Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 17th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 1,171Posts
    • 1,204Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Is this petty?
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    Is this petty? 17th Jul 17 at 4:49 PM
    When we moved into our rented house it had white good included. The washing machine however was really old and smelly so we suggested we use our own. Then the fridge / freezer broke after a few months so again rather than wait for a repair we used our own. Neither of them were purchased specially, we had them anyway.
    Now I'm thinking we have saved the letting agent / landlord a bit of hassle and money and the rent was set with white goods included.
    Would it be reasonable to ask for a small discount in rent? I don't know if rent is lower if the property doesn't have white goods?
    So is this petty or a real issue?!
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 41,080 Posts
    • 47,195 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    A reduction in rent is not warranted. You chose this course of action. However

1) where are the LL's white goods now? I hope you are storing them somewhere safely.

2) You need to act in a 'tenant-like' manner and report, in writing, any break-down.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 17th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    Yes I guess we did choose this. I didn't want stinking clothes or to be eating beans for weeks!
    Yep the broken stuff is there taking up space in the garage....
    I feel fortunate we had our own spare stuff to deal with the situation quickly.
    Was interested to get opinions as a few people have said it doesn't seem fair.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 17th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 15,147 Posts
    • 14,752 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    Yes I guess we did choose this. I didn't want stinking clothes or to be eating beans for weeks!
    Yep the broken stuff is there taking up space in the garage....
    I feel fortunate we had our own spare stuff to deal with the situation quickly.
    Was interested to get opinions as a few people have said it doesn't seem fair.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Life is not fair....

However, you chose to use your own - there is no discount here. The LL does not have to supply you with either washing machine or fridge.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 17th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    Yes the LL doesn't have to supply white goods, I know. Was interested to know if a house without white goods rents cheaper than one with? Kind of feel I'm doing him a favour but hey it makes my life easier.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 17th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    LuckyG
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    I don't think you have much chance in a reduction in rent, the washing machine in the place we're currently renting broke a few months after we moved in.

We bought a new one and have stored the old one to put back when we move.
    The LL knows the old one is broken, he didn't really care to be honest.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 17th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 15,147 Posts
    • 14,752 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    Yes the LL doesn't have to supply white goods, I know. Was interested to know if a house without white goods rents cheaper than one with? Kind of feel I'm doing him a favour but hey it makes my life easier.

It depends. I wouldn't rent one with white goods in it, I have my own and don't want to store the LLs junk
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 17th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 3,749 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    If you came home from work tonight and found the landlord had left an old hot tub in the garden, without talking to you, would you agree to pay him extra rent as the house is now better?

No.

Often you find the answer if you reverse the rolls.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 17th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    My long term plan is I hope to buy and rent out property in the future and be a much better LL than some I hear of. The actual house we are in is really nice and in good repair etc but I know if I supplied white goods I ensure they work and are in a good state. I'd feel guilty otherwise! I don't know why tennant's seem to be looked down on in this country. If you don't have a house by 30 you are seen as a bit of a loser.... That's another post! Thanks everyone for your opinions.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 17th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    saajan_12
    The washing machine however was really old and smelly so we suggested we use our own. Then the fridge / freezer broke after a few months so again rather than wait for a repair we used our own.
    Did you report the issues in a timely fashion though? My tenants recently told me the dishwasher I'd provided at their request last summer never worked. If they had mentioned it at the time, I could have pursued it via the manufacturer's warranty, but it is now too late for this. For older appliances, if you don't report issues for a long time it could get harder / impossible to find replacement parts.

Even if the tenants weren't bothered about it, I would have had a working dishwasher for the next tenants but will now have to pay for a repair.
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 17th Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    amateur house
    My long term plan is I hope to buy and rent out property in the future and be a much better LL than some I hear of. The actual house we are in is really nice and in good repair etc but I know if I supplied white goods I ensure they work and are in a good state. I'd feel guilty otherwise! I don't know why tennant's seem to be looked down on in this country. If you don't have a house by 30 you are seen as a bit of a loser.... That's another post! Thanks everyone for your opinions.
    I actually can't see any harm in asking for a reduction in rent for saving the landlord hassle in replacing the broken white goods, the worst that can happen is they say "No". I've never rented privately though, or been a landlord. Nice to hear you say you plan to be a good landlord. If the program on BBC 1 - The week the landlord moved in - is anything to go by a lot of landlords seem clueless! They used the phrase 'let it and forget it' to sum up their approach to being a landlord
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 17th Jul 17, 5:39 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Yes as soon as we moved in I reported the washing machine and I reported the fridge the day it broke. The agents have a very good system where its all recorded online.
    Yes I'd pay extra for a hot tub! Come on though that's a bit different. The LL doesn't know if we have the means to replace the white goods. A hot tub is a luxury but fridge and washer is an essential. I don't think its unreasonable to expect him to replace such things promptly if they break.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 3,728 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    It doesn't make any difference to rents whether there are white goods or not. Some people want them because they don't have any. Some people don't because they have got their own.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 17th Jul 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    rach_k
    I wouldn't ask out of fear that the landlord has a garage full of smelly, old-but-functional appliances that he would drop round for you rather than give you any money off! What would happen then?
    • BLOW FLY
    • By BLOW FLY 17th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    BLOW FLY
    Rather than ask for a direct rent reduction, what about asking for a small rental concession if you are faced with a rental increase in the future?

I think that would be my approach.

BF
    • konark
    • By konark 17th Jul 17, 11:42 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    konark
    Unless it's in the contract LLs have no duty to replace white goods.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 18th Jul 17, 6:15 AM
    • 15,808 Posts
    • 39,510 Thanks
    FBaby
    The actual house we are in is really nice and in good repair etc but I know if I supplied white goods I ensure they work and are in a good state
    I think you're looking at it the wrong way. The LL left the white goods because it was easier and he assumed that it could be used by new tenants. Otherwise, he would have got rid of them and the rent you paid would have been just the same. He probably saw it as doing you a favour, not that he wanted to rent the place with white goods and asking for a higher rent for it.

You could ask for a reduction, but even if he agreed, this could then be followed at the end of your fixed term by a notice of increase of rent.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 18th Jul 17, 9:33 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    You pay to rent them but if a washer costs £200 and is expected to last 5 years, that means you pay £3.33 a month.

So with 2 appliances you'd only really be looking at £6.66 a month reduction.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

1,221Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin