Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Crsaun
    • By Crsaun 17th Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Crsaun
    New Freeholder Owner - Potentially Dodgy Company
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    New Freeholder Owner - Potentially Dodgy Company 17th Jul 17 at 6:23 PM
    Hello,

I’m in the process of buying a leasehold flat. I was under the impression that this was owned by Telford Homes although today I found out that the freehold was sold to Adriatic Land who use a company called Home Ground to collect the ground rent. Having checked the internet it appears that Home Ground are a fairly dodgy operation. They seem to charge excessive fees for ground rent payments that are late and their website has no phone number to contact.

I need some advice. Do I just pull out of the deal? If I pull out of the deal I’ll lose a bunch of money I’ve already paid (broker and solicitor) plus 5 months of my life getting to this advanced stage of the sale. Or do I go ahead with the sale and risk that I have no problems with Home Ground?

I know at the end of the day it’s my decision to pull out or not but I’d appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    Callum
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 41,077 Posts
    • 47,202 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    Well it's your choice and to some extent depends how much you like the property.

This is an increasing problem though, especially with New Build estates where the developer sells on the freehold to money-grabbing investment companies whose only concern is to satisfy their shareholders.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 17th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 5,278 Posts
    • 4,812 Thanks
    anselld
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    Why do you want to pay the ground rent late?
    • Crsaun
    • By Crsaun 17th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Crsaun
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    From what I've read in forums it's less to do with paying the ground rent late, it's more to do with payment letters not being received by the leasehold and then Home Ground charging late payments.

There are also complaints about them not providing information therefore holding up sales. Not great.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 18th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 3,828 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    If it is only ground rent that worries you, then one possibility is to set up a standing order to ensure it is paid on time.

What happens about service charges?

It's your call. Which would make you kick yourself hardest - pulling out or going ahead? Can you find something else just as good? Or is it likely that in the area you want, most of the properties in your budget will have the same problem?
    • Crsaun
    • By Crsaun 18th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Crsaun
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    Thanks.

The service charge is managed by another company.
    Yes, if I go though with the sale I'll definitely set up the direct debit. I'm just expecting something to go wrong during the transfer of the property i.e. they continue sending letters to the former owner and then charge me a tonne for late payment.
    I just don't like the idea of the freehold being owned by some mysterious offshore investment company (Adriatic Land).
    I’ll have to weigh up the pros and cons and make a decision.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 18th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    BBH123
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    If it was me I'd pull out.

I have heard of Adriatic before and not in a good way.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 18th Jul 17, 11:52 AM
    • 23,834 Posts
    • 50,482 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:52 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:52 AM
    If it was me I'd pull out.

I have heard of Adriatic before and not in a good way.
    Originally posted by BBH123

There isn't just one company. There are at least 12 of them with names in the style ADRIATIC LAND x (GRy) Ltd where x and y are numbers from 1 to 4. They are ultimately owned by Jetty Finance Ltd which is registered in Ireland
    • Crsaun
    • By Crsaun 18th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Crsaun
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    My train of thought at the moment is as follows: since I only see myself living at this property for 3-5 years (before moving out of London), the risks are smaller because I have no intention of trying to buy the freehold which is where the majority of problems with Adriatic Land appear to arise. I will keep an eye on Home Ground to ensure I have no problems with ground rent.

So, unless anyone can point out any other major problems with Adriatic Land or Home Ground that I should know about before my purchase, then I'll just take the plunge and go ahead with it....

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,405Posts Today

6,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin