Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 17th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 25,941Posts
    • 32,755Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Identify beetle
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    Identify beetle 17th Jul 17 at 6:11 PM

Any idea if this beetle is what I think it is
    A Brown Marmorated Stink Bug and does it have to be reported?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
Page 1
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 17th Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,125 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    It's some kind of shield bug, but I googled the one you mentioned and the markings look different. What about this one?

http://colinknight.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/red-legged-shieldbug-and-willow-flea.html

More here:
    http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/red-legged-shieldbug

Says it's the final instar nymph, if that means anything to you.
    Last edited by Penitent; 17-07-2017 at 6:51 PM.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 17th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 25,941 Posts
    • 32,755 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    Thanks, that's very much like it down to the 2 lumps behind the head. Here's the pic I was going by so you can see why I thought it was the other.
    https://www.ent.iastate.edu/soybeaninsects/node/144
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 17th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 22,775 Posts
    • 87,610 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    Thanks, that's very much like it down to the 2 lumps behind the head. Here's the pic I was going by so you can see why I thought it was the other.
    https://www.ent.iastate.edu/soybeaninsects/node/144
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper

I definitely think you were right to ask, as it does look very similar - the thorax shape is different, but the lumps did look suggestive - and had it been one, yes, reporting it would have been essential.

If you use Twitter, you could post the image to the various Bug organisations/the Natural History Museum Entymology account just to double check, but I'd say it's not something to worry about - the example posted here seems pretty much identical.

Well spotted!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 17th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,125 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    If anyone wants to look at some more shield bugs, there's a selection of them here (this is what I used to try to find the bloke above).

https://www.britishbugs.org.uk/gallery/heteroptera/Pentatomoidea/pentatomoidea.html

I'm not a fan of bugs in general, but I've got a weird soft spot for them. We get the common green ones in the garden sometimes.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 17th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 22,775 Posts
    • 87,610 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    We get the Common/Southern Green, the Hairy (the pink is very striking), and Hawthorn Shieldbugs in the garden. Might have others, but they're the ones I have noticed.

I do like bugs - I've got a tendency to come into the house saying 'look what I've found!' and presenting the OH with some unsuspecting invertebrate. He's getting used to it after 4 years, knowing if it's come in with me, it's not too creepy (unless it's under a glass and then he ensures he's three foot away for the big reveal) - and will be slightly more suspicious if I come in and say 'come and see what I've found!', as that is sometimes something very big, a bit bitey or just really cool in how it lives.

Recent ones have included showing him what lives in cuckoo spit (immature Froghoppers) and showing him what they look like when they grow up (with a ping), Woolly Bears on the Rosebay Willowherb, millipedes, his favourites, the assortment of bumble and solitary bees and his least favourites, the Mouse Spider and Steadota/False Widow/Rabbit Hutch spiders.

Yes, yes, I know I'm weird. But he seems to like me despite this enthusiasm for stuff that belongs scuttling in the undergrowth (and, in my garden, the overgrowth) - it's a positive wildlife haven out the back.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 28,149 Posts
    • 102,770 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    I quite like shield bugs... they can be very pretty.

If the OP's bug is a nymph, does that mean it eats aphids?

Edit. No, just googled it. It feeds on the sap of deciduous trees inc. oak, hazel and fruit trees, although the adult does also eat caterpillars and other insects. It is considered a garden and horticultural pest as a result.
    Last edited by Pyxis; 18-07-2017 at 8:59 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 18th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    • 25,941 Posts
    • 32,755 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    According to email from DEFRA, even if it had been the stink bug they did not want to know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

5,181Users online

Martin's Twitter