Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,342Posts
    • 17,803Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 62
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 4th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 4,182 Posts
    • 28,848 Thanks
    tessie bear
    monnagran all the best what you have put on might disappear as quick as it has appeared i hope you get more settled soon as xx
    on the brink...
    • CathA
    • By CathA 4th Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 4,306 Thanks
    CathA
    Up a bit, down a bit-it's like The Golden Shot here! (showing my age there). Gained a wee bit so total loss so far is .6 lb. I reckon I'm at my body's ideal weight now, (not my head's idea of ideal weight, tho!) and I just can't seem to get any lower. I think it's because of the 'mostly' diet- mostly I eat ok, mostly I don't have (many) puddings,mostly I don't snack much, apart from Sunday evenings for some reason, and mostly I have cut down on the cheese, crisps and biscuits. I can mostly manage without the cheese and crisps, but not the biscuits. However, I've cut down on the number of biscuits, although I expect I'll get given some for Christmas and know I'll eat them (mostly on my own!) See where I'm going with the mostly? I'm better than I was, I don't eat a whole packet in a day and can limit myself to one at a time.
    Also, giving up smoking (again, mostly!) has definitely not helped with the weight issues. Ho hum.
    Anyway, that's my little moan for the day. Well done everyone, we're all trying and that's the main thing.

Happy Monday everyone. x
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 4th Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 10,278 Thanks
    Florence J
    I'm so happy to finally see a smiley face by my name. It will keep me motivated.

I put my success down to a 2 hour go on the exercise bike on Sunday, that's the longest I have ever done on the bike, I was very pleased.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2129.92
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 5th Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 31,323 Thanks
    dolly84
    Well done everyone, we're all trying and that's the main thing.
    Originally posted by CathA
    Absolutely.

I'm so happy to finally see a smiley face by my name. It will keep me motivated.

I put my success down to a 2 hour go on the exercise bike on Sunday, that's the longest I have ever done on the bike, I was very pleased.
    Originally posted by Florence J
    I don't know how you do such long periods, I have a spinning bike for when the weather is too bad to go cycling and I get so bored, I can do 20 minutes not much more.

Cycled yesterday morning and ran in the evening, cycled this morning and will run again this evening. Food has been OK apart from some of DS's food tech cup cakes and a biccie or two.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Up a bit, down a bit-it's like The Golden Shot here! (showing my age there).
    Bernie the Bolt!

I reckon I'm at my body's ideal weight now, (not my head's idea of ideal weight, tho!) and I just can't seem to get any lower. I think it's because of the 'mostly' diet
    This definitely resonated with me. I seem to be stuck at this weight even though I would rather be half a stone less.
    I also have a mostly diet but it is at the weekly level - most of the week I stick to my cal limit of 1450 and don't drink alcohol (cheese/biscuits aren't my thing fortunately). Then Friday night DH insists on a curry and we have started to go out rather than get a takeaway as DD gets a lift home from band now so we don't have to go and collect her. I can nurse one can of Strongbow through a takeaway but eating out means 3 pints of Kingfisher
    Food tends to be still pretty good at the weekend but there will be G&slimline T both days and probably crisps or similar. There may also be toast after cereal or 'a little something' mid morning as I am married to Pooh Bear! I might also have a glass of wine. The chances of some sort of event in the run up to Christ,mas is pretty high too. I just can't stick to 1450 on Fri/Sat/Sun and I can't drop lower than that during the week. When I say can't - I mean won't.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    WI today and it is another STS
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    Stoke
    Although not a recipe, I've found you can eat burger and chips at least twice a week and still lose weight.

For the burger:
    5% (or less) mince.
    Frylight (coconut is nice, butter is good) instead of cooking oil or cook in the oven.
    Brown Burger Baps.
    A small amount of the very light Primula cheese.

Chips:
    Bog standard potatoes from ALDI, only about 2 quid for a massive bag.
    Cut into chips.... duh.
    Air fryer, cover the pan in frylight so they don't stick.
    Cover the chips with plenty of frylight

Cook at about 140 degrees for 18 minutes, remove the pan and shake them to ensure they're being evenly coated with oil and heat. Cook at 170 for another 15, and then set to 200, for another 5 or so just to give them a nice crispy and brown effect.

I've been losing weight for months and this is a meal I will regularly eat, as I say, often two or three times a week.... just because I love it
    Last edited by Stoke; 05-12-2017 at 3:35 PM.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 5th Dec 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 10,278 Thanks
    Florence J
    I don't know how you do such long periods, I have a spinning bike for when the weather is too bad to go cycling and I get so bored, I can do 20 minutes not much more.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    I put on a film and try to keep going for as long as possible. I was watching Die Hard 2 that day.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2129.92
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 6th Dec 17, 8:57 AM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 31,323 Thanks
    dolly84
    MallyGirl - I'm the same, I spend the week undoing the damage of the weekend which would be fine if I was at my target weight.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 6th Dec 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 9,821 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    MallyGirl - I'm the same, I spend the week undoing the damage of the weekend which would be fine if I was at my target weight.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    MallyGirl and Dolly I know exactly where you are coming from. I lost a fair bit initially but then my weight has plateaued for the last couple of months, lose a bit -gain a bit, we all know the cause.

Then last Friday I had an awful shock. I wont dwell on the details but I was told I need a whole days testing at one of the London Heart Hospitals and depending on the results there is a chance I can't have my open heart surgery never mind the increased risk of a heart attack and stroke

Since last Friday I have lost 3lb - (surprise surprise) and my BMI is now 30. So please everyone losing weight is no joke, I just wish I'd made the effort to stay at a normal weight many years ago and I would not be in this situation.

On a positive note - this is a great thread, I couldn't have lost what I have without you all. We all know what to do to lose weight it's just a matter of sticking with it. This has been my 'daily read' and so much better than any slimming club which only meets once a week - Thank you Knit Witch (I'm now getting upset/emotional so enough said)
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 6th Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Fingers crossed that it works out right for you zafiro1984

Having lost a fair bit of weight (3.5 stone) starting when DD was about 6 months old I was so cross with myself when I had put quite a lot of it back on in time for her 14th birthday.
    I am never going to let that happen again.
    I have weeded all the bigger clothes out of the wardrobe and, at the moment, am sticking to wearing the same small set of nicely fitting clothes as they will alert me to volume creep even if the scales don't show it.
    I am planning for early retirement (in 10 yrs time, at 60) and am determined to be able to enjoy it to the full.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 6th Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 4,182 Posts
    • 28,848 Thanks
    tessie bear
    plus 1 lb for me knitwitch...these lbs keep finding me xx
    on the brink...
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 6th Dec 17, 9:50 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 6,627 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Oh dear Z. I do hope a way is found to get you well.

St Nicholas visited today and I ate chocolate. DH is being made redundant so another international move is likely...nice of them to do it when he's burying his father-not!

No access to scales...not feeling slim

Grand baby delightful and very loud.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 7th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 31,323 Thanks
    dolly84
    zafiro/tiredtrophy - thinking of you both and wish I could give you both a big real life hug.

mallygirl - I almost live in skinny jeans and they are a very unforgiving garment if you put weight on, so much better at keeping you on the straight and narrow than elasticated waists.

I don't have much weight to lose really, I wear anything from a size 12 to a 16 depending on how I like it to fit but I just have about 14-20 lbs that I would like to shift, I do build muscle super quick which I think accounts for some of the reason I am surprisingly heavy plus I am tall.

I like this thread and that we all have different amounts of weight to deal with but no one is judging just supportive.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 8th Dec 17, 11:19 AM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am 5'10" so it is easy to add half a stone without it being obvious. This is not a good thing and is the reason I use the scales as well as my own judgement. I have size 9 feet so skinny jeans would not be a good look but I have graduated from bootcut to straight as the weight has reduced.
    I am pear shaped and that doesn't change whatever happens on the scales. Running was helping with the wobbly bits but I was injured for 9 months out of the last 12 so it is not something I can rely on.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 8th Dec 17, 11:22 AM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl

St Nicholas visited today and I ate chocolate. DH is being made redundant so another international move is likely...nice of them to do it when he's burying his father-not!
    Originally posted by TiredTrophy
    Some organisations just have no heart - so sorry TT.

My DH was made redundant the week before Christmas a few years ago - in the end it was the best thing that could have happened but that is with hindsight and the first year was pretty stressful. He now earns considerably less but is much happier and likely to survive into retirement (which was not looking likely with the stress and travel schedule he had before).
    • CathA
    • By CathA 8th Dec 17, 8:25 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 4,306 Thanks
    CathA
    Bernie the Bolt!

Originally posted by MallyGirl
    That brought back memories! I always thought when I was a kid that we'd never be able to go on 'The Golden Shot' as the tv was in the lounge in the corner and the landline phone was out in the hall on its own special telephone table. We wouldn't have been able to see the tv when on the phone- lost opportunity there!

Anyway, the batteries have gone in the scales, so I'll have to do my weigh in later.

Happy Friday everyone x
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 8th Dec 17, 11:10 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 9,821 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Originally posted by TiredTrophy
    So sorry to hear that TT
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Dec 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 9,821 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I just had to share this. Got weighed this morning BMI 29.9 so I'm officially in the overweight range not the obese range. The last time I was here was in the 80's - I'm happy
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 9th Dec 17, 9:02 AM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 31,323 Thanks
    dolly84
    I just had to share this. Got weighed this morning BMI 29.9 so I'm officially in the overweight range not the obese range. The last time I was here was in the 80's - I'm happy
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Well done.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

287Posts Today

1,465Users online

Martin's Twitter