Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BMonroe77
    • By BMonroe77 17th Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BMonroe77
    Interest on estate moneys
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    Interest on estate moneys 17th Jul 17 at 3:56 PM
    Iím the executor for a relativeís estate. Itís now 6 months since probate was granted (9 months since date of death) and I am about to distribute the estate to the beneficiaries. The money from the estate has been sitting in a separate personal account belonging to me since probate was granted and has accrued several hundred pounds interest.

(1) Do I need to declare this interest to the inland revenue, or complete any other further tax return before distributing the estate? (the estate was well below the £325,000 inheritance tax threshold)

(2) As an unpaid executor, am I allowed to keep the interest that has been earned? The reason I ask is because I have read that professional executors (eg. solicitors) are not obliged to pay any interest on estates they manage so long as they are distributed within a year of death.
Page 1
    • Jenniefour
    • By Jenniefour 17th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    Jenniefour
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    OP - I don't know what the 'correct' answer is to either of your questions but in your shoes I would be divvying up the interest as per the instructions in the will re distribution of funds to residual beneficiaries. You did have the option of declining to be executor.
    • MichelleUK
    • By MichelleUK 17th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    MichelleUK
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    Iím the executor for a relativeís estate. Itís now 6 months since probate was granted (9 months since date of death) and I am about to distribute the estate to the beneficiaries. The money from the estate has been sitting in a separate personal account belonging to me since probate was granted and has accrued several hundred pounds interest.

(1) Do I need to declare this interest to the inland revenue, or complete any other further tax return before distributing the estate? (the estate was well below the £325,000 inheritance tax threshold)

(2) As an unpaid executor, am I allowed to keep the interest that has been earned? The reason I ask is because I have read that professional executors (eg. solicitors) are not obliged to pay any interest on estates they manage so long as they are distributed within a year of death.
    Originally posted by BMonroe77
    1. Has the interest had any tax deducted? You do need to pay tax on any interest received. HMRC will probably deal with this informally rather than asking you to complete a Trust and Estates Return. Just write to them stating how much interest was received, in which tax years, any tax already deducted and they will let you know how much tax you owe.
    2. No, you are not allowed to keep the interest, nice try though
    The interest belongs to the residuary beneficiaries. Once you know the amount of tax paid, issue each beneficiary with a R185(Estate) showing them how much interest they have each received and how much tax has been suffered. It is then up to the beneficiaries to include the interest in their own tax affairs etc.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 29,463 Posts
    • 17,611 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    You should do 2 tax returns for the period of administration, HMRC may be happy with a letter with the amounts and any tax deducted at source.

That's what I sent for income to the estate they issued a refund and a demand without any further form filling.

When you distribute you include a tax credit for any tax paid by the estate.(many miss that step)
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 17th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:29 PM

Lay executors are not allowed to receive any payment for what they do. The interest is revenue of the estate and must be declared to HMR&C as such. See message #3 above.
    • MichelleUK
    • By MichelleUK 17th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    MichelleUK
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    ....The reason I ask is because I have read that professional executors (eg. solicitors) are not obliged to pay any interest on estates they manage so long as they are distributed within a year of death.
    This relates to interest payable, to the beneficiaries, if the executor is slow in actually distributing the estate.It does not mean interest that that estate is earning from a third party.
    • Crabapple
    • By Crabapple 17th Jul 17, 6:39 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 7,081 Thanks
    Crabapple
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:39 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:39 PM
    Solicitors are definitely not allowed to keep interest that accrues on funds held.

You may be confusing this with a requirement to add interest to a legacy of a specific sum of money if not paid within a year.

It's due to the beneficiaries and the posts above cover how to deal with it. Usually a letter to HMRC is enough but will depend how much money and how complex.
    Daughter born January 2012 Son born February 2014

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

424Posts Today

5,792Users online

Martin's Twitter