has got there.

Welcome Stoke

Good evening everyone,
    I carried on with my cleaning mission today, I wish I could say wrestling with Henry was getting easier but it ain't. Managed to clean the porch, sort/clean the bathroom cupboard and wipe down the wood work in hall. I paced myself but I think tomorrow I'll need to have a less bendy day as I can feel the pressure in my ear building. Still good to get these jobs down and thanfully most just need a wipe rather than a scrub unlike yesterday's effort.
    I see if the fish pie has defrosted and if not I think rather than pasta dinner will either be curry from the feeezer or something I can bung in the oven. I do hope the pie is defrosted though as the temperature has dropped a fair bit again and it has got quite windy so just the night for something topped with browned mash
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • Farway
    • By Farway 5th Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 5,724 Posts
    • 7,702 Thanks
    Farway
    A bus ticket to get to, say, 4sda would cost me about £3.70 return.
    A taxi would be closer to £15-20 (it's £8 from 1 mile up the road!).
    Driving at £2 is the cheapest option on a day to day basis, after the initial outlay of course of buying one, taxing it, insurance, services, etc. There's also no waiting or carrying/lugging heavy goods if you're using your own car as you push the trolley to the car and offload without any pressure.... ditto at home. I'll often leave groceries in the car if they don't need to be in the house immediately ... right now I still have a 4-pack of beans in the car I'll get round to bringing in when it suits me.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I've just had an e mail, unsolicited, free delivery for new customers
    There is a small print catch, minimum order applies

Without checking I just know the minimum will be more than I spend there in a month, like the 10p a litre off fuel at Morries, if I spend over 40 squid in the shop. Fat chance, ever

I guess I could stir up a twitter storm, except CBA, and I don't use twitter anyway
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Dec 17, 6:58 PM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 17,851 Thanks
    caronc
    I've just had an e mail, unsolicited, free delivery for new customers
    There is a small print catch, minimum order applies

Without checking I just know the minimum will be more than I spend there in a month, like the 10p a litre off fuel at Morries, if I spend over 40 squid in the shop. Fat chance, ever

I guess I could stir up a twitter storm, except CBA, and I don't use twitter anyway
    Yes it will be a £40 minimum, though Asda do include quite a bit of household items that you can get delivered wih your groceries so if you are looking for any bits like that could be worth looking otherwise it's "delete"
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 60,951 Posts
    • 356,037 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm starving. No idea how/why as I've eaten well today!

I've had 2 bits of toast, 1/3rd can of beans, 2 eggs, 2 dumplings, 1/3rd of a can of peas.

I'll have two more bits of toast, that bread's almost gone....

EDIT: had that .... and beans and cheese
    Because I can.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 05-12-2017 at 7:14 PM.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 5th Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    AndyCF

PS Andy I could do a "walk there and back" once I'd treated myself to some kind of 'cooling bag' to keep frozen goodies sensible I guess. I have no 'style concerns' with being seen with some kind of trolley either
    I have a trolley, and use a cooling back from Lild, guess most shops, especially Iceland, would have something similar. What I like is that it is flexible, so can easily be rolled, squashed to fit in when empty, and only used when frozen, or chilled products are bought
    That's a good thought thank you. I'd not really given much consideration to 'storage' of it as such.

I've had 2 bits of toast, 1/3rd can of beans, 2 eggs, 2 dumplings, 1/3rd of a can of peas.

I'll have two more bits of toast, that bread's almost gone....
    hmm you're making me hungry now too, as I purposely did not buy bread today (or much else!) as I have some things being delivered on Thursday and figured I'd easily do a 'day without' . Perhaps some crackers will suffice for the moment Mind you there is still an abundance of tinned things to eat anyway.

I was thinking earlier about 'mash on toast' for some reason while looking at 'other bean types for adding' I've added it to my "things to look at" listing.

That might be OK if I do my 'mixi-veg mash' and cut two pieces into quarters, so I have four 'mini sandwiches' to grab with a fork etc.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Dec 17, 7:59 PM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 17,851 Thanks
    caronc

Because I can.
    I'd be hungry if that's all I had eaten tbh even allowing for the dumplings and butter/spread on the toast I reckon that's only about 1200-1300 kcal which would definitely leave me feeling like something else, glad you had beans & cheese on toast
    That's a good thought thank you. I'd not really given much consideration to 'storage' of it as such.

hmm you're making me hungry now too, as I purposely did not buy bread today (or much else!) as I have some things being delivered on Thursday and figured I'd easily do a 'day without' . Perhaps some crackers will suffice for the moment Mind you there is still an abundance of tinned things to eat anyway.

I was thinking earlier about 'mash on toast' for some reason while looking at 'other bean types for adding' I've added it to my "things to look at" listing.

That might be OK if I do my 'mixi-veg mash' and cut two pieces into quarters, so I have four 'mini sandwiches' to grab with a fork etc.
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    Cheesy mash on toast grilled until crispy with a splash of HP takes me back to my student days coming back from the pub to watch "Auf Wiedershen Pet"

PS - My son made it in one piece
    • Glad
    • By Glad 5th Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    • 17,864 Posts
    • 38,727 Thanks
    Glad

Originally posted by caronc
    Lovely
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    • 60,951 Posts
    • 356,037 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'd be hungry if that's all I had eaten tbh even allowing for the dumplings and butter/spread on the toast I reckon that's only about 1200-1300 kcal which would definitely leave me feeling like something else, glad you had beans & cheese on toast

Cheesy mash on toast grilled until crispy with a splash of HP takes me back to my student days coming back from the pub to watch "Auf Wiedershen Pet"

Originally posted by caronc
    I'm a physically idle midget though, so 1200 calories is "pushing it" for me. You can eat more if you move/exercise ....which isn't at all on the radar

Yes, cheesy mash on toast, grilled, is always a winner - and I was never a student
    Also, samosa toasts

Glad he made it in one piece, but the reverse direction needs to be planned carefully (fill up in plenty of time) as there are all these "gangs" of forceful hitchhikers close to the ports if you believe the papers!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Dec 17, 8:36 AM
    • 14,199 Posts
    • 38,498 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Indeed - car doors and boot locked and mobile phone to hand caron.

Re the £40 - that £40 thing doesnt just come up as to what minimum price of goods one would need for deliveries. I often get handed a voucher in Tesco that can't be used unless one buys at least £40 worth of goods. As a single person - I doubt I spend as much as £40 per week on food between the various shops/etc I buy it from and so I can never get the benefit of that.

Though Tesco these days is even more annoying with the free fruit to eat as one goes around - if one is a child - but not otherwise.

I do sometimes wonder what single childless people get that we can use instead of these "over £40 voucher things" and the free fruit - but only for the minute or so that's long enough to realise = we're not given anything instead of those things
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 6th Dec 17, 8:51 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    poppystar

Though Tesco these days is even more annoying with the free fruit to eat as one goes around - if one is a child - but not otherwise.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention

Oh, I do get so tempted by that fruit and wonder what would happen if I helped myself

I doubt MrTs staff would do much but any lurking mummy m@fia would probably pin me to the ground and call the police

It's like that round here I almost got mowed down by two mums with big buggies yesterday as they were walking alongside each other and chatting away oblivious to anyone walking towards them. I had to jump into a shop doorway!

…and why does that fruit fro kids always look so much nicer that the stuff available for the rest of us to buy ???!!!
    Last edited by poppystar; 06-12-2017 at 8:53 AM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 60,951 Posts
    • 356,037 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Minimum orders are the reason I have never shopped online. I believe there's a thing called Click and Collect, which is free, which probably doesn't have minimums, but I don't know what I'm going out for and I like to look around/see what a shop's got, even though I do often walk out with nothing.

In the main I shop at L1dl and 4ldi, which have no such options.

If I start from nothing and buy bread, spuds, eggs, cheese, margarine from L1dl/4ldi, then beans from Sainsbobs - that's the makings of two weeks' dinners really .... so little wriggle room to buy much else/different. Sausage rolls are L1dl... pies are L1dl/4ldi. Bleach/washing up liquid etc are L1dl/4ldi and loo rolls are home bargains (stock up with 3 packs twice a year).

There's very few items that a supermarket can provide me with/cheaper. It just comes down to shop specific items I can't get at L1dl/4ldi or that supermarkets do better. e.g. the beans, or a bag of 5 doughnuts.

Yes there are some super products in some supermarkets - but they're a long way away, so it's a £2 cost just "to go and see what they've got".

£40 could feed me for a month at L1dl/4ldi - and a supermarket's products for the same items would probably cost £45-50.

£2.50 on spuds, beans and a loaf is "enough food for 10 days" almost! And as the spuds and bread then need to be eaten before they go off, that dictates that I can't add as much variety as some can enjoy. I can't freeze everything to give variety as my freezer's just "regular" and not one of the large/modern style ones that could swallow half a pig and not notice.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 6th Dec 17, 10:25 AM
    • 4,966 Posts
    • 45,436 Thanks
    meg72
    Indeed - car doors and boot locked and mobile phone to hand caron.

Re the £40 - that £40 thing doesnt just come up as to what minimum price of goods one would need for deliveries. I often get handed a voucher in Tesco that can't be used unless one buys at least £40 worth of goods. As a single person - I doubt I spend as much as £40 per week on food between the various shops/etc I buy it from and so I can never get the benefit of that.

I do sometimes wonder what single childless people get that we can use instead of these "over £40 voucher things" and the free fruit - but only for the minute or so that's long enough to realise = we're not given anything instead of those things
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I resent getting these vouchers too since I know I cant use them but do try to give it to someone who can when I get one. I think Iceland are probably the best if ordering online as its only £25 for free delivery and if you register a bonus card and load it with £20 you get £1 bonus, that's a free pack of toilet rolls or a meal. If you actually go in the shop its only £20 for free delivery.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Dec 17, 10:57 AM
    • 60,951 Posts
    • 356,037 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've just been looking at what's in my food cupboard - and, as a person who doesn't really eat a lot of pasta, one whole shelf is just pasta!

I have a whole pack of spaghetti + 1/6th of a pack; a HUGE bag of fusilli I was given; two packs of lasagne sheets; two bags of small macaroni; one bag of tiny sea shells .... and probably more if I go rootling about inside the "box that holds some random opened bags of pasta".

I think I've a storage box they will mostly fit into. All I need in the kitchen over the winter will be the 1/6th pack of spaghetti and the opened bag of macaroni.

Meanwhile I have things on the worktop that I've not got room for in the cupboard. So I think I need to decant most of that pasta somewhere else as it's mostly a summer food (pasta salad 3-4x a year) ... I'll keep the macaroni (well, one of the bags) in the cupboard for making mac cheese, but the 2nd can leave the kitchen.

I'm currently cooking a whole swede I bought ...that's been languishing for 5-6 days so starting to look a bit sad. Once cooked I'll just mash that and lob it in the fridge for now... and if I don't eat it by tomorrow I'll lob it in the freezer for Xmas.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 17,851 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    It's beginning to get very wet and windy here with fierce gales due later. I slept really poorly last night so I'm feeling decidedly under par this morning. I think a gentle day is needed and further cleaning can wait.
    Elder son and his partner have decided to wait until tomorrow to come back. By the time they got everything done today they would be pushing it to make the 6pm ferry and didn't want to end up having to stay in Calais.
    Breakfast was the usual toast & fruit and I think it will be eggs some way for lunch. I was thinking pasta for later but haven't fully decided.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,599Posts Today

7,478Users online

Martin's Twitter