Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,342Posts
    • 17,803Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 60
    • CathA
    • By CathA 26th Nov 17, 4:31 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 4,306 Thanks
    CathA
    Reporting a slight gain this week, .2lb back on so total overall is 1.2 lb. Not bad as my 'all fruit Thursdays' have sort of gone out the window! My hours at work have changed, so now I start at 10. BUT the lovely lady in the canteen makes fried bread for me (and others, but they'd better leave some for me!) so I can't resist. There is also bacon (and she cooks that beautifully too) and this week there was a random carrot cake needing to be eaten. Apart from those items, I did do the rest of Thursday as 'all fruit Thursday' mostly. Added to that I finally met my friend on Friday at last, we just couldn't get together, so that was another coffee and cake session (well, in my case coffee and a bacon roll, see where I'm going there?)
    I've got the staff Christmas lunch a week Thursday, and I'm not not having that! I'm going to have to change my fruit day to another day, but not sure when yet?

Anyway, I'm still a stone less than I was, so chin up, chest out, I can do this!

Happy Sunday everyone. x
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 26th Nov 17, 5:12 PM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 8,990 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    -1lb for me please knitwitch
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 26th Nov 17, 5:18 PM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 8,990 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Hello all after a long time not posting!

First of all I just want to wish Cranky a speedy healing.

I am here because I still have a weight issue in spite of multiple fad diets, spending a small fortune on nutritionists and trying a number of different ways to lose weight, all failed.

Tomorrow morning have an appointment with my GP and I will ask her to refer me to an NHS registered dietician. Has anyone had experience of this?

Really all I want is to be reassured and given plain and simple guidelines. Over the years I have become a food phobic nervous wreck, so many foods seem to have become The Enemy, my last thing was Low FODMAP but I don't have IBS so I don't know why she put me on this regime, and charging me through the nose. Also prescribed weird supplements that cost nearly £100 per month! Luckily I.have managed to cancel the most expensive ones. I don't mind paying for a good quality multivitamin but am so fed up of taking multiple tablets. And no results. I'd be happy to pay if the results showed but I'm still fat, I still crave this and that, I am still tired.

I hope to get some sensible advice, put this craze into context and finally move on in a saner direction, diet-wise.

Comments and suggestions will be really welcome. Thank you.
    Originally posted by Caterina
    My honest advice to anyone is avoid nutritionists like the plague. Anybody can call themselves one, even if they've never picked up a book in their life on the subject. Too many people don't realise the difference between a nutritionist and a dietitian. Dietitians must be qualified and are regulated. I know several people who have been on wacky diets from quack nutritionist and honestly some of the advice and diagnosis methods have made me wonder how people can be so gullible.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 26th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2,653 Posts
    • 27,524 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Caterina, from what I remember of you, you are a healthy eating vegetarian? Your starting point should be to ask your GP for a test of your Vit B, Iron and Vit D levels.

Looking closely at what you crave should give you a bit of a heads up. I have been craving chinese takeaway for about 4 days. Now it's here it appears that it's beef that I want. I have already been warned to up my protein intake as the wound in my leg is using (and losing) a lot of protein. I've been a bit off colour due to antibiotics though, so my brain has tricked me into ordering something that I usually see as a treat to obtain the protein that my body needs.

As far as I can see the exception to this is the diabetic/sugar cycle. I am told that diabetics have intense sugar cravings. Can anyone shed any light?

Having hit the menopause I am also finding it way harder than I used to to lose weight.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 26th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2,653 Posts
    • 27,524 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    p.s. I am still fat too and very, very sore. Thank you all for your kindness and good wishes.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 26th Nov 17, 9:08 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 39,445 Thanks
    Caterina
    Thank you Dandy-candy and Cranky yes I am a sort of healthy eating vegetarian but I eat too much and get stuck on sugar when it's presented to me. E.g. I can avoid it if I don't have it home but then go to choir rehearsal, they serve mince pies and I'm lost. I'll see what the GP says tomorrow.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 27th Nov 17, 9:04 AM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 31,323 Thanks
    dolly84
    Caterina - I have two friends who are both state registered dieticians and they both recommend simple home cooked food to their patients. One of them works with people in recovery from transplant surgery and the other works with obese children and their families. Neither of them recommend cutting out certain food groups or anything faddy at all. Sugar is a big problem for so many and it contributes massively to tiredness but I think Cranky is right about a blood test.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 27th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 40,402 Thanks
    monnagran
    dolly, I agree with your friend. The moment someone tells me not to eat a certain food I start craving it immediately. I think that the only way forward is to eat what you usually eat but in smaller portions and not to snack.
    Now......if only I could take my own advice.

WI day today and I feel like Victor Meldrew, I DO NOT BELIEVE IT.

it's STS again.

This must be the 4th week in a row. Possibly due to some comfort eating when I lost the sale of my house and lack of exercise due to having a tricky editing job.

Must try harder before the multitudinous Christmas meals sets in.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 27th Nov 17, 2:22 PM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    afternoon all

I had a crazily busy weekend but tried to make sensible food choices when there were any choices to make. I suspect tomorrow's WI won't be great but we'll see

B: honey nut shredded wheat, berries, skim
    L: caramelised onion humous, asparagus, some beetroot salad that needed eating, marinated anchovies
    D: SC gammon

45 min wet dog walk
    • jules81
    • By jules81 28th Nov 17, 1:01 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    jules81
    can i join you please???? i was a member back early in the year and have spent 5 months is a MH unit-I want to take control of some areas of my life-food is one BIG one

I weighed in this morning at 325.3 lbs will weigh in on mon, not sure how many mon there are left in the year.

I am cal counting with healthy eating and need all help i can get

xxxx
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 28th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 10,278 Thanks
    Florence J
    Pleased to report a 2lb loss
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2129.92
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 28th Nov 17, 10:33 AM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 31,323 Thanks
    dolly84
    monnagran - it's so annoying when it just won't shift, I hope you lose something soon.

I ran last night and for the first time ever (even going back 20 years) I ran the whole of my route without walking. I have been running for many years in total but I come and go with it but this time I have really broken the back of it.

I have cycled this morning and it was bracing, my poor thumbs were very painful, it was icy too so I had to take it easy on the downhills. Will run this evening I think but probably just 5k.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 28th Nov 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 26,188 Thanks
    short_bird
    Dear All,
    I'm doing penance for not dropping in to visit. The story so far: I had to reduce my thyroid medications after the most recent blood test and wasn't entirely sure how that would go and if it would affect levels of my other meds. I'm feeling a lot calmer but still an insomniac (either can't go to sleep or waking at 5am...) Also, I'm happier in myself if that makes sense.

Anyway. Lost 7lbs since I last checked in; I will say that yes, the d&v bug I got from work probably helped but I haven't gained weight since regaining my appetite.

So, my best wishes to you all on the run up to the end of the year. (I'll be back...)
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 28th Nov 17, 11:29 AM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    morning all

WI today and its another +1lb so I am now back to where I was at the start of this challenge.

B: honey nut shredded wheat, berries, skim
    L: caramelised onion humous, salad
    D: LO gammon

Running behind so no dog walk as yet but I have to walk to school later for parents eve.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 28th Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    • 4,182 Posts
    • 28,848 Thanks
    tessie bear
    welcome back jules best of luck with it

im struggling with the cold keep wanting to eat things...must get a grip hope everyone is well xx
    on the brink...
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 29th Nov 17, 10:49 AM
    • 4,182 Posts
    • 28,848 Thanks
    tessie bear
    minus 1 lb for me please knit witch

been thinking about the next challenge not sure if i will have a target or wether i will try and keep my weight steady as meaningful weight losses seem to be a thing of the past i have struggled all my life with steady so that would be a big achievment and avoid the disappointment of no decent losses.....will muse further as i enjoy checking in here and the chat so dont want to give upbut keep feeling fed up as im having great weeks but the losses arent following

any thoughts ? good luck with weigh ins xx
    on the brink...
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 29th Nov 17, 3:42 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 29,319 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    can i join you please???? i was a member back early in the year and have spent 5 months is a MH unit-I want to take control of some areas of my life-food is one BIG one

I weighed in this morning at 325.3 lbs will weigh in on mon, not sure how many mon there are left in the year.

I am cal counting with healthy eating and need all help i can get

xxxx
    Originally posted by jules81
    Good to see you back Jules81! There are three weeks left on the challenge if that helps at all
    V3ry - £555.59
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 29th Nov 17, 3:45 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 29,319 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Arrietty … 3/8
    BearPearSun … 0/4.4
    Binsky … 0/14
    Cappella … 0/7
    Carmen … 7.48/13.2
    CathA … 1.2/4
    CRANKY40 … 4.5/7
    Dandy-candy … 2/6
    Debbiedodge1737 … 4/14
    Dolly84 … 3/10
    Donnajt … 6.5/10
    Dumpling …9/15
    Florence J … +2/7
    Fuddle … 3/4
    FurryBeastOz … 5.7/12
    Gresleyrover … +0.8/5
    Karcher … 4/7
    Katiepants … 2/20
    Knit Witch … 5.26/10
    Lynnejk … 7/8
    Maisie M … 3/14
    MallyGirl … 0/6
    Monnagran … 2/5
    PJ1 … 3.5/11
    Sa1sysoo … +2/14
    Short_bird … 7.5/6
    SIRENS … 7.5/16
    Sue14 … 0/12
    Tessie bear … 3/13
    TiredTrophy … 1/10
    Weewdy … 0/7
    Zafiro1984 … 9.75/14

7 st 2.09 lb
    V3ry - £555.59
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 30th Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 39,445 Thanks
    Caterina
    Thank you Dolly84 that's my inkling too. I seem to put on weight eating simple regular meals, perhaps I just need to address portion control and drop the snacks. My bloods are ok inc. thyroid. So I know it's not a dietary imbalance. The GP has now referred me so I look forward to seeing the dietician.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 30th Nov 17, 10:14 AM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    minus 1 lb for me please knit witch

been thinking about the next challenge not sure if i will have a target or wether i will try and keep my weight steady as meaningful weight losses seem to be a thing of the past i have struggled all my life with steady so that would be a big achievment and avoid the disappointment of no decent losses.....will muse further as i enjoy checking in here and the chat so dont want to give upbut keep feeling fed up as im having great weeks but the losses arent following

any thoughts ? good luck with weigh ins xx
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    I am going through the same thoughts tessie. Maintaining seems to be all I can do right now - I eat healthily but I just can't bring myself to eat less (and DH gets stroppy). More exercise is the only way forward for me I think - but life is just ridiculously busy right now. I have asked for the smallest membership at a local spa for Christmas - it gives me 3 evening visits in the year which would be nice. More importantly it allows me to PAYG at the sister gym next door which is the nicest in the area. That way I can see if I will get the use out of it without a big commitment. DD is doing her GCSEs in May/June so I expect I will be able to escape there in the evening now and then as she will be revising.
    I know I need to do some strength work as I kept getting injuries after I took up running last year. Also there is a history of osteoporosis in the family and I don't eat dairy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

1,251Users online

Martin's Twitter