Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • salesman1979
    • By salesman1979 17th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    salesman1979
    Landlords Post Coming To House
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    Landlords Post Coming To House 17th Jul 17 at 4:18 PM
    My landlords post comes to the house that I rent and there's a lot of it.

I noticed when I accidentally opened something thinking it was mine. He gets letters from the pensions regulator to a business he has registered here and a lot of the envelopes look like they're from debt collectors.

I have been marking them "return to sender or try xxxxxx" being his address as per my tenancy which is also right around the corner!

The volume of mail is now increasing rapidly. Should I just continue returning it or have a word with him about it?
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 17th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 11,104 Posts
    • 15,383 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    Just have a word with him. Really your landlord should set up a mail redirection or better still update his address.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    • 41,921 Posts
    • 48,516 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    Strictly speaking, it's not your problem. You can RTS, forward it to him, or bin it (yes, that's not interferring with the mail as the mail has been properly delivered).

But the nice tthing to do would be a friendly chat. Suggest he arrange re-direction (and/or advise everyone of his new address), but make clear you are not willing to constantly forward mail.

A helpful compromise might be to bundle it all up and deliver it en masse to him once a month - you therefore indicate your willingness to be helpful without committing to an onerous daily task. If he wants his mail more urgently, then he should arrange things himself!
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 17th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 2,791 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    Return to sender, not known at this address.

If they keep coming then bin.

Or do as G_M says monthly drop.
    • LdnFtB
    • By LdnFtB 17th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    LdnFtB
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    Something else to consider is that he may not be completely kosher with his arrangements for letting out the property. He might be letting out the property on a residential mortgage without informing the lender, so he hasn't changed his registered address with them.

By avoiding an official record of it being a buy-to-let it's a possibility that he's also avoiding tax - HMRC cross reference with mortgage records.

Might be a simple oversight on their part but also might be more to it than meets the eye. Given the number of debt collection letters it smells a bit fishy from here!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 41,921 Posts
    • 48,516 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    LdnFtb may be right. Or may not. There is no conclusive proof.
    but either way, that is a matter between the LL & his lender, or the LL and HMRC. None of the tenant's business really.

Provided the LL is managing the tenancy properly (deposit registration, repairs etc) there's no reason for the tenant to rock the boat.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 17th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    • 9,050 Posts
    • 11,970 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    Yes, £5 says he's on the fiddle, one way or another.

In your shoes I'd plan to move.. this doesn't sound (debts..) promising. It is easy to grass up a tax-cheat and he sounds like he could well be one... (if he's not, no harm done, eh?).
    https://www.gov.uk/report-an-unregistered-trader-or-business

I'd lay money he's not sorted all on permission-to-let (so you could be evicted sharpish..), landlord insurance (so if place burns down & you 'orribly maimed no payout), gas safety, electric safety etc etc etc...

I 'ate crooks 'n cheats....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,092Posts Today

8,778Users online

Martin's Twitter