Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,864Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 73
    • jules81
    • By jules81 10th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    jules81
    Right I was 317 this morning so need to loose 12 off that. I am doing high ish protein-I ashamed but I binge eat ; (

B eggs and bacon
    L sausage and cheese
    T gammon

Coffee with semi skimmed milk x3 and water

I managed a Dog walk today ( i have ME so struggle with my steps) but did 6500 today

Mallygirl I like the sound of your soup

Xxxx
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 4,297 Posts
    • 40,798 Thanks
    Frith
    B - granola and yoghurt

L - squash soup then a bit of carrot soup to try it! Whole meal then sour dough bread (cooked by a friend).

T - jack Monroe’s vegan lasagne
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 10th Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 53,650 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all

B.......spicy porridge, t/s syrup and s cream

L.......scrambles on one wm toast. conference pear

D......hm beef bourgignon, steamed veggies and mash spud. Bramley and bio yoghurt

Hope you all staying warm and dry
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213...2015=3421...2016=3238...2017=2702..JAN=197.44/310
    GrocC.2014=2162...2015=2083...2016=218...2017=1996..JAN=111.57/200
    Bulk buy.......JAN=112.08
    GC.NSD..2015=216..2016=213..2017=229..JAN=12/15
    SPC130x61...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616...2017=3843
    OS WL= -1/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £12,140
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 7,315 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning All

B: lo carb granola, berries and skim
    L: homemade kale & bacon soup - with a random portion of dhal I found in the freezer thrown in for bulk!
    D: chicken kebabs, salad, spicy couscous

50 min dog walk

I am starting to see some space in the freezer
    Soon I hope to be able to get everything in its correct drawer - I have a drawer for meat, one for fish (well away from the icecubes), one for 'bread', one for fruit, one for veg and 2 little ones for desserts/icecream and twiddly bits.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 11th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 28,721 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I went for a healthy breakfast yesterday with my friend so that we could meal plan (loosely) for the week ahead. Todays food

Breakfast : bacon medallions on small wholemeal bread
    Lunch : courgette and light garlic cream cheese soup
    Dinner : chicken and vegetable fried rice
    Snacks : 2 asda ginger nuts
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 11th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 11,038 Thanks
    Florence J
    Hi guys.

Like many people I have joined a gym in the new year, but this was mainly because I am now back in work so can afford it.

I have also arranged to have one PT session a month, would like more but my budget is already being severely restrained by just having one so will leave it like that.

I have no problem with using gym equipment but exercise classes scare the hell out of me so I am trying to find a way to build up my confidence to give that a try.

One thing I'm going to struggle with is dinners, and this is why.

Breakfast and Lunch (at least during the week) are fine as I eat them separately to OH so can prep something healthy (i.e. something he wouldn't eat).

But dinners are difficult, for these reasons.

OH is stick thin and likes large portions, part of my weight gain is from matching his portion sizes.

OH hates fish and eats some meat. I don't eat meat and love fish (luckily OH does like and has no problem with meat replacement things like quorn and LM)

OH is very fussy, and generally the rule of thumb is my favourite foods are his least favourite.

OH is an unadventurous eater, whereas I love trying new things.

OH doesn't like eating things that are too similar/the same in quick succession whereas I am happy to batch cook something and eat it all week.

And the big one is OH doesn't cook.

Generally our dinners are jacket potatoes, burgers, mexican wraps, lasagne, SW Macaroni cheese, HM Indian, HM Chinese, pies, bangers and mash, toad in the hole, pizza, spag bol, spag meatballs.

So not really the healthiest options, and we go through a lot of cheese.

Basically my PT wants me to eat 1550 calories a day, with 1-2 cheat meals a week, and I am going to struggle to do that if I am eating those sort of dinners still every night, as I know from previously listing things on MyFitnessPal that they will make up most of my days calories. So it might be possible, but I would feel like I am starving during the day just to eat a massive dinner when I would prefer to have smaller meals.

What I guess I am looking for is meals which can be dressed up for OH, and dressed down for me. Has anyone experienced something like this and can offer any advice?
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2195.92
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3168.45/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Jan 18, 3:09 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 7,315 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    My DH eats bigger portions than me (but really shouldn't) so I just have to put my foot down sometimes and stop him. I made something the other night that would serve 3 and was busy when it came to serving up so he just filled 2 massive bowls - I would have put a slightly smaller 3rd portion straight in the fridge for my lunch the next day.
    In your case I would consider modular meals. I mean meals where either a meat option of a fish option would go with everything else. You still need to cook the 2 options but the rest is common.

I would just recommend not getting sucked into behaviour that doesn't work for you
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 11th Jan 18, 3:21 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 11,038 Thanks
    Florence J
    My DH eats bigger portions than me (but really shouldn't) so I just have to put my foot down sometimes and stop him. I made something the other night that would serve 3 and was busy when it came to serving up so he just filled 2 massive bowls - I would have put a slightly smaller 3rd portion straight in the fridge for my lunch the next day.
    In your case I would consider modular meals. I mean meals where either a meat option of a fish option would go with everything else. You still need to cook the 2 options but the rest is common.

I would just recommend not getting sucked into behaviour that doesn't work for you
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Thank you MallyGirl, there are some good ideas in there.

Jacket Potatoes are an obvious meal where I could have mine with cottage cheese or something and OH can have full fat cheese and chicken on the side.

Some of the meals can definitely be made leaner then they currently are.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 11th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 28,721 Thanks
    CRANKY40

Generally our dinners are jacket potatoes, burgers, mexican wraps, lasagne, SW Macaroni cheese, HM Indian, HM Chinese, pies, bangers and mash, toad in the hole, pizza, spag bol, spag meatballs.
    Originally posted by Florence J
    You could have your burger between two portobello mushrooms, he can have a burger bun. Bangers and mash is easy enough - if you buy good quality sausages with a high meat content they'll be fine for you and you can add butter to his half of the mash but not yours. Spag bol is healthy enough - give him crusty bread or garlic bread with his meal. Lasagne - use low fat cheese and give him doughballs or garlic bread with his while you have a side salad. You could make fish pie for you and cottage pie for him and use the same mashed potato topping for both. One portion of each can go in the freezer for an easy meal another time or make cottage pie with buttery mash on his half and root veg mash on your half.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 11th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 11,038 Thanks
    Florence J
    You could have your burger between two portobello mushrooms, he can have a burger bun. Bangers and mash is easy enough - if you buy good quality sausages with a high meat content they'll be fine for you and you can add butter to his half of the mash but not yours. Spag bol is healthy enough - give him crusty bread or garlic bread with his meal. Lasagne - use low fat cheese and give him doughballs or garlic bread with his while you have a side salad. You could make fish pie for you and cottage pie for him and use the same mashed potato topping for both. One portion of each can go in the freezer for an easy meal another time or make cottage pie with buttery mash on his half and root veg mash on your half.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Thank you for your suggestions
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 7,315 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Lasagne is a good one. I have very little meat in my version and could easily swap it for Quorn. Sometimes I add lentils but DD doesn't really like them and complains. I use fresh pasta sheets as it seems to cook better - my serves 6 version uses less than 1 packet. The ragu has grated carrot, maybe grated courgette or finely chopped aubergine, lots of tomato, onion, mushrooms, peppers. I only put a few drops of white sauce (or none) in the intervening layers and make it lightly cheesy for the top as I don't like cheese. DD and DH who do like cheese just add it at the table.
    A very generous portion, which I serve with a green salad, comes in at 407 cals but feels much naughtier.
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 11th Jan 18, 7:59 PM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 53,650 Thanks
    lynnejk
    One thing I'm going to struggle with is dinners, and this is why...

But dinners are difficult, for these reasons....

OH is stick thin and likes large portions, part of my weight gain is from matching his portion sizes.

OH hates fish and eats some meat. I don't eat meat and love fish (luckily OH does like and has no problem with meat replacement things like quorn and LM)

OH is very fussy, and generally the rule of thumb is my favourite foods are his least favourite.

OH is an unadventurous eater, whereas I love trying new things.

OH doesn't like eating things that are too similar/the same in quick succession whereas I am happy to batch cook something and eat it all week..........

So not really the healthiest options, and we go through a lot of cheese...........
    Originally posted by Florence J
    I have a similar problem, but it just needs a bit of thought and ahead planning to make, what appears to be, two different plates.

I think to start with you could do your usual meals for 3/4 days a week, bulking out your DH's meals with some form of bread, potatoes/rice/pasta and having a smaller portion for yourself with extra veggies/salads (where you can be a bit more exotic)

If you batch-baked some big pots of 'stuff', some of them your favs and some DH's, then froze in single portions then you could do these on some of the other days, bulking as preferred again.

Days when you want fish/he wants meat, then cook yourself a piece of fish and DH a couple of chops/meaty sausages/burgers, filling plates as above. HTH

Today

B..........spicy porridge

L..........Grilled tomatoes and cheese on one wm toast. conference pear

D.........hm tuna pasta with salad. fresh pineapple with bio yoghurt

Hope you all have a great Friday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213...2015=3421...2016=3238...2017=2702..JAN=197.44/310
    GrocC.2014=2162...2015=2083...2016=218...2017=1996..JAN=111.57/200
    Bulk buy.......JAN=112.08
    GC.NSD..2015=216..2016=213..2017=229..JAN=12/15
    SPC130x61...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616...2017=3843
    OS WL= -1/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £12,140
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 11th Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 11,038 Thanks
    Florence J
    Thanks Lynnejk, and everyone.

Tried going through some recipe books with OH and so far it hasn't been promising, at best I've had a 'maybe' from some recipes.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 11th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    katiepants
    Pleased to report I've lost 3lbs so far. Just 17 to go...
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 11th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 6,877 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    B coffee
    L left over rissotto from last night
    S. Tea and some chocolate...all gone now
    D. Turkey stirfry with brown rice, slice of melon, cup of tea.
    Exercise, ...walk to shop on my own briskly, and bottoming out the laundry room...my back is aching!

Day off tomorrow- I just need to put client dinner in a slow oven for when they want it....so I'm hoping for a run.

My tastes are not the same as the client so I hope I do not have to eat with them all the time.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 11th Jan 18, 10:33 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 6,877 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    FJ....have fun at lunch with your food, make it your main meal, cook for your OH in the evening and just toy with a bowl of soup or a salad in the evening.
    Or he could cook his own.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 12th Jan 18, 8:30 AM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 9,232 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    STS for me please knitwitch. I haven't hit my stride yet, the mealtimes are better but I had a disastrous afternoon snack yesterday and ate HALF a lemon drizzle cake I still can't quite believe it myself!

I need to up the exercise too as I only did one walk/jog, and then had such sore feet that I couldn't go again since. I'm going to just stick to walking for the moment.

Florence I have a problem with an overweight husband who over indulges. He will buy supermarket "meal for 2" and say it's just for him, order 2 starters in restaurants, finish a big meal then sit in front of tv and ask what's for pudding. If you find a way to deal with your man, please let me know!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 12th Jan 18, 8:58 AM
    • 3,561 Posts
    • 32,808 Thanks
    dolly84
    dandy-candy - I hope that cake was nice.

1lb off for me please KnitWitch. Not great but it's a start.

I cycled yesterday for the first time in over a week, it was good, I didn't do any of the massive hills we have around here but it is hilly generally so I had to go up and down some.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 12th Jan 18, 10:42 AM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 7,315 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning All

B: lo carb granola, berries and skim
    L: homemade kale & bacon & dhal soup. Second half left from yesterday
    D: curry night - unavoidable

50 min dog walk

scales aren't looking that hopeful atm - usually they track down during the week and go up at the weekend but this week have stayed constant.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 3,312 Posts
    • 42,135 Thanks
    monnagran
    Let 2018's battle of the bulge commence.

I .can report a loss of [COLOR="Red"COLOR] 2lbs.

It would have been more if the village shop was not selling off malt loaves at half price. It was delicious.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,499Posts Today

8,948Users online

Martin's Twitter