Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,763Posts
    • 17,848Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
Page 158
    • wort
    • By wort 30th Nov 17, 4:15 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 7,113 Thanks
    wort
    Home from work perished! And hungry ,so I've put a gf breaded chicken fillet and a potato rosti in the oven, I'll have those on a roll possibly two, with lettuce ,cheese garlic mayo and tomato sauce.

Andy- my favourite crisp are black pepper and sea salt only problem is they only seem to be done in big bags, and once it's open its gone!!
    We're they kettle crisp? I like them but most supermarkets do their own brand, which are good.

Just waiting for the oven to ping ,but will have to disrupt, the cat who is sat on my chest! Making it very difficult to type !!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 30th Nov 17, 4:51 PM
    • 14,193 Posts
    • 38,495 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Money, I have just replied to PM, missed it until now
    Originally posted by Farway
    Thanks Farway.

Sent reply back.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 30th Nov 17, 4:53 PM
    • 14,193 Posts
    • 38,495 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Just waiting for the oven to ping ,but will have to disrupt, the cat who is sat on my chest! Making it very difficult to type !!!
    Originally posted by wort
    That's cats for you

Which reminds me - we've not heard recently from poster with the cats that "go swimming" at intervals in the canal - ie Girl Cat and Boy Cat.
    #MeToo

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 30th Nov 17, 6:19 PM
    • 60,947 Posts
    • 356,011 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm ffff-ffff-ffff-ing fff-ffff-fff-reezing

Had another 2 hot sausage rolls and I've even turned the heating on, but can't feel the bottom half of my arms or my feet! brrr.... hoping things warm up soon. Thermometer says it's a balmy 65F/18C in here, but outside temperature's dropping like a stone.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 30th Nov 17, 6:20 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Andy- my favourite crisp are black pepper and sea salt only problem is they only seem to be done in big bags, and once it's open its gone!!
    We're they kettle crisp? I like them but most supermarkets do their own brand, which are good.
    Originally posted by wort
    Ah yes they are 'big share bag' however I just use a freezer bag (the 'zip' ones) to place said bag in after munching a few.

They were Morr's, not tried the Kettle ones yet.

The Famous brand 'cracker crisps' again salt/pepper are very nice too but a bit too much money unless they are on offer sadly. Worth a £1 as its a decent size but (imo) not worth the normal full price.

Decided to save the 'Waffle experiment' for the weekend I think.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 30th Nov 17, 7:23 PM
    • 5,724 Posts
    • 7,702 Thanks
    Farway
    Ah yes they are 'big share bag' however I just use a freezer bag (the 'zip' ones) to place said bag in after munching a few.
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    Blimey, what will power, which is why I never buy share bags of anything

The dinner was fail sort of. The chilli con carne was still frozen despite being out, so popped int fridge to defrost and eat tomorrow

Plan B was go, chicken in black bean sauce, ready and pinged in 7 minutes
    I had it with HM chips
    Followed by sliced fresh Clementine & banana with Greek yoghurt & honey

Money, sent PM
    • caronc
    • By caronc 30th Nov 17, 7:28 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    As the song goes "Baby it's cold outside", as soon as the sun went everywhere started to get frosty. Pretty to look at but I'm very glad I don't have to out.
    Continued with my cleaning mission this afternoon, didn't manage to get as much done as yesterday but the kitchen & dining room are certainly much cleaner and tidier than they were. Also managed to get the back outside windows washed early, just need to get one of the boys to tackle the insides when they are home. Tomorrow I want to have a thorough hoover in these rooms so I'll be wrestling with Henry (oh er missus) instead of my wee light weight upright and then I'll bleach the floors and wipe down the units.

The ham hock has been pressure cooked for stock (and meat) to make lentil soup tomorrow ready for my visitors on Saturday. I was going to make bread but might just order a crusty bloomer with my shopping as on Saturday I'll need to clean the bathroom & lounge and get myself presentable. I'm sure the girls won't care.

I'm looking forward to my haggis, neeps and tatties in a bit while I'm watching Masterchef
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • caronc
    • By caronc 30th Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    caronc
    As an aside they sell Kettle chips in small bag multipacks as well often for SO for £1. Of the cheapie crisps I like the Tesco Value Ready Salted (I've not tried the varied flavours as not keen on cheese & onion), the bags are small (18g) but enough for a nibble and at 66p for 12 packs don't break the bank and I think they taste like a more expensive crisp. They contain potatoes, sunflower and salt so no extra additives.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 30th Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 12,889 Thanks
    karcher
    The ham hock has been pressure cooked for stock (and meat) to make lentil soup tomorrow ready for my visitors on Saturday. I was going to make bread but might just order a crusty bloomer with my shopping as on Saturday I'll need to clean the bathroom & lounge and get myself presentable. I'm sure the girls won't care.

I'm looking forward to my haggis, neeps and tatties in a bit while I'm watching Masterchef
    Originally posted by caronc
    Just order it, you have enough to do without making bread too.

I'm absolutely sure the 'girls' won't care.

Got room for a another at the dinner table? ..I would so love to sit down to a proper meal with others, especially when it's cooked by someone else

Enjoy caron
    • caronc
    • By caronc 30th Nov 17, 7:51 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    caronc
    Just order it, you have enough to do without making bread too.

I'm absolutely sure the 'girls' won't care.

Got room for a another at the dinner table? ..I would so love to sit down to a proper meal with others, especially when it's cooked by someone else

Enjoy caron
    Originally posted by karcher
    There's always room for another in my house
    • karcher
    • By karcher 30th Nov 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 12,889 Thanks
    karcher
    There's always room for another in my house
    Might take you up on that one day caron
    • caronc
    • By caronc 30th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    caronc
    Might take you up on that one day caron
    Aim for the summer and save packing your thermals
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 30th Nov 17, 8:27 PM
    • 14,193 Posts
    • 38,495 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I admit I was thinking "It's rather colder up where caron is #shivers "

But we may all decide on a group visit to Scotland yet. What ya' like at vegetarian food caron?
    #MeToo

• karcher
    • By karcher 30th Nov 17, 8:41 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 12,889 Thanks
    karcher
    Aim for the summer and save packing your thermals
    Thermals go with me wherever I go. I feel the cold even in the summer
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 30th Nov 17, 9:02 PM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,237 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Adding my birthday wishes to those for PN.
    I've just remembered celebrating the St Andrew's Day 21st birthday of a friend's son, at a lovely pub-restaurant that became a private home, some years ago. So many of our local hostelries have just vanished.

Today was a 'CBA but must have something hot day', so it was A!di tortellini with one of their new stir-in sauces.

I then had a luxury dark choccie and ginger biccie. It was lovely, melted in the mouth.
    Amazon sent me some revamped SlimFast to try, so that's come in handy lately for brekkie on CBA days. It's much thicker than the standard stuff, like a luxury milkshake.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 30th Nov 17, 9:37 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    caronc
    Thermals go with me wherever I go. I feel the cold even in the summer
    Always sensible in this part of the world as you never know what to expect. Packing for holidays when the kids were small always seemed to involve fleeces, hot water bottles, shorts & suncream. Covered most eventualities
    • caronc
    • By caronc 30th Nov 17, 9:40 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    caronc
    I admit I was thinking "It's rather colder up where caron is #shivers "

But we may all decide on a group visit to Scotland yet. What ya' like at vegetarian food caron?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Veggie no problem, vegan/gf/dairy free/nut free I can do if required though might need plenty of notice ......
    • caronc
    • By caronc 30th Nov 17, 9:43 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    caronc
    Amazon sent me some revamped SlimFast to try, so that's come in handy lately for brekkie on CBA days. It's much thicker than the standard stuff, like a luxury milkshake.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    SlimFast unfortunately "gives me the boke" (makes me gag) as they sound here as do thickened milkshakes or anything of that ilk. It's the texture, not sure why as I'm fine with semolina pudding or even "Farola" so not sure why
    • karcher
    • By karcher 30th Nov 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 12,889 Thanks
    karcher
    Always sensible in this part of the world as you never know what to expect. Packing for holidays when the kids were small always seemed to involve fleeces, hot water bottles, shorts & suncream. Covered most eventualities
    You forgot the midge spray

x
    Last edited by karcher; 30-11-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 30th Nov 17, 10:07 PM
    • 4,966 Posts
    • 45,436 Thanks
    meg72
    Happy Birthday PN glad you got your sausage rolls.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin