Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,852Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 71
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 6th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 5,151 Posts
    • 53,596 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Afternoon all

Today

B.........spicy porridge

L.........l/o hm salmon fishcake with peas and sweetcorn. conference pear

D........hm pizza topped with tuna, anchovies and olives. baked apple with dates and bio yoghurt

Hope you're all having a great weekend
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213...2015=3421...2016=3238...2017=2702..JAN=197.44/310
    GrocC.2014=2162...2015=2083...2016=218...2017=1996..JAN=85.56/200
    Bulk buy.......JAN=112.08
    GC.NSD..2015=216..2016=213..2017=229..JAN=12/15
    SPC130x61...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616...2017=3843
    OS WL= -1/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £12,140
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 6th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Wjat i mean is, what shpuld i choose to eat, not where to go? Please....i do indian home cooking....
    Originally posted by TiredTrophy
    Sorry I can't help as I don't eat Indian food out
    V3ry - £479.60
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 6th Jan 18, 7:35 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Remember today is the first day of less of you in 2018

So far today I have had :-

B - err none
    L - 3 Quorn Cumberland Sausages in a large Wholemeal Bap and a squirt of HP
    D - Cauldron Marinated Tofu in a stir fry with Rainbow Chard, Babycorn, Sugar Snap peas and Spring Onions

Drinks - a pint of water with a small amount of sugar free Lemon and Lime and 8 cups of tea

Still have 550 calories in hand so that will be another large brew (equivalent to 2 cups) and maybe some cheese on crispbreads.
    V3ry - £479.60
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 6th Jan 18, 10:36 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,800 Thanks
    Sue14
    Well the first day has gone well, I've had some snacks but still stayed within my calorie limit.

B 2 shredded wheat with skimmed milk
    L Low fat cheese and pickle sandwich
    D Bowl of cornflakes with skimmed milk
    S 2 pieces of shortbread, a packet of skips and a packet of quavers (aldi's own brand equivalent)
    Drinks 3 cups of coffee, latte with skimmed milk, cup of tea, half pint of water
    Exercise 35 minutes of brisk walking
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 28lbs

• Carmen
    • By Carmen 7th Jan 18, 5:33 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    Carmen
    Good morning ladies,
    Knit witch, a bit late but could you put me down for 3kg for the new challenge. Although I have no confidence for the remainder of my holiday I hope to rectify this when I return home. If this challenge runs for 12 weeks that should give me a month to get my mojo back before the next challenge starts 🙏
    Hugs to all that need one, but I hope you are all well? I am going to catch up on the back posts in bed tonight.
    Carmen x
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 7th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 455 Posts
    • 6,873 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Had tarka dal, something with paneer and a piece of someones bread.

No access to scales until i can buy some....but recorded starting weight before leaving home...
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 7th Jan 18, 1:31 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Good morning ladies,
    Knit witch, a bit late but could you put me down for 3kg for the new challenge. Although I have no confidence for the remainder of my holiday I hope to rectify this when I return home. If this challenge runs for 12 weeks that should give me a month to get my mojo back before the next challenge starts 🙏
    Hugs to all that need one, but I hope you are all well? I am going to catch up on the back posts in bed tonight.
    Carmen x
    Originally posted by Carmen
    No problem Carmen - I've got you added now
    V3ry - £479.60
    • CathA
    • By CathA 7th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,371 Thanks
    CathA
    Not surprisingly I've actually lost weight over the last few weeks. What with the several hospital admissions with the PIL's, plus the emergency doctor's call out the Thursday after Christmas, it's been a very stressful few weeks with them. And to add in my daughter is buying a house (baaaad idea over the Christmas break!) plus now hubby has the flu and he's never ill. He does all the cooking and he doesn't want to eat anything, so we've been living on soup and toast the last few days. I'm over the cold I had, luckily that didn't develop into anything serious (convinced the flu jab helped that) so all in all with the gains and losses over the last few weeks (and there were some gains!), I'm about where I was before Christmas (ish).
    I haven't done as much walking as normal, too often in the car driving backwards and forwards to hospital, doctors, looking at houses etc, but hopefully things will return to some semblance of normality soon -I can hope! Most days I walk at least 3 miles, but not managed that unless it's been a day I've been at work.
    Anyway, my new daily mantra is - Today will be a better day. Working so far!
    I'm going to put down 2 lbs for this challenge, but I'd be happy where I am now, just in my head I want to have that bit of wriggle room, and a flatter stomach please but let's not be greedy!

Happy Sunday and happy new year everyone x
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 7th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 9,922 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Weighed in on Friday the 5th which I understand was the first day of this new challenge.. horror of horrors I've put on 7lb - back to the diet. I'm going to use my weigh-in weight at the end of the last challenge as my starting point for this one so I'll leave officially recording my weight until I get back down there - hope all that makes sense.

Yesterday was good all vegetables done as a stir fry.
    Today will probably be the same plus 2 x cup a soup (it's very cold here)
    Jan grocery £50 per week
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 7th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Carmen … 0/6.6
    CathA … 0/2
    CRANKY40 … 0/0.5
    Dandy-candy … 0/4
    Dolly84 … 0/14
    Dumpling … 0/20
    Florence J … 0/12
    Frith … 0/21
    FurryBeastOz … 0/18
    Gresleyrover … 0/7
    Jules81 … 0/10
    Katiepants … 0/20
    Knit Witch … 0/4
    Lynnejk … 0/8
    Maisie M … 0/14
    Mally Girl … 0/7
    Meekie … 0/22
    Monnagran … 0/7
    Sa1sysoo … 0/12
    SIRENS … 0/9
    Ssue14 … 0/10
    Tessie bear … 0/8
    Thriftmonster … 0/10
    TiredTrophy … 0/17.6
    X Duvessa X … 0/11
    Zafiro1984 … 0/14

0 st 0 lb
    V3ry - £479.60
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 7th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 9,225 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Firstly great big (low calorie) hugs to Cath - I hope you are recovered soon.

Today THIS is what i have had to deal with. Yesterday DH and I had a blazing row and went to bed not speaking to each other. I got up this morning still fuming so went out and when i got back I went straight up to bed for a nap. I woke up to a vase of roses on the bedside table and came down to....fresh cream swiss roll, chocolate milk and jam doughnuts

I HAVE NO SELF CONTROL!! I love him and it was sweet of him but now I've blown my diet and its my fault
    • Frith
    • By Frith 7th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 40,764 Thanks
    Frith
    B - had a lie in

L - part baked rolls with chicken, soft cheese, avocado, pepper and tomato

T - sausage casserole
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 7th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 9,225 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Knitwitch I've completely lost track, are we meant to weigh in today?
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 7th Jan 18, 8:18 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Knitwitch I've completely lost track, are we meant to weigh in today?
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    The challenge started yesterday so depending when your usual weigh in day is will be your first weigh in of this challenge!
    V3ry - £479.60
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 7th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 15,216 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    I took it gently today. It was freeezing but I went for a long walk as it was glorious and sunny.

B - PPorridge
    L - HM Ham And Pea Soup, Pitta bread
    D - Cajun chicken and roasted veg

First weigh in tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
    Goals - Weight loss 5/26lb at 15th Jan 18
    • Moneyx3
    • By Moneyx3 8th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Moneyx3
    Hi, can I join in please. I could do with getting a bit of weight off.
    £1k emergency fund £30
    Weight loss challenge 3/12
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 8th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 15,216 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    YYyyyyay. Down 5lbs please. I went from Jan 1st for a nice rounded feeling

B - PPorridge
    L - Protein Shake. I’m on the go all day
    D - YS Tesco Curry.

Off to the gym shortly. Unlikely to be back in before 8pm. Lots of little bits to do all day. Hoping to rack up only my 2nd 10,000 steps of the year.

Good luck everyone.
    Goals - Weight loss 5/26lb at 15th Jan 18
    • X Duvessa X
    • By X Duvessa X 8th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    X Duvessa X
    Mondays are my normal weigh in day pretty pleased with 3lb off its only the first week though.
    Jan GC £40.20/£50 NSD 12
    Jan - Mar WLC 4/11
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 8th Jan 18, 3:26 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 7,304 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Afternoon All

B: lo carb granola, berries and skim
    L: homemade split pea soup from freezer
    D: leftover roast beef somehow

50 min dog walk

I am going to need a walk round the block or my steps total will be a long way off 10,000 for the day.

Had a couple of health shocks at the weekend - it seems the 'big M' is not as over as I thought Then I had a checkup at the optician and was told I have developed something called PCO since my cataract op which means I will probably need more surgery. I can live with the somewhat blurred vision I have right now, as it is only 1 eye affected, but would have to get it sorted if it got much worse - more lasers.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 8th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hi, can I join in please. I could do with getting a bit of weight off.
    Originally posted by Moneyx3
    Not a problem - welcome to the thread (and do you want to join in the challenge?)
    V3ry - £479.60
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,111Posts Today

8,535Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• Follow Martin