Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,793Posts
    • 18,006Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
Page 159
    • caronc
    • By caronc 30th Nov 17, 10:30 PM
    • 2,793 Posts
    • 18,006 Thanks
    caronc
    You forgot the midge spray

x
    Originally posted by karcher
    Whoops at least a couple of gallons for the West Coast
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 1st Dec 17, 6:46 AM
    • 14,246 Posts
    • 38,576 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    So cold and/or midges on West Coast of Scotland or maybe rain and wind on West Coast of Wales.

What's not to love?

Now who lives somewhere balmy and livestock-free?
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • meg72
    • By meg72 1st Dec 17, 7:12 AM
    • 4,968 Posts
    • 45,448 Thanks
    meg72
    Morning all. Think I might be getting free of this lurgy at long last. Woke very early 4am don't know why but feel quite energetic and have steam cleaned kitchen and had a freezer sort out.

Have absolutely loads in still despite a real effort to use up this month. Problem is the kind of food I like to eat is such a faff to do for one i.e.
    Roast dinners curry. casseroles Chilli. cottage pie etc I do four and freeze 3. Plus my love of yellow stickers.

I really don't need to buy anything at all this month. Christmas meat already in and larder stocked up. With the weather being so cold it seems like a good time to stay in the warm and use up. I am setting myself a challenge not to go shopping until Christmas Eve. Lol will see how long I last.
    Slimming World at target
    • kittie
    • By kittie 1st Dec 17, 7:48 AM
    • 11,383 Posts
    • 64,928 Thanks
    kittie
    Sausages and black pudding bought, divided into three and frozen. Something to look forward to over christmas. I fancy a trip out to waitrose but it is going to be a nice sunny day today, I`ll save that trip for sunday when it looks gloomy again

My appetite has definitely changed, I want smaller meals and am fed up with bulk-made home cooked ready meals. I still have three left and will use one today, I put them in foil trays and I know I will only be picking bits out but maybe the foil trays are too large. I am going to be lifting one drawer out of the freezer today to have a furtle, I need to do a stock take. Any future meat orders are going to be divided into easy-cook single portions, meats I actually look forward to, not meats that need to be bulk cooked. I do have a very shallow pressure cooker so could actually cook a `casserole` for two days if I divide the meat up appropriately for the freezer. That was a light bulb moment btw

Lunch a rm with no veg as there are enough veg in it. I have stewed apple in a big tub and yogurts for afters but in a couple of hours after

I had plain and simple porridge for breakfast but need to have some extra protein as that amount of milk is not enough, I think I will have what I had the other day, half a tin of costco sardines on half a piece of toast. Not the sardines in tomato but the ones in olive oil, very nice too. The rest of the sardines go into a little lock n lock for the next day

Glad you are n the mend meg
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 1st Dec 17, 8:06 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Sorry that some people are feeling under the weather, I had the flu recently and it was horrible. There are lots of nasty bugs around.

I have had a cup of coffee and herbal tea as I've been up since 5.30 today. It was freezing rain this morning, but I have had a hot shower and I'm wearing my long dress, jumper, fleecy socks and slippers so I feel okay.

I'm going to have toast with vegan bacon slices and fresh spinach for breakfast. Apple too.

Talking of crisps, I like the "posh" crisps from Aldi or Lidl, can't remember which shop, but they are lovely.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 1st Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I was just looking for simple living blogs after looking at the new thread on here. I didn't realise eating seasonally was supposed to boost your immune system, interesting.

5 Best Ways to Boost Your Immune System | Simple Living Blog
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 1st Dec 17, 8:58 AM
    • 60,995 Posts
    • 356,277 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    To me, simple living means living close to a shop that sells ready made sausage rolls

That's simple!
    • wort
    • By wort 1st Dec 17, 9:50 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 7,176 Thanks
    wort
    Andy, you have much more willpower than me!! Especially if I have a glass of wine with crisp!!
    The kettle ones come in two sizes, big and ginormous! !!! Only buy them on offer at a pound. Otherwise it's tesco or sainsbury. The small kettle crisp are usually not in the pepper flavour. Marks and Spencer do packs of small black pepper crunchy cracker "rice" type. But not cheap.
    I can't have walkers, so usually get golden wonder from home bargains or tesco own brand .usually cheese and onion.
    Just had toast but didn't really enjoy it, trying to decide wether to put this curry in slow cooker or wether it will cook down like the other jar sauce I used and be super spicy. As dgson is here for tea don't want to spoil it.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 1st Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 2,793 Posts
    • 18,006 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    wort your curry should be fine in the slowcooker but it will probably on take about 3 hours, an hour on high and a couple of hours on low and see if the chicken is cooked, if you are using breast chunks it should be.
    kittie that's definitely the downside of batch cooking when you are CFO having a freezer full of meals you don't really fancy anymore
    I think last night was the coldest it's been here, it's still -2C outside though it's nice and bright and sunny. The forecast is for it warm up with mist/fog this evening and the rain's back tomorrow.

Just had toast and cheese spread for breakfast and lunch will be the last of the goulash soup. I'm not sure about tonight yet. I'm off to get a batch of lentil soup into the slow cooker for tomorrow night. It can cook away while I potter on with the cleaning
    • kittie
    • By kittie 1st Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 11,383 Posts
    • 64,928 Thanks
    kittie
    yes, I have one rm in the oven for now caronc, I`ve got to be doing the freezer list this afternoon or, before I know it, I will have duplicates of duplicates. Sun is blazing in just now and I have been going around wiping marks that seemed to have suddenly appeared. That has decided me, what to do over christmas, other than have my 1 or 2 days out and watching dvds. Cleaning, I have to do that deep clean before selling, so thats going to be my job for the hols. I`ll make a chart and do a bit every day and I`ll also include touching up with paint. Needs to be done at some stage and it will keep the positivity going. I mean corners and using proper paint cleaner and white wax crayon to hide the 2 small cracks I noticed in some painted wood. I am noticing everything today and don`t get me going about windows

Next property will be more accessible so I am going to have a widow cleaner and an occasional cleaner, just now and then to do top to bottom

Caronc, cheese!!! I am gagging for some real strong golden cows cheese on toast, its on my list
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 1st Dec 17, 12:19 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    AndyCF
    To me, simple living means living close to a shop that sells ready made sausage rolls

That's simple!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Before our local Co-Op became a B+M, their own branded ones were half reasonable. It was sometimes a bit hit/miss but on the whole they were quite good. Perhaps strangely from what I recall the 'snack size 6 or 12 packs' tasted better than the 'normal size' packs of 4 or whatever.

Now out of range unfortunately, but the ones the brilliant local butcher has in (made there with real sausage-meat) are brilliant but they are expensive about 80p each but they are awesome. I must see about grabbing a couple next week as I fancy a few of cooked meat slices as well during next week.

Blimey, what will power, which is why I never buy share bags of anything
    Originally posted by Farway
    Oh its not that, its just I think I might turn various shades if I sat and ate a whole 100g or 150g bag in one sitting
    The ones I got from M's they either are well done on the edges or sometimes more likely still have a bit of the skin on which is quite nice anyway.

I've not yet been able to face those 'frozen vegetarian hot dogs' I've had since about August either yet, they seemed like a good idea at the time, have decent reviews but I've not really been in the mood for them. I was just really more in a 'micro cook sausage' mindframe at the time I think rather than them being either veggie sausage or traditional and as I noted the micro instructions on the pack as well as the usual "on the hob" directions I grabbed them.

I think I should of just grabbed a pack of frozen LM's sausages (instead of dogs) as last time I tried them they were quite nice and they "look" like they are cooked even when they are still frozen.

Compared to a different supermarkets 'own brand' veg-burgers which (to be fair a few years ago now) came out of a normal oven both greyish and a bit horrible.

Bit mixed up today as for some reason I thought it was Friday yesterday hmm. Oh well.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 1st Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    • 60,995 Posts
    • 356,277 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I polished off the final two sausage rolls, as a breakfast .... and just had a late lunch of beans on toast with the last bit of cheese as I had 10 grams of cheese that needed using up, so thought I'd sprinkle that over the beans

Living the high life!

Sausages/mash later probably.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 1st Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 7,782 Thanks
    Farway
    Blimey, I think the wind now comes directly from Moscow, it was bitter when I went out this morning, despite the sun. Should've had porridge to make me glow like I was from Chernobyl, but I skipped breakfast

Nothing YS to tempt in Lild, but did get Christmas pre packed beetroot, dated until well into 2018, and a pint of UHT milk. I never have UHT milk but just thinking should I be stuck in over winter at least won't have to struggle out just for milk, and if not used and I at last manage to perfect making a nice rice pud it can go in that

Lunch was back to cheese salad sarnie time

Dinner will be the now defrosted chilli con carne

I think I should of just grabbed a pack of frozen LM's sausages (instead of dogs) as last time I tried them they were quite nice and they "look" like they are cooked even when they are still frozen.

Compared to a different supermarkets 'own brand' veg-burgers which (to be fair a few years ago now) came out of a normal oven both greyish and a bit horrible.
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    LM veg sausages are the only ones I like, and if you have never tried, her veg pies are also excellnt

I have tried all types of veggie burger, they just do not do it for me, having said that I am off burgers generally at the moment

kittie, appetite changes, mine has done the same, which is why I have to make an effort to eat some fresh veg, and do try and eat salad, even if it is only tomato / lettuce / cuc type
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 1st Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Living the high life!
    No harm in that

Sausages/mash later probably.
    That does lead me onto a slightly odd thought, the times I've done sausage + mash but its occurred to me why not 'add something' to the mash too, even if its just a sprinkle of peas or sweetcorn or something hmm. Another idea.

LM veg sausages are the only ones I like, and if you have never tried, her veg pies are also excellnt

I have tried all types of veggie burger, they just do not do it for me, having said that I am off burgers generally at the moment

kittie, appetite changes, mine has done the same, which is why I have to make an effort to eat some fresh veg, and do try and eat salad, even if it is only tomato / lettuce / cuc type
    Originally posted by Farway
    It has been a while and I'd have to micro them although it seems quite sensible to do this with those. I did read on one site someone ate them once they were defrosted ( ) which sounds a step too far and not a brilliant idea. I'd want them hot

I have heard mixed results about the pies although it may of been another brand, same as the sausage rolls. I will however take a look at the LM pie and a few other brands too. I think its what I'd call "The Marmite Effect" in that it may be a love/hate thing perhaps, but then again people tend to write neg reviews more than positive as if its good not many will say so compared to not good.

No idea on food for later I think I'll have to try to run down a few bits for next weeks order so I have a sensible match of items. That may mean I have to have soup and / or potato's tonight with some sweetcorn, then again none of those options are bad news.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 1st Dec 17, 4:17 PM
    • 14,246 Posts
    • 38,576 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Right now I'm doing a slowcooker recipe I saw on "A Girl Called Jack" blog - cheapie (well....add in those organic price premiums) one of onions/canned tomatoes/canned lentils/tomato sauce (trans. tomato puree)/garlic/salt and pepper she didnt mention and it's supposed to all be luscious courtesy of the long cooking.

Time will tell. Will probably get a couple of potatoes baking up in the oven in a minute to be baked potatoes to go with it.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 1st Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    • 60,995 Posts
    • 356,277 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've a "fear" of lentils. I remember as a child mum'd cook some orange ones and make a "broth" with a salty ham ... in the pressure cooker. Not for me! I don't like salty ham foods.... or briney looking liquid.

So I was put off lentils.

As a CFO I can't "try" them else that'd generate a lot of waste if I despised them and spat out the first mouthful

It has felt bitterly cold all day today - I've had the heating on!! And still I can't feel my feet.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 1st Dec 17, 4:50 PM
    • 2,793 Posts
    • 18,006 Thanks
    caronc
    Right now I'm doing a slowcooker recipe I saw on "A Girl Called Jack" blog - cheapie (well....add in those organic price premiums) one of onions/canned tomatoes/canned lentils/tomato sauce (trans. tomato puree)/garlic/salt and pepper she didnt mention and it's supposed to all be luscious courtesy of the long cooking.

Time will tell. Will probably get a couple of potatoes baking up in the oven in a minute to be baked potatoes to go with it.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    oh that sounds tasty
    I've a "fear" of lentils. I remember as a child mum'd cook some orange ones and make a "broth" with a salty ham ... in the pressure cooker. Not for me! I don't like salty ham foods.... or briney looking liquid.

So I was put off lentils.

As a CFO I can't "try" them else that'd generate a lot of waste if I despised them and spat out the first mouthful

It has felt bitterly cold all day today - I've had the heating on!! And still I can't feel my feet.
    My slow cooker is currently full of your worst nightmare, lentil soup made with a ham hock
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 1st Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    • 14,246 Posts
    • 38,576 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Errrm...well it aint orange lentils. Twas brown (or possibly green?) pre-cooked lentils in that can.

It's smelling quite nice right now - courtesy of the garlic in it (though she specified 6 cloves garlic - for 2 helpings!!!!!! - and so I amended it to one fat clove of garlic).

It IS particularly cold today - yep...in gloves weather for sure. Been re-arranging bedroom today to be that bit more "cosy". I can now have extra "soft" lighting controllable from sitting in bed and better able to do the "soft music thing" controlled from my bed. Guess that's my definition of trying to "cosy up" a bit for winter....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 01-12-2017 at 5:00 PM.

• kittie
    • By kittie 1st Dec 17, 5:24 PM
    • 11,383 Posts
    • 64,928 Thanks
    kittie
    Farway, good to know that it happens to others, a smaller appetite certainly keeps the mind focused ie on eating the right foods, so I chucked yesterdays soup away, all of it and also the extra potato that I had baked. There was potato in the soup and most times it would have been nice but I could not have faced the gloop today, no point beating myself up about it, it would just have been staring at me, a great big bowl of it.

I had cold rataouille with feta, sounds gross but was actually very tasty because of the herbs. I only had 1/4 of my ready meal at lunchtime, picked out the turkey chunk and the pancetta and the beans. lol I still downed my 85% chocolate though. Its been a good day foodwise in all honesty. I think I prefer this to scoffing all those crisps
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 1st Dec 17, 6:17 PM
    • 14,246 Posts
    • 38,576 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Verdict on that slowcooker recipe I've just done - it's certainly garlick-y all right (that's with one fat clove of garlic - rather than the 6 cloves she said).

But - it was actually quite tasty - after that 1 hour on high and then musta been about 3 hours on low. Eaten with a bit of bread in the event (as CBA to do baked potatoes). In my case - I threw a bit of nutritional yeast over the top of it (in lieu of grated cheese).

Not bad for basically cheap ingredients....

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,728Posts Today

6,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin