Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,795Posts
    • 18,030Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
Page 156
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 29th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 61,004 Posts
    • 356,305 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... Christmas cleaning....
    Originally posted by caronc
    Never heard of it.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 29th Nov 17, 12:52 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    AndyCF
    I was going to start a new thread but I felt it was not worthwhile. I wonder if someone can help with a erm 'basic bean' question.

I don't really like tomato sauce or bbq sauce either but I'd like some baked beans. It is not that easy to get them without it seems however, looking around I'm quite confused by the tins/packs available:

Haricot , Cannellini , ButterBean , Broad , Flagelot , Chickpea , BlackEye , Borlotti and various others I've not heard of. Those ones listed are really the 'easy to get' ones for next weeks shopping.

Haricot seems to be the favourite although there are a few 'mixes' which look interesting too. I'm actually looking at Morr's availability.

Any recommendations please ? All I really am looking for is something I can either tip into water or as more likely already in a tin I can simply warm up and tip onto my other bits, most likely a cheeky baked potato or mash.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 29th Nov 17, 1:33 PM
    • 14,255 Posts
    • 38,618 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Personally - I keep a few cans of beans in (though my preference is cooking up my own and one can cook them up in batches and store in the freezer).

I think the "basics" are chickpeas (most definitely - as they can be used in a variety of ways - notably to make your own hummus very easily).

I also use canned haricot beans (think they are the "baked beans" beans) and canned kidney beans (useful for chillis for instance).

Also handy to have in a can or two of lentils - green ones or brown ones. The black ones are if you're being a bit "posh".
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 29th Nov 17, 1:33 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 8,426 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    I was going to start a new thread but I felt it was not worthwhile. I wonder if someone can help with a erm 'basic bean' question.

I don't really like tomato sauce or bbq sauce either but I'd like some baked beans. It is not that easy to get them without it seems however, looking around I'm quite confused by the tins/packs available:

Haricot , Cannellini , ButterBean , Broad , Flagelot , Chickpea , BlackEye , Borlotti and various others I've not heard of. Those ones listed are really the 'easy to get' ones for next weeks shopping.

Haricot seems to be the favourite although there are a few 'mixes' which look interesting too. I'm actually looking at Morr's availability.

Any recommendations please ? All I really am looking for is something I can either tip into water or as more likely already in a tin I can simply warm up and tip onto my other bits, most likely a cheeky baked potato or mash.
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    Buy the cheapest tin of baked beans, put them in a sieve to drain and rinse of the tomato sauce - voila ready cooked haricot beans to add to whatever you fancy, make bean burgers, falafel - Jack Munr0e has quite a few recipes using this method.
    Oct GC = £49.92/£60.00
    Nov GC = £55.48/£60.00
    Dec GC = £47.15/£70.00
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 29th Nov 17, 2:03 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Thank you both. It is appreciated.

I can't belive I overlooked one obvious thing either, simply rinse the sauce off. Talk about "not seeing the woods for the trees"

I may try both ideas and also try a tin of the 'mixed' as there appear to be 5 types and its 50 odd pence for a tin of these so its worth a 'try' I think.

I had planned to mix said beans with some sweetcorn and peas and maybe a few chopped baby carrots, and then use as a 'filling' for mash or perhaps add to a baked potato instead.

The other idea / thought I had, was to try the beans in a tiny bit of decent gravy actually, by this I mean once they are 'ready' add to hot gravy and then empty out, so that in effect they would be 'beans in gravy' instead of 'beans in sauce' hmm I think it is worth a try to see how it turns out. I could use half a tin to trial it I suppose ?
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 29th Nov 17, 2:18 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 8,426 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    I can't remember the last time I felt this bad, I normally throw off the worst of a cold within a couple of days but this is day 3 and no improvement. I've only ever had the flu once in my life I think it was about 1968/69 I was in primary school anyway.

So the food plan has completely gone out the window - Monday consisted of about 2lts of water, an effervescent vitamin c tablet, paracetamol and a clementine but it was so difficult to swallow it felt like swallowing broken glass. Tuesday another vit c tablet, paracetamol, copious amounts of water & hot blackcurrant juice, managed to get out of bed and nuked a portion of soup and that was it.

