Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ccdean100
    • By ccdean100 17th Jul 17, 6:22 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ccdean100
    outstanding payment - where do I stand ?
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:22 PM
    outstanding payment - where do I stand ? 17th Jul 17 at 6:22 PM
    I am a freelance researcher and earlier in the year rented a desk in the UK. I have since moved away (abroad - where my business is now based) and cancelled the agreement before moving.

The company I rented from gave me instructions to set up monthly direct debit payments which I followed. It was via a payment system called "gocardless".

When I was leaving, I had an email from their accounts team telling me they had received no payments over the period. I checked and they were right. Their accounts team informed me that I had followed instructions correctly, but that there had been a mistake on their part meaning they had forgotten to take the monthly payments.

They have now sent me a bill for nearly £ 800, and I am wondering where I stand given it was their mistake. If the mistake was theirs, can they take action ?

I budgeted for the cost of the desk during the period I was using it, but certainly cannot stump up £ 800 out of nowhere. Setting up in a new country is expensive as it is !

Any advice welcome, particularly with regards to whether doing nothing will result in my credit rating being affected which I just recently managed to get back on track.

Thanks for reading.
Page 1
    • Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 17th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    Placitasgirl
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    So if as you say you had budgeted for the cost of the desk during the period you were using it, how come you didn't realise that you had £800 more than your budget for the period said you had?

Surely simple account maintenance and bookkeeping should have highlighted the fact you hadn't made any payments?
    • ccdean100
    • By ccdean100 17th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ccdean100
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    So if as you say you had budgeted for the cost of the desk during the period you were using it, how come you didn't realise that you had £800 more than your budget for the period said you had?

Surely simple account maintenance and bookkeeping should have highlighted the fact you hadn't made any payments?
    Originally posted by Placitasgirl
    I was abroad a lot of the time setting up a new business - using a different set of accounts - and did not keep close track of my UK debits over the period until returning.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    • 12,678 Posts
    • 12,936 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    The debt is valid. If you can't afford it in one go, arrange a payment plan.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 17th Jul 17, 10:55 PM
    • 7,235 Posts
    • 7,388 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:55 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:55 PM
    howc long do you intend being out of the UK for ?
    • ccdean100
    • By ccdean100 18th Jul 17, 6:15 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ccdean100
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:15 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:15 AM
    howc long do you intend being out of the UK for ?
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    At least a year, possibly permanently. My business is registered overseas and I'm planning for permanent residency eventually.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 18th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 350 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    You owe the money.

There is no "get out of jail free card" for this, as it seems you are asking.

They were at fault for not billing you, yes. But they legally have 6 years to ask for the money.

If you cannot afford it in one go, offer a repayment plan and see what they say. They are more likely to accept a reasonable plan than to go through the hassle of taking you to court etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

849Posts Today

7,110Users online

Martin's Twitter