Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonathan675
    • By Jonathan675 17th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jonathan675
    CIFAS marker on my name for first party fraud
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    CIFAS marker on my name for first party fraud 17th Jul 17 at 4:30 PM
    Barcalys have put a CIFAS marker on my name for first party fraud.

It all started with lending my friend money here and there. After a few months I needed the money back, so my friend transferred me the money which was £300 into my account.

After a few days my online banking stopped working, I popped into the branch and they told me the money you recieved was fraudlent money, and my account will be closed because of that. I tried explaining what happened and that I literally didn't have a clue the money was fraudlent. But they was simply not interested.

After a few weeks I recieved my bank statement and it says 'account closing on 24th July 2017'.

So I thought no problems I'll take my business elsewhere, but every single bank I applied for, rejected me giving me hints about a CIFAS marker on my name for fraud.

Now, I don't understand why have I been called the fraudster? I recieved money that was owed to me and I cashed it out. I don't know how or where my friend got the money from, all I know is that I recieved my money and thats the end of it.

I have my student loan coming in real soon and I'm stuck without a bank to put the student loan into. I'm planning on dropping out my degree that's starting real soon because I won't have the money for resources.

I've requested a SAR from CIFAS and should be here in a few days.

How do I go about removing this CIFAS marker. It has really put my life on hold, as I literally cannot do anything without a bank account e.g. car insurance, bills, wages and contracts.

Will I have a good chance of getting this CIFAS marker removed? I'm starting to have sleepless nights just thinking about this CIFAS marker on my name.
Page 2
    • Sparx
    • By Sparx 8th Sep 17, 10:17 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Sparx
    No CIFAS markers last 6 years - like everything else in the credit report world.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 8th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    boo_star
    A CIFAS warning on your account is essentially the Financial Kiss of death you'll find anything you apply for that does even a soft credit search will automatically be declined.

Only Barclays can get it removed and you can't deal directly with CIFAS. There also dosent appear to be any sort of appeal or ombudsman oversight for CIFAS or atleast there wasn't when i dealt with them ten years ago

IT should drop off after a year
    Originally posted by lord tyrannus
    CIFAS say 6 years.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request

Cifas ‘first party fraud’ warnings remain in place for six years from the date of submission. Please note Cifas ‘first party fraud’ warnings will not appear on credit reports.
    • starM
    • By starM 8th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    starM
    I think best will be to Complaint to Barclays first. If Barclays turned down your complaint then you can contact CIFAS and raise a complaint with them.

Barclays will need to provide strong evidence to say why they think CIFAS marker should remain.
    • lord tyrannus
    • By lord tyrannus 9th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    lord tyrannus
    No CIFAS markers last 6 years - like everything else in the credit report world.
    Originally posted by Sparx

Use to be one year as the one I had dropped off after that period. That was over ten years ago and was slightly different to the OP in that I'd omitted a previous address from a current account application. Which in the banks eyes was "fraudulent"

Anyway if it does stay on for six years he's pretty screwed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin