Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,763Posts
    • 17,848Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
Page 161
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 2nd Dec 17, 4:59 PM
    • 14,193 Posts
    • 38,495 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Should just say it handy for keeping the body parts in
    Originally posted by Farway
    Burst out laughing as I thought "Bet Farway is thinking of someone he knows I've recently met ITRW....."

Barely even thought of Christmas - except to start making arrangements re attending a Christmas thing that one of the groups I attend has each year (which clashes with another group's one - so I cant manage that). Special lunch out being arranged between "The Three" (ie 3 of us that all moved over here at about the same time from Southern England). That's a bit of a challenge - with the other two having health problems with certain foods and myself that doesnt have any of that (but wants vegetarian and at least somewhat healthy).

Must start writing those Christmas cards...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 02-12-2017 at 5:04 PM.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • wort
    • By wort 2nd Dec 17, 5:43 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 7,113 Thanks
    wort
    B - toast cheeses spread.
    L- piri piri chicken salad sandwich, and apple muller rice warmed.
    D- chicken fried rice, dd2 is coming and calling to the Chinese on way that is the only thing b I can have that's g free. And I have to add my own soy sauce when it arrives! I'm looking forward to it as I'm starving and not had chinese since early in the year.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 2nd Dec 17, 5:44 PM
    • 60,947 Posts
    • 356,011 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I ended up with "idea overload and indecision central"... without having a chinese to drive to I didn't know where to start .... I'd get the main from "the good one", so would then need chow mein from another - but what if the "another" was no good.... and how do you collect from two different places to bring together onto one plate without one getting cold, etc.

Then I thought about other food shopping - and realised I'd need to go to "L" for chips .... and "A" for something sweet .... and decided that it's cold/dark and I could just end up faffing about and not enjoying the experience.

So I opened a tin of sausages with beans and did two bits of toast

... OK, I created leftovers as you only cook half a can, but it was tasty and I do HAVE to eat my way though a whole loaf ...by tomorrow and I'm only half way through it. 8 slices I've had today!

I might still pop out for "something sweet" in a bit though.... we'll see.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 2nd Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 12,889 Thanks
    karcher
    I ended up with "idea overload and indecision central"... without having a chinese to drive to I didn't know where to start .... I'd get the main from "the good one", so would then need chow mein from another - but what if the "another" was no good.... and how do you collect from two different places to bring together onto one plate without one getting cold, etc.

Then I thought about other food shopping - and realised I'd need to go to "L" for chips .... and "A" for something sweet .... and decided that it's cold/dark and I could just end up faffing about and not enjoying the experience.

So I opened a tin of sausages with beans and did two bits of toast

... OK, I created leftovers as you only cook half a can, but it was tasty and I do HAVE to eat my way though a whole loaf ...by tomorrow and I'm only half way through it. 8 slices I've had today!

I might still pop out for "something sweet" in a bit though.... we'll see.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    PN why do you have to eat the whole loaf by tomorrow?

Canned stuff I never have LO..I always eat a whole tin of beans etc in one sitting
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 2nd Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 60,947 Posts
    • 356,011 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    PN why do you have to eat the whole loaf by tomorrow?
    Originally posted by karcher
    It's not going to happen is it ...

I have a "golden rule" that I don't buy another loaf until I've finished the first one - and I still have a frozen half a loaf from the last loaf. I'm supposed to use up the frozen loaf before I buy a new fresh one ... because there's not room in the freezer for two half loaves ... and then you're stuck back at square one as you still can't have a fresh loaf and now have TWO frozen halves to use up

But I broke the rule and deliberately bought a new fresh loaf, to enjoy tomato sandwiches - because, in the main, bread is NEVER as nice once defrosted as it is fresh and I love plain tomato sandwiches in fresh bread and I'd bought a punnet of tomatoes that ... hey ... "needed using up"

It's all part of the food juggling processes we do with everything that enters that house that's not dried or in a tin

And this time, even though I deliberately bought a new loaf .... I've seriously slipped up.

I'm now stuck, unable to buy new/fresh bread until I've eaten what will end up as TWO frozen halves!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 2nd Dec 17, 6:36 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Oh proper faggots you have mouth watering, I've not had a decent one since I moved back to Scotland as the butchers don't sell them. The Mr Brain's ones used to be ok at a push but I tried them again a year or so ago and they were dire.
    I'm all ready for my guests, the house and myself are both as clean and presentable as they are going to get, soup is in the slow cooker, cheese board is assembled and the table is set. Oh must open some wine - best sample it to make sure it's not corked
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 2nd Dec 17, 8:33 PM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,237 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    If you have a food processor, making industrial sized quantities of home made faggots is so quick and easy. Pulse belly pork, liver, onions, bacon, herbs, and finally fresh breadcrumbs to clean the food processor/stretch the meat.
    Mix and bind, make faggots, place in dish and cover in a thick gravy. I think mine was a Shirley Goode recipe, originally, anyway, it works a treat.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 2nd Dec 17, 9:24 PM
    • 60,947 Posts
    • 356,011 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I always thought faggots had some strange tubes from innards in them... which is why I've never eaten one. Meatballs with added floppy body tubes

Eugh .... not for me!
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 2nd Dec 17, 9:53 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    AndyCF
    I don't think I've ever tried faggots either. I do like the occasional meatball tin however, I have to be honest I have tried some 'ready made but cook' ones and did not enjoy them but it was a long time ago. I'm going to have to be a bit erm 'posh' and say I have tried two supermarket varieties of them and not enjoyed them compared to one of the leading brands.

I do only like them in Gravy however given the other options of 'sauces' are not something I could eat.

Feeling a bit green today generally so no 'nice food news' from me.

Waffle timings will come as and when I get chance.

I do have a question I meant to post yesterday to anyone who can help with the 'microwave browning dish' , do I need to very very lightly oil it ?
    I mention this as when I used to do oven chips in a conventional oven I'd stick a piece of foil into the tray (yes I know, not using foil in the micro!) to keep the tray 'clean' and very very lightly oil it first.

Just wondered if I should do this with the dish or not, logic says yes as its only really to stop them sticking.

By lightly oiling I mean I'd put a few drops onto a kitchen towel then use that to 'dust' the tray (or foil if it was conventional oven)

I spotted some roast potatoes in beef dripping earlier (frozen bag) but was on my way elsewhere at that time so could not get them, I'll try to grab a bag on Monday if I think on, should make a neat change I cannot recall having the dripping ones before.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 2nd Dec 17, 11:07 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    caronc
    If you have a food processor, making industrial sized quantities of home made faggots is so quick and easy. Pulse belly pork, liver, onions, bacon, herbs, and finally fresh breadcrumbs to clean the food processor/stretch the meat.
    Mix and bind, make faggots, place in dish and cover in a thick gravy. I think mine was a Shirley Goode recipe, originally, anyway, it works a treat.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Oh thanks for that, sounds pretty straightforard. I always thought I'd need caul fat to wrap them which I can't easily get - one for my New Year "to cook" list
    • kittie
    • By kittie 3rd Dec 17, 7:52 AM
    • 11,369 Posts
    • 64,790 Thanks
    kittie
    freezer diving again, lunch is one small lamb burger, LO salad, ratatouille and fresh cabbage. Last meal is sweet potato and cumin soup. Breakfast was spelt and A2 milk, followed by a boiled egg and half a slice of toast later. I will take a small berry crumble out the freezer for a small meal and make some custard from that A2 milk. Some time today will also have stewed apple and some berries with soya cream on top. Glad I did that list, saves being aimless wrt food
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Dec 17, 8:01 AM
    • 60,947 Posts
    • 356,011 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... do I need to very very lightly oil it ?
    Just wondered if I should do this with the dish or not, logic says yes as its only really to stop them sticking.

By lightly oiling I mean I'd put a few drops onto a kitchen towel then use that to 'dust' the tray (or foil if it was conventional oven)
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    It's not a requirement/standard, but I can't see that it'd hurt.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Dec 17, 8:59 AM
    • 60,947 Posts
    • 356,011 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It's cold. When it's cold it's too cold to stand in the kitchen and think about food, it's more of a sprint/dash in and out soonest.

Breakfast was two bits of toast topped with the other half a tin of sausages/beans.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 3rd Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    • 5,724 Posts
    • 7,702 Thanks
    Farway
    Breaking news, Faggot report [I wonder what Google will make of this for U.S audiences?]

My first foray into faggots was OK and did not involve much fannying around, but I will not rush to repeat it, having survived over 7 decades without a faggot and having tried one last night I think I can easily go a few more decades faggotless

For me they fall into the meatball mystery meat mixture mould, so I will not bother again, same goes for meatballs, and kittie, they are no longer a "cheap" option, at least the one I bought weren't, probably the dear quality end of the market I suspect. £9.99kg, not checked but I reckon I can get a pork chop for less

PN, now I fancy tinned beans & sausages, we often had them as nipper, my mum was a very handy with the tin opener, I've liked them as a standby, must get a tin in next time I see them, but I follow karcher, not many tins have L/Os

I woke up about 5, and got fed up, thought about making bread, but instead opted for the Marie Antoinette solution, so got up and made a tea loaf. It looks yummy and once I finish this I'm off to sample it with a cuppa

Weather is dank and dull, staying in a and eating cake is the ideal CFO pastime on a day like today

Decided to use the LO yesterday mash & mushy peas to go with bangers. Defrosting the Heck posh bangers on the metal draining board

Due to chronic bread shortage and CBA to go out or make some, for lunch I will have a part baked baguette, bought just for such a day, with a couple of the sausages inside
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    • 14,193 Posts
    • 38,495 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    ...and I guess a question to ponder for the day is how many of us singles watch cookery programmes on the tv - and then head into the kitchen and go "CBA - where's the sausage rolls/crisps/etc/etc?" Which ones? If any?

Yep...I reckon YouTube food video-ettes count (well...they have to - as I know I watch quite a few of them....).
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Dec 17, 10:27 AM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    I had a great time with the girls last night and good dents were made in the soup and cheese board. There was a bit of a mix up on the pudding front with two pals each think they were in charge of co-ordinating so there was pudding overload to say the least, some have gone back with them but I have a defrosted fruit pavlova and some cream sponge lurking. The sponge was from a local bakery and was as light as a feather so I'm sure I'll manage to use that up! I'll see if my sister can find a home for the pavlova. Not a boozy night (one bottle of wine between us) but I'm still feeling rather wabbit this morning so a quite day I think once I've put the place back to rights. I've not decided what meals today might be yet.
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 3rd Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 8,379 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Another bright sunny day here, temp has more than doubled from what we had early in the week, finally managed to get a washing out on the line

I love faggots and have made them a couple of times, the recipe I used was a combination of one I found on t'internet and the one FrugalQueen had posted but her blog seems to have disappeared now. My first attempt I made in the food processor but I wasn't happy with the texture and found the pork belly didn't break down too well. I bought a cheap hand crank mincer and used pork shoulder instead of belly next time, I haven't made them for a while must have a look to see if I still have the recipe.

Cheesy Toast & tomato for breakfast, haven't quite decided what to have for lunch or tea yet, so best get a move on.
    Oct GC = £49.92/£60.00
    Nov GC = £55.48/£60.00
    Dec GC = £32.39/£70.00
    • wort
    • By wort 3rd Dec 17, 10:55 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 7,113 Thanks
    wort
    Oh Caronc, you are restrained ! Dd1 and her partner arrived with the Chinese and a bottle or 2 of asti, just to taste test as it's what we drink Xmas day , I'd already put a bottle of pink prosecco in, as dd prefers a dry wine. So we drunk the pink then almost a full bottle of asti. Her partner was on cola as he was driving.
    I hope you had a good night we did, just a little teary, when they left around 9 PM to get home. And I was looking at the flowers I'd done ready to take to the cemetery on Monday, I'd taken hubby's memorial up o Friday.
    Today I'm out with 2 friends I used to work with, we are having lunch in town . So I've only had 1 slice of toast for breakfast, and probably have a sandwich this evening ,depending what we have at lunch.
    At least it's a brighter day today, that rain was the horrible drizzly but wet stuff yesterday. And so dark all day.
    Hope you all have a nice Sunday.:
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 3rd Dec 17, 10:58 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    AndyCF
    This talk of beans+mini sausages within is making me hungry. I'm starting to wonder (as I can't stand the sauce within the bean tins unfortunately) about draining/rinsing it out and *ahem* replacing it with some quickly made hot gravy and then warming it all up that way.

I thought about 'cold' gravy ( ) so it all warmed together but that seems silly as a couple of minutes in the micro will have it all 'ready' regardless.

hmm, beans+gravy. I think they should make them.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 3rd Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 17,864 Posts
    • 38,724 Thanks
    Glad
    morning all
    I had a day out at the races yesterday and my friend stayed over, we had numerous cups of tea when we got up but no actual food so I need to get cooking to make sure I get my 2000 calories in!
    lunch will be a mushroom and mozzarella omlette with some organic yoghurt for afters, I get it delivered with my veg box and it's so yummy

dinner will be thai veg curry, my 'other' son is a chef and cooked for me friday leaving numerous portions of thai sauce left over, some of which I've frozen
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin