Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 17th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,254Posts
    • 2,595Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    Windows 10 Creators Update
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    Windows 10 Creators Update 17th Jul 17 at 5:25 PM
    Beware of this!

It takes an eternity!

So if you have some important work to do, do not let your computer begin this update until you can leave it to do its thing for hours.

I am fuming. I needed to use my computer this morning and switched it on before breakfast to give it time to do its little updates etc before I needed to use it.

But no.

Microsoft had other ideas.

Yesterday, when I switched off, I chose the "Update and shut down" option thinking all would be ready today.

After breakfast, it was still only on 16% of its interminable update.

By the time I had to give up and leave, it was on 43% so I left it running on its battery because I didn't want to leave it wasting mains after the update had finished while I was out.

Returned this afternoon and it was only just then reaching 100%!

All flamin' day!!!!!

How the bleep does Microsoft expect people to be able to use their computers?

They had the cheek to display these "helpful" messages:

Do not turn off your PC. This will take a while.
    You don't say!!!

We want everything to be ready for you.
    So do I!

Making sure your apps are good to go.
    I don't care about the **&%@ apps, I just urgently need to check my email.

It's taking a bit longer than expected, but we'll get there as fast as we can.
    A bit longer? Don't try to pretend there's a caring human behind this fiasco.

Come on microsoft... people have important things to do, you can't jut tie up their computers for hours on end with these updates - break them into smaller chunks, tell users how long the update needs and let them choose a time.
Page 1
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 17th Jul 17, 7:15 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 26,464 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:15 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:15 PM
    Thanks for the warning. My pc seems to run ok.
    Your thoughts fade
    As you shake between the fags
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 17th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    BigAl94
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    My upgrade was seamless and processed overnight.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 17th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 1,489 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    My upgrade was seamless and processed overnight.
    Originally posted by BigAl94
    Mine didn't take that long.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 17th Jul 17, 9:17 PM
    • 3,063 Posts
    • 1,372 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:17 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:17 PM
    You should know by now that MS releases a WHOLE NEW OS twice a year. Get used to it.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 17th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 4,830 Posts
    • 9,538 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    Install Linux Mint like the kewl kids have
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 17th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    Beware of this!

Come on microsoft... people have important things to do, you can't jut tie up their computers for hours on end with these updates - break them into smaller chunks, tell users how long the update needs and let them choose a time.
    Originally posted by Hedgehog99
    Warning may be too late, it's been out for ages.
    Microsoft did let me choose a time to update.
    The update didn't take long to download and install.
    They can't tell you how long the update needs, because a lot depends on your BB connection and your machine etc. etc.
    Doing updates on battery alone isn't advisable. I'm surprised your Laptop lasted all day without giving up. Are you sure it didn't sleep or anything while you were away?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 17th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 8,797 Posts
    • 4,394 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    Doing updates on battery alone isn't advisable. I'm surprised your Laptop lasted all day without giving up. Are you sure it didn't sleep or anything while you were away?
    Originally posted by RumRat
    The creators update isn't fast but neither did it take all day even on my laptop which is more of a tablet with keyboard affair so my money is on the above.

I still think the way these updates trap the unwary is going to lead to people seriously considering Linux though. I know some retirees (just like me) who have become "kewl kids" (post above) and have no regrets.
    • ChristianC123
    • By ChristianC123 17th Jul 17, 11:05 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ChristianC123
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:05 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:05 PM
    Windows 10 is downloaded in the background using Windows Update automatically, so even if your Internet connection is not reliable or you are intermittently disconnected at times, it will automatically resume once an active Internet connection is available!and picks up from where it left off.!
    If you’re noticing Windows 10 running very slow, try changing the Initial Size and Maximum Size to the Recommended File Size for both.
    – Open up Control panel
    – Type in “Performance” into the search field
    – Click “Adjust the appearence and performance of windows”
    (or Right-Click on My PC and select Properties)
    – Open Advanced tab and click “change” button

Regards,
    Christian
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 18th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 8,797 Posts
    • 4,394 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    I don't care about the **&%@ apps, I just urgently need to check my email.
    Originally posted by Hedgehog99
    Another thing occurs to me - if your emails are vitally important then you should consider setting up a phone or tablet to be able to read them. A basic tablet is pretty cheap and a secondhand one even cheaper.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 18th Jul 17, 9:04 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    Sicard
    My update didn't take long. If I were you I'd run some diagnostic checks on your machine.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov
    • Gambler101
    • By Gambler101 18th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 402 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    Gambler101
    I cant even comment about W10 without my blood pressure rising. I could write a book on how awful it is lol
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    • 40,144 Posts
    • 45,851 Thanks
    G_M
    What does the update actually provide? Do I even want/need it?

'Creators'? What if I don't want to create anything?
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 18th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    jshm2
    It's not so much the extra features, but the security patches that matter in Windows CU.

There are a few exploits that ransomware and malware racketeers were exploiting such as "EternalBlue " that are addressed in the new update.
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 23rd Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 2,595 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    You should know by now that MS releases a WHOLE NEW OS twice a year. Get used to it.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Well, thanks, I know now, but they should publicise this more.

Warning may be too late, it's been out for ages.
    Microsoft did let me choose a time to update.
    The update didn't take long to download and install.
    They can't tell you how long the update needs, because a lot depends on your BB connection and your machine etc. etc.
    They could still warn users it's a big one,
    so that people who know their updates take longer are forewarned to set the time aside.

Originally posted by RumRat
    Yep, positive. I wasn't expecting it to take that long to finish, so, although I agree it's not ideal, I thought it was preferable to leaving it running all day while I was out.

I still think the way these updates trap the unwary is going to lead to people seriously considering Linux though. I know some retirees (just like me) who have become "kewl kids" (post above) and have no regrets.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    Just can't face having to learn a new o/s.
    Hated it when I had to use a Mac at work - could do what I needed to do, but never felt at home with its o/s.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 23rd Jul 17, 10:30 AM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    RumRat
    MS publicised it quite well. I guess it would depend on what/where you read for your tech news. The mainstream press only tend to report on bad news regarding tech.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 23rd Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    Twopints
    W10 and IE11
    I got this update last night - it appears that it is no longer possible to run IE11 once this update has happened - so I can no longer use some internet banking facilities.

I (used to) use First Direct's Internet Banking Plus which appears to only run on IE7 or above.

Is there any way I can get this to work on W10 or do I need to find another bank account aggregation tool that doesn't need !E?
    Not even wrong
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 23rd Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    hans 2
    In the Windows 10 taskbar search, type Internet Explorer and you will see it appear in the results.

Clicking on it will open Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 23rd Jul 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    In the Windows 10 taskbar search, type Internet Explorer and you will see it appear in the results.

Originally posted by hans 2
    ^^^^This.

Plus once you've searched for it, you can right-click and add it to your Taskbar to find it more easily in future.
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 23rd Jul 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    Twopints

Originally posted by hans 2
    Thanks! Wasn't fully awake when I first tried. Got it now
    Not even wrong
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,942Posts Today

8,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin