Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Missemza
    • By Missemza 17th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Missemza
    Wrong digit entered - POPLA appeal.
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    Wrong digit entered - POPLA appeal. 17th Jul 17 at 6:17 PM
    Hello everyone,

I am a little scared about this post having read some of the "telling off's" for people having not read the Newbie thread, and I have read it - I promise, but, I would appreciate some help with the wording of a Popla appeal.

I parked in a smart parking car park. I did pay for my parking using RINGO. I entered my reg plate which is VO60 ###

I then received a parking notice. I appealed as I believed I had evidence (from RINGO account). They didn't uphold this as I had entered my reg number incorrectly.

I had entered the number as V060 ###

In essence I had entered zero instead a O as the second digit.

I want to appeal as I think this is ridiculous! however, I appreciate that my case has to be more than what I think... It was an error, however no loss of earnings could be lost when I had paid.

I would like to apologise if this has been answered on the Newbie thread and others that I have read but I haven't seen it.

Would any of you be able to help me? please?

Thanks in advance....
Page 1
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 17th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    • 6,692 Posts
    • 5,673 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    A very easy mistake and I cannot imagine any judge in the land entertaining a claim for £100, they must know what happened, and have suffered no loss. refer them to Arkle v Pressdram.
    Last edited by The Deep; 17-07-2017 at 6:33 PM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 17th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    • 13,599 Posts
    • 21,321 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    We've seen cases before. A recent case of an incorrectly typed VRM was rejected by POPLA as 'not meeting the terms of parking'. I can't remember whether it was a transposition of letters/numbers or a complete hash up. Nonetheless they rejected the appeal.

So you need to appeal on more grounds than the one you report above. In the newbies sticky, post #3 there are some ready-made appeal points to copy and paste as a foundation for your own appeal - so a good threequarters is already done for you.

I'd argue on your VRM input that you have correctly provided it - see if POPLA can spot the difference between 0 and O. In fact if you look on your number plate the same digit is used for both 0 and O.

Let us see your POPLA draft for critique and fine tuning before submission. Don't miss your POPLA deadline.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 48,233 Posts
    • 61,703 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    Hope you have not appealed yet on that basis? Please don't shoot your toes off!

Smart Parking are crushed easily by the template appeal in the NEWBIES thread, the key being not to say who was driving, nor talk about the story of what happened.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Missemza
    • By Missemza 17th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Missemza
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    No I've not done anything as yet....

I was gobsmacked when I read the letter, I will go and have another look at the thread...

and I will put in the other points mentioned, and I will put my response to you before I send it for amendments.

Thank you so much for replying, I really do appreciate it....

be back soon with POPLA appeal...!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    • 48,233 Posts
    • 61,703 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    I will put in the other points mentioned,
    No, just copy the template. And choose 'registered keeper' (NOT driver) in the drop-down menu.

You are unlikely to need POPLA stage if you do as we advise.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,026Posts Today

8,874Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin