Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,794Posts
    • 18,012Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
Page 157
    • kittie
    • By kittie 30th Nov 17, 8:29 AM
    • 11,383 Posts
    • 64,943 Thanks
    kittie
    happy birthday PN and many of them

The small meal last night worked very well, no waking up with any sign of anything to do with heartburn. Same for last meal today, not an interesting meal but certainly tummy soothing

I`m just about to soak some green veg in veggie wash, to make sure it is spotless, I normally was in plain water, then a veggie drink as needs must this morning. Lunch is salad veg plus chopped cold potato with pinto beans. Breakfast was very nice, oats and two chopped dried apricots all soaked in water all night, LO milk added and all cooked. Much nicer than expected, I`ll be making that again. Snack will be stewed apple and berries with one whole yogurt, which has again turned out thick and creamy to my delight
    • caronc
    • By caronc 30th Nov 17, 8:57 AM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 18,012 Thanks
    caronc
    Happy Birthday PN x
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • wort
    • By wort 30th Nov 17, 10:08 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 7,194 Thanks
    wort
    Up late so no breakfast ,I was awake quite a few times in the night, the weather is icy here, so much so that the ch kicked in around 6 am.
    Just had spicy chicken salad sandwich before work, I'll take a muller apple rice to work and warm in micro before I start at 11 am.
    I reckon I'll need it to warm me after the walk!! Got my many layers on, you wouldn't think I worked inside!!
    Not sure what to have for tea, but I'm making curry tomorrow in the sc, as dgson is coming after school. I'm going to get the chicken out of freezer now as it'll need extra time to defrost in the Arctic conditions,

For you PN ---again happy birthday
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 30th Nov 17, 10:26 AM
    • 60,997 Posts
    • 356,284 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I was awake/up before it got light. Frosty .... so not going to go outside at all! I had entertained ideas of a random womble around... but not if it's cold

Had a very late breakfast of toast, beans and scrambled eggs as it's a belly filling warmer.

Doughnuts for an early lunch.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 30th Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 18,012 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Very cold and icy. I doubt it will get much above freezing today and minus -3 is forecasted for after dark. Still it's lovely and bright just now which is so much better than the horrible weather.
    No breakfast as having goulash soup again for lunch and I realised when I emptied the pot into tubs last night that there is enough to do tomorrow's lunch as well. Although it's contained quite a lot of ingredients including stewing steak I got six portions out of it so it's worked out a really economical dish. I reckon around 60p per portion which isn't bad
    Haggis, neeps and tatties tonight in recognition of St. Andrew's Day
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 30th Nov 17, 11:07 AM
    • 967 Posts
    • 8,415 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Thanks for all your well wishes and I am feeling a bit more human today. I am so glad I made the effort to go out yesterday as there is now a good 2-3 inches of snow lying and frequent showers since I got up, at the moment I just couldn't face having to get the snow shuffle out.

My appetite has returned but I'm craving highly flavoured foods. Had a ginger and lemon infusion to start then some cinnamon porridge with prunes. I'm thinking chicken curry from the freezer for later and I have loads of fruit that needs eating.

N2bt, omg you do sound poorly. Have you got vicks to rub on your neck, so at least you can try and get a little sleep. If you have vicks, then rub some on your feet and put socks on before bed. Put something in your bedroom to add a little humidity, wet flannel, dish of water perhaps. Its such a shame that you had to go out. I went out today, main reason was to get two poxy packets of paracetamol, 16 doses in total. 4 days worth. I only got them to have in, just in case and next time I go anywhere, I am stopping off to get 2 more packs.
    Originally posted by kittie
    I was thinking the other day about the winter remedies mother had in used to give us, vicks was a constant, as was malt extract - a dessertspoonful eaten like a lollypop as well as a vit c tablet. I really must stock up on these again.
    Oct GC = £49.92/£60.00
    Nov GC = £55.48/£60.00
    Dec GC = £47.15/£70.00
    • caronc
    • By caronc 30th Nov 17, 11:09 AM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 18,012 Thanks
    caronc
    I was thinking the other day about the winter remedies mother had in used to give us, vicks was a constant, as was malt extract - a dessertspoonful eaten like a lollypop as well as a vit c tablet. I really must stock up on these again.
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    Are you my sister? Vicks, malt extract and honey/butter balls were the cure all when I was wee along with Disprin!
    Glad you are feeling a bit better.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 30th Nov 17, 11:22 AM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 4,814 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    happy birthday pn
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 30th Nov 17, 11:48 AM
    • 60,997 Posts
    • 356,284 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It's not even noon and both doughnuts are long gone!
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 30th Nov 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 9,908 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Just popped in to say Happy Birthday PN I hope that you have a good day, and enjoy your doughnuts .
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 30th Nov 17, 1:29 PM
    • 60,997 Posts
    • 356,284 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It's been sunny all day, but nippy.

Starving now .... might pop out for some sausage rolls in a bit.

0 cards, 0 presents, 0 calls. *sighs*... the perils of "for one"
    • Farway
    • By Farway 30th Nov 17, 2:43 PM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 7,786 Thanks
    Farway
    "It's been sunny all day, but nippy.

Starving now .... might pop out for some sausage rolls in a bit.

0 cards, 0 presents, 0 calls. *sighs*... the perils of "for one"
    "

Happy birthday PN, Not managed to sort out how to do multiple quotes yet, enjoy your birthday sausage rolls

Weather same here, no breakfast
    Morries today, I wanted a LED Edison screw base light bulb, and I knew they stocked them, seem very popular, I had the last one.
    This time I avoided the doughnut trap, but fell for the 2 packs for 80p biscuits

Lunch was last of yesterday's tuna /mayo in a sarnie with salad bits

Dinner, the weather is pie sort and I had intended something on those lines, but CBA now so oiked a Lild YS chilli con carne out of the freezer, bunged in there April, so due an outing.
    Defrosting on the metal draining board, if it is still frozen by dinner time I will resort to ping from frozen chicken & black bean

My crisp sarnie was chicken, Lild crisps, OK, but I think crisps are another of the food items that branded is best. I still have 5 packs left but if I fancy more I'll buy a branded pack next time

Rice pudding is calling again, next time I will try it in slow cooker. I would do it now but not enough time left

I just made my third batch of yogurt, still using the same culture ie I started with half a yogurt. Its fab yogurt, very thick and creamy because I make it with grahams jersey milk which is homogenised so is faff free. If it keeps going like this then the yogurt maker will pay for itself very quickly
    Originally posted by kittie
    I'm still prowling the charity shops for my one
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 30th Nov 17, 3:06 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    AndyCF
    All those feeling a bit unwell / green / under the weather (pick an appropriate one) hope you start to feel a bit better soon.

I'm a traditionalist.... Walkers Cheese/Onion .... Tomato Ketchup as a Xmas treat, but you can only really get those at 4sda, where I go for Xmas food shopping, just to get them.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Got to admit I have been trying slightly different ones lately (bear in mind my 'shop' is typically every 4-6 weeks) although I really enjoyed some sea salt / pepper crisps I tried a while ago.

Oh Happy Birthday )

Food things: Well while I was looking for a half decent brand bag of mixed frozen veg in the local shop, I spotted they had some waffles in which is quite rare so I grabbed a box. Have a vague idea of tipping either a bit of mince onto them or perhaps just sprinking them with some warmed up mixed veg. Gravy optional, probably not as that will involve another pot.

I've not tried zapping waffles before so I'm planning on 3 min / turn over / 3 min / turn over and repeat once more then examine as given their size / shape its a halfway house (as I see it) between the usual methods of zapping normal or thin frozen chips vs thick ones.

Lunch was merely a quick veg soup today and a small bag of ready salted crisps after.

I also looked locally for mixed beans or similar too without luck so I'll bag some on the online shop for next week.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 30th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    • 14,249 Posts
    • 38,592 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Lunch today - errrm....not happened yet. Obviously not going to happen

Trying to resolve a "You can do it" comment made to me by local (male) building firm person about something - and I took it literally.

Because that's what I do - ie take comments literally....whoops...you'd a thunk I'd a learnt by now to wonder what someone actually means from their pov - rather than interpreting dead literally exactly as the words they used said....

Awaiting a "little man that can" to phone me (I do hope/fingers crossed) to see whether I can throw some money at him and he will be this "YOU that can" for me.

'Fink I'd better go and get some toast and fruit for myself. It'll have to do as food - for now. "Life as normal (wazzat?)" will resume at some point..... Back to the logical deciding of "I will do this" and then "I will do that".....one day....
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 30th Nov 17, 3:29 PM
    • 60,997 Posts
    • 356,284 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Still not bothered getting dressed.... if I don't go out for sausage rolls soon I never will... odds aren't good, unless I get a sudden rush of "do it immediately" juice.

I think I'll regret it if I don't bother....
    • elona
    • By elona 30th Nov 17, 3:31 PM
    • 11,321 Posts
    • 60,686 Thanks
    elona
    Pastures

Happy birthday and I hope you manage to do something nice for yourself even if just doughnuts.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 30th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 7,786 Thanks
    Farway
    Awaiting a "little man that can" to phone me (I do hope/fingers crossed) to see whether I can throw some money at him and he will be this "YOU that can" for me.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention

Money, I have just replied to PM, missed it until now
    • karcher
    • By karcher 30th Nov 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 13,063 Thanks
    karcher
    Many happy returns PN

Have some more
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 30th Nov 17, 4:02 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    poppystar
    Happy birthday PN

Happy St Andrew's Day caronc
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 30th Nov 17, 4:11 PM
    • 60,997 Posts
    • 356,284 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I went. Sitting here now with two hot sausage rolls beside me - and a hot black coffee. I walked, so needed the warm up!

Disappointed at L1dl - out of oven chips, compartment empty - and I specifically looked for the chilli as I was going to treat myself to one of those, but, not only were there none present, but there was also NO shelf label for them - it looks like they've disappeared!

So I just got a pack of sausage rolls, loaf of bread and some fizzy pop.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

3,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin