Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,858Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 70
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 4th Jan 18, 12:02 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 7,310 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Is that your dog on your avatar? I expect they will need a lot of exercise, we have a lab (9 in February) and he needs a good run to really stretch his legs.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    yes that is one of my dogs. She will be 8 in April. I also have a 4 yr old boy of the same breed. They would take as much exercise as we can give them - free time is the limiting factor. The big thing is that they cannot be trusted off lead so any miles they need I have to do too. They only get to run if I take them to train in the forest at 6am on a Sunday - it hasn't happened much recently as I have just been so tired/busy.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 4th Jan 18, 12:07 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 7,310 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning All

B: lo carb granola, berries and skim
    L: homemade butternut soup from freezer
    D: chipolatas (eating out of the freezer as it is chocca), veg, wedges

50 min dog walk
    I actually went for a walk to the shop last night (for something that wasn't that urgent) just to make my 10,000 steps. Hoping this is the start of a new mindset.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 4th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    FBO
    How about following a stretch vlog on youtube? Then a nice walk and a bath this evening?

A lovely friend just came round to help me pack...I have never had such beautifully folded and colour coordinated contents in my life...I don't think I knew I had such combinations in my cupboard.

And I still have 3.5kg left for those last minute stuff down the edge things.

B. Sliver of panetone and coffee
    L endive and smoked bacon, a tiny banana and another sliver of panetone with more coffee
    D. Dinner will be salmon with potatoes and mixed steamed veg. DH can finish the discovered bottle of white wine in the back of the fridge and eat the last slice of cheesecake.
    • X Duvessa X
    • By X Duvessa X 4th Jan 18, 12:33 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    X Duvessa X
    Hi all

B: 2 hard boiled eggs
    L: HM butternut squash soup from freezer and a satsuma
    D: Chickpea crumble

That brings me in at 742 calories and 76g of carbs. Probably need to find some no carb snacks to make up some calories. First time making the Chickpea crumble from thrifty Lesley's blog so we will see how that goes.
    Last edited by X Duvessa X; 04-01-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Jan GC £40.20/£50 NSD 12
    Jan - Mar WLC 4/11
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 4th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 15,218 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    dolly84
    reporting back to say 25 and counting. 15 of slices, and bits to make a pasta bake for 4 I would say. Also, at least 6 portions of soup.

TiredTrophy Just taken a very very slow walk round the block. Great idea about stretches. Iíll try that before I go out to my meeting this evening. Iím planning to park well away from the hall so I can get some extra steps in.
    Goals - Weight loss 5/26lb at 15th Jan 18
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 4th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 9,226 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Hi all,

B: didn't have time!
    L: scrambled egg on toast
    D: chicken pie with mash topping, baked beans and broccoli
    S: 3 biscuits *blush*

I'm trying to shrink my portion sizes and avoid snacking as much as I used to (which was a lot).

Might be tmi, but any recommended exercises for saggy tummy caused by having kids? My youngest is nearly 19 and at the time my tummy shrank back pretty well but in the last 7/8 years as I've got fatter it's started to hang down over the front of my knickers
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 4th Jan 18, 10:31 PM
    • 5,152 Posts
    • 53,608 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all

I'm really fed up with the horrible, cold, dreary, wet weather now

B......spicy porridge

L......cheese and tomato on one hm toast. conference pear

D.....omelette with salad. bramley apple with a few sultanas and bio yoghurt

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213...2015=3421...2016=3238...2017=2702..JAN=197.44/310
    GrocC.2014=2162...2015=2083...2016=218...2017=1996..JAN=85.56/200
    Bulk buy.......JAN=112.08
    GC.NSD..2015=216..2016=213..2017=229..JAN=12/15
    SPC130x61...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616...2017=3843
    OS WL= -1/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £12,140
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 4th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,800 Thanks
    Sue14
    Ok, so I signed up for the last challenge, lost 2 pounds and then went off the rails again, consequently I am now 8 pounds heavier than I was at the beginning of the last challenge!

This year I have to get my act together, get my weight under control again, and hopefully get to my goal weight at last. At the moment I feel like a beached whale, and am totally disgusted with myself, but still can't stop stuffing my face with the leftover crap from Christmas. Hopefully I'll get the last few bits finished in the next few days, and as I'm planning on avoiding the shops as much as possible this month, I should be ok to avoid the naughties.

Please can I be put down for 10lbs for this challenge.

Happy new year all.

Sue
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 28lbs

• Frith
    • By Frith 4th Jan 18, 11:57 PM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 40,772 Thanks
    Frith
    B - granola and yoghurt

L - pork roll from our village butcher

T - small piece of pizza plus HM sweet potato wedges
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 5th Jan 18, 8:31 AM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 12,904 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Oh dear yesterday did not go as planned. Had my breakfast and by lunchtime my sore throat and cough turned into some sort of lurgey which had me in bed for the whole day. Temp was 102 and I was shivering even when in bed with duvet, blanket and a hot water bottle. Slept well and feel a bit better today but will make no plans and just see how it goes.

Hopefully I will be back to normal tomorrow as I have lots to do before I start back to work.
    GC Jan 2018 £144.65/£250
    Lbs lost 6 Jan 18 - 30 Mar 18 - 1.5/14
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 5th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 32,621 Thanks
    dolly84
    dolly84
    reporting back to say 25 and counting. 15 of slices, and bits to make a pasta bake for 4 I would say. Also, at least 6 portions of soup.
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    Well done.

Hi all,

B: didn't have time!
    L: scrambled egg on toast
    D: chicken pie with mash topping, baked beans and broccoli
    S: 3 biscuits *blush*

I'm trying to shrink my portion sizes and avoid snacking as much as I used to (which was a lot).

Might be tmi, but any recommended exercises for saggy tummy caused by having kids? My youngest is nearly 19 and at the time my tummy shrank back pretty well but in the last 7/8 years as I've got fatter it's started to hang down over the front of my knickers
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    Have a look online/youtube for some core exercises, this will strengthen the muscles underneath the saggy area and as the weight is shifted it will look better but it won't go away I'm afraid.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 5th Jan 18, 8:38 AM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 32,621 Thanks
    dolly84
    I got on the scales this morning and it was a horror story. I will go for a run today as the gale force winds and rain seem to have stopped. I will start properly on Sunday with the whole challenge.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 7,310 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning All

D: curry night

50 min dog walk - will be glad when DH goes back to work as he lets his dog dawdle so much!

The scales are already looking better
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 5th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 5,152 Posts
    • 53,608 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Oh dear yesterday did not go as planned. Had my breakfast and by lunchtime my sore throat and cough turned into some sort of lurgey which had me in bed for the whole day. Temp was 102 and I was shivering even when in bed with duvet, blanket and a hot water bottle. Slept well and feel a bit better today but will make no plans and just see how it goes.

Hopefully I will be back to normal tomorrow as I have lots to do before I start back to work.
    Originally posted by Maisie M
    Hope you soon feeling better - sending some gws vibes.

B.......spicy porridge

L.......poached egg on one wm toast. conference pear

D......hm salmon fishcakes with some veggies. Banana and bio yoghurt

Hope you all have a great weekend
    Lx
    Last edited by lynnejk; 05-01-2018 at 1:12 PM.
    £10day.2014=3213...2015=3421...2016=3238...2017=2702..JAN=197.44/310
    GrocC.2014=2162...2015=2083...2016=218...2017=1996..JAN=85.56/200
    Bulk buy.......JAN=112.08
    GC.NSD..2015=216..2016=213..2017=229..JAN=12/15
    SPC130x61...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616...2017=3843
    OS WL= -1/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £12,140
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 7,310 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning All

D: curry night

50 min dog walk - will be glad when DH goes back to work as he lets his dog dawdle so much!
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Sabotaged by DH yet again! He went shopping for berries and milk. He came back with all sorts of YS 'bargains' from the Waitrose deli counter for a nice lunch - big pot of pate, houmous, chorizo, 2 sorts of bread! Grrr!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 5th Jan 18, 4:35 PM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 40,772 Thanks
    Frith
    Today

B - granola and yoghurt

L - toast with tuna, peppers, tomatoes, avocados and cheese

T - HM chicken curry
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 5th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    In london, whats a good choice in an indian restaurant?
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 5th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Wjat i mean is, what shpuld i choose to eat, not where to go? Please....i do indian home cooking....
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 6th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 32,621 Thanks
    dolly84

Originally posted by Maisie M
    Hope you feel better soon.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 6th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 40,772 Thanks
    Frith
    L - mug of tomato soup, celery with hummus

T - beef casserole with dumplings
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

2,312Users online

Martin's Twitter