Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,797Posts
    • 18,040Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
Page 155
    • caronc
    • By caronc 27th Nov 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2,797 Posts
    • 18,040 Thanks
    caronc
    caron this bombay mix is rather disappointing. The best I had was many years ago from a health food shop. Along with their HM date and walnut slice
    Originally posted by karcher
    Och that's shame - mind I'd probably scoff it anyway.
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • wort
    • By wort 28th Nov 17, 8:50 AM
    • 454 Posts
    • 7,235 Thanks
    wort
    Karcher- hope today is better for you.

Tea ended up as hm gf pizza, as after I taken the cat to the vet, my other sister came to take me food shopping.
    Today I've had usual 2 toast with cheese spread, lunch at work will be hm leek and potato soup that I lifted out the freezer, with a roll and butter. Also I will take a muller corner, there is usually some fruit at work I can eat on my 2nd break.
    Tea tonight is a ready meal, of Spanish bravas chicken, as I know I cba when I get home from a full day at work !!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 28th Nov 17, 10:00 AM
    • 2,797 Posts
    • 18,040 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone

wort - don't blame for organising something easy for when you get in. HM leek and potato soup is one of my favourites, it always hits the spot.

I'm currently munching toast and cheesespread, I've the last of the hm chicken broth defrosting for lunch and I'll make goulash in a bit for tonight. If I cba I'll make dumplings to go with it, if not I'll have some of the mash I made at the weekend. At the moment I'm favouring the dumpling option as it's back to being baltic and due to drop near freezing this evening.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 28th Nov 17, 10:04 AM
    • 61,008 Posts
    • 356,348 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    All these toast/cheese spreads going on - I'll have that for breakfast.
    Then toast/hoops for lunch.

That'll be three slices of bread gone from the frozen loaf.

I do hate frozen bread really ... it takes up a disproportionate amount of freezer space for an item that's almost omnipresent.

You buy a loaf, freeze half ... and you can't buy a new fresh loaf until you've eaten the frozen half else you'd end up buying a new loaf and immediately freezing half.... so two frozen half loaves. That cannot be allowed to happen.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 28th Nov 17, 11:17 AM
    • 2,797 Posts
    • 18,040 Thanks
    caronc
    I try to avoid freezing bread though do sometimes have to. I always think bread that has been frozen even toasted doesn't taste quite "right"! I don't find the same issue with crumpets or pitta bread, just sliced bread and rolls. It's definitely a CFO conundrum and I refuse to a) stop eating bread or b) pay over the odds for a half-sized loaf so a ongoing issue - though the birds do benefit and I sometimes make breadcrumbs or croutons with any stale stuff.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 28th Nov 17, 11:38 AM
    • 61,008 Posts
    • 356,348 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I try to avoid freezing bread though do sometimes have to. ...though the birds do benefit and I sometimes make breadcrumbs or croutons with any stale stuff.
    Originally posted by caronc
    While there are a ton of things I "could" make with the bread, it doesn't actually address the root of the problem does it.

You'd need to either know that every time you bought a loaf you HAD to eat a bread/butter pudding, or similar, or make lots of breadcrumbs and then use those up that week too (to prevent stockpiling of those when the 2nd loaf enters the house). "Solutions" would only work once - and then only if you fancied it and and the additional ingredients in the house to make the XYZ that "uses it up".

Eating a whole loaf of bread a week, EVERY week, would be daunting. It's not that one couldn't do it, by choice, occasionally, but as a lifestyle need/commitment it'd soon grate

I do try to "have a break" from many products, to prevent the endless eating of them. Bread is one of those. Potatoes are another. Eggs too. Things that, once bought/used I'm sick of the sight of, so have a break from having them in the house.

But then things get out of sync and you end up where "if only I had ABC I could make XYZ" but you're on a break from that ingredient

In the end I went straight to the toast/hoops & cheese .... as it was a hot meal and it's freezing here. I'll save a slice of toast + a cheese triangle as a treat for later
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 28-11-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 28th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 2,797 Posts
    • 18,040 Thanks
    caronc
    No if I made "stuff" from the stale slices every time I'd be overun by breadcrumbs and croutons which would create a different set of problems!! I do have toast most days for breakfast though so that takes up a good few slices, 3 or 4 days lunch will be something on toast or a sarnie so in the main I get through most of a loaf most weeks. I wouldn't want to have a bread "holiday" as such so don't mind if a few slices are fed to the birds so I can get a fresh loaf. I never used to have this problem when I had the pooch as he was partial to some toast or bread soaked in soup. (on reflection he was partial to most things.....)
    • Farway
    • By Farway 28th Nov 17, 3:18 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 7,805 Thanks
    Farway
    'Afternoon folks

Seems a fair bit of "soddits" around at the moment, at least it is possible to say it on here without getting trolled or SHOUTED at as most of us have our ups & downs along our CFO paths so although we can't Fix it, we can empathise

Nil breakfast, had time just didn't fancy it this morning

Made up for it at mid morning volunteering coffee break, someone brought in cinnamon bun thingies, so that was late breakfast

No Lild YS worth having for me, there were loads of sliced cooked chicken breast packs, but I am a bit picky on chicken, free range and all that, so not for me.

Not so picky on mince pies though, found a dozen more for my stash, plus a jumbo jar of pickled gherkins, just for me & one of the granddaughters, luckily no one else likes them so it is our private jar at Christmas

The "fancy some crisps" elf put a jumbo pack of meaty crisps in my trolley

Lunch was the very last of the LO SC pork, with very last of the LO stuffing, in a sarnie.

dinner, will be yesterday revisited, grilled gammon steak, eggs, fried sliced LO spuds. Last of them all. A bonzo use up day today

A different new meal day starts tomorrow

Bread, I find one loaf does me for a week, mainly for one sarnie a day, sometimes have a bit left over,which I keep in fridge and use for toast. I mostly use Lild white toastie, 45p, I prefer thicker slices plus it keeps OK.
    My alternative is Morries thick sliced wholemeal, but not always in there to buy it

All these toast/cheese spreads going on - I'll have that for breakfast.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Now I fancy some, luckily I have a tub of soft cheese spread to hand
    Last edited by Farway; 28-11-2017 at 3:21 PM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 28th Nov 17, 4:32 PM
    • 11,388 Posts
    • 65,006 Thanks
    kittie
    I`ve been in a food soddit mood for a few days, so today have scoffed the last of the white cob for breakfast and again for tea and thank goodness it is finished and so are the crisps, last one eaten at morning break. A good hm ready meal at lunchtime and a berry/stewed apple/yogurt mix for afternoon snack. I fully intended to have sardines on toast for breakfast but cba even opening the tin, so it was soft goats cheese on top. Not enough veggies by any means and that has to change

New day tomorrow and I`ll have to tackle the veg drawer, I need to make veg juice as it guarantees me ingesting 4 different veg in an easy digest form, then later I have to use up the washed broccoli and caulie, so will need a protein, either a piece of fish or a small piece of meat, pot luck meal. Whatever happens after that is unimportant because I will have had the goodness I need but I have pasta to use and rice to use, so it will have to be one or the other at some point
    • caronc
    • By caronc 28th Nov 17, 5:15 PM
    • 2,797 Posts
    • 18,040 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    My goulash soup/stew is simmering away and it's smelling great. It's still to reduce down a bit but even so it seems to have made quite a lot, I've made it before (it's a "Delia" recipe) and don't remember it making such a large amount, however on reflection I've not made it for ages and may well still had offspring at home when I did. On reflection I must have done as I remember that I took some for my lunch to work a couple of times and folk commented how good it smelled. I didn't work at all last winter so it must have been the winter before. Still it will cover lunches for the rest of the week
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 28th Nov 17, 7:49 PM
    • 61,008 Posts
    • 356,348 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I have things I SHOULD be finishing/using up ... but I didn't fancy those They are brussels bought 2 weeks ago and the last of the carrots bought a week ago. If I had milk I'd just make a giant Yorkie and chuck those into that with some instant mash, stuffing and gravy - but I've no milk as I'm "on a break" from milk for a few days (that whole "sick of the sight of it now - give it a break" thing).

Instead, I did a freezer dash and had the last of the frozen chips and the final 5 kebab meatballs I'd made/frozen over a month ago. I'd made them and put them into a plastic takeaway box, which was overkill for just 5 small meatballs remaining, but there seemed no point in decanting those and creating washing up ...

So the freezer has now been relieved of 1 takeaway box at least.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 28th Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    • 2,797 Posts
    • 18,040 Thanks
    caronc
    I went for the dumpling option in the end , given the ice that is forming on the kitchen velux window I think that was a good choice. I've lots of LOs but will use some and freeze some, then use up the frozen portion(s) in the next couple of weeks.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 29th Nov 17, 8:29 AM
    • 61,008 Posts
    • 356,348 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I went into the freezing cold kitchen thinking hash browns, beans, eggs... then realised that it was easier to do eggs on toast and that used up two more slices of the bread in the freezer.... so, I CBA to actually open a can of beans really.

So that was that.... breakfast has been eaten. Now enjoying a hot black coffee (probably the 3rd of the morning as I've been up since 5.30am).... no particular reason to get up except I was awake and there was nothing else to do than to "get up" rather than closing my eyes and lying there.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 29th Nov 17, 8:49 AM
    • 14,260 Posts
    • 38,652 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well - I guess there's always listening to Radio 4 programmes Pastures

On my list of "One of these days I guess I ought to get into checking out some of their programmes" - though I can rarely think of what to do whilst listening to a radio programme personally.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • kittie
    • By kittie 29th Nov 17, 9:07 AM
    • 11,388 Posts
    • 65,006 Thanks
    kittie
    radio 4 is awful boring these days so I started listening to lbc and even that can be overload of boring topics

My knees are twinging a bit these days, could be down to side sleeping but no second chances and body weight is multiplied when it comes to each relatively small knee joint. Every 1lb loss makes a reduction of about 4lb on each knee. Hence cycling is much gentler on knees. I cross passed a friend yesterday, she was walking fast with pounding determined steps, about 2 miles for her. Imo, no point in having a healthier circulation if the knees get boogered. She already has dodgy knees

All that leads me to another light bulb moment ie getting back to proper weight loss and I have started with a better, no toast, breakfast of yogurt, kiwi, 2 dried apricots and some spelt flakes. No mid morning snack and I have cooked white rice, which will now cool as cold rice is better gi and better for weight loss

I am not trusting some of the veg in my freezer, maybe a bird pooped on my chard and that gave me that tummy bug last week. Who knows, I am back to using veggie wash for all my outside greens

To that rice for lunch I will add some tuna and chopped tomatoes and mint and serve with salad. Afternoon snack will be berries and soya cream. Oh sod it, what will be will be, whatever I can find within not too fattening boundaries. To that end I am off to get the full works from the supermarket later, otherwise I am standing in front of my fridge
    • elona
    • By elona 29th Nov 17, 9:30 AM
    • 11,325 Posts
    • 60,779 Thanks
    elona
    I fancy coffee and scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast so will make a start on that now the house is warming up.

Have a pork loin steak for lunch with maybe a baked potato or low fat wedges. I am out this afternoon and won't get back till six thirty so trying to avoid temptation and the chippy!

I have two dds coming over for Sunday lunch so will have a rake through the freezer on Saturday to use up some stuff and make space . No idea what to cook but will have a mooch through some cookery books once I know what main meat will be.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 29th Nov 17, 10:42 AM
    • 2,797 Posts
    • 18,040 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Bright and clear here this morning but it was well below freezing when I got up. I like to have the radio on in the background Radio 2 or Radio Scotland mainly but most of the time I kind of zone it. Sunday afternoons have to be Johnnie Walker's "Sound of the 70s", although I only hit my teens in the late 70s I like the music from that era so always enjoy listening to it.

Today I'm starting my Christmas cleaning, I keep the place reasonably clean & tidy but I really need to have a thorough and not just a surface clean. I can only manage a wee bit at a time so like the tortoise I'm aiming for slow & steady. Anything I can't manage the boys will tackle when they come home.

I was slow getting organised this morning so have skipped breakfast. Lunch will LO goulash soup and tonight probably steamed fish some way.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 29th Nov 17, 10:47 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 7,544 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Cup of coffee and some fresh orange juice. Toast with marg and marmalade, yum.

I just had to take the dogs out into the garden so I'm having a hot cup of green tea now. I'm really feeling the cold. I don't know if it is because I have a health problem or just that we have had such mild winters in recent years.

I remember being a child and going into the garden and the bird bath being thick with ice. I don't think I could handle that now!

I'm making a pasta bake with a HM tomato sauce and some leftover steamed veggies for lunch.

Karcher - I can't have Bombay Mix in the house as it only seems to come in largeish packets and once I've started I can't stop
    Originally posted by caronc
    I bought two huge packets of bombay mix recently and decided not to buy it again as I kept going back for more even when I was full up.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • caronc
    • By caronc 29th Nov 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2,797 Posts
    • 18,040 Thanks
    caronc

I bought two huge packets of bombay mix recently and decided not to buy it again as I kept going back for more even when I was full up.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    It's addictive isn't it one handful is never enough
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 29th Nov 17, 12:31 PM
    • 14,260 Posts
    • 38,652 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Whoops Wednesday.

I've resorted to throwing food in the bin and liquid (trans. wine ahem...) down the sink before now - if I think my willpower isnt up to it keeping my wish for it under control....
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

289Posts Today

1,682Users online

Martin's Twitter