I was beginning to run out of paracetamol so this morning had a shower, got dressed, had vit c and paracetamol and by then was absolutely shattered but I needed to go to the supermarket, so I've not long had cheesy mashed potatoes which were disappointing - I cant taste anything - and I'm really tired now so going back to bed hope those that were poorly are on the mend.
    Oct GC = £49.92/£60.00
    Nov GC = £55.48/£60.00
    Dec GC = £47.15/£70.00
    • Farway
    • By Farway 29th Nov 17, 2:50 PM
    • 5,745 Posts
    • 7,790 Thanks
    Farway
    I've been up since 5.30am).... no particular reason to get up except I was awake and there was nothing else to do than to "get up" rather than closing my eyes and lying there.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Same here, I wonder if something flew low over the South Coast and woke us?
    I know Concorde sometimes used to fly over on the way to Heathrow

I sometimes listen to R4 if I wake early, I know all about Farming Today, actually I find it quite interesting at times, Glyphosate and EU, GM versus Gene Editing anyone?

Because I was up early I had loads of time, so breakfast was Jumbo oats porridge, with sliced clementine, Greek yoghurt & honey. How healthy is that to start the day

The good start continued in Asda, YS bananas, I was actually going to buy some at full price today, seems my luck was in, 20p for about 5, plus bag of YS spuds, 30p, 1.7Kg, do nicely for some mash or chips

Came home and overrode the CH controls, too cold out not to

Followed the toast & cream cheese urge, with a sliced tomato on for luck

Lunch, followed the crisps urge, one crisp sarnie

Dinner has to be some veggie stuff, I think it will be large baked spud, with tinned tuna / mayo filling & salad on the side
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 29th Nov 17, 5:36 PM
    • 61,004 Posts
    • 356,305 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I saw the bean question - and was going to answer with "the blinding obvious", but then it was pointed out by somebody else.

I've done a Sainsbobs run to stock up on beans two packs of four. That'll take me through the next month or so all right! There could be nothing worse than running out of beans on, say, Xmas Eve.... could there

While I was there I looked at a VAST array of sticky buns, desserts, gooey things ... and sighed at the ridiculously high price tags (even though some had YS on them they were still very very highly priced) .... then it was off to the doughnuts aisle and, as we all know, it's compulsory to buy a bag of five. It's illegal to buy just a single doughnut - the charge for that offence being "failing to understand value for money and the ability to do simple maths".

1 for 30p, possibly poked and coughed over -v- 5 in a sealed bag for 65p.

I didn't get anything else. Beans and doughnuts. What more could anybody want?

Lunch was: 2 doughnuts.

I do NEED a crisp sarnie though ... those posts haven't been missed by me. But I need to buy fresh bread and crisps .... but it'll happen, soon.

Oh, I only just remembered (nobody else in world will have done) ... tomorrow I have a quiet Annual Cake Event ... but I've no cake.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 29th Nov 17, 5:50 PM
    • 14,255 Posts
    • 38,618 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    You mean that sorta "annual cake event" Pastures?

• karcher
    • By karcher 29th Nov 17, 5:52 PM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 13,103 Thanks
    karcher
    I had a feast of crisp butties on Sunday.

Plain crisps on buttered bread with a generous squirt of salad cream in the 1st round, mayo in the 2nd and a bit of both in the 3rd...

Ate plenty more besides too...pure greed and comfort eating
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 29th Nov 17, 5:55 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 1,027 Thanks
    poppystar

Seems a fair bit of "soddits" around at the moment, at least it is possible to say it on here without getting trolled or SHOUTED at as most of us have our ups & downs along our CFO paths so although we can't Fix it, we can empathise
    Originally posted by Farway

Tell me about it. Started to feel a bit brighter and a huge lump of tooth fell off while eating breakfast today

Is this it, have I got to the age when bits simply start falling off??!!

So very little food consumed today. I had a spot to do some food testing this afternoon so chivvied myself up to go as need the money but only ate (for ate think sucked!) the smallest bit of each dish and kept it firmly in the other side of my mouth.

Yoghurt or similar for tea and breakfast tomorrow pre dentist. Not sure it is easily fixable

Someone who knew i was worried about the weight gain I have since the virus suggested it was my body's way of seeking to restore my weight to
    normal

Hope everyone else's soddits are resolving and thanks all for being there this
    week and as faraway says for not judging or shouting but just listening.
    Last edited by poppystar; 29-11-2017 at 5:59 PM.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 29th Nov 17, 6:14 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    AndyCF
    I saw the bean question - and was going to answer with "the blinding obvious", but then it was pointed out by somebody else.
    I'm afraid I am very bad at 'overlooking the obvious' quite a bit. Guilty as charged here.

I do NEED a crisp sarnie though ... those posts haven't been missed by me. But I need to buy fresh bread and crisps .... but it'll happen, soon.

Oh, I only just remembered (nobody else in world will have done) ... tomorrow I have a quiet Annual Cake Event ... but I've no cake.
    Bread: I was lucky enough to go out early this morning and grab a fruited loaf, well 'half loaf' before they ran out. They usually only have 3 on the shelf so you have to be quick for one of these.

Crisps: Have you tried those 'multigrain' ? They are half reasonable and dry enough to risk 'adding' to something I suspect although I have not tried this.

Crisps (part two!): I really miss that "well known manufacturer" who erm 'brought back' the bbq flavour last year or the year before but then stopped it again. I have yet to find a decent match for this flavour just yet although I have got reasonably close with another brand but not "quite right"

Lunch was a small tin of 'chunky veg' with a some extra sweetcorn thrown into the bowl.

Talking of cake: You have reminded me (thank you!) to add a small 'coffee cake' to my shopping listing.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 29th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    • 11,387 Posts
    • 64,978 Thanks
    kittie
    N2bt, omg you do sound poorly. Have you got vicks to rub on your neck, so at least you can try and get a little sleep. If you have vicks, then rub some on your feet and put socks on before bed. Put something in your bedroom to add a little humidity, wet flannel, dish of water perhaps. Its such a shame that you had to go out. I went out today, main reason was to get two poxy packets of paracetamol, 16 doses in total. 4 days worth. I only got them to have in, just in case and next time I go anywhere, I am stopping off to get 2 more packs.

I just made my third batch of yogurt, still using the same culture ie I started with half a yogurt. Its fab yogurt, very thick and creamy because I make it with grahams jersey milk which is homogenised so is faff free. If it keeps going like this then the yogurt maker will pay for itself very quickly

I ate quite well today and never felt hungry, last meal is always small so I made a miso soup in a small mug and poured that on top of some cold cooked rice and added a small dollop of goats cheese. Aim is not to wake up with heartburn and it could work because I had no bread today

I still need to deal with those veg in the drawer tomorrow, I may well just put some on the compost
    • karcher
    • By karcher 29th Nov 17, 6:38 PM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 13,103 Thanks
    karcher
    I can't remember the last time I felt this bad, I normally throw off the worst of a cold within a couple of days but this is day 3 and no improvement. I've only ever had the flu once in my life I think it was about 1968/69 I was in primary school anyway.

So the food plan has completely gone out the window - Monday consisted of about 2lts of water, an effervescent vitamin c tablet, paracetamol and a clementine but it was so difficult to swallow it felt like swallowing broken glass. Tuesday another vit c tablet, paracetamol, copious amounts of water & hot blackcurrant juice, managed to get out of bed and nuked a portion of soup and that was it.

I was beginning to run out of paracetamol so this morning had a shower, got dressed, had vit c and paracetamol and by then was absolutely shattered but I needed to go to the supermarket, so I've not long had cheesy mashed potatoes which were disappointing - I cant taste anything - and I'm really tired now so going back to bed hope those that were poorly are on the mend.
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    Really sorry you are so poorly N2bt.

If it is proper flu you have my sympathy as it could absolutely knock you for 6.
    I've had proper flu once and I was ill for weeks.

Stay warm, drink plenty of fluids, take paracetamol and rest.
    Take care x

PN...You clearly need to go buy cake now

I never have cake, not got much of a sweet tooth..I'd rather have wine and a good Indian take away with all the extras
    Last edited by karcher; 29-11-2017 at 6:51 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 29th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    • 61,004 Posts
    • 356,305 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....You mean ...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Yip.
    ------
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 29th Nov 17, 6:58 PM
    • 61,004 Posts
    • 356,305 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Crisps: Have you tried those 'multigrain' ? They are half reasonable and dry enough to risk 'adding' to something I suspect although I have not tried this.

Crisps (part two!): I really miss that "well known manufacturer" who erm 'brought back' the bbq flavour last year or the year before but then stopped it again. I have yet to find a decent match for this flavour just yet although I have got reasonably close with another brand but not "quite right"
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    I'm a traditionalist.... Walkers Cheese/Onion .... Tomato Ketchup as a Xmas treat, but you can only really get those at 4sda, where I go for Xmas food shopping, just to get them.
    • wort
    • By wort 29th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 7,217 Thanks
    wort
    To all those under the weather hope you're soon feeling better.

Today I had last of the hm leek and potato soup, with a slice of bread . Followed by vanilla yogurt with seeds and grapes in.
    Tea was hot smoked salmon fillet with chips and broccoli, carrot, and cauli which I got today from aldi for 69p! Had half of one the little pots of Lloyd gross man pan melts on the salmon.
    As I was in aldi I got 2 more boxes of g free mince pies as they had reduced to 1.49 from 1.69. So I've just warmed one up to have with amaretto cream ,and cup of tea.
    Quiz later so wine will be drunk .
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • wort
    • By wort 29th Nov 17, 7:35 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 7,217 Thanks
    wort
    All my bread lives in the freezer, and I have 2 slices toast and cheese spread every morning so that's about a loaf a week, g free bread is small!!
    PN -- Happy birthday for tomorrow
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 29th Nov 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 18,030 Thanks
    caronc
    Never heard of it.
    I've got have an excuse to motivate me

Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    That sounds really nasty, I hope it clears up soon
    Tell me about it. Started to feel a bit brighter and a huge lump of tooth fell off while eating breakfast today

Is this it, have I got to the age when bits simply start falling off??!!
    Originally posted by poppystar
    - I feel it's been a downhill slope since I turned 45

I'm traditionalist when it comes with good old ready salted being my favourite unless it's for a crisp buttie in which case it has to be prawn cocktail

I'm pooped, I've been wanting to re-arrange my kitchen for ages so it is more "me" friendly so decided as I was going to move things to clean I may as well do both. I couldn't before but now I have my "trolley" I can humpf stuff about! I've got most of the main part of the cooking area down though there are a couple of high shelves and the unit kickboards that I can't get to. I'm embarassed at how mucky it was behind/underneath the microwave. I'll tackle the island and junk corner tomorrow. My Dad arrived just as I was in the midst of it and I had to seriously talk him out of getting the steps and doing the high spots. He's a big guy and unsteady on his feet so if he fell there is no way I'd be able to get him up. He brought me a lovely poinsetta which I swapped for a largeish tub of goulash and dumplings which seemed like a fair trade. I had a bowlful for lunch so that just leaves enough for lunch tomorrow. I had planned to steam some fish and make some spicy rice & veg to go with it but I cba standing to prep so I'm going for a bung it in the oven/microwave of fishcake, oven chips and nuked veg. I've looked a ham hock out to make stock tomorrow for lentil soup which I'm making for "the girls" coming round on Saturday. I've said I'll make soup and bread and they'll bring a pudding. As it is "St. Andrew's Day" tomorrow I've also taken some haggis out to defrost. I've both mash & bashed "neeps" in the freezer so that will be another easy meal. It's bleeding baltic here, fell below freezing as soon as it got dark and to be colder tomorrow so I'm going for meals that will stoke my inner central heating.
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 30th Nov 17, 8:19 AM
    • 14,255 Posts
    • 38,618 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Happy Birthday Pastures

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,015Posts Today

6,121Users online

Martin's Twitter