Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cakster
    • By cakster 17th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 3Thanks
    cakster
    Domestic & General for a cooker leaking CO
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    Domestic & General for a cooker leaking CO 17th Jul 17 at 4:54 PM
    It's a Leisure 110cm Classic Range Cooker.

I'm wondering if it's economically sensible to take out a policy with Domestic and General for this situation.

Basically our range cooker nearly killed us. We've just moved house and the oven's been leaking CO through the control knob and gas through one of the oven compartments.

I phoned Leisure who said they could either
    1. send someone round to repair it for £110+VAT+parts but if when the technician arrived to look at it found it wasn't economically viable I would still be liable for the full call out cost of £110+VAT
    or
    1. I can pay £14 a month for 12 months and they'll come and see if the oven can be fixed. If it can't be fixed they'll cancel the policy. If it can be fixed they fix it at no extra cost, parts included. If it suffers from a different fault within 12 months I apparently get a new cooker (believe that when I see it!).

I don't really like the "policy" aspect of the second option, I'd rather just pay up front, but it seems the least risky to me and it's certainly cheaper than a new range cooker.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 17th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    It's a no brainier then take the 14 a month for 12 months and if they can't repair it you can buy a new cooker and they'll cancel your policy.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 17th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 3,018 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    I'm curious as to how you know these two problems?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 17th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    Originally posted by southcoastrgi
    Got to be the grid surely they just shut off and guess at the problem, any gas engineer would of quoted for a repair or advised new cooker.
    • cakster
    • By cakster 18th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cakster
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    Originally posted by southcoastrgi
    Happy to indulge your curiosity :-)

We smelled gas, called the grid, they came out with the sniffer straw and detected the two faults.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 18th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 1,986 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    I doubt you would smell CO, a) at all and b) through the control knob. CO is produced when gas is burned incompletely due to lack of oxygen. Having said that, the right thing to do was shut it down and have it repaired.
    • cakster
    • By cakster 18th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cakster
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    I doubt you would smell CO, a) at all and b) through the control knob. CO is produced when gas is burned incompletely due to lack of oxygen. Having said that, the right thing to do was shut it down and have it repaired.
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    You've indirectly hit the nail on the head, there. The incomplete burning resulted in a smell of gas, as in natural gas, which we could smell. You're right to assert you can't smell CO.

Anyway do you have any input on the question posed?

I'm concerned I might be a sucker for signing up with Domestic and General but I don't know why. I just have a funny feeling. I think it's because it's a "policy" and a "plan" rather than just a repair. But it does seem the most economical option with least risk.
    • SWMBO
    • By SWMBO 18th Jul 17, 11:33 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    SWMBO
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:33 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:33 AM
    If it's not under guarantee you could ring an independent repairer for a quote; you don't have to go through Leisure.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 18th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 18th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    OP, I'm in my third year of a D&G policy. Our Cannon range cooker had a faulty convection oven that wasn't heating up properly at Christmas 2014. I rang Cannon to find out about parts and found it was all under the one company now. They were brilliant honestly. I signed up to a 12 month policy for about £14 a month - they came out and fixed the convection oven which had 2 faulty heating elements. I doubt I would have got the repair done for less than the premium, but I didn't know anyone who could do it either - £168 over 12 months compared to a call out and replacing 2 elements?
    After the first year, they reduced the premium to £8 a month, and offered a second product cover for about £6 I think. (we didn't have anything else worth covering). We had them back out in May this year when the fan oven element went. So to date I reckon that second repair cost me about £120. They got out to repair it the same day as they had a cancellation. Work done, no fuss. I suspect if I knew someone local and reliable it might have been slightly cheaper to get the work done when required, but I don't. Both engineers who came out swore that they have fitted new equipment when they couldn't repair them, so it does seem to be a genuine part of the cover, but time will tell I suppose.
    As an extra bonus, they have a link to a Hotpoint website where you can get a discount on their products up to the value of all premiums you have paid so far. Although the discount is against a higher price than you can get from shopping around, when I last looked, you could still make a decent saving in real terms.
    For me, the premium is worth it.
    Last edited by Bigphil1474; 18-07-2017 at 1:15 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

3,208Users online

Martin's Twitter