PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I swear every time I go through to the kitchen I "discover" something that really should be eaten :)

I had a little tidy up - removed the last red onion from the bag I bought "some time ago", the date on the front of the bag said "1 July", the final onion's still firm/solid, so they lasted well. I've just bought another 1Kg of onions (white this time), so they'll be lurkers for the next 2-3 months!

1/4 of a swede.

3 packets of crisps I hate .... I'll use those to top something I bake at some random point ... or even suffer and eat them. Lamb & Mint they are - the taste was too strong and the crisps too "hard", I really had to bite into them before they'd snap, so not a pleasant eat at all.

The fridge has a whole head of broccoli, a slice of emmental, half a tin of beans....

There's also some vacuum-packed part-baked baguettes where the packet's really sucking in now and getting tight.

I ate another two sausage rolls :) That's four today. I do like a sausage roll :)
  • PasturesNew
    ... unlikely to get a job at my my age. I know it is unlawful to discriminate against someone on the basis of age, but the one thing I am is realistic.

I'm about to become your age. I have the same reservations you do about age/realism. My CV's great, but when I turn up at interview the chirpy youngsters, in their modern offices, really don't wish to choose to work alongside somebody older than their mum :) ... when they could have the better looking/younger person who likes to do Zumba and does Fun Runs at weekends.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 29 September 2017 at 4:27PM
    ..... spag bog (I was thinking of making the sauce before I went out) ....

I've got a Shabby Moo Recipe for that. (Shabby Moo = my name for my idle "shove it together and nuke it" style)...

I keep the tomato sauce I drain from tinned tomatoes and lob it in the freezer. One pot of that (I've usually kept/got 1-2 portions), a handful of 4ldi frozen aberdeen angus beef mince, a half onion (fresh or one I chopped/froze earlier when I peeled one and didn't need it all), splash of Worcs sauce.... consider a tiny 1/5th teaspoon of flour to thicken the sauce; nuke alongside the spaghetti as that's cooked in a dish of water. If you're the sort that has wine - and that freezes it - then an ice cube of red wine in the mix probably wouldn't hurt.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 29 September 2017 at 6:53PM
    I liked the idea of that spag bol so much .... I'm now eating one :)

EDIT: Oh that was nice.... and quick/easy. Only used 40g spaghetti and 40g beef and 15g of onion. Tiny quantities, but it's a plateful once made. I topped it with a bit of grated cheddar ... some I bought in a L1dl weekend special about 2½ months ago.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,190 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic

Dinner was a toss up between spag bog (I was thinking of making the sauce before I went out) or using my emergency pizza in the freezer for dinner tonight, and I've gone for the pizza. At least it creates a bit of space in the freezer :).

A sensible choice made there, we all need emergency things somewhere for just such an occasion. I have a Fray Bentos pie, it would need North Korean attack for me to open it as I sit huddled in my non shelter

All the bits were used up for dinner, including a head of broccoli,most of which was suitable for compost heap :o

Pud was one of my apples, plus a scrumped pear from next door, both cut chunky & raw. With Greek yoghurt & honey. That is 6 a day just from the dinner + 3 from lunch. Yay for me:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway wrote: »
    A sensible choice made there, we all need emergency things somewhere for just such an occasion. I have a Fray Bentos pie, it would need North Korean attack for me to open it as I sit huddled in my non shelter
    I'm with you on this one :). As you've said on here, it really is one of those things best left in your past and not re-visited. I have to confess, I used to love them in the late 1970s early 1980s :D.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 September 2017 at 8:18PM
    Farway wrote: »

If your lurgy is like mine, it will be all over in a few days, I am feeling much better today, hope you will to
    Thank you - paracetomel is definitely helping damp down the hot/cold flipflops :)
    I've been to the hospital again, so I'm having a bit of a CBA day food wise.

Hospital appointments are so exhausting, sensible decision to have a CBA dinner:)
    I liked the idea of that spag bol so much .... I'm now eating one :)

EDIT: Oh that was nice.... and quick/easy. Only used 40g spaghetti and 40g beef and 15g of onion. Tiny quantities, but it's a plateful once made. I topped it with a bit of grated cheddar ... some I bought in a L1dl weekend special about 2½ months ago.
    Sounds tasty, I cba cooking one portion of things like spag bol sauce has to be a bit pot or nothing for me:).

I thought a snooze might help the lurgy this afternoon but all I did was splutter and cough so decided if I was going to feel yuk anyway I may as well do something. Can't say I had a huge amount of oomph but managed to tidy up my tomatoes in hanging baskets which are still going strong but looking a bit straggly and skinned 2+kg of ripe tomatoes and portioned & froze them. I've frozen them in approx 1 can amounts, kept the plum ones whole and the rest I've chopped.
    My meat order arrived and the stuff looks lovely so tonight it's a pork chop with pepper sauce, sliced fried potatoes, flat mushroom, runner beans and pepper sauce. Despite the lurgy I'm hungry and want something fresh and tasty :D. They'll be sauce LO which I'll either freeze or use as a good excuse to have a piece of steak tomorrow:cool:

ETA - didn't bother with the pepper sauce CBA standing and stirring!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm with you on this one :). As you've said on here, it really is one of those things best left in your past and not re-visited. I have to confess, I used to love them in the late 1970s early 1980s :D.
    So did I until I tried one recently, all salt and grease ...... The other one was given to my Dad who still likes them!
  • That was dinner then.

Large slice of honeydew melon. Then couscous with tahini sauce, steamed spinach, tomatoes (from own garden), olives and prettified up with nigella seeds and sumac.

Followed by glass of rice milk.

Shall be glad when I've got some more days of healthy eating back "under my belt" - as still noticeably more tired than normal. Had 2 hour nap this afternoon:(
  • I think next week I am going to do a meal plan as I've noticed that I lose a lot of energy throughout the day and need to have some easy dinners to make. This thread has been quite helpful to notice how I eat!:)

Last night I had a (veggie) hot dog in a bun with ketchup. I was going to have sweetcorn and coleslaw with it, but I was too knackered to make it.

I'm going to cook some (frozen) sweetcorn during the day and keep a bowl of it in the fridge and maybe chop up some carrot and red pepper sticks as well so I have them ready.

Breakfast today will be seeded toast with the rest of the ackee. I've had a banana and tea already.

I have leftover quinoa so I will have that for lunch today with veggies and some Quorn nuggets. I will also have some nuts and a piece of fruit and a glass of almond milk.
    caronc wrote: »
    T
    I thought a snooze might help the lurgy this afternoon but all I did was splutter and cough

Aw, sorry you are feeling ill.xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport