Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 17th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    • 112Posts
    • 36Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    8 WOW
    MSE News: I bagged £60 of shopping for £2.55 with yellow-sticker discounts'
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    8 WOW
    MSE News: I bagged £60 of shopping for £2.55 with yellow-sticker discounts' 17th Jul 17 at 5:18 PM
    A MoneySaver has told how she bought a whopping £60-worth of shopping for just £2.55, in one of her best-ever 'reduced to clear' supermarket sweeps...
    Read the full story:
    'I bagged £60 of shopping for £2.55 with yellow-sticker discounts''

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • robin58
    • By robin58 17th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    robin58
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    She was extremely lucky.

In my town the shelves are usually stripped before the YS gets anywhere near these prices.

I have also noticed that the supermarkets have twigged the demand for YS by holding out the reductions for as long as possible before they reduce to really clear the stuff.

Talked to a guy in the bakery in Sainsburys. They say they hold out for as long as they can before they finally reduce to ridiculous prices as all the reduced or non sold items effect the departments bottom line. Basically they have a certain % of wastage/reduction they must keep within.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Pound
    • By Pound 17th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    Pound
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    All of it expires the same day (most of it is labelled 'use by' which NHS recommend not safe to eat). Personally I think people should limit how much reduced items they should take, give other people a chance...

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • 59,237 Posts
    • 345,939 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    I always look, if there are any then it's expensive/odd stuff I don't eat - and has about 10% off.

Some shops are good; most aren't. Very few are actually YS hotspots at all.

I bet I'd not even want most of that £60 basket of goods...for a variety of reasons... including not having a big enough freezer to freeze it all
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 17-07-2017 at 7:20 PM.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 17th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 6,890 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    One year I bought enough yellow stickered food that I saved enough to pay for the freezer that I had bought to keep it in
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1751.1
    This week 69.6
    • short_cake
    • By short_cake 17th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    short_cake
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    a lot of shops now vary there times because people were getting wise to the 8pm reductions and were hanging about to get them , and the shop staff were getting hassle when A) they don't appear or B) some customer would complain it wasn't enough of a bargain

also shop staff were having food shoved in the faces and asked to reduce

If you see a bargain then get it, BUT you can never rely on it
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 17th Jul 17, 11:38 PM
    • 6,246 Posts
    • 3,946 Thanks
    Ken68
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:38 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:38 PM
    Congratulations LISA....only once have I managed to find clearance items at 2p and 4p etc. A while ago but it must have been £10 groceries for about 50p.
    You done well.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th Jul 17, 7:29 AM
    • 17,089 Posts
    • 43,235 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:29 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:29 AM
    I always look, if there are any then it's expensive/odd stuff I don't eat - and has about 10% off.

Some shops are good; most aren't. Very few are actually YS hotspots at all.

I bet I'd not even want most of that £60 basket of goods...for a variety of reasons... including not having a big enough freezer to freeze it all
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    This ^^^^

I wonder if Lisa would buy those items if they were full price
    I'd hazard a guess that she wouldn't.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Jul 17, 7:49 AM
    • 6,822 Posts
    • 12,528 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:49 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:49 AM
    I do wonder with some people they buy things because it has a YS and don't use it and bin it.

The other week, Asda had packs of diced onion down to 3p. I bought 12-14 packs. Though it says not to freeze, I have frozen them in the past without problems. It worked out 15p a kg.

Best YS a friend bought was in Waitrose, a venison haunch joint was £67 paid £6.20. She got this on 27/28 Dec a couple of years ago. Was frozen down for NYD roast.

I remember about 5 Christmases ago, around 22 Dec, I popped into Sainsburys for something. They had party food bits such as tempura prawns, mini pork pies, chicken satay etc down to 10p each from £2-£2.50. Had the following day's date on them. The code checker said customers wanted post dated Christmas dates on these. I bought about 14 boxes. Got home and took them out of the boxes to wrap in foil so used a third of the space.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th Jul 17, 8:17 AM
    • 17,089 Posts
    • 43,235 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I do wonder with some people they buy things because it has a YS and don't use it and bin it.

The other week, Asda had packs of diced onion down to 3p. I bought 12-14 packs. Though it says not to freeze, I have frozen them in the past without problems. It worked out 15p a kg.

Best YS a friend bought was in Waitrose, a venison haunch joint was £67 paid £6.20. She got this on 27/28 Dec a couple of years ago. Was frozen down for NYD roast.

I remember about 5 Christmases ago, around 22 Dec, I popped into Sainsburys for something. They had party food bits such as tempura prawns, mini pork pies, chicken satay etc down to 10p each from £2-£2.50. Had the following day's date on them. The code checker said customers wanted post dated Christmas dates on these. I bought about 14 boxes. Got home and took them out of the boxes to wrap in foil so used a third of the space.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I think I'd have bought all those ^^^^ bargains, SM - especially the party food at Christmas time..

But 4 or 5 packs of giant 'muffins' or whatever they are - no thanks.

I notice there is some sausage there - I'd only buy if it was high meat content.

One of my recent bargains was 500gm of turkey breast meat, reduced from £3 per pack to 75p. I bought 4 packs.
    Now, I'll use this in all sorts of things, shepherd's pie, burgers etc so to me that's more a bargain than a basket-load of 'stuff'.
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 18th Jul 17, 9:20 AM
    • 8,270 Posts
    • 105,913 Thanks
    karlie88
    Certainly a good shop that.

The problem is that at my local supermarkets, it becomes a crowd event at 7pm. A bit of fighting, some swearing - it's the norm now. It's gone beyond ridiculous. They've introduced a queuing system at my local Asda with a 3 item limit.

Some people even record the events at their local:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLpucjrqzvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoYCgcYql_Q

The first clip is quite 'civilised' when you compare it to the 2nd clip.

The best of YS shopping is over - I remember the times you could buy 2 x 10p items that were on a BOGOF offer and the original price came off. Co-op and Tesco were good at that. Used to get £100+ shops for pennies (which included lots of full price items).

Ah the memories.
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    • 31,401 Posts
    • 37,104 Thanks
    Browntoa
    I find the best tactic is not to gloat about it all over social media

I get a steady stream of reduced YS items at around 75% off but would never say at what store or /and at what times as I've seen the feeding frenzies in supermarkets where people are basically snatching stuff out of the poor staffs hands as its stickered and it almost coming to blows.

last weekend managed 2 x beef stroganoff meals for 95p each and 2 x chicken meals for 45p each , stuck in the freezer at work for my meals on nights , so that's £22 of food for £2.80
    Last edited by Browntoa; 18-07-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 18th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 6,246 Posts
    • 3,946 Thanks
    Ken68
    The best ever deals I had was with Tesco "Double the Difference".
    Asda was selling meat at £4kg against Tesco £8kg.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th Jul 17, 2:58 PM
    • 14,934 Posts
    • 121,036 Thanks
    JackieO
    Nipped across to the centre about 3 minutes walk from my front door last night to poast a birthday card and popped my head around the door in the Tesco metro, lady was rducing TTD red onion quarter lbs b'urgers to 38p from £2.50 so I had a pack but left the rest for the other chap who was there, four is more than enough for me as I would only have one with some new potatoes and salad for a meal They all got decanted into clingfilm to my freezer, thats four meals with sides at about 50p each all inclusive . very rarely am I out at that ime of night it was about 9.00
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Jul 17, 3:27 PM
    • 6,822 Posts
    • 12,528 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I think if anyone is abusive to customers and shop staff should be banned.

I have friends that work for supermarkets and there is at least two people that have been banned from the stores they work due to agressive behaviour around YS.

One of them was the owner of an Indian restaurant with buying meat - chicken and lamb and certain veg - spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes and aubergines.

None of us knew which restaurant he ran and he's also banned from the other stores of the same chain within the county and neighbouring ones.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 18th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    • 12,101 Posts
    • 11,506 Thanks
    Chris25
    I picked up a loaf and a pack of english muffins which had been reduced, only to be aggressively confronted by two men standing at the bakery counter who were waiting for them to be further reduced. I told them I was happy to pay whatever it was for them and they weren't pleased at all.

I'm sure that's happened to someone else on here too.

I do feel sorry for some staff as I've seen them followed around by people wanting stuff to be reduced even more and brandishing items in front of them demanding they knock more money off.
    Last edited by Chris25; 18-07-2017 at 5:33 PM.
    • Midnighter
    • By Midnighter 18th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 9,077 Posts
    • 1,006,815 Thanks
    Midnighter
    In my town the shelves are usually stripped before the YS gets anywhere near these prices.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Same here. We've got most of the big supermarkets locally, and pretty much everything's gone by 5pm.
    2017 Wins: Chocolate & Love Bar, Blair Witch DVD, Tatty Devine Earrings, Signed Mariella Frostrup Book, Rose Tremain's Gustav Sonata, Bottle of Black Cow Vodka, Apple Tree Yard DVD, Murder at the Manor, Jordans Superberry Granola, Stabilo Pens & £41.60.

Avatar Angel Seraphina painted by Julie L.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Jul 17, 11:00 PM
    • 6,822 Posts
    • 12,528 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    The best of YS shopping is over - I remember the times you could buy 2 x 10p items that were on a BOGOF offer and the original price came off. Co-op and Tesco were good at that. Used to get £100+ shops for pennies (which included lots of full price items).

Ah the memories.
    Originally posted by karlie88
    What annoys me with some supermarkets with YS, they reduce the goods to a price that it works out MORE expensive buying them in the reduced. Give you an example - £3.50 each or 2 for £5. So buying them with long dates, it works out £2.50 each. The YS items are £2.65.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    • 17,089 Posts
    • 43,235 Thanks
    Pollycat
    What annoys me with some supermarkets with YS, they reduce the goods to a price that it works out MORE expensive buying them in the reduced. Give you an example - £3.50 each or 2 for £5. So buying them with long dates, it works out £2.50 each. The YS items are £2.65.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    But not everybody wants to buy 2 of something, not everybody has room in the freezer for 'cheap stuff'.
    So even though the reduced price might be higher than the "2 for £x" price, it can still be a bargain for somebody.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 19th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 3,083 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    dekaspace
    What I have tended to notice and we don't know the financial background of the person is people often who bought YS sticker items were ones who wore good clothes and drove off in nice cars and often were regulars who at each place I have been when I spoke to the staff they called "vultures" Worse was M+S where this guy came in every day and grabbed things out of staffs hands and blocked other people off and grinned and said "too slow" or "first come first served" to everyone but then would kick off whenever someone else got something first complaining about preferential treatment, oh and he wore expensive trainers and you saw him drive off in a newish BMW!!!

I remember going in with a few quid to last a week and people emptying reduced shelves not even caring what they picked up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin